PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a whisky.

royalfan5
8/13/2009, 05:46 PM
I'm going to being drinking a substantial amount of whisky tomorrow night. I'm looking to try something beyond the basics. What should I try?

My Opinion Matters
8/13/2009, 05:53 PM
There was a very informative bourbon thread floating around some months back. Knob Creek is good.

soonerinabilene
8/13/2009, 06:21 PM
my favorite is VO. i cant remember the name of it but the one that has a big rooster on the label is pretty good.

olevetonahill
8/13/2009, 06:32 PM
OVJ what I win :D

sooner ngintunr
8/13/2009, 06:35 PM
I drink too much of it to buy good stuff. VO Gold is great, CC is good, I drink Hunter.

I prefer blended types like the ones I named. Single Malt are a whole nother story.

King Crimson
8/13/2009, 06:40 PM
i've been drinking Bulleit bourbon. good value 20-25$ a bottle for a very good bourbon. Buffalo Trace is also pretty good in the same $ range.

Knob Creek and Maker's are good but by now you are paying for the name as much as anything. the little guys are making good stuff too, minus the price jack.

Rogue
8/13/2009, 06:45 PM
Still love me some Jameson.

JohnnyMack
8/13/2009, 06:48 PM
Booker's.

delhalew
8/13/2009, 06:58 PM
Irish=jameson
kentucky bourbon=makers mark
canadian whiskey=crown royal

That covers my favorite styles.

Turd_Ferguson
8/13/2009, 07:01 PM
kick'n chick'n.

http://liquorshoppingdeals.com/images/gift_sets/wild_turkey.jpg

soonerinabilene
8/13/2009, 07:12 PM
i've been drinking Bulleit bourbon. good value 20-25$ a bottle for a very good bourbon. Buffalo Trace is also pretty good in the same $ range.

Knob Creek and Maker's are good but by now you are paying for the name as much as anything. the little guys are making good stuff too, minus the price jack.

I can usually handle my whiskey pretty good, but Buffalo Trace put me on my a**. I think it was because i had gotten used to cheap stuff when i was in college, so the smoothness of it made me overdrink, but to this day i cant even smell it without having full body shivers.

Harry Beanbag
8/13/2009, 07:17 PM
Buffalo Trace is something I keep around all the time. For the same price as Maker's and Knob Creek, it is a far superior bourbon.

Boomer Mooner
8/13/2009, 07:22 PM
Ditto on the Buffalo Trace.

Veritas
8/13/2009, 07:31 PM
A little etymology of the word whisk(e)y: whisky typically refers to Scotch or Canadian distillations, whiskey to Irish and American. Originally all grain distillations were spelled whisky, but a number of years of low quality production from overseas influenced American makers to add an "e" to differentiate themselves. The tradition remains unchanged.

If you're going to be mixing, I can't help you. The thing that should be added to whisky is more whisky.

If you're drinking it straight, here are a rundown of my favorites, all of which are under $100:
American Rye: Templeton which is hard to find, Sazerac which is not.
American Bourbon (whiskey with >= 50% corn): Elijah Craig 18 Year
American Single Malt: Stranahans Colorado Whiskey
Canadian Whisky: Yukon Jack
Irish: Michael Collins
Blended Scotch: Johnnie Walker Black
Vatted Scotch (like a blend, but with no grain liquor): John, Mark, and Robbo, The Smokey Peaty One
Single Malt, Islay: Lagavulin or Ardbeg
Single Malt, Lowland: eh, not a fan
Single Malt, Highland: Dalmore 12
Single Malt, Speyside: any Balvenie but the Double Wood
Single Malt, Campbeltown: Springbank 18
Single Malt, Island: Talisker 10

All of these whiskies have great character.

Curly Bill
8/13/2009, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking Veritas really likes whisky. :D

delhalew
8/13/2009, 07:59 PM
A little etymology of the word whisk(e)y: whisky typically refers to Scotch or Canadian distillations, whiskey to Irish and American. Originally all grain distillations were spelled whisky, but a number of years of low quality production from overseas influenced American makers to add an "e" to differentiate themselves. The tradition remains unchanged.

If you're going to be mixing, I can't help you. The thing that should be added to whisky is more whisky.

