PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On This BYU Article?

Okie35
8/11/2009, 08:57 AM
BYU football: Cougars preparing full speed for Sooners

PROVO — When BYU was going through fall camp a year ago, there was almost no mention of the Cougars' opening opponent, Northern Iowa.

This time around, however, it's hard to ignore BYU's first game — against national power Oklahoma, which will be played at the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium on Sept. 5.

Needless to say, there will be little margin for error against the Sooners. With such a big game looming on the horizon, there's an added sense of urgency in fall camp.

"It is more intense, knowing you have to open up against a big-time opponent, and knowing you've got to be at your best that first game — no room for mistakes like playing Northern Iowa, where if you make mistakes, you can battle back," said quarterback Max Hall. "If we make mistakes (against Oklahoma), they're going to crush us. We've got to go in there with the mindset that we're going to give them a fight, we're going to play sound football, and we're going to take it to the end."

Through the first two days of practice, the Cougars are already trying to simulate game situations as much as possible.
Story continues below

"We're pushing the tempo as quickly as we can," explained coach Bronco Mendenhall. "There's a lot more things going on in terms of making it more game-like, faster and pushing the scheme as quickly as possible. I think it will be effective."

Offensive coordinator Robert Anae is doing something new — taking a spot on the second-story balcony of the Student Athlete Center that oversees the practice field, wearing a headset and calling plays during 11-on-11 drills. On the practice field, quarterbacks coach Brandon Doman and receivers coach Patrick Higgins are wearing headsets, communicating with Anae.

This season, for the first time since he was handed the reins of the Cougar offense in 2005, Anae will be calling plays from the press box instead of from the sidelines.

Defensive lineman Jan Jorgensen said the work done during fall camp is similar to past seasons, but there's an extra spring in the players' steps because of the showdown with Oklahoma.

"With the players, there's a little different mindset because we know we've got that huge game coming up. But all in all, we're working just as hard as we have any other year," Jorgensen said. "There has been a sense of urgency, but with Coach Mendenhall, every day we're working like we're playing Oklahoma. With him, it doesn't matter who we're playing."

So far, Mendenhall likes the attitude of his team.

Source (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705322618,00.html)

IMO they'll be tired out by the 2nd half and will make a few more mistakes than they want to.

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 09:05 AM
Well BYU has 30 days to prepare, and normally that would concern me, save the fact we have 30 days to prepare for them as well. KW said we have added 18 new sets to last years offense, so unless Joseph Smith has written the new sets on tables of stone, we are gonna win 52-21.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 09:05 AM
Seeing OKLAHOMA on the schedule seems to always get teams excited. I wonder why?

SteelClip49
8/11/2009, 09:06 AM
This isn't some podunk team. Remember how well TCU played OU last season. Remember how well Utah took it to Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. BYU is a top 25 program and you don't want to take them lightly. I am hyped up for this OU team just like last year and other years but you just never know anymore.

Sooners 41 Latter Day Saints 21

badger
8/11/2009, 09:09 AM
I hope that Sooner Nation is reminded that all opponents will be extra fired up when they play a highly-ranked team like us and not to fret if we're only up by three touchdowns after the first quarter. We all know that OU plays three-quarter football, where we take ALL of the first three quarters to build up our half-hundred points, then camp the sidelines in the fourth quarter to give our backups some playing time.

THREE quarter football, people! Don't panic if we're not nearing triple digits right away!

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 09:11 AM
This isn't some podunk team. Remember how well TCU played OU last season. Remember how well Utah took it to Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. BYU is a top 25 program and you don't want to take them lightly. I am hyped up for this OU team just like last year and other years but you just never know anymore.

Well said

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 09:12 AM

Our team is focused on the same thing. Sam said instead of opening with Chattanooga they are opening with BYU. This years squad is starving dude, and their focused as well. Max Hall will spend the evening looking into sky from being on his back all game.

mobilesteve
8/11/2009, 09:16 AM
BYU football: Cougars preparing full speed for Sooners

Source (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705322618,00.html)

IMO they'll be tired out by the 2nd half and will make a few more mistakes than they want to.

WE'RE DOOMED I TELL YOU, DOOMED.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 09:16 AM
Our team is focused on the same thing. Sam said instead of opening with Chattanooga they are opening with BYU. This years squad is starving dude, and their focused as well. Max Hall will spend the evening looking into sky from being on his back all game.

Either the sky or the top of the stadium. That will be up to Mr Jones. Remember, that thing has a sun roof.

goingoneight
8/11/2009, 10:26 AM
If only MJ was alive to watch his team this year. :D

Bring'em Young!

I think it's an early 4th Qtr. game to be honest. Like we're up 31-21 and Sam strikes for 38 and we never look back.

A-M
8/11/2009, 11:43 AM
If only MJ was alive to watch his team this year. :D

Bring'em Young!

