PDA

View Full Version : So how's that "politics only" room coming along?

soonerhubs
8/11/2009, 06:29 AM
It'd sure be nice to have the perpetual juvenile pissing matches between the usual partisan apologists presorted. That way the SO could be a more comfy venue a bit less free of all the ornery name calling and Shatner pic posting.

Is this that CRAZY of a request?

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 06:31 AM
It's a needless request. Anyone that doesn't want to click on political threads doesn't have to...

...and if you think a politics room would keep political talk out of other threads that would be on the SO I think you're likely mistaken.

Turd_Ferguson
8/11/2009, 06:32 AM
This should be a pole.:pop:

soonerhubs
8/11/2009, 07:35 AM
It's a needless request. Anyone that doesn't want to click on political threads doesn't have to...

...and if you think a politics room would keep political talk out of other threads that would be on the SO I think you're likely mistaken.

Based on...

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 07:53 AM
Based on...

Based on peeps are going to talk politics where they want to. Political talk enters into a lot of the threads on the SO now that weren't intended to be political, and in some cases even threads on the football board end up with political talk thrown in. Just because we might make a "political room" that doesn't mean we're going to stay in it when we want to discuss politics.

Personally, "political room" or not, I'd end up talking politics on the SO. Hell, these days there's nothing else going on there anyway. Take away the politics and you might as well fold the board.

OUDoc
8/11/2009, 08:03 AM
Politics enters almost every thread on the SO and is the primary reason the SO isn't as much fun anymore.
IMO.

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 08:04 AM
Politics enters almost every thread on the SO and is the primary reason the SO isn't as much fun anymore.
IMO.

Be that as it may, do you agree with me that a "politics room" would likely be ignored anyway, and peeps would keep doing their thing in the SO?

OUDoc
8/11/2009, 08:07 AM
Be that as it may, do you agree with me that a "politics room" would likely be ignored anyway, and peeps would keep doing their thing in the SO?

Possibly. But it would be a start.

soonerhubs
8/11/2009, 08:13 AM
IMO.

I'm with you doc. I miss the humor that is far too often supplanted with sarcastic condescending mean-spirited pedantics these days, and it generally stems from the political pissing matches.

CB I respect your opinion, but it is just that: an opinion. Another board very similar to this one has a politics room that works out rather nicely. I like that board, but I like this one too. Anyways it's just a thought (not only mine btw).

soonerinabilene
8/11/2009, 08:21 AM

I think it would get a lot more traffic than zee blenda does. And it would keep interesting or funny threads from getting pushed to the bottom by all of the political threads that repeat each other.

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 08:25 AM
I think it would get a lot more traffic than zee blenda does. And it would keep interesting or funny threads from getting pushed to the bottom by all of the political threads that repeat each other.

If interesting or funny threads are getting pushed to the bottom I'd argue that they must not be too interesting or funny.

...and yeah, the blender is the biggest waste of space since Michael Moore.

Boomer Mooner
8/11/2009, 08:27 AM

Your Great Grandma's twat sees more traffic than zee blenda does.

NormanPride
8/11/2009, 08:29 AM
If interesting or funny threads are getting pushed to the bottom I'd argue that they must not be too interesting or funny.

...and yeah, the blender is the biggest waste of space since Michael Moore.

A thread about Sam winning his fourth heisman in a row would get pushed to the bottom with the resident polititards posting every 5 seconds about how the other is a devil.

soonerhubs
8/11/2009, 08:33 AM
Another thing... I don't buy into the "it even gets brought up in the Football forum" excuse because we all know that most peeps get called out when they post those things in there. Quite often threads get moved when they aren't started in the proper forum as well, so it wouldn't be much different with this... would it?

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 08:39 AM
If nothing else, if there was a politics room, I could scan through all five posts that would likely be on the SO at the end of the day. ;)

Boomer Mooner
8/11/2009, 08:47 AM
I thought for awhile that a politics room would be good, but every now and then I like to participate. It's a pain in the *** to move from room to room. I would probably vote against it.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:05 AM

Needless my hairy butt.

If we had a politics only forum and it crept into the SO that's where the mods would actually get to do what mods do and move topics to the correct forum.

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 09:08 AM
Needless my hairy butt.

If we had a politics only forum and it crept into the SO that's where the mods would actually get to do what mods do and move topics to the correct forum.

...but what about your thread on bubblegum that some of us hooligans might hijack and start talking politics in? Where do they put that?

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:11 AM

Their thing?

If their thing is politics in the SO then I'd say the mods would need to move it to the proper forum and let folks know to keep politics out of the SO.

I mean seriously, we can have a "no politics Friday" but not a Politics Forum?

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:12 AM
...but what about your thread on bubblegum that some of us hooligans might hijack and start talking politics in? Where do they put that?

Sheesh . . . does everything have to turn political?

If you hooligans' sole goal is to turn everything in the SO political then maybe we're finally seeing why this place has gone to the crapper.

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 09:12 AM
Their thing?

If their thing is politics in the SO then I'd say the mods would need to move it to the proper forum and let folks know to keep politics out of the SO.

I mean seriously, we can have a "no politics Friday" but not a Politics Forum?

No politics Friday?

How long has it been since that worked out?

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 09:13 AM
Sheesh . . . does everything have to turn political?

If you hooligans' sole goal is to turn everything in the SO political then maybe we're finally seeing why this place has gone to the crapper.

Well yeah, that and the posse.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:14 AM
No politics Friday?

How long has it been since that worked out?

It worked out really well when it was enforced . . . just ask Dean.

