PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spikes still got OU on the brain...

adoniijahsooner
8/16/2009, 10:52 AM
and says we are the dirtiest team he's played.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/08/brandon-spikes-calls-oklahoma-cheapshot-artists.html#comments

Gators LB Brandon Spikes calls Oklahoma dirty
posted by Jeremy Fowler on Aug 15, 2009 1:51:22 PM
Discuss This: Comments (3) | TrackBack (0) | Linking Blogs | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it
Seven months after the national title game, LB Brandon Spikes is still thinking about Oklahoma.

When asked about the dirtiest players on the team, Spikes segued straight to Florida’s opponent in last season’s Bowl Championship Series national title game.

“Compared to Oklahoma, you won’t find anyone (as dirty),” Spikes said.

With Florida’s expectations as a national title favorite, the Gators and Sooners could meet in Pasadena for a second straight title game.

“That’s going to be fun if we play them,” DE Carlos Dunlap said.

Spikes also can’t shake thoughts of Ole Miss, the only team to beat Florida in 2008.

“To lose in front of Gators fans at home, I just remind the guys we can’t have that,” Spikes said.

delhalew
8/16/2009, 12:13 PM
Of all the people to run their mouth...there's a special place in hell for you mister spikes.

Soonerman08
8/16/2009, 12:17 PM
and says we are the dirtiest team he's played.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/08/brandon-spikes-calls-oklahoma-cheapshot-artists.html#comments

Throwing your helmet into the opposing teams' receiver, and causing blatant pass interference. Running out on the field without a helmet on, moving the ball before the snap causing a delay of game, etc. These were the tactics that the Florida defense employed and Teblow in the game, and we are called dirty?

I am really wondering what we did that was so dirty? There were a few holding calls on Duke, but those were hardly dirty. If our receivers and our 6' 7" TE outrunning their lightspeed defenders is called dirty then I guess we are guilty as charged. :D

adoniijahsooner
8/16/2009, 12:32 PM
Throwing your helmet into the opposing teams' receiver, and causing blatant pass interference. Running out on the field without a helmet on, moving the ball before the snap causing a delay of game, etc. These were the tactics that the Florida defense employed and Teblow in the game, and we are called dirty?

I am really wondering what we did that was so dirty? There were a few holding calls on Duke, but those were hardly dirty. If our receivers and our 6' 7" TE outrunning their lightspeed defenders is called dirty then I guess we are guilty as charged. :D

When nic accidentally twisted Harvin's ankle.;)

rainiersooner
8/16/2009, 12:35 PM
He's a punk. I would love to replay Florida.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/16/2009, 12:46 PM
Spikes has a has the IQ of a lava rock

Seamus
8/16/2009, 12:57 PM

Interesting. A person with Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease would have brain tissue that loosely resembles lava rock. You might be onto something.

MojoRisen
8/16/2009, 01:02 PM
Tell him to put on his pink Pimp Suite and Shut TFU

Curly Bill
8/16/2009, 01:14 PM
I like it when our enemies talk about us -- means we're relevant. ;)

You don't hear peeps talking about Iowa State or Rice like this.

SoonerShay
8/16/2009, 01:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhXm0qxxaA

Seriously Brandon Spikes you might want to shut the hell up.

adoniijahsooner
8/16/2009, 01:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhXm0qxxaA

Seriously Brandon Spikes you might want to shut the hell up.

Video always tells the truth

goingoneight
8/16/2009, 03:41 PM
Don't you just love how "OSUCherokee" always posts something negative about OU on EVERY Sooner YouTube video?

Penis envy... yep... OSUCherokee's got it.

ThatGuy65
8/16/2009, 06:15 PM
Video always tells the truth

In Spikes' defense, he was hit again while on the ground, which is also a penalty. If we're going to say Spikes was dirty for the slap, you have to say Williams is dirty too. I think Spikes is an idiot, but that one play shows two players being dirty.

TXBOOMER
8/16/2009, 06:18 PM

How dare you insult a lava rock like that Sir?

sooneron
8/16/2009, 08:35 PM
Puhleeeeaze let us play the anointed one and the swamp trash in a state other than fla this year!

