JLEW1818
8/12/2009, 03:14 PM
GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tommieharris91
8/12/2009, 03:16 PM
Soccer

I believe we have never won in Mexico, or at least this stadium

Games @ 3 P.M.

Nope, and the goal Donovan just scored was the 2nd US goal ever scored at Azteca.

JLEW1818
8/12/2009, 03:17 PM
the Mexican announcer is way better!!!

tommieharris91
8/12/2009, 03:19 PM
Refs are blind. Howard hasn't been asked to make any spectacular saves yet, but he's been sure-handed and well-positioned so far.

Cam
8/12/2009, 03:19 PM
Assist by Donovan, goal by Davies.

Hopefully we keep up the pace of play for the full 90.

tommieharris91
8/12/2009, 03:23 PM
Dammit!!

JLEW1818
8/12/2009, 03:23 PM
****KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Cam
8/12/2009, 03:38 PM
Should've been a card on Mexico there.

Cam
8/12/2009, 03:44 PM
By the way, wth is it with the start time and why are the Mexicans wearing long sleeves? Isn't it hot there?

JLEW1818
8/12/2009, 03:51 PM
biased *** refs.

just wait for world cup, we will get screwed even harder

Collier11
8/12/2009, 04:03 PM
biased *** refs.

Davies had the goal, Donovan the assist

just wait for world cup, we will get screwed even harder

These refs are bad!

1-1 at the half but we are wearing ourselves out and collecting a ton of yellow cards

JLEW1818
8/12/2009, 04:07 PM
this win would be sweet... the USA players might want to run off the field

Cam
8/12/2009, 04:15 PM
A draw would be sweet. A win would be party in the streets worthy.

Cam
8/12/2009, 04:21 PM
Again with the questionable subs. Bradley's just not the answer.

Collier11
8/12/2009, 04:39 PM
gettin a little chippy

JLEW1818
8/12/2009, 04:44 PM

JLEW1818
8/12/2009, 04:46 PM
lets just start fighting now

Cam
8/12/2009, 04:47 PM
That's unfortunate. Neither team deserves the 3 points IMO.

JLEW1818
8/12/2009, 04:51 PM
wow Mexico thats why your the **** hole of the world, throwing ****ing trash on our players, stupid ****ing mexico

Cam
8/12/2009, 04:55 PM
Oh well. I figured it'd be 2-0 Mexico, so we did better than I thought we would.

JLEW1818
8/12/2009, 04:57 PM
i predicted 2-1 USA.... rats

over under was 2.5

spread was usa +.5

silverwheels
8/12/2009, 05:11 PM
I was expecting a loss, but I still hate those dirty *******s. We could have all but knocked them out of the WC with a win; even a draw would have put them on life support. Dammit, dammit, dammit. F you, Mexico.

Hopefully Bradley has only a year left as manager. We need to keep him for continuity at the WC, but after that we need someone new and better. That starting lineup sucked and after we scored, we just totally **** our pants.

Cam
8/12/2009, 09:26 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why Ching has a uniform, much less a starting role.

After the WC, Bradley needs to go and somebody with Int'l experience needs to be brought in. The last thing we need is another American with zero experience outside of the US.

Curly Bill
8/12/2009, 10:09 PM
It's soccer, I'm still trying to figure out why anyone cares. :D

silverwheels
8/12/2009, 11:20 PM
It's soccer, I'm still trying to figure out why anyone cares. :D

OMG LOLZ!!!!

:rolleyes:

Collier11
8/12/2009, 11:53 PM
If it isnt international soccer I could care less, I like any attempt at world domination for the US though

Curly Bill
8/13/2009, 01:14 AM
If it isnt international soccer I could care less, I like any attempt at world domination for the US though

I actually like watching good soccer, say like: Argentina -v- Brazil.

