PDA

View Full Version : Jaz Reynolds, Kenney ahead of Owens, Miller

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 07:43 AM
according to jake trotter's practice report. here's the report...

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2009/08/11/practice-report-8-10-09/

Practice report (8-10-09)
Posted by Jake Trotter on August 11, 2009 at 1:24 am A lot of good tidbits came from Monday’s practice, the first in full pads this preseason.

The biggest story line was tight end Brody Eldridge being forced to play first-team center with starter Ben Habern and top reserve Brian Lepak both battling injuries. Eldridge is the team’s emergency center, though Habern should be back in practice later this week. Lepak is out for the next 1-2 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

The other most interesting nugget was offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson basically saying that Cameron Kenney and freshman Jaz Reynolds would be ahead of sophomores Jameel Owens and Dejuan Miller if he had to fill out the depth chart at wide receiver today. Kenney is not too shocking, but Reynolds has been a pleasant surprise. Reynolds apparently has blazing speed, which has the Sooner coaches salivating. He could carve out a decent role for himself this season. Owens and Miller, meanwhile, were supposed to have breakout seasons this year. That won’t happen if they don’t make it onto the field. Remember, the Sooners also have Mossis Madu, Ryan Broyles, Brandon Caleb and Adron Tennell at receiver as well, not to mention running back DeMarco Murray and tight end Jermaine Gresham, who will be flexed out or placed in the slot often.

Other notes:
* As customary with all football teams the first day of pads, the Sooners ran the “Oklahoma Drill.” Among the players who impressed Bob Stoops were Auston English, Jeremy Beal, Trent Williams, Gerald McCoy and backup right tackle Jarvis Jones.

Said Stoops, “The Oklahoma Drill was wild. Guys were getting after it, which you like. It carried right into our inside drill where we did a lot of short yardage. It was really physical.”

Oklahoma Drill

* Stoops really praised Demontre Hurst, which has got to kill OSU fans. Hurst, remember, was committed to OSU for a long time, but switched his verbal late to OU before signing with the Sooners. Stoops said Hurst is “as good a young guy as we’ve ever brought in here.”

* Off. coordinator Kevin Wilson admitted the o-line “struggled” Monday against the Sooner def. line. Not surprising. OU’s d-line will make a lot of teams struggle.
* Safety Kevin Brent is out with a shoulder injury. He was, however, doing fairly well before getting hurt, and should be back on the field before too long, Stoops said.

-JT

thatmediadude
8/11/2009, 07:50 AM
Wow.. I think we are in great shape if this is true about the WR's.

swardboy
8/11/2009, 07:58 AM
Me likee....the competition must be ferocious. I can almost say I'm glad DM is out for a couple of weeks to avoid serious injury....almost.

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 08:03 AM
When your 5th and 6th WR make the news you know you are loaded.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 08:05 AM
What a name to be called over the loud speakers....JAZ...... I can't wait to see these guys in action. They have been saying J. Owens came into camp unprepared. Can't take anything for granted these days... just can't show up and expect to start. Not at OKLAHOMA!

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 08:10 AM
What a name to be called over the loud speakers....JAZ...... I can't wait to see these guys in action. They have been saying J. Owens came into camp unprepared. Can't take anything for granted these days... just can't show up and expect to start. Not at OKLAHOMA!

I know...what was his problem? Did he sit up all summer and eat ice cream or something? Why was he not at summer workouts? You snooze you ride the bench.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 08:15 AM
I know...what was his problem? Did he sit up all summer and eat ice cream or something? Why was he not at summer workouts? You snooze you ride the bench.

His footwork isn't what they were expecting. I don't know if he lost it or just didn't gain from last year. I didn't keep up with him too much last year. But he was highly thought upon last year... he was expected to fill some shoes. Maybe they are calling him out to see how he responds. He is a big kid with speed. I'm anxious to see how he takes the heat.

NormanPride
8/11/2009, 08:24 AM
He may be one of those that needs a couple years to mature. He'd better watch out, because this year's class is fixing to be a monster at WR.

The thing I'm most happy with is that I'm hearing Jaz can block really well. Great blocking WRs is a huge key to the running game.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 08:27 AM
I need to look into this Jaz kid. I haven't read or heard too much about this kid until recently. I guess I need to get out of my shoe box more often.

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 08:31 AM
He may be one of those that needs a couple years to mature. He'd better watch out, because this year's class is fixing to be a monster at WR.

The thing I'm most happy with is that I'm hearing Jaz can block really well. Great blocking WRs is a huge key to the running game.

What's up with Dejaun?

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 08:37 AM
I don't know. His highlight films from HS were awesome. But that doesn't always carry over to college ball. He has always looked like a RB running with the receivers to me. I guess it was how he ran... head down, arms everywhere. I will say he looks better with his routes this year than last. He is a talented kid... big and fast. He is showing some hands too. But I'm not at the practices to see the full picture either.

picasso
8/11/2009, 08:39 AM
Does anyone really think Owens and Miller won't see the field? They'll at least get some reps.
Some of this stuff is just silly.