Boomer Mooner
8/11/2009, 09:14 AM
How about combining politics with the blender and make everyone post in zee' blende-a speek.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:15 AM
Well yeah, that and the posse.

I never brought up the posse . . .

Sooner_Bob
How about combining politics with the blender and make everyone post in zee' blende-a speek.

I'm actually surprised that something like that hasn't been done yet.

Curly Bill
...and I'm sure the board was a much happier place when there was a "no politics Friday".

JohnnyMack
8/11/2009, 09:18 AM
Politics did not do the SO in. Lack of direction and even handed moderating, now that may have had something to do with it. That and teh Facebook. Any insinuation that "The Posse" had anything to do with the demise of the South Oval is laughable.

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 09:19 AM
Politics did not do the SO in. Lack of direction and even handed moderating, now that may have had something to do with it. That and teh Facebook. Any insinuation that "The Posse" had anything to do with the demise of the South Oval is laughable.

Now dang it! I insist that politics and the posse did in the SO! ;)

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:20 AM
...and I'm sure the board was a much happier place when there was a "no politics Friday".

If you have to ask . . .

JohnnyMack
8/11/2009, 09:22 AM
Now dang it! I insist that politics and the posse did in the SO! ;)

I didn't say that the posse wasn't a silly distraction brought about by drama queens and people falling all over themselves for attention, I just said it didn't do in the SO.

Curly Bill
If this board was a much happier place without so much politics imagine how happy you could make yourself by not clicking on those pesky political threads.

NormanPride
the hostility flowing over from the politics threads is, imo, what caused a lot of the "uneven moderation" squabbles.

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 09:24 AM
I didn't say that the posse wasn't a silly distraction brought about by drama queens and people falling all over themselves for attention, I just said it didn't do in the SO.

:O :rolleyes:

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:24 AM
Politics did not do the SO in.

Funny . . . why then is that one of the major arguments for the death of the SO? I know multiple things are to blame, but to say that politics did not do the SO in is what is laughable.

Lack of direction and even handed moderating, now that may have had something to do with it.

I can agree with this.

That and teh Facebook. Any insinuation that "The Posse" had anything to do with the demise of the South Oval is laughable.

I still don't get the "posse" or have a clue what their schtick is so I really could care less what they do or how they act.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:26 AM
If this board was a much happier place without so much politics imagine how happy you could make yourself by not clicking on those pesky political threads.

Hang on there pardner . . . go back through all of them from the last few months and let me know how many I've contributed to or complained about before you go that route.

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 09:28 AM
Hang on there pardner . . . go back through all of them from the last few months and let me know how many I've contributed to or complained about before you go that route.

Then you must be happy, so what brings you here to argue for a politics only room?

I mean if you can navigate around those pesky political threads I'd think others could do the same.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:29 AM
a silly distraction brought about by drama queens and people falling all over themselves for attention

Dude. That describes the entire sf.com user base. ;)

Collier11
8/11/2009, 09:29 AM
IMO.

Agreed

Agreed

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:31 AM
Then you must be happy, so what brings you here to argue for a politics only room?

I mean if you can navigate around those pesky political threads I'd think others could do the same.

Simple. I've been arguing for a Politics only forum longer than you've been Curly Bill . . . any chance I get to bring that back to the table I'm going to take it.

If they can be avoided in the SO, why not make it easier by you know, putting them all in one spot?

What brings you here to argue against it?

Collier11
8/11/2009, 09:31 AM
Needless my hairy butt.

and the mods have the time or want to to do that?

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 09:34 AM
Simple. I've been arguing for a Politics only forum longer than you've been Curly Bill . . . any chance I get to bring that back to the table I'm going to take it.

If they can be avoided in the SO, why not make it easier by you know, putting them all in one spot?

What brings you here to argue against it?

I'm mostly playing the devil's advocate, I don't really have strong feeling about it. I just don't think a politics free SO would be the nirvana you guys seem to think.

Collier11
8/11/2009, 09:35 AM
I def dont think it is politics that ruined the SO as some say, I think it is the 5 or 6 extreme posters on each side that feel the need to make it a b*tch fest in every thread. Because of this, when we do have good political threads or sensitive subject threads, they get closed for no reason

Petro-Sooner
8/11/2009, 09:50 AM
IMO.

Agreed!

CrimsonJim
8/11/2009, 09:53 AM
Quick! Somebody erect a pole!!!

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:54 AM
and the mods have the time or want to to do that?

Then why do we have them?

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 09:55 AM
I'm mostly playing the devil's advocate, I don't really have strong feeling about it. I just don't think a politics free SO would be the nirvana you guys seem to think.

I think many folks remember a SO that was . . . in a land far, far away.

Collier11
8/11/2009, 10:03 AM
Then why do we have them?

Im just saying, I know that the mods we currently have arent even online much do to real life obligations...thats something that I couldnt answer though, maybe we need new mods who have more time?

soonervegas
8/11/2009, 10:15 AM
OBAMA is the ANTI-CHRIST!!!!!

yermom
8/11/2009, 10:16 AM
the problem is as stated. non-political threads become political threads for no reason.

just because LAS is a dirty lib, or Tuba's had a lobotomy where politics is concerned doesn't mean that people that don't like their opinions in that arena should **** on every other thread they post in or a music thread needs to turn into an Obama bitchathon.

that seems like it would be a lot harder to moderate than just keeping a separate forum for politics, perhaps with slightly different rules

then maybe the SO could go back to the good old days of jackassery and annoying 04

Half a Hundred
8/11/2009, 10:29 AM
the problem is as stated. non-political threads become political threads for no reason.

just because LAS is a dirty lib, or Tuba's had a lobotomy where politics is concerned doesn't mean that people that don't like their opinions in that arena should **** on every other thread they post in or a music thread needs to turn into an Obama bitchathon.

that seems like it would be a lot harder to moderate than just keeping a separate forum for politics, perhaps with slightly different rules

then maybe the SO could go back to the good old days of jackassery and annoying 04

Heh.