I just don't really want it to ever be big in this country -- our kids need to be playing football, basketball, and baseball -- you know, real sports. ;)

We don't need even more soccer moms driving around in their ghey little minivans and SUV's. ;)

silverwheels
8/13/2009, 03:06 AM
I know the winky face is there, but LMAO at the notion of basketball and baseball being "real sports" compared to soccer, especially baseball. I want us to be an international power; we have the athletes, but damn near all of them play other sports, and the coaching at all levels here isn't even close to the coaching kids get elsewhere, like England, Spain, France, etc. We really need to start there and then see where it goes.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 09:00 AM
Give me a break with the whole soccer is more of a real sport than baseball and basketball. I will grant you that Pro basketball has become little more than who can jump higher but NBA basketball players are still some of the best athletes in the world.

While you dont have to be the best in shape athlete to be good at baseball, you have to be very highly skilled and coordinated

Soccer you run around and kick a ball back and forth for 90 minutes, im not saying they arent great athletes but the sport itself lacks in my opinion

theresonly1OU
8/13/2009, 10:32 AM
Soccer you run around and kick a ball back and forth for 90 minutes, im not saying they arent great athletes but the sport itself lacks in my opinion

You have NO idea what the f**k you're talking about.

Period.

The end.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 10:41 AM
Actually I do but thanks for playing, I know quite a bit about soccer. Of course I was being somewhat sarcastic in my statement about just kicking the ball around but my opinion stands that soccer requires the least amount of skill than any other major pro sport

silverwheels
8/13/2009, 10:47 AM
Have you ever played soccer? And I'm not talking about some circle jerk rec league or anything.

silverwheels
8/13/2009, 11:09 AM
By the way, wth is it with the start time and why are the Mexicans wearing long sleeves? Isn't it hot there?

The start time was so the smog will be at a higher level, and the weather down there has actually been pretty mild the past few days. I think the temp at kickoff yesterday was in the mid- to upper-70s.

I'm still pissed that we lost when we should have gotten a draw, but Honduras won last night, too, so Mexico is still in 4th. ****ers.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 11:16 AM
Have you ever played soccer? And I'm not talking about some circle jerk rec league or anything.

You know the great thing about this argument, its all based on my opinion vs your opinion. You two that are getting all worked up, who cares?

I personally think it is alot harder to catch a tailing line drive in centerfield or hit a 87 mph curve ball followed by a 97 mph fastball and in fact, hitting a baseball has been proven to be one of the hardest if not the hardest thing to do in sports.

Taking a hit from a 250lb linebacker or catching a pass in double coverage is much tougher than dribbling down the field and kicking the ball to your teammate.

Hitting a jump shot with a defender draped all over you is much tougher than trying to get a shot off in soccer.

The game of soccer lacks overall excitement and strategy, and dont whine about that statement. Compare the strategy in soccer to putting together a defensive gameplan in football, not even close.

I will give a ton of credit to the really good goalies, those guys are bad A and like I said, I think soccer players are great athletes and are obviously coordinated at the highest level, but the overall game lacks.

silverwheels
8/13/2009, 11:25 AM
You're right, it's your opinion, which isn't the most sound but that's not my problem.

I've played soccer, baseball, and basketball competitively and soccer was the hardest overall by far. Sure, hitting a baseball is difficult, but other that I thought it was pretty boring. Basketball is not more difficult than soccer; try looking like you know what you're doing dribbling a basketball then do the same with soccer. I bet it's much easier for most people to dribble a basketball.

I'm not saying soccer is the hardest thing in the world to do, but people in the USA discredit it so much when most of the time they have no idea what they're talking about.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 11:27 AM
I feel the same about yours, atleast we can agree on that ;)

silverwheels
8/13/2009, 11:29 AM
And whether you acknowledge it or not, a lot of strategy goes into soccer. It's not just running around and kicking a ball.