NormanPride
8/11/2009, 08:41 AM
What's up with Dejaun?

Usually with those big guys they just don't have the speed. That's why Quentin Chaney and Eric Huggins weren't as big as they could have been. I've heard Miller makes highlight reel type catches, but he may not do the little things as well. It's all just speculation, though, since we haven't seen him play yet.

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 08:45 AM
Does anyone really think Owens and Miller won't see the field? They'll at least get some reps.
Some of this stuff is just silly.

They saw the field last year man, but not anything news worthy. I hope they see the field, I want these guys to succeed, because that only makes us better as team. Madu from the videos I have seen appears to struggle more then anyone, but like some say I am not at practice.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 08:46 AM
They will both get to see the field, thats a given. It will be up to them to perform. Some play better in games. Are they one of those players? We will see. What do you guys think of Rashad Hutchins? He is small but appears to move and catch well. Kinda reminds me of Broyles... to a lesser degree of coarse.

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 08:48 AM
Usually with those big guys they just don't have the speed. That's why Quentin Chaney and Eric Huggins weren't as big as they could have been. I've heard Miller makes highlight reel type catches, but he may not do the little things as well. It's all just speculation, though, since we haven't seen him play yet.

Chaney eventually produced, and I think Miller and Owens will as well. Think about it, Broyles, Kenney, Madu, Miller, Owens, and Reynolds will all be back next year. Add that to what we may have coming in, and my goodness we are set up for awhile.

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 08:50 AM
They will both get to see the field, thats a given. It will be up to them to perform. Some play better in games. Are they one of those players? We will see. What do you guys think of Rashad Hutchins? He is small but appears to move and catch well. Kinda reminds me of Broyles... to a lesser degree of coarse.

I like that guy, he always hustles and always seems to make the catch.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 08:50 AM
Chaney eventually produced, and I think Miller and Owens will as well. Think about it, Broyles, Kenney, Madu, Miller, Owens, and Reynolds will all be back next year. Add that to what we may have coming in, and my goodness we are set up for awhile.

I agree! Hopefully we have someone to throw a quality ball to them.

picasso
8/11/2009, 08:56 AM
They saw the field last year man, but not anything news worthy. I hope they see the field, I want these guys to succeed, because that only makes us better as team. Madu from the videos I have seen appears to struggle more then anyone, but like some say I am not at practice.

yes, I know this. That's my point. :)

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 09:00 AM
I agree! Hopefully we have someone to throw a quality ball to them.

As long as Heupel is around we don't have to worry about a QB. Between Blake Bell, Drew Allen, Landry Jones, I am certain we will get our next heisman type guy.

badger
8/11/2009, 09:37 AM
Poor OU... so stocked at receiver that we'll have to start having Sam throw two balls at once.

Then, the debate will be who gets to catch the left-handed ball or the right-handed ball.

Joking aside, Jaz is a very cool name. If I have any say in who gets PT at receiver, I would definitely vote for the cool-named guy!

(and of course, this is why I stay as far away from coaching football as possible)

boomersooner28
8/11/2009, 09:49 AM
Demontre Hurst. Someone fill me in. Name isn't ringing any bells. Hometown? Position? Class? Any other info? I am WAYYY too lazy to look it up!

gaylordfan1
8/11/2009, 09:54 AM
Demontre Hurst. Someone fill me in. Name isn't ringing any bells. Hometown? Position? Class? Any other info? I am WAYYY too lazy to look it up!

DB, 4 star from Lancaster, Tx, true freshman. Stoops really likes this guy. Prob will see a lot of special team action. If he does well may see some snaps on D.

NormanPride
8/11/2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah, he might work his way to the dime back if he keeps kicking *** in practice.

boomersooner28
8/11/2009, 09:59 AM
thanks gaylord, but I lied...went to recruiting forum and found him. Big time schools were after him. He is technically as good as it gets apparently.

goingoneight
8/11/2009, 10:14 AM
he'll be the next guy that after OU throttles OSU, it will be "cuz them goonrz cheetid to get herst!!!11! if we had him we woulda won" :stunned:
Such examples include:
Curtis Lofton
Ryan Broyles
Reggie Smith
XLK... wait... what?

stoopified
8/11/2009, 10:28 AM
As long as Heupel is around we don't have to worry about a QB. Between Blake Bell, Drew Allen, Landry Jones, I am certain we will get our next heisman type guy.That is what I'm thinking.Aside from Bomar we have NOT had mediocre QB play since Stoops arrived.

TMcGee86
8/11/2009, 10:58 AM
Remember, the Sooners also have Mossis Madu, Ryan Broyles, Brandon Caleb and Adron Tennell at receiver as well, not to mention running back DeMarco Murray and tight end Jermaine Gresham

Well, when you put it that way, I can't believe I ever worried about the position at all going into this season.

