PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick is officially a Philadelphia Eagle

OU-HSV
8/13/2009, 08:05 PM
Mike Vick signed a two year deal w/the Eagles

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938

Quarterback Michael Vick has signed a two-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles, his agent, Joel Segal, confirmed to ESPN.com.

Vick arrived in Philadelphia Tuesday morning and remained there Wednesday evening. The Eagles will hold a news conference on Friday morning to announce his signing.

Vick was the No. 1 draft pick in 2001, and once the highest-paid player in football. But he has not played since 2006 when his career came tumbling down. He was convicted in August 2007 of conspiracy and running a dogfighting operation, sentenced to 23 months in federal prison and suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

But after serving his time and being released from home confinement July 20, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell conditionally lifted Vick's suspension, allowing him to sign with a team.

Vick can immediately take part in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games.

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19) at the latest.

Vick filed for bankruptcy protection last July, listing assets of about $16 million and debts of more than $20 million.

The Eagles travel to meet Vick's former team, the Atlanta Falcons, in Week 13 on Dec. 6.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL anlyst. ESPN's Sal Paolantonio contributed to this report.

walkoffsooner
8/13/2009, 08:07 PM
the fighting eagles

GKeeper316
8/13/2009, 08:11 PM
as disgusted as i am with him and his hobby of killing dogs, he still served his time and should be afforded the opportunity to earn a living.

OUHOMER
8/13/2009, 08:12 PM
well, i dont know what to think of this guy. Part of me wants to say good luck to him, he paid his price.

the other part me thinks he evil bastard.

SCxxSOONER
8/13/2009, 08:53 PM
Im glad to see he's getting another shot, he did his time, Good luck to him.

olevetonahill
8/13/2009, 08:56 PM
Good luck Vick
keep yer dogs at bay ;)

setem
8/13/2009, 09:16 PM
BOOOYA!

I just became an eagle fan!

soonerinkeywest
8/13/2009, 09:20 PM
Giants fan here.. I love it!

soonerloyal
8/13/2009, 09:21 PM
**** him. Maybe it's a "Female/ Mom thang" but scr*w him. I don't give a s*** how good he is - if he was MY son, I wouldn't support his sorry azz in his attempt at re-emergence in the pros.

SHAME ON YOU, MICHAEL. SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!!

setem
8/13/2009, 09:29 PM
WOW! Did you really say if he was your son you wouldnt support him in his efforts to turn his life around? That is pretty messed up Mom's should love their kids unconditionally I mean if he murdered someone or was just genuinely a horrible person I might see that but he paid the price and his trying to get back to normal. That is a pretty rough statement! You also might think that football is pretty all he knows how to do in life! He spent almost every bit of his effort on football so it is not like he can go out and get a everyday job like any of us.

soonerhubs
8/13/2009, 09:30 PM
So maybe Im on an isolated island, but isn't McNabb their QB?

yukonsooner
8/13/2009, 09:39 PM
I don't know, but I assume he is still on paper (still has to report to a probation officer). If so he has to stay clean, i.e., no drinking, no bars, no drugs, no being around or in contact with ex-felons, you get the idea. Do you think he can do that for the next two years???

sooner59
8/13/2009, 11:24 PM
I love dogs....I have had several in my life. I love animals in general. But maybe it took the penalty that he received to appreciate the value of their lives. A lot of people just don't get it, and don't think of how precious their life is. From what I have heard, especially from Tony Dungy, who I respect as much as anyone in football, he finally gets it. It is still terrible, but the long arm of the law came down on him. He served 2 years in prison, and probably $100 Million worth of contract money and endorsement deals. I'm sure that would get your attention and let you know that what you did was just atrocious. He probably didn't even think what he was doing was that wrong, because if you are brought up like that, then its just another thing to do. Now he knows his reasoning is wrong and it destroyed his image and his future. If he serves his time and truly wants to make up for his wrongs and try to turn his life around, then he deserves "ONE" shot. After that, its over. But almost everyone deserves a second shot at life. Let God judge and I will reserve my judgments and let the man try to turn his life around.

