PDA

View Full Version : Epic Failure Prediction...

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 07:49 AM
Texas trying to run the up-tempo no-huddle that we run. They simply don't have the horses to do it, in my opinion. Greg Davis is doing sooner nation a great big favor come OCT 17.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2009/4/29/851626/making-the-jump-to-light-speed

Making the Jump to Light-Speed -- Longhorns Set to Accelerate Tempo
by GhostofBigRoy on Apr 29, 2009 3:37 PM CDT in Football 26 comments

For much of the first half against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl, the prolific Texas offense struggled to move the football against the fast and physical Buckeye defense. Then, in the second half, Greg Davis made a strategic decision foreshadowing the direction of the 2009 offense. Going no huddle with Chris Ogbonnaya in the backfield, the Longhorns increased the tempo and went under center to create a downhill running game. The strategy worked, as the Longhorns finally got the running game going and put the Ohio State defense on their heels.

Such a look is not new to the Big 12. Oklahoma successfully implemented the no-huddle offense in 2008 in an effort to run more plays and combat the clock rules put in before the season. It wasn't always a smooth transition, as OU quarterbacks threw six interceptions in their spring game, including three from the normally mistake-free Sam Bradford, prompting Bob Stoops to wonder how much the Sooners would be able to use the offense. Turns out Stoopsy didn't have much to worry about.

Part of what made Oklahoma so successful was their versatility on offense:

OU has hybrid players all over the field on offense. Tailback DeMarco Murray and tight end Jermaine Gresham can be big-play threats from the slot. Tight end Brody Eldridge is a great blocker at fullback. Fullback Matt Clapp can play tight end or tailback. Unlike almost any other offense in college football, OU can line up in an I-formation one play, shift to an empty backfield with five receivers the next play before swinging to a double-tight end set on third down. And the Sooners can do it all without having to change personnel.

Center Jon Cooper emphasizes the advantages going no-huddle has for the offense, particularly with a personnel package as versatile as the one Oklahoma employs:

The defense can't sub. They could be in a nickel package, and we can go from [an] empty [set] to big without changing anybody, and they have an extra defensive back on the field when we're going to try to run the ball instead of them loading the box. They have to make a choice for a drive instead of a play.

The result?

The Sooners ran a national-best 1,036 plays -- nearly 80 per contest - while ranking just 72nd nationally in time of possession (29:46 per game). That means OU, on average, completed a new play every 22.4 seconds -- and that's with the running 40-second clock between plays that the NCAA instituted this season.

In essence, the reason the no-huddle offense works so well isn't complicated:

First, there's the simple mathematics of it. The more plays you can run, the more points you're capable of scoring.

Secondly, the shortened span between plays makes it harder for opposing defenses to disguise their coverages. Oftentimes, the Sooners snap the ball so quickly, there's simply no time for a safety to creep up or a linebacker to shift gaps.

Teams often tried to disguise their coverages against the Longhorns last season, particularly Oklahoma State, as the Cowboys incorporated a significant amount of pre-snap movement in an attempt to keep Colt McCoy guessing and off balance. There's no reason to expect that McCoy will operate at a level any less than he did his junior season, making blitzing and disguising coverages important once again for opposing defenses. When the Longhorns choose to go no-huddle and up-tempo in 2009, they will reduce the ability of defenses to disguise what they are doing, providing the surgically accurate McCoy with the opportunity to pick defenses apart to an even greater degree. Scary.

Passing offenses aren't known for being particularly physical or wearing down their opponents in the same way that a downhill, pounding running game can leave an opponent, particularly defensive linemen, gasping for air. In a strange way, the 2008 Texas offense wore down opponents by going on sustained drives. While coaches will expect Malcolm Williams to provide more of a deep threat in 2009, the Texas offense will probably remain mostly in the mode of a controlled passing team.

Accelerating the tempo, which reduces a defense's ability to substitute, could help the Longhorns wear down opponents, making it much easier to run late in the game to kill the clock with a lead -- a major emphasis for Mack Brown this season, hence all the spring I-formation work.

In fact, the Longhorns plan to really accelerate the tempo in the 2009 season, both under center, as they did against Ohio State, and also in the shotgun. Offensive coordinator Greg Davis describes the decision:

We used it in the bowl game and with quite a bit of success. We had seven snaps of real fast tempo and six of them were really productive. We caught them [Ohio State's defense] one time with 12 guys on the field, we caught them offsides on a touchdown play and so it's a part.