CrimsonJim
8/16/2009, 08:36 PM
Amen! ^^^

G8trGr8t
8/16/2009, 09:42 PM
In Spikes' defense, he was hit again while on the ground, which is also a penalty. If we're going to say Spikes was dirty for the slap, you have to say Williams is dirty too. I think Spikes is an idiot, but that one play shows two players being dirty.

Funny how everybody wanted to look right past the forearm to the back of the head on that play.

Nic Harris twisted on Harvin's ankle, put his knee on Tebows helmet while getting up, facemask tackle on Demps, and more trash talking than anybody else. Tebow has one personal foul in his college career and it was directed at Nic, that should tell you all you need to know. I don't expect anybody to acknowledge it but I have watched the game multiple times and Harris was always into something after almost every play.

Calling Spikes out for reacting to a blow to the back of his head while he was on the ground while ignoring harris's shenanigans? Pot, meet kettle.

G8trGr8t
8/16/2009, 09:45 PM
Puhleeeeaze let us play the anointed one and the swamp trash in a state other than fla this year!

We can agree on that, even Spikes wants that to happen. If OU takes care of their business, it has a chance of happening.

sooneron
8/16/2009, 09:51 PM
Yes, we had all forgotten about the fact that we were playing the Gainesville altar boys. :rolleyes:

0fJxN3DWQCI&feature=related

I find it laughable that everyone here is pretty much saying that it is Spikes that needs to stfu b/c he was obviously engaged in some ****. There was dirty **** going both ways. How do we not know that T Williams was retaliating against Spikes for something prior? If someone is going to start talking to the media about it, they'd better not have something so readily available on youtube. Yet, you come here and call us out? Uh, ok.
Judging by your spek, you may want to go somewhere that you might be wanted. I'm guessing your parent's house won't be on that short list.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/16/2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah because there is no doubt Florida rolls everyone....

sooneron
8/16/2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah because there is no doubt Florida rolls everyone....

They did last year,.... oh wait!

Curly Bill
8/16/2009, 10:21 PM
Tebow has one personal foul in his college career and it was directed at Nic, that should tell you all you need to know.

I guess Nic doesn't get into Heaven now. Tebow'll probably veto it.

rainiersooner
8/17/2009, 12:33 AM
Tebow has one personal foul in his college career and it was directed at Nic, that should tell you all you need to know.

Of course, there's no way he would ever be capable of committing a personal foul. It must be someone else's fault! Please.

OU_Sooners75
8/17/2009, 01:58 AM

Where exactly was he hit again when he was on the ground?

I see a player blocking him...and said player fell to the ground too.

hardly a dirty or intentional hit on Williams part.

OU_Sooners75
8/17/2009, 02:00 AM
My .02 on the issue of the video...

The refs handled it completely correct.

Emotions are running high in that game. I seen where the ref got in the middle and it appeared it talked to both players.

After that play, I never seen another punch thrown by Spikes.

OU_Sooners75
8/17/2009, 02:04 AM
Yes, we had all forgotten about the fact that we were playing the Gainesville altar boys. :rolleyes:

0fJxN3DWQCI&feature=related

I find it laughable that everyone here is pretty much saying that it is Spikes that needs to stfu b/c he was obviously engaged in some ****. There was dirty **** going both ways. How do we not know that T Williams was retaliating against Spikes for something prior? If someone is going to start talking to the media about it, they'd better not have something so readily available on youtube. Yet, you come here and call us out? Uh, ok.
Judging by your spek, you may want to go somewhere that you might be wanted. I'm guessing your parent's house won't be on that short list.

Not trying to stick up for Florida or anything...but if that had been a Florida WR and an OU defender, you would have been complimenting the OU player for a well timed play.