(the good old days right there)

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 10:31 AM
Im just saying, I know that the mods we currently have arent even online much do to real life obligations...thats something that I couldnt answer though, maybe we need new mods who have more time?

I know what you're saying . . . and I agree. But who's left on the "list" that would even be considered for mod-hood.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 10:31 AM

Amen . . .

Collier11
8/11/2009, 10:43 AM
I know what you're saying . . . and I agree. But who's left on the "list" that would even be considered for mod-hood.

well I think there are two diff lists IMHO...

1) Those who would be considered
2) Those who would actually do a good and fair job

StoopTroup
8/11/2009, 11:18 AM
I heard Gundy is a Republican.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 11:30 AM
I heard Gundy is a Republican.

A short Republican with hair that Jimmy Johnson envies . . .

Veritas
8/11/2009, 11:40 AM
The reason I got mod-ified four or five years ago or whatever is because I told the HMFIC that I felt there needed to be a politics only section and that I'd volunteer to do the thankless job of moderating it.

They agreed with many of you that a separate board wouldn't work, but appointed me as a mod with the sanction of policing political threads.

That worked five years ago. Back then, maybe one of ten threads was political, although the threads were the same:
1) Partisan statement.
2) Partisan response.
3) LAS tosses the good 'ol snark bait on the waters.
4) Partisans go pirahna on bait.
5) LAS post reports a personal attack.
6) Dean yells at everybody.
7) Thread gets locked.
8) I'd come in after the fact, exercise my personal vendettas and political bias, bans a couple of posters unfairly, then laugh evilly and continue building the Win Ray that will make the Huskers suck less.

Five years later NINE of ten threads are political. Something has ****ing happened that has changed this country to a permanent state of election, and it's reflected on the SO. Personally, I don't have the time or energy to be as objective anymore, so I stay away from moderating and most of the time from the board as well, because politics wear me out, and that's all this thing is anymore.

It's time for a political forum so that the SO can go back to what it was five years ago, a place for people to **** away their employers time and make dick and fart jokes.

Scott D
8/11/2009, 11:43 AM
this thread amuses and saddens me all at once.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 11:44 AM
Personally, I don't have the time or energy to be as objective anymore, so I stay away from moderating and most of the time from the board as well, because politics wear me out, and that's all this thing is anymore.

Then why not give up the mod-hood?

It's time for a political forum so that the SO can go back to what it was five years ago, a place for people to **** away their employers time and make dick and fart jokes.

Eggsactly . . .

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 11:45 AM
this thread amuses and saddens me all at once.

But you're easy . . .

OU4LIFE
8/11/2009, 11:47 AM

and anyone that doesn't want to read a golf thread doesn't have to click on it, but that sure as hell didn't stop them form forcing THOSE off the SO, did it?

I was under the impression that the SO was for anything that was fair game. I guess I was wrong.

Veritas
8/11/2009, 11:48 AM
Then why not give up the mod-hood?
Because I like to read everybody else's peems. Kidding, I can't really do that.

I still log in to kill trolls and spammers. And I usually try to be more active during the Presidential elections, although this last one pretty much exhausted my reservoir of patience. I thought Bush/Kerry got silly, this one reached a whole new low.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 11:49 AM
and anyone that doesn't want to read a golf thread doesn't have to click on it, but that sure as hell didn't stop them form forcing THOSE off the SO, did it?

I was under the impression that the SO was for anything that was fair game. I guess I was wrong.

There you go again turning every political south oval thread into a golf thread.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 11:52 AM
Because I like to read everybody else's peems. Kidding, I can't really do that.

I still log in to kill trolls and spammers. And I usually try to be more active during the Presidential elections, although this last one pretty much exhausted my reservoir of patience. I thought Bush/Kerry got silly, this one reached a whole new low.

Understandable . . . I guess I just think someone who is moderating a board would need to be on here more (which is what makes it soooo much fun).

Veritas
8/11/2009, 11:55 AM
Understandable . . . I guess I just think someone who is moderating a board would need to be on here more (which is what makes it soooo much fun).
Oh, you're right. That's why I don't do much moderation of threads or active posters because I don't have the context to make educated decisions unless I've been active for a few weeks.

JohnnyMack
8/11/2009, 11:57 AM
Tom Osborne is a fag.

<runs away>

Scott D
8/11/2009, 11:58 AM
I know the best way to cut down the vitriol and political threads.

Just make everyone moderators, after all once you start being a mod you pretty much quit posting.

Half a Hundred
8/11/2009, 12:10 PM
Five years later NINE of ten threads are political. Something has ****ing happened that has changed this country to a permanent state of election, and it's reflected on the SO.

Well, you know, we DID elect a Kenyan president ;)

Collier11
8/11/2009, 12:13 PM
wait, I thought he was white???

KC//CRIMSON
8/11/2009, 12:20 PM

Imagine how happy you would be if you didn't have to scroll through a hundred political threads to get to a non one.

KC//CRIMSON
8/11/2009, 12:29 PM

Exactly.

God, I never thought in a million years I would say this, but O'Connell's over at OUInsider has passed the South Oval. They got it right with their political threads.

Veritas
8/11/2009, 12:46 PM
Tom Osborne is a fag.

<runs away>
At least you spelled it right.