I think it's an early 4th Qtr. game to be honest. Like we're up 31-21 and Sam strikes for 38 and we never look back.

Being ahead by 50 in the first half will help my heart a lot. :D

stoopified
8/11/2009, 11:48 AM
I bet they are lifting weights and running too.

badger
8/11/2009, 11:50 AM
I bet they are lifting weights and running too.

The audacity! Next we'll hear that they're watching game film.

cheezyq
8/11/2009, 12:49 PM
What's encouraging to me about last year, especially in regard to BYU or Miami or Tulsa or whoever we face is that the only teams we lost to last year are teams that finished the season #1 and #2. We didn't have a letdown game where we lost against a team we should have beaten handily. We had a letdown 10 minutes against KSU and KU, but the team rallied and kept focus all year long against the type of teams we could have (and have in the past) laid a dud against and lost.

With Sam and others becoming vocal leaders and learning to focus, I don't see BYU or any other team becoming one of those types of games this year. I could be wrong, but it's just a thought.

Widescreen
8/11/2009, 01:05 PM
Remember how well TCU played OU last season.

You mean that 35-10 squeaker? Yeah, TCU was allsome! :D

SteelClip49
8/11/2009, 01:28 PM
compared what OU did to their opponents before that game and afterward? TCU was the #1 defense in the country and they played well enough to make the final score very close compared to what we are used to.

o0Dan0o
8/11/2009, 01:51 PM
compared what OU did to their opponents before that game and afterward? TCU was the #1 defense in the country and they played well enough to make the final score very close compared to what we are used to.

TCU tried to do what UF actually pulled off. Blitz almost every down, leave the secondary in man or zone blitz. They stopped the run, but had no chance against the pass. Sam averaged 12 yards an attempt, that's completely ridiculous, even for Sam.
Dan

BoulderSooner79
8/11/2009, 02:28 PM
That's also before Manny Johnson got hurt and he started the season on fire. He had a career day against the TCU man coverage.

SoonerShay
8/11/2009, 02:40 PM
TCU stomped this same BYU team and they almost lost to a Washington team we monkey raped. Me thinks your just a nervous nellie.

OUmillenium
8/11/2009, 05:13 PM
Monkey raped has just been added to my dictionary.

GKeeper316
8/11/2009, 06:15 PM
they might be able to simulate the pace the game will be played, but they can never simulate the athletes they'll be lined up against.

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 06:22 PM
Well BYU has 30 days to prepare, and normally that would concern me, save the fact we have 30 days to prepare for them as well. KW said we have added 18 new sets to last years offense, so unless Joseph Smith has written the new sets on tables of stone, we are gonna win 52-21.

good deal. keep the info coming :)

MichiganSooner
8/11/2009, 07:09 PM
Of course they are working hard. What do you think Stoops is expecting? Another Washington or Chattanooga? Hopefully, our team is working just as hard or even harder. If we don't show up ready to play, they will win.

I believe, we will show up to play.

Jacie
8/11/2009, 08:36 PM
TCU stomped this same BYU team and they almost lost to a Washington team we monkey r***d. Me thinks your just a nervous nellie.

Perhaps it would be best not to use graphic words especially when preceeded by animal adjectives to describe an OU win . . .

o0Dan0o
8/11/2009, 08:49 PM
TCU stomped this same BYU team and they almost lost to a Washington team we monkey raped. Me thinks your just a nervous nellie.

Perhaps it would be best not to use graphic words especially when preceeded by animal adjectives to describe an OU win . . .

I always preferred f***ed in the goat a**...

silverwheels
8/11/2009, 08:56 PM

Might make the Aggies jealous.

SoonersBIG7
8/11/2009, 09:42 PM
21 points for BYU? thats a slap in the face to OUr defense! I see the oline being great this season, but being good the first couple of games trying to find their rythym. I sense a superb defense and not as electrifying offense that we got used to seeing last year for atleast the first game or two.
Prediction: 28-3

OKC-SLC
8/11/2009, 11:09 PM
Monkey raped has just been added to my dictionary.

in.

o0Dan0o
8/12/2009, 12:30 AM
21 points for BYU? thats a slap in the face to OUr defense! I see the oline being great this season, but being good the first couple of games trying to find their rythym. I sense a superb defense and not as electrifying offense that we got used to seeing last year for atleast the first game or two.
Prediction: 28-3

Yes and no. The reason why I say no is I don't think BYU's front 4 will get consistent pressure on Bradford, and what pressure they do get Bradford will easily escape from (remember the dood ran like a 4.7 as a HS grad, I bet he runs close to a 4.6 maybe under now). They will either have to commit to blitzing or heavy pass defense, either way we eat them up (with the pas or run respectively). I say 28 points, two TD a quarter, in the first half, starters out midway through the third (after another TD).
Dan

A-M
8/12/2009, 10:34 AM
The audacity! Next we'll hear that they're watching game film.

Isn't that against NCAA rules or something?;)