And that is exactly what that was. Yes, leading with the helmet looked pretty bad, but so goes the game of football.

goingoneight
8/17/2009, 02:23 AM
I thought the MNC game was played great defensively by both sides. I'm not a fan of calling piddly stuff like Nic and his supposed ankle wrenching. If you'll watch that play, Harris HAD to completely trip up Harvin because there's no way he could have known if he didn't whether PH was down or not. Even Thom Brenaman took a break from slobbering over Tebow to point this out. As for the Spikes/Williams play... that's typical trench play... happens every down, every game with every team. There's a reason why the line judges run in there and break it up everytime the play's over.

OU_Sooners75
8/17/2009, 02:46 AM
I thought the MNC game was played great defensively by both sides. I'm not a fan of calling piddly stuff like Nic and his supposed ankle wrenching. If you'll watch that play, Harris HAD to completely trip up Harvin because there's no way he could have known if he didn't whether PH was down or not. Even Thom Brenaman took a break from slobbering over Tebow to point this out. As for the Spikes/Williams play... that's typical trench play... happens every down, every game with every team. There's a reason why the line judges run in there and break it up everytime the play's over.

You mean the, referee, umpire and field judge, right?

Line judges, spot the line of scrimmage and run with the play.

At least that is what I have always thought.

Crimson Dynasty
8/17/2009, 05:24 AM
Funny how everybody wanted to look right past the forearm to the back of the head on that play.

Nic Harris twisted on Harvin's ankle, put his knee on Tebows helmet while getting up, facemask tackle on Demps, and more trash talking than anybody else. Tebow has one personal foul in his college career and it was directed at Nic, that should tell you all you need to know. I don't expect anybody to acknowledge it but I have watched the game multiple times and Harris was always into something after almost every play.

Calling Spikes out for reacting to a blow to the back of his head while he was on the ground while ignoring harris's shenanigans? Pot, meet kettle.

It's also funny how you want to dismiss #74 (Simmons, I believe) pile-drive your #94 into Spikes & Williams effectively knocking everybody off their feet like bowling pins. Williams' feet went out from underneath him in the same direction as the whole pile's momentum & with consistent timing. It's called the trenches for a reason. When you get the big-uglys knocking heads around down there, someone is bound to get fell on from time to time. Seems to me that Spikes needs to 'suck it up' or stay out of the trenches. The same might be said for your assessment I put in bold letters :rolleyes:.

Moreover, anyone who has watched football knows that throwing a blatant strike at another player after the play is over is usually the one that gets the yellow hanky. You, sir, should be content with the obvious that Spikes didn't cost your team some yardage for his unsportsmanlike antics. But, as life goes, the unpunished are the first to point fingers & your ignorance must be blissful. Just like winning the crystal ball, try to enjoy it for a change and act like you've been there before ;) . We hope to see you again in January. I trust your team will take care of their business too. Watch-out for the "trash talking" along the way...somebody might get hurt out there!!! :texan:

Crimson Dynasty
8/17/2009, 05:49 AM
Not trying to stick up for Florida or anything...but if that had been a Florida WR and an OU defender, you would have been complimenting the OU player for a well timed play.

And that is exactly what that was. Yes, leading with the helmet looked pretty bad, but so goes the game of football.

I'll have to kindly disagree with you on this one. The hit was early, plain and simple, in my book. Had the team's roles been reversed as you suggested, I would still say it was an early hit and should have, by rules, been flagged. But, the difference in that hypothetical situation is that I would be hanging-on to the hope that we wouldn't get the penalty, just as certainly as I'm sure most honest Gator fans were thinking at that very moment. At least that's what I'll go to my grave believing :D

AlbqSooner
8/17/2009, 05:51 AM

I agree in general terms with your post. However, when the pass hits the defender in the back of the head, I have to believe the defender got there before the ball. Pass interference - uncalled.

cheezyq
8/17/2009, 07:18 AM
...leading with the helmet looked pretty bad, but so goes the game of football.

That's why it's illegal and dirty. If our player had done the same thing, I'd be pissed. Dude should have been ejected for that hit, as a shove would have accomplished the same thing. Instead he lays out trying to cause an injury. That's the pinnacle of dirty, and probably what started all the crap afterward, as it happened VERY early in the game. At the VERY least, he and the UF bench should have gotten an unsportsmanlike for taunting.