Collier11
8/11/2009, 12:46 PM
I just think too many of you take the time to go into the threads that you are bitching about just to bitch about them, if you dont like them so much then why even open them

OUDoc
8/11/2009, 12:47 PM
At least you spelled it right.

He spells fag all the time. :)

OUDoc
8/11/2009, 12:49 PM
I just think too many of you take the time to go into the threads that you are bitching about just to bitch about them, if you dont like them so much then why even open them

The politics get dragged into threads that aren't obvious. I do avoid political threads but it spills over. Sometimes it's easier to avoid the forum.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/11/2009, 12:51 PM
The politics get dragged into threads that aren't obvious. I do avoid political threads but it spills over. Sometimes it's easier to avoid the forum.

This

Collier11
8/11/2009, 12:53 PM

This

I agree with you guys on this completely, I try to avoid the majority of political threads as well. Im talking about those who whine and cry about how bad the SO is cus of all the political threads but they are spending half their time in those threads whining and crying

soonerhubs
8/11/2009, 12:53 PM
Just to be clear, we're talking about adding a room in Soonerfans right? ...not bailing out GM here?

Collier11
8/11/2009, 12:54 PM
wrong

KC//CRIMSON
8/11/2009, 12:57 PM
Just to be clear, we're talking about adding a room in Soonerfans right? ...not bailing out GM here?

Yeah, we're talking about getting a separate forum.

Rule #1 - The first attention whore who starts a political thread in the new South Oval gets banned.

Next?

Rhino
8/11/2009, 01:02 PM
There is exactly one person that has the authority to create a Politics forum. You guys should contact him if you want anything done, in that regard.

Some reasons why a lot of mods aren't around anymore:

• Free time diminished due to life, family and work situations.

• We were told awhile back not to look for things to moderate. Most everyone hates the political crapfest here, so rarely do any of us enter those threads. If someone reports something, then we look at them.

• About half of the things that get reported are not problems, and really - those reporters should be carded more often for erroneously reporting posts. It's annoying. I'm looking at three of you in particular. I'm not even going to get started on the posters that think the 'report button' is the 'give reputation' button.

• Tired of people acting like 12-year-old brats whenever we card them and/or don't card someone. The definition of 'whinny cry babbies'. (About four of you will get that reference.)

Collier11
8/11/2009, 01:06 PM
THIS ^

Harry Beanbag
8/11/2009, 01:07 PM
http://www.thewiplist.com/photos/P/10064544_yb.jpg It's like deja vu all over again in here.

Partial Qualifier
8/11/2009, 01:07 PM
I think the political threads coincided with everyone suddenly noticing the S.O. quickly went from cool to absolute suckage. The steps from cool to suckage went something like this:

- Funny/witty posters stopped posting
- Wannabe funny/witty posters filled the gap
- Strange decisions were made regarding the number of moderators & their responsibilities
- Everybody had a different set of rules (mods, people mods liked, people mods didn't like)
- Sponsorship created huge issues amongst those affected by the disparate sets of rules listed above

My Opinion Matters
8/11/2009, 01:16 PM
What ruined the SO? Quality posters stopped contributing and they were replaced by really, really, terrible posters.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/11/2009, 01:18 PM
do away with the swedish chef thing and the sports book since its dead, and put a politics forum in.....

Collier11
8/11/2009, 01:20 PM
What ruined the SO? Quality posters stopped contributing and they were replaced by really, really, terrible posters.

Some of this, some of it is the fact that people take so much time griping about it in the SO as opposed to posting thoughtful and provacative conversation

Sooner04
8/11/2009, 01:22 PM
Are you saying you want me to be MORE annoying or do you want people annoying me more? Because the substantial volumes of negging I've received indicate that I'm annoying plenty of people. Likewise, plenty of people on here annoy me to no end.

So, which is it? :)

And a Politics Only forum would be fine. As a matter of fact, it's LONG overdue. They do it over at Slick's and there isn't a problem. Just dump everything in there and people will adjust. We're not all kids around here. Some of us, just not all.

JohnnyMack
8/11/2009, 01:23 PM
The fact is the powers that be do not and have not spent much time at all in working at improving this site for quite a while now. For Christ's sake we still have Photoshop Tennis Tournament 2006 thread hanging out there, the Bush and Kerry smilies are still up, never deleted or replaced with BHO / McCain ones for the 08 election. I know these are small, borderline irrelevant things on the surface but really they remind me of the old "Broken Windows Theory".

OU4LIFE
8/11/2009, 01:28 PM
I think the political threads coincided with everyone suddenly noticing the S.O. quickly went from cool to absolute suckage. The steps from cool to suckage went something like this:

- Funny/witty posters stopped posting
- Wannabe funny/witty posters filled the gap
- Strange decisions were made regarding the number of moderators & their responsibilities
- Everybody had a different set of rules (mods, people mods liked, people mods didn't like)
- Sponsorship created huge issues amongst those affected by the disparate sets of rules listed above

I'm not in love with your tone...

olevetonahill
8/11/2009, 01:28 PM
There is exactly one person that has the authority to create a Politics forum. You guys should contact him if you want anything done, in that regard.

Some reasons why a lot of mods aren't around anymore:

• Free time diminished due to life, family and work situations.

• We were told awhile back not to look for things to moderate. Most everyone hates the political crapfest here, so rarely do any of us enter those threads. If someone reports something, then we look at them.

• About half of the things that get reported are not problems, and really - those reporters should be carded more often for erroneously reporting posts. It's annoying. I'm looking at three of you in particular. I'm not even going to get started on the posters that think the 'report button' is the 'give reputation' button.