Curly Bill
8/13/2009, 12:37 PM
I like the part about soccer where they trip and then lay on the field writhing in pain for 10 minutes. :O

silverwheels
8/13/2009, 12:57 PM
I like the part about soccer where they trip and then lay on the field writhing in pain for 10 minutes. :O

If the refs stop rewarding that kind of behavior and penalize it instead, then it wouldn't happen. Retroactive cards would be a good start.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 01:21 PM
Soccer has some lame rules as well

The flopping is outrageous
The two yellows and you miss a game is retarded
The offsides when you just flat out beat your defender and arent just snowbirding is rediculous as well

silverwheels
8/13/2009, 01:46 PM
All sports have lame rules.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 01:47 PM
those are some of the lamest

silverwheels
8/13/2009, 01:49 PM
I've seen worse, but whatever. You guys don't really like soccer; I get it. Make your own anti-soccer thread.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 01:57 PM
Hey, I already said I really enjoy international soccer, past that though...blah!

theresonly1OU
8/13/2009, 01:57 PM
You have NO idea what the f**k you're talking about.

Period.

The end.

....In my opinion

Fixed.

Try running the equivalent of 5 to 7 miles almost non-stop (unless you're the keeper), while controlling a ball with only your feet, dodging 11 other guys who will stop at nothing to get the ball away from you, with nothing but a piece of hard plastic worn under a sock to soften the blow of a slide tackle,in an effort to put said ball into the back of a net 100 yards away.

Then come talk to me about playing catch with a glove.

Nothing against baseball players, but you're high on crack if you think baseball is a more physically demanding sport than soccer.

...that or a two-bit has been afternoon sports radio talkshow host.

KC//CRIMSON
8/13/2009, 01:59 PM
You're right, it's your opinion, which isn't the most sound but that's not my problem.

I've played soccer, baseball, and basketball competitively and soccer was the hardest overall by far. Sure, hitting a baseball is difficult, but other that I thought it was pretty boring. Basketball is not more difficult than soccer; try looking like you know what you're doing dribbling a basketball then do the same with soccer. I bet it's much easier for most people to dribble a basketball.

I'm not saying soccer is the hardest thing in the world to do, but people in the USA discredit it so much when most of the time they have no idea what they're talking about.

Having actually played for over twenty years.........+1

theresonly1OU
8/13/2009, 02:02 PM
The offsides when you just flat out beat your defender and arent just snowbirding is rediculous as well

Explain, please.

If you are referring to the fact that you can't be behind the last defensive player when a ball gets played to you, that is the same as cherry-picking in the NBA.

...or a WR starting a play behind the corner in the NFL.

In short, all that is required to stay onsides during a play is to be even with the last defender at the START of your run (i.e. when the ball is played overtop, and you start racing towards it,etc).

...but what am I saying? There's no strategy involved in kicking a ball downfield, right?

GrapevineSooner
8/13/2009, 02:16 PM
Fixed.

Try running the equivalent of 5 to 7 miles almost non-stop (unless you're the keeper), while controlling a ball with only your feet, dodging 11 other guys who will stop at nothing to get the ball away from you, with nothing but a piece of hard plastic worn under a sock to soften the blow of a slide tackle,in an effort to put said ball into the back of a net 100 yards away.

Nothing against baseball players, but you're high on crack if you think baseball is a more physically demanding sport than soccer.

...that or a two-bit has been afternoon sports radio talkshow host.

For those who think baseball is more physically demanding, I have two words for you.

John Kruk.

And I have two more.

Bartolo Colon.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 02:23 PM

...that or a two-bit has been afternoon sports radio talkshow host.[/QUOTE]

Try playing over 200 games with one or two days off a month

Explain, please.

If you are referring to the fact that you can't be behind the last defensive player when a ball gets played to you, that is the same as cherry-picking in the NBA.

What I am talking about specifically is just like one of the plays that happened yesterday where the US guy (dont remember who) in the 2nd half and his front foot may have been past the defender simply because he made a better play on the ball and not because he was cherry picking

For those who think baseball is more physically demanding, I have two words for you.

John Kruk.

And I have two more.

Bartolo Colon.

What does that have to do with it, for a pitcher I would agree cus they work 6 times a month, if you arent a pitcher then my point above stands true

Collier11
8/13/2009, 02:29 PM

^Only because it is more natural to Americans I would say

Im not saying Soccer is a horrible sport, im just saying I dont think it is the most physically challenging

Curly Bill
8/13/2009, 02:29 PM
The soccer offsides rule is the gheyest rule in all of sports -- and that's saying something.

