PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Hartley faces 4 game NFL suspension

OU-HSV
8/16/2009, 07:54 AM
That figures....he's the only kicker I drafted yesterday in my leagues draft. Guess I'll have to scoop up another kicker already.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=223&articleid=20090815_223_0_Saints402426

olevetonahill
8/16/2009, 08:00 AM
Dayum what Little I know of him . he doesn't seem like the type to get in trouble
Be interesting

Flagstaffsooner
8/16/2009, 08:24 AM
WTF kickers never do anything bad.

oumartin
8/16/2009, 08:25 AM
my guess being a kicker they would just go ahead and cut him

batonrougesooner
8/16/2009, 08:35 AM
Had too much chocolate milk in his system.

starclassic tama
8/16/2009, 08:38 AM
i thought this was going to be for performance enhancing drugs. i guess it still may be considering it is for undisclosed reasons. now i've seen it all, kickers on roids.

bluedogok
8/16/2009, 12:03 PM
If he has been struggling maybe it was due to a leg injury which steriods may help him recover quicker.

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 12:06 PM
can he come back to OU?

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/16/2009, 12:25 PM
Associated Press reports he had Adderall in his system:

Link (http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/wire/sns-ap-fbn-saints-hartley-suspension,0,5230705.story)

Saints K Garrett Hartley expects to be suspended for testing positive for stimulant

METAIRIE, La. (AP) — New Orleans Saints kicker Garrett Hartley says he expects to serve a four-game suspension when the regular season begins because he tested positive for a stimulant.

Hartley says he obtained the Adderall prescription pills from a former college friend and used it to help him stay awake while driving from Dallas to New Orleans for an offseason workout.

Hartley says he was unaware that the stimulant was on the NFL's list of banned substances.

Hartley will be able to work out and play during the preseason, but the Saints also have added veteran 45-year-old kicker John Carney to the roster.

In other moves, the Saints have placed reserve linebacker Mark Simoneau on injured reserve because of his torn right triceps injury.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/16/2009, 12:51 PM
WTF kickers never do anything bad.

well, 'cept for bad-boy Janikowski

oumartin
8/16/2009, 01:32 PM
Former college teamate? Jamal brown plays for the saint

adoniijahsooner
8/16/2009, 01:36 PM

is GH a snitch?

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/16/2009, 01:58 PM
That article says nothing about a teammate. It just says "former college friend."

RedstickSooner
8/16/2009, 02:16 PM

It says "friend" not teammate. Kickers don't usually have friends on the team, do they?

Frozen Sooner
8/16/2009, 02:19 PM
Right, Garrett. You had no idea that a prescription stimulant was on the NFL's proscribed list.

OKC-SLC
8/16/2009, 03:34 PM
It's a federal crime to obtain/take someone else's prescription drugs, if I'm not mistaken.

Not that people don't do it all the time, but still.

Frozen Sooner
8/16/2009, 03:43 PM
I'm sure you'd know better than I, but it has to do with what schedule it's on, right?

RedstickSooner
8/16/2009, 05:24 PM
Look, I hate to lecture here, but this situation does warrant at least a *brief* reminder: If you put it into your nervous system, you need to know what it is.

Adderal is an amphetamine cocktail. No more, no less. There's no way you don't realize amphetamine is a banned substance. I don't know that I'd demand Garrett does his research, but at the very least, his buddy should've known & told him it was amphetamine that he was taking.

Now, really, I'd have an awfully hard time condemning someone for taking some speed to keep awake on a long drive... But when your profession requires you stay clean, you need to be a *lot* more aware of anything you ingest.

badger
8/16/2009, 05:27 PM
Kickers have the least job security of any position in the NFL... teams don't have a lot of money invested in the position and thus, no loyalty necessary if the kicks aren't going through the uprights or landing inside the 20 or whatever.

This is just something that Garrett can't afford right now. I hope he can bounce back.

rainiersooner
8/17/2009, 01:18 AM
I'm less concerned about the fact that the NFL includes adderal on its banned list than I am about the fact that doctors regularly prescribe it to kids who supposedly have a hard time "paying attention" in class.

It does beg the question though - since adderal is prescribed for ADD, does the NFL have an exemption if the user of the drug has a prescription, or is it flat out restricted?

soonerlaw
8/17/2009, 09:15 AM
I'd imagine if it was prescribed for medical reasons, it should be okay. I remember Alonzo Mourning when he came back from illness was just a huge, ripped beast, and it was because he was on steroids to help his recovery.

That being said, it doesn't look good for GH if he is suspended for four games and the Saints just added a veteran kicker.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/17/2009, 10:57 AM
Carney's leg will probably turn to dust on an extra point attempt. Hartley will still have his job after week 4.

OU-HSV
8/17/2009, 07:28 PM
Carney's leg will probably turn to dust on an extra point attempt. Hartley will still have his job after week 4.

I'm keeping Hartley on my fantasy team still...but I picked up the Bills kicker just so I have a kicker for the first 4 games.

OKC-SLC
8/18/2009, 12:41 AM
I'm sure you'd know better than I, but it has to do with what schedule it's on, right?

I'm honestly not entirely sure. I know that controlled substances (of which adderall is one, I think--I don't ever write for it) are illegal to share. I'm not positive on others.