PDA

View Full Version : Practice Report

adoniijahsooner
8/13/2009, 09:48 PM
from Jake Trotter.

Kenney is working with 1st team offense.
Stevens is booming field goals.
We're good, that's all.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2009/08/13/practice-report-8-13-09/

Practice report (8-13-09)
Posted by Jake Trotteron August 13, 2009 at 7:23 pm The Sooners held their first of two open practices this fall on Thursday. Reporters didn’t have the chance to speak with coaches, however, the first hour was open for our viewing enjoyment.

Some observations:

* Place-kicker Jimmy Stevens had a terrific showing. In my opinion, he was the story of evening. I don’t believe he missed a single attempt during the open part of practice and nailed field goals from 48 and 53 yards out. The 400-500 fans who also showed up gave Stevens one of their biggest ovations. It was just a practice, but this has got to give Stevens some confidence. Walk-on Bryce Easley, who wears No. 94, didn’t have the showing that Stevens did. Tress Way was pretty solid at kicker, but nowhere near Stevens.

* While the rest of the tight ends were working with the offensive line on the sled, Brody Eldridge remained with the QBs working on his shotgun snaps. Clearly, getting him ready an an emergency center is a priority for the coaching staff. But projected starter Ben Habern took part in most of drills today and seems like he close to being back 100 percent. Habern has been held out the last week with a inflamed back. Backup guard-center Brian Lepak dressed, but didn’t participate in practice today still due to a high-ankle sprain.

* Jarvis Jones got some work at guard, while Stephen Good slid over to center during team drills with the first-team offense. Not a bad idea, while Haberns rests up.

* The first-team receivers today were Cameron Kenney, Ryan Broyles and Adron Tennell. On the first play during team, Tennell went up over corner Brian Jackson during a fly pattern and brought down the ball for a terrifc catch.

* The second-team WRs were Jaz Reynolds, Dejuan Miller and Brandon Caleb. Mossis Madu got some work with the first unit, but didn’t start. So did Caleb.

* Kenney and Reynolds both showed why Kevin Wilson raved about them earlier this week. Kenney appears to be a solid route runner with good hands and some savvy. Reynolds has great down-field speed. He outran corner Demontre Hurst down the sidelines, but dropped a pass that hit his hands.

* The second-team defense today was Frank Alexander and RJ Washington at DE; Casey Walker and Stacy McGee at DT; Austin Box, Tom Wort (middle) and Daniel Franklin at LB; Brian Jackson (he also played on the first unit) and Hurst at corner; and Emmanuel Jones and freshman Marcus Trice at safety. Javon Harris didn’t get any reps that I saw at safety.

* Not surprisingly, Sam Bradford put every pass he threw on the money.

* Cameron Kenney and Tress Way both looked strong on punts. Way had a rough spring game, but clearly has some talent. And you can see why Stoops is working Kenney out at punter. Ideally, they’d like to play Way there and leave Kenney at WR. But at least they know they have a decent backup option in Kenney.

* Dom Franks and Ryan Broyles handled all the punt returns.

* Injury report: Defensive end David King did not dress today with an undisclosed injury. He stretched with the team, but that was it. King was ahead of Washington on the depth chart coming into the fall, but that appears to be swinging back the other way. DE Pryce Macon is also out with an undisclosed knee injury. DeMarco Murray, dealing with a hamstring, wore a helmet, but was largely held out.

* DeMarcus Granger and Ryan Reynolds both participated in all drills that I saw. Granger is coming back from, back surgery. Reynolds, knee surgery. Granger needs to lose some weight, but both players look about as healthy as could have been hoped right now.

-JT

OU_Sooners75
8/13/2009, 09:56 PM
Good to see granger back.

setem
8/13/2009, 09:56 PM
YEAH BOY...glad to hear Habern is coming along and Good is a good idea at center!

hawaii 5-0
8/14/2009, 12:01 AM
How many games into the season before Kenney lines up to punt the ball, and just takes off with it?

:cool: 5-0

setem
8/14/2009, 12:03 AM
They will be gunning for that I would assume...