Curly Bill
8/13/2009, 02:30 PM
I've seen worse, but whatever. You guys don't really like soccer; I get it. Make your own anti-soccer thread.

jlew started the thread, lets ask him if he cares we're here. ;)

Cam
8/13/2009, 03:56 PM
Again with this fuggin argument? Every fuggin year. You don't like the sport, we get it.

Scott D
8/13/2009, 04:57 PM
I'm not too concerned. I figure the way things will play out, the US will qualify, we'll end up in another "group of death" and likely go 1-2-0 at best in group play missing the elimination round. You know, the same thing that happens every other World Cup.

Bradley will ride the good feelings of beating Spain in that other tournament where the US had no business making it past group play until that point. Then perhaps USA Soccer will finally start to question his poor man management, flawed tactics, and overall cluelessness.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 05:35 PM
Again with this fuggin argument? Every fuggin year. You don't like the sport, we get it.

some of you soccer fans are as big of weenies as the actual players, quit yer whining already

JLEW1818
8/13/2009, 05:38 PM
Oguchi Onyewu is my boy

Curly Bill
8/13/2009, 05:39 PM
hehehe

silverwheels
8/13/2009, 06:33 PM
I'm not too concerned. I figure the way things will play out, the US will qualify, we'll end up in another "group of death" and likely go 1-2-0 at best in group play missing the elimination round. You know, the same thing that happens every other World Cup.

Bradley will ride the good feelings of beating Spain in that other tournament where the US had no business making it past group play until that point. Then perhaps USA Soccer will finally start to question his poor man management, flawed tactics, and overall cluelessness.

Yeah, we'll make the final tournament unless we just collapse against the weak *** teams we have left. I hope Mexico doesn't, though, and they're still very much in danger of that.

But this WC won't be in Europe, so we might have a chance at making some noise. If Bradley can remember what he did at the Confederations Cup then use that to his advantage we should play moderately well. Hopefully Holden and Torres see some quality minutes with the A-list squad before next Summer.

I agree about Bradley's poor management to the fullest; one game he puts out a great lineup that does well, and then in the next match he'll trot out 11 guys who probably shouldn't be playing together, at least against quality competition. Then when the **** is hitting the fan on the field he just stands there on the sideline with a "WTF do I do?" look on his face. We need a manager who can take control of the game when it's not in our favor and at least try to swing it the other way. And this bunkering down business when we get a lead, especially on the road, has got to go. Save that for the last 15, at the earliest.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 07:26 PM
Oguchi Onyewu is my boy

he is a bad ace

theresonly1OU
8/13/2009, 11:22 PM
some of you soccer fans are as big of weenies as the baseball players, quit yer whining already

you're welcome.

Collier11
8/13/2009, 11:25 PM
well ill be darned, ya got me thur

theresonly1OU
8/13/2009, 11:35 PM
well ill be darned, ya got me thur

...at least you're a good sport.

...for a soccer hater. :D

Collier11
8/13/2009, 11:37 PM
I dont hate soccer, just think it is boring ;) Now a few years back I was up at 3am watching USA play their games

Cam
8/14/2009, 08:09 AM
some of you soccer fans are as big of weenies as the actual players, quit yer whining already

If me getting tired of reading the same **** year in/year out from the same people regarding this makes me a whiner, then so be it.

Trying to explain why we like the sport to somebody that doesn't is like clapping with one hand. It just doesn't work. You've made your voice heard, move on. This horse was dead a couple years ago.

Cam
8/14/2009, 08:10 AM

Next verse, same as the first.

Collier11
8/14/2009, 11:19 AM
If me getting tired of reading the same **** year in/year out from the same people regarding this makes me a whiner, then so be it.

Trying to explain why we like the sport to somebody that doesn't is like clapping with one hand. It just doesn't work. You've made your voice heard, move on. This horse was dead a couple years ago.