budbarrybob
8/14/2009, 12:37 AM
I'll take a break from watching Animal Planet to comment. So the F what. Like what Else is he gonna do? Get a job at Chase Manhatten? Regional manager at K-Mart? I don't think he'd even be good enough for a stocker at Crest Foods! All we need is a former felon to be denied perhaps the ONE opportunity he'll ever have to make a good enough living for himself to stay away from a life of crime. Make a living with his brain - no can do.
Now where's that remote...

batonrougesooner
8/14/2009, 12:46 AM
I say more power to him. He made a big mistake and has paid the price several times over. He went to jail, lost his career, gone bankrupt, and has lost his reputation over betting on and killing dogs. He was wrong and has paid the price. It isn't like he drove drunk and killed some poor bastard walking across the street.

adoniijahsooner
8/14/2009, 05:31 AM
Everyone, and I mean everyone deserves a second chance to show that they are capable of becoming positives in this world, and vick is no exception to this rule. If what he did was so unforgiveable, then he would be locked for life; If what he's done was so unforgiveable then God would turn his back on him. I say allow the man to make a living.

badger
8/14/2009, 07:20 AM
Ja, I'd rather he work and earn money for a living than declare bankruptcy and live off the government or something. Whether his job is in the NFL or being a Wal-mart cashier, meh.

I still don't want him playing for my team, but since he's not, meh. Philly fans will never have any shortage of players to boo.

Cam
8/14/2009, 08:29 AM
Philly fans hate half their team anyway, what's one more person to boo at.

aj44mc
8/14/2009, 08:41 AM
I was secretly hoping the Vikings would pick him up. Something about Vick, Peterson, and Harvin together makes me think of fireworks.

JLEW1818
8/14/2009, 11:24 AM
Mike Vick's number = K-9

rainiersooner
8/14/2009, 11:34 AM
I was secretly hoping the Vikings would pick him up. Something about Vick, Peterson, and Harvin together makes me think of fireworks.

From a pure football perspective, that would be pretty sick.

OULenexaman
8/14/2009, 11:47 AM
Poor sick Vick......Dungy...Edwards...they can all say what they want....the dude is not wired right.

Since71ASooner4Life
8/15/2009, 12:50 PM
I think it is a fair assumption that if Michael Vick were a former special teams player we wouldn't be talking about him being readmitted to the NFL. So I'm bothered that his physical skills have earned him a 2nd chance that others would not have got. The issue here should be only one of morals.

I was raised to not harbor resentment and that people do deserve second chances. But my sense is that somewhere we need to draw a line to distinguish a big mistake from a long enduring existence of intentional wrongdoing. Are we talking about mistakes, or character flaws, and if the latter, is rehabilitation possible?

I have no doubt that Michael Vick is filled with regret and probably remorse too, but who wouldn't be given what his actions cost him, so that isn't reason enough to let him back in the NFL. Given that his horrendous behavior creates an opportunity to do good in a way that a person who always led a moral life can't have the same effect, something says let him now do that good and tolerate his presence so long as he continues doing that good. The privledge of playing professional sports is not a question of right to work - there is a moral obligation to behave correctly because you are in the public's eye, and whether you want to accept it or not, you're behavior is observed by kids and you do influence them and their thoughts.

Give him a zero tolerance 2nd chance, contingent on a continuous pattern of going above and beyond to influence the world in a positive and visible way as a means of ammending what he did wrong

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/15/2009, 02:34 PM
Rest assured, if he jaywalks even, then Goodell will say good bye forever. Zero Tolerance might be an understatement

Big D Sooner
8/16/2009, 10:06 PM
I'm sorry but I don't agree with many of you that insist that he has "paid the price." He got, what, two years in jail. I don't think that really compares to being tortured, electrocuted, hung, etc... you know, what he did to his dogs.