If you're drinking it straight, here are a rundown of my favorites, all of which are under $100:
American Rye: Templeton which is hard to find, Sazerac which is not.
American Bourbon (whiskey with >= 50% corn): Elijah Craig 18 Year
American Single Malt: Stranahans Colorado Whiskey
Canadian Whisky: Yukon Jack
Irish: Michael Collins
Blended Scotch: Johnnie Walker Black
Vatted Scotch (like a blend, but with no grain liquor): John, Mark, and Robbo, The Smokey Peaty One
Single Malt, Islay: Lagavulin or Ardbeg
Single Malt, Lowland: eh, not a fan
Single Malt, Highland: Dalmore 12
Single Malt, Speyside: any Balvenie but the Double Wood
Single Malt, Campbeltown: Springbank 18
Single Malt, Island: Talisker 10

All of these whiskies have great character.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but I really wish I had the cash to drink that kind of quality. Its a big splurge when I buy a bottle of crown or patron.

royalfan5
8/13/2009, 08:05 PM
my favorite is VO. i cant remember the name of it but the one that has a big rooster on the label is pretty good.
If you are talking about Fighting ****. I've been down that road, and I don't intend to go back. Also, in regards to Yukon Jack, I once thought it would be a good idea to drink a bunch of it after downing three bottles of wild vines. It took me 5 years to drink wine again, and it might take five more till I can touch Yukon Jack again.

JohnnyMack
8/13/2009, 08:15 PM
I'm thinking Veritas really likes whisky. :D

Outside of drinking and screwing I don't imagine there's a lot of interesting ways to while a way a long Nebraska winter night.

Jacie
8/13/2009, 08:18 PM
I drink alone . . .

Breadburner
8/13/2009, 08:21 PM
Knob Creek here.....

delhalew
8/13/2009, 08:25 PM
I drink alone . . .

with nobody else?

olevetonahill
8/13/2009, 09:02 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but I really wish I had the cash to drink that kind of quality. Its a big splurge when I buy a bottle of crown or patron.

Open yer own Software Bidness and get rich
Ya slacker :D

olevetonahill
8/13/2009, 09:03 PM
with nobody else?

Not as many fights that way ;)

LosAngelesSooner
8/13/2009, 09:46 PM
kick'n chick'n.

http://liquorshoppingdeals.com/images/gift_sets/wild_turkey.jpg

That's what I'm drinking right now. :D

Lott's Bandana
8/13/2009, 11:29 PM
I drink Jameson and will continue to, but recently had a very good Irish whisky in Tulsa called Red Breast.

FTW.

LosAngelesSooner
8/13/2009, 11:35 PM
Red Breast is GREAT.

The Jameson distillery owns and makes it. It's 100% Pure Pot Stilled Irish Whiskey.

the_ouskull
8/13/2009, 11:39 PM
Pappy Van Winkle 20 year. I don't always drink bourbon, but when I do, I drink Jack Daniels. The Pappy is if you can 1) find it, (good luck) and 2) afford it.

(It goes as cheap as $140ish online, but can go as high as two bills in liquor stores...)

the_ouskull

LosAngelesSooner
8/13/2009, 11:42 PM
I can get you some, Skull, whenever you need it. Lemme know.

And try the Pappy 23 Family Reserve if you get the chance. Sublime...

olevetonahill
8/13/2009, 11:48 PM
Red Breast is GREAT.

The Jameson distillery owns and makes it. It's 100% Pure Pot Stilled Irish Whiskey.

I know where ya can get some 110 proof Pot stilled ;)

LosAngelesSooner
8/13/2009, 11:50 PM
DUDE...How many times do I have to ask you to send me a mason jar?!

olevetonahill
8/13/2009, 11:51 PM
DUDE...How many times do I have to ask you to send me a mason jar?!

How many times I gots to say
"SEnd Me a Box " ?

LosAngelesSooner
8/14/2009, 12:01 AM
PEEEM me your addy.

OULenexaman
8/14/2009, 12:10 PM
And try the Pappy 23 Family Reserve if you get the chance. .

They only made 3000 bottles of that....problem is every internet site I've found all say it is sold out or no longer available.....do you know some place that still has it??

LosAngelesSooner
8/14/2009, 12:43 PM
I've got a case of 'em. Well, 2 six packs. They don't come in cases of 12.