Davis also notes the role that Colt McCoy will play in running the offense:

It will be a bigger part of our offense as we enter the fall. We're sending in the formation and the play. He'll [Colt] have freedom within that system. One of the things you're doing in that offense is you're trying to catch the defense from being exactly set with their call. Every time you give the quarterback freedom to start changing up there, you're also giving the defense more time to adjust to the formation, but he does have freedom in that formation, in that tempo.

Davis' point illustrates an important facet of going to a no-huddle offense -- the quarterback must have experience in the offense and the confidence to check plays at the line of scrimmage. While Davis took away some of McCoy's responsibility in checking down at the line prior to the 2008 season to limit his mistakes and keep him from trying to make a big play every time, it looks like the Heisman runner-up's leash will get longer in 2009.

Much like the Sooners did in 2008, Davis has lofty goals for the tempo of the offense and will use several different formations to give defenses different looks:

We have a couple of different kinds. One is we're hurry-up in the gun and then we do have hurry-up when we're under center. We're trying to get to the line of scrimmage as the official is making the ball ready for play. Then, we're trying to get the ball snapped from five seconds after he moves away from marking the ball ready for play.

In some ways, the no-huddle offense isn't so much about getting plays off as quickly as teams like Tulsa or Oklahoma -- it's more about getting to the line of scrimmage quickly, then receiving the play from the sideline. In other words, the idea with the no-huddle offense sometimes is to simply keep the opposing team from substituting, rather than getting plays off so quickly after the referee spots the ball, the goal that Davis has publicly set. In that sense, the Longhorns may have, as do many no-huddle teams, several different tempos.

As to Davis' other point about accelerating the tempo both under center and in the shotgun, he may be suggesting a shift to more situational drive blocking. Against Ohio State, the Longhorns did block downhill, on one play moving the line of scrimmage about eight yards downfield on the playside, allowing Chris Ogbonnaya an easy gain. If the offensive line can achieve that level of success drive blocking, then it won't really matter who is running the ball -- any of the current running backs can have a great deal of success with that much open field in front of them.

The greatest disadvantage of the no-huddle offense, particularly when snapping the ball as quickly as possible, is that the defense doesn't have as much time to rest. Oklahoma suffered that fate last season in the Cotton Bowl, as the defense wore down late and allowed the Longhorns to win the game running away. For that reason, going no-huddle, but taking the time to get plays from the sideline may aid in keeping the defense from substituting, but allow the defense time to rest.

Since Will Muschamp isn't known as a person reticent to make his voice heard and purports to having a close relationship with Greg Davis, he will surely let the offensive coordinator know when the defense needs time to catch their collective breath.

However, accelerating the tempo does look to be a major shift in offensive philosophy going into the 2009 season and rates as an exremely sound decision by Greg Davis. The Longhorns don't need a revolutionary offense, but only the ability to evolve by copying other successful ideas that will help improve the running game, especially late in the game, as speeding up the tempo is sure to do.

Let's make the jump to light-speed.

NormanPride
8/11/2009, 08:20 AM
Greg Davis was, is, and has always been an idiot.

CincySooner
8/11/2009, 08:34 AM
Let's make the jump to light-speed.

LUDICROUS SPEED!! GO!!

badger
8/11/2009, 08:44 AM
So you're saying it will be this season's Auburn spread offense? :D

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 08:48 AM
If speeding them up slows them down then I'm all for it. Wait, did that make sense? Yes it did.

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 08:55 AM
If speeding them up slows them down then I'm all for it. Wait, did that make sense? Yes it did.

It's a dumb idea when you consider that we are their main competition. Moving to an offense that our d has practiced against for 2 years now. Also, they lack the diversity (RB, TE) to not have to change personnel in certain situations. Then when you consider when they have short drives, their super thin d-line will be gasping for air. Greg davis needs to stick with throwing short outs and bubble screens.

SouthFortySooner
8/11/2009, 09:39 AM
I despise the horuns, but, I respect them. They may very well put it together.

Partial Qualifier
8/11/2009, 09:41 AM
Greg Davis was, is, and has always been an idiot.

