PDA

View Full Version : OU vs Ohio State on CFN

footballfanatic
8/14/2009, 02:57 PM
"Coverage by media of Ohio State v. Oklahoma the past several years. We here in Buckeye country feel like we’ve been beaten up unfairly. Appreciate your efforts to lend perspective. Also seems that no one complains about having to see Oklahoma in the National Championship game (or in any big game for that matter) despite their amazing streak of bowl losses (LSU, USC, Boise State, West Virginia, Florida). The question is not whether OSU fans are too sensitive (Answer: Yes, we are), but rather is OU getting a pass? - John S.

A: What was the ruling in Ohio State v. Oklahoma? I thought Justice von Schamann ruled in favor of the Sooners. What's interesting about the phenomenon of OSU getting bashed and OU getting a pass is that the Sooners have been dead dogs in some of these losses. To a man, the 2006 Buckeyes admit they came into the national championship game fat and lazy. They weren't that bad against LSU in the 2008 BCS Championship, they were in it until the fourth quarter, and they pushed Texas to the wall in last year's Fiesta Bowl. Of course, the blowout loss to USC early last year didn't help the national perception, but as I've written before, about 115 other teams would've gotten obliterated that day, too.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma has lost five straight BCS games and isn't getting hammered nearly as hard as the Buckeyes are. Last year's national title game was a war, and there's absolutely no reason to dog OU in any way for losing to the Gators. But OU flat-out quit in the 55-19 loss to USC in the 2005 Orange Bowl, didn't wake up until it was too late in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl loss to Boise State, and was inexplicably flat in the 2008 Fiesta Bowl loss to West Virginia even though everyone was talking about the gaffe to the Broncos for 366 days. Style points count. Oklahoma looks like the type of team that can play with anyone in America, while Ohio State slogs its way through win after win. Even so, OSU is getting the benefit of the doubt in the preseason polls considering there's so much turnover."

soonervegas
8/14/2009, 03:22 PM
If there are 117 in Div 1 this year I think one team can look "down" on OU and Ohio State this decade.....Florida. I would have said USC three years ago, but they have underachieved since playing Vince.

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/14/2009, 03:24 PM
But OU flat-out quit in the 55-19 loss to USC in the 2005 Orange Bowl, didn't wake up until it was too late in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl loss to Boise State...

Yes, we did quit in the 55-19, but we were a better team that year than the final score indicated. Plus, 118 other teams would've lost that game (what game? There was no game.) to USC too. 2004 USC was SCARY good.

"Didn't wake up until it was too late?" I may be wrong on this...but if there's time left on the clock, it's not too late, RIGHT? We scored 18 unanswered in the 4th quarter to actually go ahead before Petersen tossed his playbook into the garbage, unzipped his fly and let his **** call the plays.

There's no excuse for West Virginia, but we also had MNC hopes until Texas Tech. Would you care about a meaningless exhibition somewhere you were less than a year ago?

rainiersooner
8/14/2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah, it's interesting that OU gets bashed for losing meaningless exhibition games (I'm specifically referring to the Fiesta Bowl) but USC doesn't get bashed for losing meaningful conference games to inferior opponents - i.e., Oregon State and Stanford.

rainiersooner
8/14/2009, 03:45 PM
Although, I think OSU is suffering mainly now from the perception that the Big 10 is weak...conversely, it is the perception of strength in the SEC that benefits their teams. I think people just don't really know what to make of the Big XII.

CBUS_SOONER
8/14/2009, 04:36 PM
O$U plays in the Big 10(which is a joke). O$U hasn't beat a good team in yrs. OU wins big games during the regular season all the time. The only thing the two have in common is recent BCS struggles. The $uckeyes are garbage

CBUS_SOONER
8/14/2009, 04:37 PM
I also live in $uckeye country and 95% of $uckeye fans deserve getting beat up.

footballfanatic
8/14/2009, 08:06 PM
Well, I would hate to disparage a program as lauded as Ohio State, but I did happen to notice that on the "Dateline: To Catch a Predator" episode set in Ohio, many of the sexual predators were wearing Ohio State clothing.

CBUS_SOONER
8/14/2009, 08:18 PM
Well, I would hate to disparage a program as lauded as Ohio State, but I did happen to notice that on the "Dateline: To Catch a Predator" episode set in Ohio, many of the sexual predators were wearing Ohio State clothing.

hahahahahaha. I remember pointing out the same thing to my wife.

SoonerStormchaser
8/14/2009, 08:23 PM
My hatred of all things Ohio State is well known...I hope those ****ers lose every single game this season!

footballfanatic
8/14/2009, 10:20 PM
My hatred of all things Ohio State is well known...I hope those ****ers lose every single game this season!

Aren't you guys playing them again soon?

gunsalus
8/14/2009, 11:26 PM
I don't understand this Ohio State vs. OU conflict. IMO they are two examples of the way a big time college football programs ought to operate. They are both clearly in the top 5 programs of the decade in on the field performance. They are both led by class act coached who maintain high expectations of their players on and off the field and don't tolerate bad behavior no matter how great the player. Both programs seem to care more about the life success of their players and don't just treat them as meat to feed the booster beast. Both have strong graduation rates. Both have relatively respectful fans (of course there are exceptions). All that being said, if they played in a bowl game OU would of course crush them like grapes to make a fine wine with which to toast our glorious victory.

OUAlumni1990
8/14/2009, 11:40 PM
I don't understand this Ohio State vs. OU conflict. IMO they are two examples of the way a big time college football programs ought to operate. They are both clearly in the top 5 programs of the decade in on the field performance. They are both led by class act coached who maintain high expectations of their players on and off the field and don't tolerate bad behavior no matter how great the player. Both programs seem to care more about the life success of their players and don't just treat them as meat to feed the booster beast. Both have strong graduation rates. Both have relatively respectful fans (of course there are exceptions). All that being said, if they played in a bowl game OU would of course crush them like grapes to make a fine wine with which to toast our glorious victory.

will you be my friend :)

OUAlumni1990
8/14/2009, 11:44 PM
I can think of alot worse fan bases than Ohio State:

1) Texas
2) Miami
3) LSU
4).......

AlbqSooner
8/15/2009, 06:59 AM

I wouldn't drink that carp.

beer4me
8/15/2009, 07:41 AM
I can think of alot worse fan bases than Ohio State:

1) Texas
2) Miami
3) LSU
4).......

Amen bro tosu fans cannot hold a candle to some others. I would add TCU, KSU to that list

IronHorseSooner
8/15/2009, 08:07 AM
Amen bro tosu fans cannot hold a candle to some others. I would add TCU, KSU to that list

I would put Florida to that list. Mizzou and Colorado are pretty bad, as well.