I guess you didnt read any of my previous posts in the thread did ya, I never said I didnt like the sport...we were having a completely different argument

Scott D
8/14/2009, 11:38 AM
But this WC won't be in Europe, so we might have a chance at making some noise. If Bradley can remember what he did at the Confederations Cup then use that to his advantage we should play moderately well. Hopefully Holden and Torres see some quality minutes with the A-list squad before next Summer

yeah but it's in a country that the name begins with South...which means we'll be lucky to get the 1 win we do (we had no business beating Portugal, they just picked the wrong time to be out of form)

Cam
8/14/2009, 12:35 PM
I guess you didnt read any of my previous posts in the thread did ya, I never said I didnt like the sport...we were having a completely different argument

Nope, read them all. Have heard it all before. Love playing against guys who say exactly the same things that you do. They typically don't last long because they're too humiliated by half time to finish the game.

Other than hitting a 90+mph fastball, you're assertions are off base.

It's really not very hard to not post in a thread. Try it sometime.

Collier11
8/14/2009, 12:47 PM
Now youre just being a tard, but what else should I expect but someone claiming to have won the innerwebs fight. I guess you got me you tough soccer fan you

CobraKai
8/14/2009, 01:16 PM
Arguing that soccer is boring or that the rules are dumb is fine. To each his own. I think hockey is boring and that icing is a stupid rule, but I'm sure any hockey fan would think I'm insane. However, arguing that soccer is not among the most physically demanding sports is hard to imagine IMO. Honestly, soccer players exert more physical energy than a large majority of sports. Having played soccer, football, and basketball, I think soccer was as physically challenging as any of them. Just my opinion.

Regarding the game, I was in Mexico City on Wednesday, and suffice it to say it was a tough day to be an American. I'm just glad I was not at Azteca.

Collier11
8/14/2009, 03:40 PM
Listen, this is my only argument about the physical challenges of soccer compared to other sports, if the soccer guys want to whine who cares.

Football tougher than soccer for obvious reasons
Baseball tougher than soccer, this is why I say that and it isnt to put down soccer. Baseball players play between 130-180 games on average over a 7 or 8 month season.

Soccer is probably tougher physically than basketball but I would say it is closer than most would think. Basketball players do play over 100 games in a season with exhibition and playoff games

If you dont like it thats fine, if you disagree thats fine, just quit whining about it.

KC//CRIMSON
8/14/2009, 03:47 PM
Baseball players play between 130-180 games on average over a 7 or 8 month season.

ZOMG! They have to stand in one place for nine innings waiting for something to happen!

Yeah, that's rough.

CobraKai
8/14/2009, 03:53 PM
Listen, this is my only argument about the physical challenges of soccer compared to other sports, if the soccer guys want to whine who cares.

Football tougher than soccer for obvious reasons
Baseball tougher than soccer, this is why I say that and it isnt to put down soccer. Baseball players play between 130-180 games on average over a 7 or 8 month season.

Soccer is probably tougher physically than basketball but I would say it is closer than most would think. Basketball players do play over 100 games in a season with exhibition and playoff games

If you dont like it thats fine, if you disagree thats fine, just quit whining about it.

Did you misinterpret my post as whining? If so, that was not the intent. I said it was just my opinion. I agree that football is tougher. Obviously football players don't run nearly as much, but the other physical punishment makes up for it. I think basketball is close, but the main difference is that soccer players can't sub when they are tired. If basketball players were required to play all 48 minutes I think it would be even.

My argument with baseball is that, although they play more games, they exert very little physical activity relative to most sports. Would you say golf is tougher than soccer? Golfers play 12 months out of the year, 4 rounds per week. By that measure, it is tougher than all of them.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just giving a personal opinion based on my own personal experience.

silverwheels
8/14/2009, 03:55 PM
yeah but it's in a country that the name begins with South...which means we'll be lucky to get the 1 win we do (we had no business beating Portugal, they just picked the wrong time to be out of form)

We may have been lucky, but luck is a big part of the WC as well. We do always seem to get screwed with the draw, though; if we can manage to be in one of the groups that won't have 2 European teams (long odds on that one) then I like our chances to do a 2002 again, provided we actually show up to play.