• Tired of people acting like 12-year-old brats whenever we card them and/or don't card someone. The definition of 'whinny cry babbies'. (About four of you will get that reference.)

The Time Family deal I mentioned a month or so ago. peoples Lives change, And I agree with whole heartedly.

I will admit I didnt handle the last carding very well and and got whapped again :O
Phil and I peemed each other and its all good now :D
( I think);)

OU4LIFE
8/11/2009, 01:29 PM
Some of this, some of it is the fact that people take so much time griping about it in the SO as opposed to posting thoughtful and provacative conversation

What?

Dude, the old SO was NEVER about thoughtful and provocative conversation.

evar.

CrimsonJim
8/11/2009, 01:32 PM
BEER

olevetonahill
8/11/2009, 01:32 PM
What?

Dude, the old SO was NEVER about thoughtful and provocative conversation.

evar.

Yup
Im not as "Old School" as some But we used to be able to push some posters to the point of "Meltdown". then sit back and watch :pop:
Hell I think I got several 1 day time outs for my part of that.:D

Sooner04
8/11/2009, 01:34 PM
The old SO was a place where you could leave for class and by the time you got back an hour later a thread called "Hey, TopDawg" gained 500 replies.

The old SO was a place where fights broke out at tailgates. Literally!

The old SO was a place where Norm could throw fits over Best Buy and Wal-Mart and all you had to do was sit back and watch.

The old SO was a place where charismatic posters like sOOneron could hook up with the finest belles the SEC had to offer. At least that's what he'd like for you to think. ;) ;) ;)

The old SO was a place where you could discuss golf's major championships.

The old SO was a place where FPOMF, BFCFGOF and 'Carck!' entered into the region's stream of consciousness.

The old SO was a place where people could meet, get to know each other and, sometimes, GET MARRIED!

Those days are done.

Partial Qualifier
8/11/2009, 01:35 PM

Some of the people griping about the S.O. remember the good ol' days when attempts to make thoughtful & provocative convo were made a mockery of, and then laughed out of the gym.

But it's different now, and it will never be what it was. I'm over it.

Harry Beanbag
8/11/2009, 01:36 PM
Those of you pining for the old SO and hoping for its triumphant return will forever be disappointed. The board has and continues to evolve regardless of what anybody wants or desires.

In fact, it might be so out of control now that it may be impossible to gain control of again. It would take some firm and even handed moderation with a plan and foresight to get anywhere. But since the moderators don't appear willing to do that I'm not sure why threads like this keep popping up. If nobody at the top cares, then wtf should anybody else?

Mjcpr
8/11/2009, 01:38 PM
Those of you pining for the old SO and hoping for its triumphant return will forever be disappointed. The board has and continues to evolve regardless of what anybody wants or desires.

In fact, it might be so out of control now that it may be impossible to gain control of again. It would take some firm and even handed moderation with a plan and foresight to get anywhere. But since the moderators don't appear willing to do that I'm not sure why threads like this keep popping up. If nobody at the top cares, then wtf should anybody else?

You're still going to be a sponsor though, right?

Partial Qualifier
8/11/2009, 01:38 PM
I'm not in love with your tone...

How about this: God Bless the handful of you witty enough to carry the torch. OU4LIFE comes to mind. There may be others.

...better ??

Harry Beanbag
8/11/2009, 01:39 PM
You're still going to be a sponsor though, right?

I've been keeping my ten ****ing dollars for awhile now. :)

My Opinion Matters
8/11/2009, 01:39 PM

If you call what has happened around here evolution then clearly Darwin was wrong about everything.

soonerinabilene
8/11/2009, 01:43 PM
Yup
Im not as "Old School" as some But we used to be able to push some posters to the point of "Meltdown". then sit back and watch :pop:
Hell I think I got several 1 day time outs for my part of that.:D

SAS vs. Rus was always epic.

olevetonahill
8/11/2009, 01:45 PM
SAS vs. Rus was always epic.

Hell i the Mods even got in the swing dint they ?
Remember Stans meltdown ?:eek:

Collier11
8/11/2009, 01:50 PM
Ok well that sh*t still happens to this day, so either people just b*tch more now or they dont see the hipocrocy of their thought process. The political side of this I agree with but we are also living in a day and age where everyone thinks they know about politics and wants to b*tch about them so maybe a seperate forum is needed

Rhino
8/11/2009, 01:50 PM
In fact, it might be so out of control now that it may be impossible to gain control of again. It would take some firm and even handed moderation with a plan and foresight to get anywhere. But since the moderators don't appear willing to do that I'm not sure why threads like this keep popping up. If nobody at the top cares, then wtf should anybody else? I think some of you are under the perception that moderators have a whole lot more power than they do. (ie. I'm a moderator, but I can only mod certain forums.)

If'n Phil ain't want it done, it ain't gettin' done.

Mjcpr
8/11/2009, 01:51 PM

In a week or two when an Admin reads this, you will have hell to pay.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 01:53 PM
I know the best way to cut down the vitriol and political threads.

Just make everyone moderators, after all once you start being a mod you pretty much quit posting.

Ha!!

KC//CRIMSON
8/11/2009, 01:54 PM
The old SO was a place where you could leave for class and by the time you got back an hour later a thread called "Hey, TopDawg" gained 500 replies.

The old SO was a place where fights broke out at tailgates. Literally!

The old SO was a place where Norm could throw fits over Best Buy and Wal-Mart and all you had to do was sit back and watch.

The old SO was a place where charismatic posters like sOOneron could hook up with the finest belles the SEC had to offer. At least that's what he'd like for you to think. ;) ;) ;)

The old SO was a place where you could discuss golf's major championships.