And hopefully after going against the DL all camp, games will seem like an enjoyable break to the OL.

SoonerShay
8/11/2009, 12:02 PM
Demontre Hurst's mother went to Del City High and apparently was a hell of a multi-sport athlete. I guess those genes rubbed off.

Adron Tennell and Ryan Broyles have been tearing it up at receiver!
Wilson seems to really like Jaz Reynolds, says he is blazing fast. Him and Cameron Kenney. He noted they make more plays in 7 on 7 drills, not in actual game settings. Since there hasn't been any yet. Compared to Dejaun Miller adn Jameel Owens. Jaz was a diamond in the rough, having something to do with being injured in high school and being overlooked because of it. He really likes the tackles we have too, Cory Brandon, Trent Williams and Jarvis Jones. Also said Tavaris Jeffries is a beast. Stephen Good is the strongest lineman on the team now, besting Ben Habern.

In the secondary, Q. and Sam Proctor are the starters and both have looked good out there. Stoops says Demontre Hurst, Kevin Brent, Marcus Trice and Gabe Lynn have all been impressive.

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 12:14 PM
Demontre Hurst's mother went to Del City High and apparently was a hell of a multi-sport athlete. I guess those genes rubbed off.

Adron Tennell and Ryan Broyles have been tearing it up at receiver!
Wilson seems to really like Jaz Reynolds, says he is blazing fast. Him and Cameron Kenney. He noted they make more plays in 7 on 7 drills, not in actual game settings. Since there hasn't been any yet. Compared to Dejaun Miller adn Jameel Owens. Jaz was a diamond in the rough, having something to do with being injured in high school and being overlooked because of it. He really likes the tackles we have too, Cory Brandon, Trent Williams and Jarvis Jones. Also said Tavaris Jeffries is a beast. Stephen Good is the strongest lineman on the team now, besting Ben Habern.

In the secondary, Q. and Sam Proctor are the starters and both have looked good out there. Stoops says Demontre Hurst, Kevin Brent, Marcus Trice and Gabe Lynn have all been impressive.

too many goodies to comment on; but i really, really like this team; and if we lose to anyone, it will be for lack of preparation and focus.

Widescreen
8/11/2009, 01:02 PM
(and of course, this is why I stay as far away from coaching football as possible)

That, and because you're a girl...

<runs away>

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 01:07 PM
good thread.

keep posting updates if you find more, adoniijahsooner.

SoonerSoph
8/11/2009, 01:18 PM
My favorite thread of the summer... keep it rolling!

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 01:18 PM
if Keeney turns out to be a stud, me going to be excited

SoonerShay
8/11/2009, 01:25 PM
Dejaun Miller at today's practice....

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/mwcshay/Dmiller.gif

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 01:26 PM
damn nice catch.... for a minute i thought that was my boy Franks guarding him.... but we all know he switched to NUMBER 1 !!!!!!!!

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 01:28 PM
WOW!!! That's our 7th string reciever? imagine him against UF last year on the JI interception.

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 01:28 PM
WOW!!! That's our 7th string reciever? imagine him against UF last year on the JI interception.

:eek:

badger
8/11/2009, 01:37 PM
Shay, if that's your video, can you post more? If not, where did you find it?

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 01:39 PM
Shay, if that's your video, can you post more? If not, where did you find it?

fer real!

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 01:41 PM
Here it is in total on soonersports.com preseason central

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-footbl/08aug/20090811_wrs_vs_dbs.wmv&school=okla&

http://www.soonersports.com/ot/2009_preseason_practice.html

SoonerShay
8/11/2009, 01:43 PM
I downloaded it off the SoonerSports page from today's practice videos and made a .gif out of it. I can youtube it though.

setem
8/11/2009, 02:05 PM
That is just a bad *** name... Jaz Reynolds!

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 02:09 PM
sounds like a Play maker

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 02:27 PM
OLine Vs DLine video

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-footbl/08aug/20090811_ol_vs_dl.wmv&school=okla&

TMcGee86
8/11/2009, 04:49 PM
Man, Trent looks like a monster. He destroyed fewls.

Conversely, Donald Stephenson, not so much.

I also noticed RJ Washington wasn't in the video. Anyone know why?

OK2U
8/11/2009, 05:36 PM
Ask the dude that's obsessed w/ him...

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 05:40 PM
That's a great question.....

ThatGuy65
8/11/2009, 07:52 PM
He's not in the video because they didn't film all of the Oklahoma drill, just some of it.

pappy
8/11/2009, 11:09 PM
de david king got a concussion at practice today and is staying the night in the hospital

TMcGee86
8/12/2009, 11:39 AM
damn, thats too bad, King looked pretty good in that video. Hopefully its minor and he will be back to full strength in no time.