OULenexaman
8/14/2009, 12:50 PM
that's nice.....good for you...still no luck for me....

Taxman71
8/14/2009, 03:51 PM
Pappy Van Winkle 20 year. I don't always drink bourbon, but when I do, I drink Jack Daniels. The Pappy is if you can 1) find it, (good luck) and 2) afford it.

(It goes as cheap as $140ish online, but can go as high as two bills in liquor stores...)

the_ouskull

Jack is my day to day go-to whiskey, great straight or as a mixer. However, referring to it as "bourbon" might get you killed in Kentucky.

My favorite top-shelf bourbon is Woodford Reserve. Smooth.

royalfan5
8/14/2009, 03:55 PM
The following exchange took place with my co-worker today:
Rfan5: What kind of whisky should I get for tonight?
Rfan5 Male co-worker: Amaretto is my favorite whisky.
Rfan5: Which sorority where you in again?

soonerloyal
8/14/2009, 03:57 PM
Hubby drinks Crown or Crown Reserve. There's also the Crown Cask No. 16 and the hoity-toity Crown Extra Rare, but we're common folk, so that'd be a rare treat for him, even though he gets his duty-free.

Personally, I'd rather throw myself off the Empire State Building and catch my eyelid on a rusty nail on the way down, than drink whisk(e)y 'n stuff. But then I'm obviously a heathen, OleVet. Sorry, hon. *smooch*

LosAngelesSooner
8/14/2009, 04:12 PM
Jack is my day to day go-to whiskey, great straight or as a mixer. However, referring to it as "bourbon" might get you killed in Kentucky.

My favorite top-shelf bourbon is Woodford Reserve. Smooth.Sorry to say, but I am NOT one who likes Woodford Reserve. Nothing wrong with it, just a personal preference thing.

Hubby drinks Crown or Crown Reserve. There's also the Crown Cask No. 16 and the hoity-toity Crown Extra Rare, but we're common folk, so that'd be a rare treat for him, even though he gets his duty-free.

Personally, I'd rather throw myself off the Empire State Building and catch my eyelid on a rusty nail on the way down, than drink whisk(e)y 'n stuff. But then I'm obviously a heathen, OleVet. Sorry, hon. *smooch*You should try Black Maple Hill Bourbon. I'll bet you'd like that one a lot...and it would ease you into whisk(e)ys. ;)

Taxman71
8/14/2009, 05:30 PM
Sorry to say, but I am NOT one who likes Woodford Reserve. Nothing wrong with it, just a personal preference thing.

That's the great thing about em, each tastes a little different to us all. Plus, every time I had a bad night, I switch brands. Jim Beam led to Wild Turkey which led to Bookers which led to Makers which led to Woodford Reserve. Hadn't had a bad night with that stuff........yet. Just the name "Black Maple Hill" sounds good.

As for crown, considering it gets mixed with coke 99% of the time, Black Velvet tastes nearly as good to me for $10 a liter.

the_ouskull
8/15/2009, 02:35 AM
Jim Beam led to Wild Turkey which led to Bookers which led to Makers which led to Woodford Reserve. Hadn't had a bad night with that stuff........yet.

It's called getting older. And, why would I care what people in Kentucky think about what I call my distilled spirit of choice? Especially since it's a Tennessee beverage, right? :D

the_ouskull

Veritas
8/15/2009, 09:46 AM
Jack Daniels isn't bourbon because it's made with like 80 - 85% corn mash. It's actually more of a corn whiskey than it is anything else. Now, you'll hear all kinds of stuff about how their charcoal process makes it some type of "Kentucky Straight" whiskey...that's just marketing BS. There is no such recognized category.

Here's the deal on bourbon vs whiskey. All bourbons are whiskies, but all whiskies are not bourbons. Any whiskey that is made with 50% to less than 80% corn is a bourbon *regardless of the location of distillation.* Most bourbons are made in Tennessee but the title is not exclusive to Tennessee produced bourbons.

Lott's Bandana
8/15/2009, 09:51 AM
Ok, so in the Duty Free stores in Bangkok and Taipei airports, the biggest and maybe priciest whisky was Highland Park.

Any feedback on HP?