The old SO was a place where FPOMF, BFCFGOF and 'Carck!' entered into the region's stream of consciousness.

The old SO was a place where people could meet, get to know each other and, sometimes, GET MARRIED!

Those days are done.

The old SO was a place where you could vent about your exes.

The old SO was a place where Norm's friends reminded you of something.

The old SO was a place where a white man could act like a black man and nobody knew the difference.

Good times indeed my friend, good times.

*sniff*

Harry Beanbag
8/11/2009, 01:54 PM
I think some of you are under the perception than moderators have a whole lot more power than they do. (ie. I'm a moderator, but I can only mod certain forums.)

If'n Phil ain't want it done, it ain't gettin' done.

Wouldn't Phil be the epitome of "at the top"? The structure of how the mods are organized is irrelevant to what I said, unless you are saying it has contributed to the problems. Lack of motivation, fairness, and good intentions also have to be thrown in there as well, IMO.

Not that I'm telling him how to run his board, it's his and he can do or not do whatever he wants with it. People also forget about that.

Harry Beanbag
8/11/2009, 01:56 PM
The old SO was a place where a white man could act like a black man and nobody knew the difference.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/08/14/alg_robertdowneyjr.jpg

SoonerWill?

OU4LIFE
8/11/2009, 01:59 PM
How about this: God Bless the handful of you witty enough to carry the torch. OU4LIFE comes to mind. There may be others.

...better ??

the tone was better, the content questionable at best.

I give it a 4 on a scale of A to Z

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 02:08 PM

So years of asking for one and he some how has no clue?

And he actually created ze blenda forum?

Right.

C&CDean
8/11/2009, 02:21 PM
You know what cracks me up? People sitting here blaming others for the downward spiral of the SO.

Look in the ****ing mirror. Who are the dildoes and butt plugs who keep ****ing things up around here? That's right, you. Some of you longing for the SAS vs. Rus bitch fights were also the ones who constantly reported their posts or begged for their banning. Those of you who continuously whine about a lack of moderation are the same ones who whined about having too many moderators ****ing with every thread. Those of you who have evolved into one-a-week drive-by posters who's only goal in life is to stir up crap and then go to some other board and brag about how you really jacked with SF.com are pathetic.

I will not argue that there has been a lot of apathy/non-involvement on the part of the board owner. I can't speak for him, but I'm thinking he figures if we've got 500 mods he doesn't need to be personally involved. He has pretty much stepped away from the board and lets it go where it goes. I ain't gonna agree or disagree with this approach, I'm just calling em' like I sees em'.

Then there's the posse. Some of you think the posse thingy is something groovy and new. It ain't. It's old and tired. We've had "posses" around this place forever. Hell, we had the Dallas crew, the chimichanga *** rapers, the golfing fools, the WAYLT geeks, and a hundred other cliques that annoyed other posters who weren't part of the whole deal.

**** man, the only constants around this place have been me and jaux and Rhino. Me? I don't give a ****. Never have and never will. That's why I don't mind the political threads, the stupid music threads, or threads about what kind of rubbers taste the best. Rhino? He cares, but not enough to get all bent outta shape over things. Jaux? He's always been the most caring, giving, even-handed/headed poster/mod on the board.

Anyhow, quit whining about how it used to be. Quit bitching about why it's the way it is. If you want the old SO back, take it back. One ****ing post at a time. I couldn't care less if we have a political board or not. It ain't my call. Rather than whine about send a peem or an email or both to Phil. It's his call, and only his call. We've (mods/admins) discussed it many times before with mixed opinions. Ask Phil if you think it'll make the SO better. And start a "my farts smell like......" thread or something.

olevetonahill
8/11/2009, 02:27 PM
You know what cracks me up? People sitting here blaming others for the downward spiral of the SO.

Look in the ****ing mirror. Who are the dildoes and butt plugs who keep ****ing things up around here? That's right, you. Some of you longing for the SAS vs. Rus bitch fights were also the ones who constantly reported their posts or begged for their banning. Those of you who continuously whine about a lack of moderation are the same ones who whined about having too many moderators ****ing with every thread. Those of you who have evolved into one-a-week drive-by posters who's only goal in life is to stir up crap and then go to some other board and brag about how you really jacked with SF.com are pathetic.

I will not argue that there has been a lot of apathy/non-involvement on the part of the board owner. I can't speak for him, but I'm thinking he figures if we've got 500 mods he doesn't need to be personally involved. He has pretty much stepped away from the board and lets it go where it goes. I ain't gonna agree or disagree with this approach, I'm just calling em' like I sees em'.

Then there's the posse. Some of you think the posse thingy is something groovy and new. It ain't. It's old and tired. We've had "posses" around this place forever. Hell, we had the Dallas crew, the chimichanga *** rapers, the golfing fools, the WAYLT geeks, and a hundred other cliques that annoyed other posters who weren't part of the whole deal.

**** man, the only constants around this place have been me and jaux and Rhino. Me? I don't give a ****. Never have and never will. That's why I don't mind the political threads, the stupid music threads, or threads about what kind of rubbers taste the best. Rhino? He cares, but not enough to get all bent outta shape over things. Jaux? He's always been the most caring, giving, even-handed/headed poster/mod on the board.

Anyhow, quit whining about how it used to be. Quit bitching about why it's the way it is. If you want the old SO back, take it back. One ****ing post at a time. I couldn't care less if we have a political board or not. It ain't my call. Rather than whine about send a peem or an email or both to Phil. It's his call, and only his call. We've (mods/admins) discussed it many times before with mixed opinions. Ask Phil if you think it'll make the SO better. And start a "my farts smell like......" thread or something.