Collier11
8/14/2009, 04:11 PM
Did you misinterpret my post as whining? If so, that was not the intent. I said it was just my opinion. I agree that football is tougher. Obviously football players don't run nearly as much, but the other physical punishment makes up for it. I think basketball is close, but the main difference is that soccer players can't sub when they are tired. If basketball players were required to play all 48 minutes I think it would be even.

My argument with baseball is that, although they play more games, they exert very little physical activity relative to most sports. Would you say golf is tougher than soccer? Golfers play 12 months out of the year, 4 rounds per week. By that measure, it is tougher than all of them.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just giving a personal opinion based on my own personal experience.

No, not you at all...im speaking of Cam and his buddies who get all up in arms over this. As far as baseball, I see your argument that baseball players dont exert near as much energry in their games but you are talking about 2-4 hours games compared to an hour and a half and as I said nearly 200 games at times. Either way, it isnt worth getting all upset over.

Golfers if they carried their own bags could have an argument but no, they have no argument. Yea they golf most of the year but they are working a few days a week also

silverwheels
8/14/2009, 05:06 PM
My problem is more with people going into a soccer thread when they don't like and/or don't know much about the sport just to tell the people in there that they don't like it. I think NASCAR is about as lame as it gets, but you don't see me going into racing threads to tell those people what they're watching is stupid. I don't care much for MMA anymore (although that's more to do with "fans" of it than MMA itself) and I'm not in there bedowngrading it.

Scott D
8/14/2009, 05:40 PM
No, not you at all...im speaking of Cam and his buddies who get all up in arms over this. As far as baseball, I see your argument that baseball players dont exert near as much energry in their games but you are talking about 2-4 hours games compared to an hour and a half and as I said nearly 200 games at times. Either way, it isnt worth getting all upset over.

Golfers if they carried their own bags could have an argument but no, they have no argument. Yea they golf most of the year but they are working a few days a week also

baseball might be more entertaining if it had a running clock ;)

Collier11
8/14/2009, 05:48 PM
My problem is more with people going into a soccer thread when they don't like and/or don't know much about the sport just to tell the people in there that they don't like it. I think NASCAR is about as lame as it gets, but you don't see me going into racing threads to tell those people what they're watching is stupid. I don't care much for MMA anymore (although that's more to do with "fans" of it than MMA itself) and I'm not in there bedowngrading it.

and if you saw I was in here talking about the game, it just moved to this ;)

baseball might be more entertaining if it had a running clock ;)

true

silverwheels
8/14/2009, 06:37 PM
and if you saw I was in here talking about the game, it just moved to this ;)

That wasn't really directed towards you. The soccer-bashing was started by someone else.

Collier11
8/14/2009, 06:51 PM
I know, I am actually pumped about the world cup...I just hope we dont screw it up like 3 years ago when we were stuck in the pool of death

silverwheels
8/14/2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah; we need to finish out the qualifers in a good way, certainly, although we'll still probably get stuck in a group with 2 Euro teams and the best team from elsewhere in the world. I think that you have to go with Brazil or Spain as the favorites at the moment, though. Don't know what's going on with Argentina but they should be up there as well.

Scott D
8/14/2009, 11:41 PM
provided they get their **** together and qualify.

JLEW1818
8/15/2009, 12:46 AM
damn 1 star for this thread? i suck

Curly Bill
8/15/2009, 01:33 AM
damn 1 star for this thread? i suck

What you get for starting a soccer thread. ;)

silverwheels
8/15/2009, 02:23 PM
provided they get their **** together and qualify.

Yeah, two years ago I would have had them up there with Brazil as one of the favorites but they don't even appear to want to qualify.

And Curly Bill, are you done yet? Although if you're going to troll a thread for no reason, troll hard, I guess.