On a similar note, it's fitting that Brandon Spikes initials are B.S. since he's full of it.

beer4me
8/17/2009, 07:31 AM

I'll have you know I have several lava rocks in my yard and they are actually pretty sharp:D

goingoneight
8/17/2009, 08:37 AM
Linebackers should shut their pie-holes about dirty football. They are the meanest and cheapest "hitters" on the field by trade.

NormanPride
8/17/2009, 08:55 AM
Lame.

We need to beat them next time, and that's all.

adoniijahsooner
8/17/2009, 09:05 AM
Lame.

We need to beat them next time, and that's all.

and then circumcise tebow, just to show spikes how grimy we truly can be.

tigepilot
8/17/2009, 09:15 AM
I agree in general terms with your post. However, when the pass hits the defender in the back of the head, I have to believe the defender got there before the ball. Pass interference - uncalled.

+1

Textbook pass interference and it wasn't called. I thought it also set the tone for the game in that it was obvious Forida was going to be allowed to get away some ****.

I'm not one to say it's why OU lost though (several missed opportunities did OU in). Just don't tell me that play was called correctly.

Okie35
8/17/2009, 10:34 AM

You meant when tried to pull his legs back so he wouldn't try to stretch for more yardage right?! He had his hands on BOTH legs not on 1 ankle besides the fact Harvin said he was 100 percent or close to it so it shouldn't matter plus he was taped up. Either way the game was called badly on both sides honestly but who cares its over and done with. You should worry about your team not repeating.

Okie35
8/17/2009, 10:50 AM

but it didn't happen that way... yea leading w/ the helmet looks bad but hitting someone before they touch the ball looks like a pass interference to me

http://i31.tinypic.com/2dhw80i.gif

just saying (in general during a national championship game they should really pay attention to replay monitors and use them to make better calls)

NorCaligator
8/17/2009, 04:08 PM
Lots of calls and no calls both ways. Its that way in pretty much every game. Yeah, Spikes hit the guy. Looked like retaliation. Wright looked a little early. I thought it was a penalty when it happened, and was relieved when there was no flag. I thought your O-line held a lot, and didn't get called much for it. This could go on and on as we dissect each play, but what's the point?

I'm not a fan of players talking through the media - I'd rather see it on the field. Spikes made his comments for reasons known to him. But he can back it up on the field.

Soonerman08
8/17/2009, 04:13 PM

When the ball hits the defender in the back, that is textbook pass interference. Aside with the personal foul of throwing the helmet into the receiver.

TahoeSOONER
8/17/2009, 04:40 PM
If my safety lights up their WR that early on a close play I give him a good hit pat on the @ss and tell him to find them all. It's called setting the tone and he's out there doing what he should be doing.

Neverless, it was PI and I'm suprised no one threw a flag. The taunting at the very least should've been called but they were gonna let them play.

OU lost the game for not closing in the redzone for what seemed like the first time all year, that game was a heartbreaker.

Kudos to FU for protecting their backyard and I really hope we get another shot in the Grand Daddy of them All.

Statalyzer
8/17/2009, 05:03 PM
Harris was definitely taking a cheap shot at Harvin, but Spikes is the last guy who should be calling anyone else out for cheap shots.

gotpoi73
8/17/2009, 05:17 PM
is this the same florida team with 24 arrests under oscar mayer?

NorCaligator
8/17/2009, 05:20 PM
is this the same florida team with 24 arrests under oscar mayer?

Yawn.

soonervegas
8/17/2009, 05:34 PM
and then circumcise tebow, just to show spikes how grimy we truly can be.

I would rather see him crucified.

delhalew
8/17/2009, 05:55 PM
Every time I see that I want his head on a platter. You dont put your helmet on a guys chin unless your trying to hurt somebody. The defenders were beat and thats all he knew to do about it. Scumbag.