Done

Collier11
8/11/2009, 02:33 PM

Talk about raining on a bunch of titty babies parade!

JohnnyMack
8/11/2009, 02:33 PM

This is the most important part as far as I'm concerned. This place desperately needs a new landlord. I'm not blaming the HMFIC as I know our lives and what we focus on are constantly shifting, but a site like this needs more active shepherds than it's had.

olevetonahill
8/11/2009, 02:44 PM
This is the most important part as far as I'm concerned. This place desperately needs a new landlord. I'm not blaming the HMFIC as I know our lives and what we focus on are constantly shifting, but a site like this needs more active shepherds than it's had.

Dont need No stinkin aggies fer Mods ya perv .
http://www.bloggersbase.com/images/uploaded/original/6e652e9763096b41dfc59292b1fc5ca455c94256.jpeg

stoops the eternal pimp
8/11/2009, 02:55 PM
the chimichanga *** rapers,

we prefer to be called connoisseurs of anal activities

Rhino
8/11/2009, 03:13 PM
So years of asking for one and he some how has no clue?

And he actually created ze blenda forum?

Right. I'm saying send him an e-mail or a PM with your reasons why a politics forum is needed. A post in this thread is much less likely to be read by him.

I'm not sure he created ze blenda forum or not. That may have been a jkm or Beano thing.

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 03:16 PM

I can't believe I actually agree with you on something . . . dude.

High five.

:)

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 03:18 PM
I'm saying send him an e-mail or a PM with your reasons why a politics forum is needed. A post in this thread is much less likely to be read by him.

True. I guess I just assumed that since this is his baby he actually tried to be kept abreast about hot button issues.

I'm not sure he created ze blenda forum or not. That may have been a jkm or Beano thing.

That's my point. I doubt he did. Why would they (beano/jkm) not go ahead and just create the extra forum?

LosAngelesSooner
8/11/2009, 03:25 PM
I'll admit that I'm considered by some to be a big part of the problem.

But I will also say this: There used to be a time when you could post and argue in political threads, then go to another thread about fart smells or something and post away with the SAME POSTERS you were arguing with and get along fine. Or go post in the football forum and get along marvelously.

The problem started when people quit being able to differentiate the opinions from the people.

There will always be crybabies, whiners, internet tough guys, trolls, newbs, etc., who will come along from time to time and eventually get churned out by the rest of us. But the FIRST step we all need to make is learning to have fun again and not "HATE" a particular poster because of their opinions on something. Think their opinions are stupid, moronic, redneck, racist, lefty, socialist, commie, etc., but don't think that that person is somehow LESS of an American/Christian/person just because you disagree with them.

Shoot...I get along really well with some posters like Curly Bill and Olevet and I'll guaran-damn-tee you that we probably don't agree on 75% of things politically, but we know that it's all just B.S. anyway and that shouldn't stop us from being Sooners and being able to enjoy a drink together.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and we all know I'm a dirty Lib/Socialist/Obama Lovin'/gay rights supportin'/athiest/RINO/Commie/Nazi/**** stirrin' d-bag.

Carry on.

Collier11
8/11/2009, 03:32 PM
we all know I'm a dirty Lib/Socialist/Obama Lovin'/gay rights supportin'/athiest/RINO/Commie/Nazi/**** stirrin' d-bag.

Carry on.

Now thats something WE CAN ALL AGREE ON! ;) :D

Sooner24
8/11/2009, 03:37 PM
I'll admit that I'm considered by some to be a big part of the problem.

But I will also say this: There used to be a time when you could post and argue in political threads, then go to another thread about fart smells or something and post away with the SAME POSTERS you were arguing with and get along fine. Or go post in the football forum and get along marvelously.

The problem started when people quit being able to differentiate the opinions from the people.

There will always be crybabies, whiners, internet tough guys, trolls, newbs, etc., who will come along from time to time and eventually get churned out by the rest of us. But the FIRST step we all need to make is learning to have fun again and not "HATE" a particular poster because of their opinions on something. Think their opinions are stupid, moronic, redneck, racist, lefty, socialist, commie, etc., but don't think that that person is somehow LESS of an American/Christian/person just because you disagree with them.

Shoot...I get along really well with some posters like Curly Bill and Olevet and I'll guaran-damn-tee you that we probably don't agree on 75% of things politically, but we know that it's all just B.S. anyway and that should stop us from being Sooners and being able to enjoy a drink together.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and we all know I'm a dirty Lib/Socialist/Obama Lovin'/gay rights supportin'/athiest/RINO/Commie/Nazi/**** stirrin' d-bag.

Carry on.

And those are your good points :D

Rhino
8/11/2009, 04:08 PM
That's my point. I doubt he did. Why would they (beano/jkm) not go ahead and just create the extra forum? I'm sure they whizzed the idea of 'ze blenda' by him first, if it was one of them that created it. Phil has said no to a Politics Only forum in the past, so going ahead and creating it would be a no-no.

And, as far as I know, Beano and jkm (and Norm) no longer do maintenance around this place.

49r
8/11/2009, 04:25 PM
Dean's got it right mostly. This place became the suck when people with real wit and creativity stopped posting regularly, and those that THINK they do started.

Why does this place suck now? it's because of you, not the other guy. I've never been one to want to complain about **** in here because I know I suck at least as much everyone else...it's just that the difference now is I'm not as embarrassed by it because I know how much you all suck too.

So, short answer to making the SO better? Either like it the way it is or suck less. Oh, and taking farks away was the beginning of the end, IMO. That's what brought me to the SO in the first place...

LosAngelesSooner
8/11/2009, 04:26 PM
I do agree with that.