Curly Bill
8/15/2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah, two years ago I would have had them up there with Brazil as one of the favorites but they don't even appear to want to qualify.

And Curly Bill, are you done yet? Although if you're going to troll a thread for no reason, troll hard, I guess.

I was waiting on your permission to continue so thanks. :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
8/16/2009, 01:24 AM
You soccer guys should give me some credit, I watched Chelsea and Hull City today. (at least I think that's who it was)

I don't mind soccer, I just have no big desire to ever see it really take off in this country.

tommieharris91
8/16/2009, 01:50 AM
You soccer guys should give me some credit, I watched Chelsea and Hull City today. (at least I think that's who it was)

I don't mind soccer, I just have no big desire to ever see it really take off in this country.

Pro soccer won't ever even get to NHL popularity in the US as long as the top players get paid the big skrilla to play in Europe.

Curly Bill
8/16/2009, 01:58 AM
Pro soccer won't ever even get to NHL popularity in the US as long as the top players get paid the big skrilla to play in Europe.

Yup.

Collier11
8/16/2009, 02:24 AM
Good or bad, the United states is a fast paced country now and that is part of the reason why soccer fails in the US. Baseball sells out ball parks nightly but the tv ratings suck cus of the pace, same with soccer in many regards

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 10:17 AM
my goal is to get out of pool play...

KC//CRIMSON
8/16/2009, 10:51 AM

Don't kid yourself, pro soccer is alive and well in the US. They (MLS) just had two expansion teams added with Seattle and San Jose with other teams coming soon to Philly, Vancouver, and Portland.

KC sells out every home game and is in the process of building a new multi-million dollar soccer stadium and complex for the Wizards.

US soccer is on the way up.

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 11:01 AM
maybe, but it will never be like Club soccer. More people in the US are into Club, then MLS.

But I sure would like to see MLS get bigger.

but they have tried with Huge Star players, and it still does not work....

they show what? 1 game every other week on Espn2?

silverwheels
8/16/2009, 12:10 PM
Don't kid yourself, pro soccer is alive and well in the US. They (MLS) just had two expansion teams added with Seattle and San Jose with other teams coming soon to Philly, Vancouver, and Portland.

KC sells out every home game and is in the process of building a new multi-million dollar soccer stadium and complex for the Wizards.

Yeah, MLS is getting bigger, but I still think they're expanding too fast, and into the wrong markets. I would rather have seen them go into Miami and Atlanta before Vancouver and Portland. Even a second team in New York would have been better. Vancouver and Portland deserve MLS teams, but they could have waited, although as long as MLS doesn't expand into St. Louis there won't be too much damage done.

silverwheels
8/16/2009, 12:13 PM
maybe, but it will never be like Club soccer. More people in the US are into Club, then MLS.

But I sure would like to see MLS get bigger.

but they have tried with Huge Star players, and it still does not work....

they show what? 1 game every other week on Espn2?

The "Superstar" thing didn't work because it wasn't the right thing to do. For the time being the MLS should be focusing on developing young players and giving them shots to go to Europe. Then if the league ever gets big they can stay home after they've made their names.

ESPN2 is supposed to show at least a game a week. That's where a second team in NYC would help. Also, Miami is a huge soccer market that only has a USL team; if they had had a stadium and better owners when the MLS was in town, the Fusion would still be there.

KC//CRIMSON
8/16/2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, MLS is getting bigger, but I still think they're expanding too fast, and into the wrong markets. I would rather have seen them go into Miami and Atlanta before Vancouver and Portland. Even a second team in New York would have been better. Vancouver and Portland deserve MLS teams, but they could have waited, although as long as MLS doesn't expand into St. Louis there won't be too much damage done.

I think expanding in Vancouver and Portland is a good idea. They always had a solid following as the Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers back in the 80's. I see no reason why they wouldn't again. Those west coasters love their soccer.

silverwheels
8/16/2009, 12:23 PM
I think expanding in Vancouver and Portland is a good idea. They always had a solid following as the Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers back in the 80's. I see no reason why they wouldn't again. Those west coasters love their soccer.