Veritas
8/15/2009, 10:07 AM
Ok, so in the Duty Free stores in Bangkok and Taipei airports, the biggest and maybe priciest whisky was Highland Park.

Any feedback on HP?
HP is a great Scotch whisky, particularly the 18 year, although the 12 year is excellent as well. It's one of two whiskies distilled on the Island of Orkney which lies off the northern tip of Scotland.

HP is less "peated" than many of the other island whiskies. Many of the islands, especially Islay, will basically roast their barley in kilns fired by peat, a combustible type of dirt found close to marshes and such (that's a whole nother monologue there. :) ) Peat imparts a very distinctive smokey flavor...my friend Ashley calls peated whiskies a "campfire in a glass."

Anyway, HP does not prominently feature peat. It's a relatively sweet Scotch that has a very subtle briny aspect to it as well as pretty strong floral and herbal notes. There's a strong sense of maple and caramel in the "nose" (the smell).

I could go on, but I'd probably just bore everyone. I'm obviously completely obsessed with whisky. It's a really fascinating hobby.

Turd_Ferguson
8/15/2009, 10:17 AM
HP is a great Scotch whisky, particularly the 18 year, although the 12 year is excellent as well. It's one of two whiskies distilled on the Island of Orkney which lies off the northern tip of Scotland.

HP is less "peated" than many of the other island whiskies. Many of the islands, especially Islay, will basically roast their barley in kilns fired by peat, a combustible type of dirt found close to marshes and such (that's a whole nother monologue there. :) ) Peat imparts a very distinctive smokey flavor...my friend Ashley calls peated whiskies a "campfire in a glass."

Anyway, HP does not prominently feature peat. It's a relatively sweet Scotch that has a very subtle briny aspect to it as well as pretty strong floral and herbal notes. There's a strong sense of maple and caramel in the "nose" (the smell).

I could go on, but I'd probably just bore everyone. I'm obviously completely obsessed with whisky. It's a really fascinating hobby.Heh. Great info. Every scotch I've ever drank tasted like that.

Breadburner
8/15/2009, 10:41 AM
Ya have to make beer before you make whiskey.....

the_ouskull
8/15/2009, 11:37 AM
Jack Daniels isn't bourbon because it's made with like 80 - 85% corn mash. It's actually more of a corn whiskey than it is anything else. Now, you'll hear all kinds of stuff about how their charcoal process makes it some type of "Kentucky Straight" whiskey...that's just marketing BS. There is no such recognized category.

Here's the deal on bourbon vs whiskey. All bourbons are whiskies, but all whiskies are not bourbons. Any whiskey that is made with 50% to less than 80% corn is a bourbon *regardless of the location of distillation.* Most bourbons are made in Tennessee but the title is not exclusive to Tennessee produced bourbons.

Exactly... That's one thing that bothers me about Old English 800... or, 8-Ball, if you grew up in the hood as I did... on the label, it says, "Charcoal Filtered." How the sh*t is that supposed to be a selling point? Have you ever tasted charcoal?

the_ouskull

royalfan5
8/15/2009, 12:28 PM
I ended up with the Buffalo Trace. I was okay with it. But the mammoth steak I lucked into was the highlight of the night.

Veritas
8/15/2009, 03:32 PM
Exactly... That's one thing that bothers me about Old English 800... or, 8-Ball, if you grew up in the hood as I did... on the label, it says, "Charcoal Filtered." How the sh*t is that supposed to be a selling point? Have you ever tasted charcoal?
I don't know if this is a serious question or not but I'm going to treat it as such because it give me another chance to talk about my favorite libation.

Charcoal is basically a big lump of raw carbon and carbon likes to bond with stuff. So if you take a liquid and filter it through charcoal, many of the impurities will bond to the surface of the charcoal, leaving the good stuff behind. Most water filters, like a Brita, use filters that contain activated charcoal. Activated charcoal has been processed in such a way that it has *way* more surface area than normal charcoal and can therefore bond with lots of stuff.

So anyway. Back to Jack Daniels and Old English: they're touting the charcoal filtration process because it results in a smoother whisky with fewer organic impurities. I don't really know anything about Old English, but Jack Daniels is a pretty decent whiskey, although the high percentage of corn mash leaves it too sweet for my liking.