PDA

View Full Version : How much $ in property damageswill officiating cause for me this year?

delhalew
8/15/2009, 02:56 PM
I have seen officiating decline steadily for years. Its been a plaque across all conferences and with some highly subjective rules we have now it only gets worse.

My father and I think these guys should be truly accountable professionals instead incompetent hacks.

What costly piece of home furnishing will suffer this year?

CrimsonJim
8/15/2009, 03:06 PM
I just hope it's not my big screen. :eek:

The thought has crossed my mind in the last couple of seasons, but cooler heads have prevailed.

BoonesFarmSooner
8/15/2009, 03:37 PM
My dog isn't a huge fan of incompetant officiating...

bstuff1979
8/15/2009, 03:56 PM
I usually need to buy a new tv remote once a year. That Oregon game didn't break the flat screen, but the picture never really looked right after that.

delhalew
8/15/2009, 04:01 PM
I try to just rely on karma to ensure whatever goes flying misses the TV.

delhalew
8/15/2009, 04:03 PM
That said, I'm afraid this might be the year my two year old girl learns to say c$#ks*ck%r.

fadada1
8/15/2009, 04:04 PM
thinking of going to the walmarts and buy 3-4 uber-cheap remotes to throw for such an occasion. death, taxes, and horrible officiating... guaranteed.

oudivesherpa
8/15/2009, 04:21 PM
In the last five years all I remember is bad call going against OU. Statistical theory would say we should have a regression toward the mean and have a few bad call going our way.

Maybe this is our year. Then again with games like Oregon and Texas Tech maybe we need several years to catch up. Can anyone remember a really bad call in OU's favor in the last five years?

SoonerInFortSmith
8/15/2009, 04:49 PM
I'm gonna put a big poster of a TV next to my real one to throw the remote at.

badger
8/15/2009, 05:01 PM
There's some new rule about gaining possession of a throw/fumble after the whistle... I think that will be the source of many 'a ruined remotes/televisions this season.

Whether or not they are OU fan's televisions and remotes is TBD. Stay tuned... if you didn't already break your TV :D

goingoneight
8/15/2009, 05:25 PM
I think the ball should have to go to an eligible receiver eerytime. Those little half-azzed throws that fall at the feet of your left guard SHOULD be fumbles. What's the difference between arm being here and there? Usually whatever angle you're falling toward. IOW... some QBs are just lucky and headsmart enough to whiff that ball anywhere to avoid the sack.

But what do I know?

WA. Sooner
8/16/2009, 06:19 AM
I keep a bucket of them foam balls to throw at things during the game

OU_Sooners75
8/16/2009, 07:03 AM
When is the Big 12 going to that national database of officials? This year or next?

Not sure what I am talking about?

I may be a little off when it comes to the conferences, but about 3 or 4 conferences are going to a larger spectrum of officials.

I think it is the WAC, MWC, Sun Belt, and MAC.

They will be sharing officials and the Big 12 has agreed to jump into the mix.

Or was that just a rumor?

bent rider
8/16/2009, 08:59 AM
SERENITY NOW!

delhalew
8/16/2009, 09:36 AM
When is the Big 12 going to that national database of officials? This year or next?

Not sure what I am talking about?

I may be a little off when it comes to the conferences, but about 3 or 4 conferences are going to a larger spectrum of officials.

I think it is the WAC, MWC, Sun Belt, and MAC.

They will be sharing officials and the Big 12 has agreed to jump into the mix.

Or was that just a rumor?

That will help, but more than homerism it seems the biggest problem is total ineptitude. I want these guys fined for blown calls. I want them to have excellent eyesight, even better instinct, and to drop the chip off there shoulder when it comes to these kids getting exited when they score. This celebration bull has got to stop. Unless its like the freakin' Thriller video out there I have no problem with minor celebration.

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 10:14 AM
i don't hit stuff too much.... the last time i punched a hole in the wall was 2007, when we lost to Colorado.

OUAlumni1990
8/16/2009, 10:19 AM
My TV is now out-of-date and I'm needing a new one. So for me, it will probably be the TV.

bstuff1979
8/16/2009, 11:09 AM
i don't hit stuff too much.... the last time i punched a hole in the wall was 2007, when we lost to Colorado.

next time, go for the ironing board. they're cheaper and can actually take a pretty good beating. thank you, texas tech, for teaching me this.

OKC-SLC
8/16/2009, 12:47 PM
My TV is now out-of-date and I'm needing a new one. So for me, it will probably be the TV.

nice strategery.

Curly Bill
8/16/2009, 12:50 PM
The problem with much of the officiating these days, and it goes from high school sports all the way up, is that officials are so protected they are somewhat above the law. If they were more truly held accountable for their actions we would see better officiating, yes there would still be mistakes, but not some of the incredibly blatant ones we see now.

delhalew
8/16/2009, 12:53 PM
The problem with much of the officiating these days, and it goes from high school sports all the way up, is that officials are so protected they are somewhat above the law. If they were more truly held accountable for their actions we would see better officiating, yes there would still be mistakes, but not some of the incredibly blatant ones we see now.

^^^^This is wut I'm saying ya'll.

IronHorseSooner
8/16/2009, 02:19 PM
Depends how many games Christal and Bible officiate.

snrfan65
8/16/2009, 03:37 PM

Does anyone know the breakdown of Big XII officials, in terms of where they live?

I think the Big XII officials, particularly the ones who officiate in the South division, are inept at best, and downright biased at worst.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are numerous officials out of the state of Texas, but far less from other states.

The problem is that guys get into the referee business because they love the game. That means they also probably have an affinity for a particular team.

I admit I would be a terrible Big XII referee, even if I had the skills to do so, because I would have a natural bias. How in the world does the conference expect to hire guys with ties to particular universities, and get any kind of fariness?

I read somewhere that the conference allows the refs to officiate games close to home, for travel time, expenses, etc. But then you end up with a situation like we faced in Lubbock in '05.

The NFL has far better officiating, and it's not just due to skills on the field (the Ed Hochuli incident last year notwithstanding). I think the reason for that is because the NFL refs are National. They don't hire a guy from Philly to drive down the street and ref an Eagles game.

And what's sad is that college is almost as much "big business" as the NFL, given the advertising and BCS and bowl money, etc. Yet often times the outcomes of games are determined or heavily influenced by biased regional officiating.

Salt City Sooner
8/16/2009, 04:33 PM
Scary thing is that one of those 2 is due to get the RRS. Christal hasn't done OU/UT since '99, & Bible's last one was '03.

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 04:34 PM
not much Bible could do in 03.. hehe

IronHorseSooner
8/16/2009, 05:38 PM
Is there anything that the administration/staff could do to ensure that neither one of these Whorns refs that game?

GKeeper316
8/16/2009, 06:57 PM
I try to just rely on karma to ensure whatever goes flying misses the TV.

and how's that workin out for ya?

opksooner
8/16/2009, 07:29 PM
The problem with much of the officiating these days, and it goes from high school sports all the way up, is that officials are so protected they are somewhat above the law. If they were more truly held accountable for their actions..............

Firing squad? Stoning? Public whippings? How?

o0Dan0o
8/17/2009, 01:54 PM
Firing squad? Stoning? Public whippings? How?

Public sodomisation with old broom handles...

delhalew
8/17/2009, 06:52 PM
and how's that workin out for ya?

So far in all my 30 yrs of active football watchin' no tv's have been harmed. Just about anything else that can be found in a home has met an untimely demise...but no televisions.