I agree that both cities deserve to have teams in the top division, but for the long term I think they could have waited until after Miami (who could team up with FC Barcelona) and Atlanta or New York. The South is American football crazy but there is potential for the MLS in Atlanta.

I am glad to see the Sounders doing so well in their first season, both on the field and in the stands. It's their first year and they already have the best game atmosphere.

KC//CRIMSON
8/16/2009, 12:27 PM
I agree that both cities deserve to have teams in the top division, but for the long term I think they could have waited until after Miami (who could team up with FC Barcelona) and Atlanta or New York. The South is American football crazy but there is potential for the MLS in Atlanta.

I am glad to see the Sounders doing so well in their first season, both on the field and in the stands. It's their first year and they already have the best game atmosphere.

Yep, and having over 32,000 for your home opener is not too shabby.

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 12:36 PM
yep, its just so hard to compete with NFL and NBA and MLB and stuff.

but don't get me wrong, i love me some soccer.

I'd take hockey off, and put more MLS on in a heart beat.

but the real question is, "how many players on the USA world cup team actually play in the MLS?"

Scott D
8/16/2009, 01:41 PM
Most of them either have played in MLS, or like Kasey Keller eventually play in the MLS.

Collier11
8/16/2009, 01:56 PM

we all know that MLS has zero as far as tv ratings and are considered a joke world wide as a league

I agree with you Jlew, id take soccer over NHL anyday though

KC//CRIMSON
8/16/2009, 02:00 PM
we all know that MLS has zero as far as tv ratings and are considered a joke world wide as a league.

And I'm suppose to care? I still go to the games and support the teams.

Collier11
8/16/2009, 02:25 PM
I didnt say you shouldnt, my point is that for all the progress that MLS has made, it is still considered laughable around the world and the fact that they are expanding will just dilute the talent even more

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 04:32 PM
Most of them either have played in MLS, or like Kasey Keller eventually play in the MLS.

Donovan plays, b/c he is the star of the league, he could play across seas, but I don't think the MLS would let him leave.

Dempsey plays over seas

Onyewu plays over seas

Altidore and Beasley play over seas

Howard too

face it, most good American players don't play in the MLS, the MLS is a joke compared to the European leagues.

silverwheels
8/16/2009, 05:29 PM
Like I said, what MLS should be focusing on for the short term future is developing young guys for the national team and so they can get shots to play in Europe.

Cam
8/17/2009, 10:01 PM
No, not you at all...im speaking of Cam and his buddies who get all up in arms over this.

Trust me when I say this: I could give two ****s what your opinion on soccer is. It's not your opinion that's frustrating, it's the constant flapping that ****ed up a thread in which you really care nothing about.

Seriously, if you're not into the subject of a thread, don't post. It really is easy to do.

[shakes head, walks away to update his ignore list.]

Collier11
8/17/2009, 10:13 PM
Crybaby much

Oh noes, people are so mean to soccer

GrapevineSooner
8/17/2009, 10:29 PM
No, he simply said he didn't consider your opinion worthy enough to give two s**ts about.

Don't be mad. We realize we're the rat bastards of the sports world.

And in a way, that's the way we like it.

Collier11
8/17/2009, 10:32 PM
If he didnt give two sh*ts about my opinion he wouldnt have responded directly to me numerous times, even after I explained to him that I actually do enjoy international soccer. He is being a baby about it cus I dont worship soccer as a great sport, cry me a river. Not like I was saying soccer sucked or that he was an idiot for being a soccer fan, he is acting like Traber

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 10:46 PM
Collier my boy, we sipping on the 5th

Collier11
8/17/2009, 10:47 PM
you know it, ill be out the 4th as well...im not sipping though, im chugging

Curly Bill
8/17/2009, 10:49 PM
You guys are ruining the soccer thread! :rolleyes:

Collier11
8/17/2009, 10:50 PM
I know, its not like the game hasnt been over for nearly a week