NorCaligator
8/17/2009, 06:33 PM
I thought he should have gone for the interception. He certainly had the angle, but chose to go for the hit instead. If Wright loses his starting spot this year, it will be for decisions like that. With a different safety, that's an INT. Without a doubt, he could have knocked it away. To say he was beat isn't quite accurate.

Scott D
8/17/2009, 06:39 PM

I'm going to call shenanigans on this post. Thom Brennaman is still slobbering over Tebow during MLB games he's broadcasting that have absolutely nothing to do with Tebow.

delhalew
8/17/2009, 07:05 PM
I thought he should have gone for the interception. He certainly had the angle, but chose to go for the hit instead. If Wright loses his starting spot this year, it will be for decisions like that. With a different safety, that's an INT. Without a doubt, he could have knocked it away. To say he was beat isn't quite accurate.

Apparently he was beat because he couldn't time his hit right, couldn't make a legal hit, and couldn't knock it away. He got away with it, but there wasn't one about that hit that was right. Beat literally, perhaps not, but he obviously fails at even pretending to know the rules of his sport.

o0Dan0o
8/18/2009, 12:04 AM

By my count, there are three fouls on this play by one player.

A) leading with the helmet,

"ARTICLE 3. a. No player shall initiate contact and target an opponent with
the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul."

B) hitting a defenseless opponent above the shoulders

"No player shall initiate contact and target a defenseless opponent
above the shoulders. When in question, it is a foul. (Refer to Points of
Emphasis on FR-9 for a description of “Defenseless Player.”)"

FR-9: "...The pass receiver whose concentration is on the ball;"

C) Pass interference,

"Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B
player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it could
prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward
pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable..."

A and B are the same rule, but two different fouls. That is about the cheapest shot you can take. I think that one play is grounds for ejection, but hey, the game is 8 months dead.
Dan

OU_Sooners75
8/18/2009, 12:33 AM
but it didn't happen that way... yea leading w/ the helmet looks bad but hitting someone before they touch the ball looks like a pass interference to me

just saying (in general during a national championship game they should really pay attention to replay monitors and use them to make better calls)

If I was a ref in that game, I would not have called a penalty either.

1. The ball arrived at virtually the same time the defender did.
2. in real time, it would have been a fraction of a fraction of a second before the ball....so way too close to call.

And if you want to talk about leading with the head, maybe you should reference to the hit Quinton Carter put on Jeremy Maclin in the Big 12 Championship game last year.

Virtually the same type of play, yet we Sooners are congratulating Carter on a great play.

Like I stated previously, had the situation been reversed, we all would have been commenting on how great the defensive play was.

OU_Sooners75
8/18/2009, 12:37 AM
If my safety lights up their WR that early on a close play I give him a good hit pat on the @ss and tell him to find them all. It's called setting the tone and he's out there doing what he should be doing.

Neverless, it was PI and I'm suprised no one threw a flag. The taunting at the very least should've been called but they were gonna let them play.

OU lost the game for not closing in the redzone for what seemed like the first time all year, that game was a heartbreaker.

Kudos to FU for protecting their backyard and I really hope we get another shot in the Grand Daddy of them All.

I for one hope we are not playing in the "Grand Daddy of them All."

That would mean we are not playing for the National Championship.

OU_Sooners75
8/18/2009, 12:39 AM
When the ball hits the defender in the back, that is textbook pass interference. Aside with the personal foul of throwing the helmet into the receiver.

The ball did not hit the defender in the back until after it hit the receiver in the hands.

After looking at the slower motion of it, the defender did in fact lead with his head and against a defenseless player. That should have been called.

However, like I stated in a previous post. Had I been reffing the game, I would probably not thrown a flag either because in real time, it looked like a beautiful defensive play.

OU_Sooners75
8/18/2009, 12:43 AM
Lots of calls and no calls both ways. Its that way in pretty much every game. Yeah, Spikes hit the guy. Looked like retaliation. Wright looked a little early. I thought it was a penalty when it happened, and was relieved when there was no flag. I thought your O-line held a lot, and didn't get called much for it. This could go on and on as we dissect each play, but what's the point?