I tend to agree but I give him credit for continuously going to Shipley for large chunks of yardage when RR went out w/injury. Our coaches should've adjusted better but in previous years, Davis might not've even noticed the cluster**** occuring in the middle of our defense once RR went out.

OUMallen
8/11/2009, 09:55 AM

cheezyq
8/11/2009, 10:11 AM
...Also, they lack the diversity (RB, TE) to not have to change personnel in certain situations. Then when you consider when they have short drives, their super thin d-line will be gasping for air. Greg davis needs to stick with throwing short outs and bubble screens.

I agree about the diversity thing. The article makes that point pretty clear, that OU has the ability to switch formations on the fly, not just run "up tempo". Does UT have that personnel? I personally don't see it, as their run game has been pretty much non-existent aside from McCoy in the last couple of years. And you make a good point about the OL, because Stoops also made it clear last year that the OL had to spend a significant amount of time getting in shape and losing weight to effectively run the offense during last offseason.

However, I can see Colt being effective at running a no-huddle. I don't think it will be easy to defend him, as he's proven he can run too. I imagine it'll be more like the UF offense, but more dainty and faster.

I also think it will backfire to an extent. The last thing you want to do when you're already a championship-level team is change something major. You want to tweak things to become more effective, not make a wholesale change. The article mentions switching to an up-tempo game during the Ohio ball game. I think this specifically worked then because OSU wasn't expecting it. If this becomes a regular part of their offense, not just a tweak to catch people off guard, there will be plenty of teams that are prepared for it, particularly teams that played OU in the last couple of years.

NormanPride
8/11/2009, 10:14 AM
I tend to agree but I give him credit for continuously going to Shipley for large chunks of yardage when RR went out w/injury. Our coaches should've adjusted better but in previous years, Davis might not've even noticed the cluster**** occuring in the middle of our defense once RR went out.

I refuse to give Greg Davis credit for the "Colt throws to Shipley more" offense. :D

goingoneight
8/11/2009, 10:19 AM
Another person talking out their azz.

Sam's interceptions in the spring game were:

1. Against a great defense
2. All tipped-ball picks

That had nothing to do with how we communicated plays to the signal caller.

badger
8/11/2009, 10:24 AM
I refuse to give Greg Davis credit for the "Colt throws to Shipley more" offense. :D

Nobody gave a ton of credit to Mikey for the "Graham throws to Crabtree more" offense in Lubbock, either. I think it's a fair comparison, except without the roommate/daddys-are-friends lovefest from Espen

OU_Sooners75
8/11/2009, 10:40 AM
I remember a time when OU took a page from DKR when he was the coach at Texas....and that was to play the Wishbone and did very well at it.

Get used to it, more and more teams will start going to the no huddle fast pace offense like we did last season.

NormanPride
8/11/2009, 10:51 AM
Nobody gave a ton of credit to Mikey for the "Graham throws to Crabtree more" offense in Lubbock, either. I think it's a fair comparison, except without the roommate/daddys-are-friends lovefest from Espen

I'm not sure if this post is disagreeing with me or not. Mike shouldn't get credit for the throw to crabby offense...

badger
8/11/2009, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure if this post is disagreeing with me or not. Mike shouldn't get credit for the throw to crabby offense...

Of course I'm agreeing with you, dear... I was using Crabbie as a comparison, as in, "Don't give kudos to a coach for making the stupidly obvious decision."

Gundy: Hey Zac! Throw to Dez!

:eek: Holy cow, Mike Gundy is a GENIUS!

:P

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 11:02 AM
I remember a time when OU took a page from DKR when he was the coach at Texas....and that was to play the Wishbone and did very well at it.

Get used to it, more and more teams will start going to the no huddle fast pace offense like we did last season.

yeah i know, but i still hate to see it. Meyer even said after we lost to them that they were going to tinker with it this year. I think iowa state is going to give it a go as well. To be honest it also feels a little insulting, like these teams are looking at our personnel and saying "Oh, we got us some athletes too!" Now if florida run their offense at a quick pace, it'll be intriguing, because of the sheer number of speed demons on that team.:D

NormanPride
8/11/2009, 11:23 AM
Of course I'm agreeing with you, dear... I was using Crabbie as a comparison, as in, "Don't give kudos to a coach for making the stupidly obvious decision."

