PDA

View Full Version : OU oughta just put 8 in the box every down...

bent rider
8/16/2009, 05:47 PM
Harvey Unga (RB) and Pitta (TE) are pretty good, but that is about it out of the byu offense. With their rookie doughboy OL and injuries mounting, there is no way Hall is going to have time to throw downfield.

Jacie
8/16/2009, 06:08 PM
I thought this would be about sa*et . . .

yermom
8/16/2009, 07:25 PM
so why would we give them more of a chance to throw down field?

i'm thinking we'd drop back and make sure nothing stupid happens since they should have trouble running on us

and hopefully we have a few TD lead by the 2nd quarter :D

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 07:57 PM
31-7 at half

bent rider
8/17/2009, 10:44 AM
so why would we give them more of a chance to throw down field?

i'm thinking we'd drop back and make sure nothing stupid happens since they should have trouble running on us

Well, Harvey Unga is a pretty good back. Granted he needs someone up front to make a block for him.

soonerfan28
8/17/2009, 11:05 AM
We don't need to put 8 in the box when you have the DL that we do. No more then 5 every few plays should do the trick.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/17/2009, 11:08 AM
We could put McCoy at the nose and drop ten d-backs deep and 93 will stop their run game by himself.

stoopified
8/17/2009, 11:18 AM
We could put McCoy at the nose and drop ten d-backs deep and 93 will stop their run game by himself.:) -the vaunted 1-10 D.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/17/2009, 11:22 AM
And on the goalline we can go with the 1-1-9 with Travis Lewis at LB. That is if they ever get to the goalline.

badger
8/17/2009, 11:24 AM
1-1-9? 1-10 defenses?

I am going to pretend that I don't get the joke and be the one to spoil your guys' fun and say "Hey, aren't you required to have at least three people on the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball?"

:P

TahoeSOONER
8/17/2009, 11:26 AM
Reminder, BYU is a top 25 team and is very well coached and OU better come to play. It's expected with all the vets on this team but BYU is a serious opener.

With that said, let's go hang a half a hundred on that mormon ***.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2009, 11:27 AM
1-1-9? 1-10 defenses?

I am going to pretend that I don't get the joke and be the one to spoil your guys' fun and say "Hey, aren't you required to have at least three people on the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball?"

Throw a wet blanket on 'em Badj. That's just mean.
:)

Salt City Sooner
8/17/2009, 11:28 AM
:) -the vaunted 1-10 D.
A&M actually did this against the old run & shoot Houston Cougars one year back in the late 80's (pretty sure it was '89 'cause I think Ware won the Heisman that year). Kicked their butt with it too, IIRC.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/17/2009, 11:31 AM
1-1-9? 1-10 defenses?

I am going to pretend that I don't get the joke and be the one to spoil your guys' fun and say "Hey, aren't you required to have at least three people on the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball?":P

I wasn't aware of this. Does anybody else know for sure?

badger
8/17/2009, 11:45 AM
Perhaps my killjoy moment really wasn't. I know that there's a requirement of 5 offensive linemen on the LoS, but is there a requirement for the defensive line? I am not 100 percent sure now :(

SoonerInFortSmith
8/17/2009, 11:53 AM
Actually, you have to have 7 on the LOS on offense. killjoy!

badger
8/17/2009, 12:00 PM
Actually, you have to have 7 on the LOS on offense. killjoy!

Right... with the receivers... I was talking the big guys in the middle.

And yes, I am a killjoy... but offseason looms, so whadaya gonna do? :P

SoonerInFortSmith
8/17/2009, 12:02 PM
In contrast to members of the offense, the rules of professional football (NFL Rulebook) and American college football NCAA Rulebook) do not specify starting position, movement, or coverage zones for members of the defensive team, except that they must be in the defensive zone at the start of play

Taken from the american football entry in Wikipedia. Yeah, I know. But still.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/17/2009, 12:03 PM
Right... with the receivers... I was talking the big guys in the middle.

And yes, I am a woman... but offseason looms, so whadaya gonna do? :P

fixed it for you.:eek: :D

badger
8/17/2009, 12:06 PM
Forgive me for my womanhood, but what the eff does "defensive zone" mean as per football rules?

SoonerInFortSmith
8/17/2009, 12:09 PM
On the defensive side of the LOS and in the field of play.

badger
8/17/2009, 12:12 PM
On the defensive side of the LOS and in the field of play.

:mad: They could have just said that...

Ah well, I wonder if the 3-men-on-line-of-scrimmage is kind of an unwritten rule, as you hardly ever see a team that doesn't do this?

SoonerInFortSmith
8/17/2009, 12:17 PM
If you don't have people up there you are just begging to get run on. Even sand aggies would run the ball against that kind of defense. The only time this "unwritten rule" is broken is in hail mary type situations, and even then most teams will still rush at least 3 just to make it a little tougher on the QB.

goingoneight
8/17/2009, 12:43 PM
Why not put 11 DL up front? Not like McCoy and Talor have never had interceptions before. :D

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2009, 12:44 PM
Forgive me for my womanhood, but what the eff does "defensive zone" mean as per football rules?

Can't be off-sides.

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 12:45 PM
"Field Goal Block Team, get your asses out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Jacie
8/17/2009, 02:42 PM
1-1-9? 1-10 defenses?

If so, then how is it the offense can sometimes catch the defense before they lined up, snap the ball and it not be a penalty? The Sooners did it last year against the nebbish, I think, and scored on that play.

badger
8/17/2009, 02:46 PM
If so, then how is it the offense can sometimes catch the defense before they lined up, snap the ball and it not be a penalty? The Sooners did it last year against the nebbish, I think, and scored on that play.

You must have ignored the last dozen or so posts where we mutually established that this was not the case, but I'll take the bait...

Would you accept or decline a 5-yard penalty instead of taking a touchdown against Nebbish? Exactly - plays where the defense are so outta whack that they aren't lined up correctly are usually huge gains (or TD's), so no need to pay attention to those defensive penalties or non-penalties or whatever the yellow hankie is doing outside the ref's pocket.

Jacie
8/17/2009, 02:48 PM
You must have ignored the last dozen or so posts where we mutually established that this was not the case, but I'll take the bait...

Would you accept or decline a 5-yard penalty instead of taking a touchdown against Nebbish? Exactly - plays where the defense are so outta whack that they aren't lined up correctly are usually huge gains (or TD's), so no need to pay attention to those defensive penalties or non-penalties or whatever the yellow hankie is doing outside the ref's pocket.

I think they have to be called in order to be declined . . .

goingoneight
8/17/2009, 09:27 PM
We should play Dom, BJack, Sam P and QC up front with English and Beal at corner and GK and AT play free and strong.