I'm not a fan of players talking through the media - I'd rather see it on the field. Spikes made his comments for reasons known to him. But he can back it up on the field.

Spikes really did not impress me much in that game.

Our OLine pretty much kept him silenced the entire game and that is the reason he is running his mouth now.

budbarrybob
8/18/2009, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=G8trGr8t;2665564]...more trash talking than anybody else. QUOTE]

Cause everyone was mic'ed up and you could here them right? every game right? Not gonna argue the other points because they are legit, but it is a Football game right?

budbarrybob
8/18/2009, 09:24 AM
And if you want to talk about leading with the head, maybe you should reference to the hit Quinton Carter put on Jeremy Maclin in the Big 12 Championship game last year.

Virtually the same type of play, yet we Sooners are congratulating Carter on a great play.

Like I stated previously, had the situation been reversed, we all would have been commenting on how great the defensive play was.

I beg to differ with your analogy.

If you wanna talk about a game where 1 play would have made absolutely NO difference at ALL you have a point. We Skull F'd the Tigers in the CCG. This was a Big play in a game that had barely started, set the tone for the game. Had at LEAST a personal foul had been called it would have lessened the psychological impact of that hit on the game and kept the drive going.

o0Dan0o
8/18/2009, 09:32 AM
The ball did not hit the defender in the back until after it hit the receiver in the hands.

After looking at the slower motion of it, the defender did in fact lead with his head and against a defenseless player. That should have been called.

However, like I stated in a previous post. Had I been reffing the game, I would probably not thrown a flag either because in real time, it looked like a beautiful defensive play.

I agree that I can see how the call was missed, but when watching in the slow-mo you see that when the ball gets there the defender is completely within Iglesias' arms, without any attempt to catch the ball, that's pretty strait forward PI. If he had timed it a bit better, gotten there 2-3 10ths later, I wounder if Iglesias could have held on.

The taunting afterwards is pretty ghey too...
Dan

Johnny Utah
8/19/2009, 08:53 AM
This is the "style" of play that makes the sec the "bestest confernce evar", according to its fans and the media (which are essentially now fans with a forum), and generates comments like "better buckle you chinstrap when you play (blank)", or "(blank) has come to play". It's borderline dirty and/or illegal, but both the sec fans as well as the media don't usually see it that way, since how could teams led by the likes of Reverend Tebow or Saint, I mean Coach Richt, play dirty? Especially in an area where they don't sell booze on Sunday. IMHO, I do wish the Big XII would get back to a more overall physical style of play, rather then trending toward the "flag football with pads" style that others on this forum have noted. However the conference would need to get its officials totally on board so that its more physical teams (OU etc) don't get unjustly flagged on hits ('08 RRS game) far tamer than the one in discussion here.

cheezyq
8/19/2009, 04:22 PM

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecbU_IsFxWk

Not. Even. Close.

Carter hits him after the ball gets there, and doesn't lead with the head. He wraps him up like making a tackle. COMPLETELY different.

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 04:24 PM
Looked like a clean hit to me.

Johnny Utah
8/19/2009, 04:55 PM
No comparison between those 2 hits ... Carter's is perfectly clean, whereas the Florida players, having been beat, get away with an illegal hit.

o0Dan0o
8/19/2009, 05:36 PM
Carter's hit is a lot cleaner (helmet is in front of the player in an attempt to make a tackle not just a big hit), and he times the hit properly because he's watching the ball come in (rather than just guessing).

There is some contact to Maclin's face mask, but it's not a direct strike with the crown on the helmet to the chin (like against Iggy). Could you call it? Yes, but it's no were close as dirty.
Dan

Johnny Utah
8/19/2009, 05:47 PM
Carter's hit is a lot cleaner (helmet is in front of the player in an attempt to make a tackle not just a big hit), and he times the hit properly because he's watching the ball come in (rather than just guessing). Dan

This is the difference. However, as much as it pains me to say this, give the florida players credit as they were beaten but disrupted the play and got away with one. It somewhat set a tone for the game since now florida knew what they could potentially get away with.