Exactly!

So in conclusion: Greg Davis telling Colt "they's don't have no middle linebacka no more! throw to shippy!" was not a stroke of genius, but merely the obvious direction of the offense. That being true, Greg Davis is still an idiot.

Dan Thompson
8/11/2009, 11:39 AM
Great! More short crossing passes over the middle to Shipley.

stoopified
8/11/2009, 11:42 AM
Air Force wisbone wasn't the Sooner wishbone,Orange Cow fastbreak spread won't mtch the Sooners either.

TXBOOMER
8/11/2009, 11:51 AM
OUr D will be every bit as fast and more experienced than the Florida D we faced in the NC game last year. I don't give a fock what kind of offense they run. If we get a fairly officiated game we will win.

Boomer38Sooner
8/11/2009, 11:59 AM
COPY CATS!!!!

swardboy
8/11/2009, 12:32 PM
What can you expect from a university that got an OU guy for head coach...

OUAlumni1990
8/11/2009, 12:46 PM
Its hard to ignore that run from Shipley. Everytime I think of that game, that seems to be were the momentum really shifted. I think as long as our special teams improve kickoff coverage we'll have it.

BoulderSooner79
8/11/2009, 12:52 PM
I think a problem for the horns trying hurry-up is that McCoy runs and scrambles so much. If that continues, he'll have less time to catch his breath between plays and that means less accurate passes eventually. They may be trying to cut down on his running.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/11/2009, 01:06 PM
LUDICROUS SPEED!! GO!!

Light Speed too slow?

:D

Statalyzer
8/11/2009, 01:55 PM
I think a problem for the horns trying hurry-up is that McCoy runs and scrambles so much. If that continues, he'll have less time to catch his breath between plays and that means less accurate passes eventually. They may be trying to cut down on his running.

But that, and not the lack of a no-huddle as the link in the OP describes, was what hurt us against Ohio State. Colt running 3 or 4 called runs a game will not tire him down and make him a worse passer. But it keep him as a running threat the D must account for on almost all other plays.

GD took Colt out of the run game for the Fiesta Bowl and consequently our 1-dimensional set of basic dives, stretches and slants was very easy to stop. On our first drive of the second half our run game still wasn't doing all that well and we needed a fake punt to keep the drive going. Once Colt ran 15 yards for a TD on a QB draw (his only called run of the day), our rushing game opened up more.

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 01:59 PM
ZERO chance yall go to the national title game, if Colt is once again yalls leading rusher

SoonerDood
8/11/2009, 02:06 PM

C'mon! OSU has been running the "Jump ball to <Star Receiver> Offense" for the better part of a decade now!

TXBOOMER
8/11/2009, 07:35 PM
Its hard to ignore that run from Shipley. Everytime I think of that game, that seems to be were the momentum really shifted. I think as long as our special teams improve kickoff coverage we'll have it.

That did suck but Ryan Reynolds going down put the final nails in our coffin.

Jacie
8/11/2009, 08:29 PM

Just because they try it is no guarantee of success. Good teams will play good football (unless the coach is incompetent) no matter what offense they employ.

Following the 1971 season when OUr version of the wishbone set NCAA rushing offense records (at least one of which still stands today I think, inspite of everything the nebbish could do to break all of them) it seemed that half the teams in college football tried to run it. Some did it better than others, (a&m is one example, bama another) but not all of them and it goes back to personnel. If a team didn't have a stable of backs, a very mobile quarterback, a good O-line, blocking tight ends, and at least one deep threat, forget it. After a few seasons it became apparent that the wishbone offense per se was not a panacea for teams that didn't have good athletes to begin with.

In other words, things were status quo on the gridiron.

The veer as run by Houston a few years later was another such offense, though fewer teams even tried to run that one and notice today how no one is trying to do what Mike Leach has developed to the extreme in Lubbock.

bluedogok
8/11/2009, 09:15 PM
C'mon! OSU has been running the "Jump ball to <Star Receiver> Offense" for the better part of a decade now!
I can remember [hairGel] throwing jump balls to Hart Lee Dykes all the time 20+ years ago. That has been his offense for a long, long time.

beer4me
8/12/2009, 06:08 AM
COPY CATS!!!!

That's what I was gonna say:D