The Fark forum should be re-merged with the S.O.

It would help elevate the overall energy of the place by bringing some much needed creativity and humor back to the S.O.

Chuck Bao
8/11/2009, 04:30 PM
I would post in a politics forum.

This huge political divide in our country is relevant and fascinating and historic.

Although I ain't gonna agree with most folks here, I appreciate everyone's candor and a spirited and knowledgeable debate.

We all like to vent and rant now and again.

FREE SPEECH AND DEMOCRACY TO THE PEOPLE!!!!

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 04:43 PM
I'm sure they whizzed the idea of 'ze blenda' by him first, if it was one of them that created it. Phil has said no to a Politics Only forum in the past, so going ahead and creating it would be a no-no.

And, as far as I know, Beano and jkm (and Norm) no longer do maintenance around this place.

So nobody is tidying up the place? Interesting.

Sooner24
8/11/2009, 05:47 PM
SpeX-File alert

For once you get the joke. Good job! - LAS

That's jorb! :D

olevetonahill
8/11/2009, 05:50 PM
What part of THIS did Yall Miss ?:confused:

South Oval (14 Viewing)
Politics, the weather, you name it, it's fair game on the South Oval.

:pop:

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 05:53 PM
What part of THIS did Yall Miss ?:confused:

South Oval (14 Viewing)
Politics, the weather, you name it, it's fair game on the South Oval.

:pop:

Right along with the part where people complain about politics in the SO . . . :P

olevetonahill
8/11/2009, 05:57 PM
Bob I dont Like it ether , But its Much easier to train a New Puppy than and OLD dog
jes sayin :cool:

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2009, 06:09 PM
Bob I dont Like it ether , But its Much easier to train a New Puppy than and OLD dog
jes sayin :cool:

:)

Veritas
8/11/2009, 06:54 PM
Well *I* miss the days when two kids could meet on the interwebs and fall in like. Then one of the kids moms would die and a dude would send flowers, just being nice, and there would be a husband unit that nobody knew about that was all WTF? Then the two kids would get all Romeo and Juliet and be like "good bye cruel board. erase our presences and pretend we were never here kthxbai" But what everyone would do is be like ROFLCOPTER and peem each other about it. The one of the kids would rise all Phoenix like and be reincarnated, but then would later be all like "good bye cruel board again"

Yeah, I miss those days.

Mjcpr
8/11/2009, 07:02 PM
Well *I* miss the days when two kids could meet on the interwebs and fall in like. Then one of the kids moms would die and a dude would send flowers, just being nice, and there would be a husband unit that nobody knew about that was all WTF? Then the two kids would get all Romeo and Juliet and be like "good bye cruel board. erase our presences and pretend we were never here kthxbai" But what everyone would do is be like ROFLCOPTER and peem each other about it. The one of the kids would rise all Phoenix like and be reincarnated, but then would later be all like "good bye cruel board again"

Yeah, I miss those days.

Srsly.

olevetonahill
8/11/2009, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I miss those days.

Not to mention NAMES :D

Veritas
8/11/2009, 07:07 PM
Srsly.
**** YEAH!

olevetonahill
8/11/2009, 08:18 PM
**** YEAH!

No Shat ?

My Opinion Matters
8/11/2009, 09:25 PM
I really wish all that nonsense from the Husker made sense to me.

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 09:28 PM
have a hangout

have a debate

forums ?

idc tho

achiro
8/11/2009, 09:45 PM
Jaux? He's always been the most caring, giving, even-handed/headed poster/mod on the board.

You only say that so this thread doesn't get locked.:D

TexasLidig8r
8/12/2009, 08:56 AM
I miss the ole Lid v. GDC shootouts...

The Deep Throat meltdowns...

There is no Professor Moriarty any longer. :(

Collier11
8/12/2009, 09:00 AM
^^^ you said deep throat

oumartin
8/12/2009, 09:05 AM
Phil is like Obama, Sure he's in charge but he has no clue what's going on.

I think he should appoint a Czar

Sooner24
8/14/2009, 11:12 PM

Yeah, I miss those days.

Man, that was like watching Dallas and Pam woke up to find Bobby in the shower and it had all just been a dream. :pop:

TopDawg
8/17/2009, 06:51 PM

Can you imagine what a South Oval song would be like now?

TopDawg
8/17/2009, 06:55 PM
Are you saying you want me to be MORE annoying or do you want people annoying me more? Because the substantial volumes of negging I've received indicate that I'm annoying plenty of people. Likewise, plenty of people on here annoy me to no end.

So, which is it? :)

I'm glad you asked that question...I was wondering the same thing.

But I'm mad you asked that question because I was going to insinuate that 04 was still around, only under a different name. Probably Collier11.

yermom
8/17/2009, 07:28 PM
annoying him more

well, him and Mr. Palazo :D

Collier11
8/17/2009, 07:56 PM
I'm glad you asked that question...I was wondering the same thing.

But I'm mad you asked that question because I was going to insinuate that 04 was still around, only under a different name. Probably Collier11.

Wait! Is that a compliment or a put down? :D

sooneron
8/18/2009, 10:46 AM
and 04 is still dead

to

me

sooneron
8/18/2009, 10:48 AM
and I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned spek being part of the SO's "demise".

Scott D
8/18/2009, 12:44 PM
probably because I called it by it's proper name :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/18/2009, 12:51 PM
If this board was a much happier place without so much politics imagine how happy you could make yourself by not clicking on those pesky political threads.Problem solved. Case closed.

Collier11
8/18/2009, 12:59 PM
Thats too easy, they need something more difficult