I think we will see some rugby type kicks from him. I think the options are limitless with that kid though!

swardboy
8/14/2009, 08:01 AM
When hasn't Granger needed to lose some weight?

BornandBred
8/14/2009, 08:07 AM
I'll loan Ryan Reynolds my one good knee if it gets him through the season. Kid's got great talent and heart like you rarely see, except on the OU squad it seems.

gaylordfan1
8/14/2009, 10:00 AM
Way and Kenney looked good punting the ball. I think Way looked a little more solid, he really booted some deep punts. But Way can't run a 4.4 either. Kenneys trickery could really save some close games!

Pricetag
8/14/2009, 10:13 AM
I hope Jaz Reynolds is able to earn some PT. His name is just way too cool for him not to.

IslandSooner
8/14/2009, 11:24 AM
Kenney could help bring back the Special Teams excitement of Stoops early years

sooner94
8/14/2009, 11:37 AM
Kenney could help bring back the Special Teams excitement of Stoops early years

A punter that runs a 4.4. I sense a little trickeration this season on 4th downs.

BoulderSooner79
8/14/2009, 11:51 AM
If Kenney gets significant PT at receiver, I don't see him punting.

sooner94
8/14/2009, 12:46 PM
If Kenney gets significant PT at receiver, I don't see him punting.

Definitely not the full time punter. But what if they bring him in 2 or 3 times a game. The other team won't be able to set up for a punt return.

Just adds another weapon.

cheezyq
8/14/2009, 02:28 PM
Brody Eldridge remained with the QBs working on his shotgun snaps. Clearly, getting him ready an an emergency center is a priority for the coaching staff. But projected starter Ben Habern took part in most of drills today and seems like he close to being back 100 percent. Habern has been held out the last week with a inflamed back.

This is why I can't understand Jason Hannan's transfer. He knows that injuries happen, even if he couldn't beat out Habern, there's opportunities to get playing time that creep up constantly. It's silly to waste a year of playing football to transfer in the HOPES that you can start somewhere else.

gaylordfan1
8/14/2009, 03:19 PM
Yup, J Hannan is kicking himself right about now! Where did he transfer to?

cheezyq
8/14/2009, 03:38 PM
Can't remember. Last I heard he was considering Houston.

OUster
8/14/2009, 04:52 PM
* The second-team defense today was Frank Alexander and RJ Washington at DE; Casey Walker and Stacy McGee at DT; Austin Box, Tom Wort (middle) and Daniel Franklin at LB; Brian Jackson (he also played on the first unit) and Hurst at corner; and Emmanuel Jones and freshman Marcus Trice at safety. Javon Harris didn’t get any reps that I saw at safety.

I know, I know...too damn early. But, these are all freshman and sophomores, with the exception of Jackson. The future defense looks great. That is all.

gaylordfan1
8/14/2009, 10:43 PM
So why is Jackson on second team so much lately... with Hurst playing first? Jackson is already established... maybe just giving Hurst some feel with the big boys. I hope. Either way I have no doubt that the coaches are going to throw the best players on the field.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/14/2009, 10:51 PM
It says Jackson played first and second team and Hurst was the other second team corner.

gaylordfan1
8/14/2009, 10:55 PM
I could have sworn that I saw Hurst playing a lot of first team at the open practice.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/15/2009, 12:01 AM
You could have seen it. I wasn't there. I was just going by what the blog says in post 1.

Scotty
8/15/2009, 01:52 AM
You are both right. BJack is getting alot of competition, probably more than he would hope for.

Curly Bill
8/15/2009, 02:09 AM
Competition is good. :)

IronHorseSooner
8/15/2009, 08:57 AM
To me, it just seems like these guys are mad as he!! and not going to take it anymore. The competition just seems to be fierce, even at the kicking positions (which makes me proud)! A couple of really talented guys that we seem to forget are Casey Walker and Stacey McGee. Both of these young men have a world of talent, and it's good to see they are getting a chance to shine. This team is just going to be nasty!

adoniijahsooner
8/15/2009, 09:11 AM
i agree.