PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods to be fined for criticism of rules official

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 08:41 PM
CHASKA, Minn. (AP)—Tiger Woods will be fined by the PGA Tour for his public criticism of a rules official after winning the Bridgestone Invitational, a tour official said Monday.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the tour does not publicize fines.

Woods was bothered after his four-shot victory Sunday because he and Padraig Harrington were put on the clock at the par-5 16th. He said that caused Harrington to rush three difficult shots, leading to triple bogey.

European Tour chief referee John Paramor told Woods and Harrington they were being timed.

Woods said he told Harrington after it was over, “I’m sorry that John got in the way of a great battle.”

Paramor said the final pairing was well behind most of the back nine, but officials gave them time to catch up. They were still 17 minutes out of position on the 16th tee, when they were put on the clock.

Woods hooked his tee shot, punched out to 178 yards and hit an 8-iron that stopped a foot from the hole for birdie. From the right trees, Harrington hit a 5-iron to the edge of a bunker, went over the green, then hit a flop shot too hard and into the water. The four-shot swing took the drama from one of the most compelling final rounds of the year.

“I don’t think that Paddy would have hit the pitch shot that way if he was able to take his time, look at it, analyze it,” Woods said. “But he was on the clock, had to get up there quickly and hit it.”

Harrington conceded he was rushed, although he said it would be unfair to give the final group preferential treatment.

Section VI-D in the PGA Tour’s player handbook says, “It is an obligation of membership to refrain from comments to the news media that unreasonably attack or disparage tournaments, sponsors, fellow members, players, or PGA Tour.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-woods-criticism&prov=ap&type=lgns

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 08:45 PM
what ya think about that JM? I know your a pretty big golf fan.

Turd_Ferguson
8/10/2009, 08:59 PM
I'm sure that will desecrate his bank account.:D

OU-HSV
8/10/2009, 09:00 PM
Whether yall are Tiger fans or not...this is pretty ridiculous that he's getting fined. Tiger was trying to demonstrate some class toward Harrington and it seems to have backfired on him.
Oh well guess he can afford it.

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 09:00 PM
lol ya, huge hit!!!

hell Tiger probably won't even pay this fine, Nike will probably pay it off.

Turd_Ferguson
8/10/2009, 09:01 PM
lol ya, huge hit!!!

hell Tiger probably won't even pay this fine, Nike will probably pay it off.He probably has enough pocket change in his bag to cover it. Seen him roll up at a tournament once. He was emptying his pockets and putting the stuff in his bag. He pulled a bank roll outta his pocket I coulda bought a house with.:D

Curly Bill
8/10/2009, 09:32 PM
The official's actions and the fine, both pretty ridiculous.

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 09:34 PM
he should just sit out this weekend, and be a dick about it

Curly Bill
8/10/2009, 09:36 PM
Yup, I'm not a Tigger fan at all, but I got his back on this one.

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 09:37 PM
ditto

Scott D
8/10/2009, 09:59 PM
he should just sit out this weekend, and be a dick about it

hah, sit out a major....it takes something major for him to miss one of those.

swardboy
8/10/2009, 10:18 PM
Tiger sitting out a major would be a MAJOR hit in viewership.

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 11:01 PM
I know he wouldn't do it... but i would get a laugh out of it ... and i could careless if Tiger played in the PGA Championship... lol

GrapevineSooner
8/10/2009, 11:19 PM
Whether yall are Tiger fans or not...this is pretty ridiculous that he's getting fined. Tiger was trying to demonstrate some class toward Harrington and it seems to have backfired on him.
Oh well guess he can afford it.

To be fair, he did take a shot at the European Tour official that informed Paddy that he was on the clock.

OH well. Guess I'll have to go out and buy a few more Gillette razor blades, buy some 24 packs of Gatorade, and pick up the latest edition of Tiger Woods golf to help him pay the fine. :D

Petro-Sooner
8/11/2009, 02:27 AM
Ya fined me what I paid in taxes for five minutes of work. Hooo hummm Go Tiger!

badger
8/11/2009, 07:56 AM
My guess? Tiger probably complains to officials all the time (he does seem the whiny type, no?) and PGA finally had enough of it and dropped the fine on him... which wasn't supposed to be publicized, so now someone's gonna get fired because it was :D

He is a wonderfully talented golfer, but he sure does whine.

picasso
8/11/2009, 08:34 AM
My guess? Tiger probably complains to officials all the time (he does seem the whiny type, no?) and PGA finally had enough of it and dropped the fine on him... which wasn't supposed to be publicized, so now someone's gonna get fired because it was :D

He is a wonderfully talented golfer, but he sure does whine.

how so? based on what? because he get's pissed at himself for hitting a bad shot or because there's 79 dooshbag photogs milling about while he addresses the ball?
I think they fined Tiger because he was critical of the rules official. nothing more or less.

King Crimson
8/11/2009, 08:44 AM
i don't know any more about this than anyone else, but about 80% of what a rules official is supposed to be doing is making sure players are playing in a timely manner. they fall behind (i think it's 30 minutes or a hole and a half) the group in front of them, the group goes "on the clock". if the players "on the clock" don't make up the time after an additional 30 minutes...then there's penalty.

it's a pretty automatic call from what my old man says. it's just the way things are. if the tournament is going to be on TV, there has to be timelines to get play finished.

how much money Tiger makes is pretty irrelevant. he's got the benefit of the doubt re: rulings on the course in at least one instance in the US Open at Pinehurst where the walking official wanted to penalize him for damaging a green after missing a putt....in that instance he was in danger of missing a cut on Friday and the USGA caved on the official's decision....which is based on the fact a player should have the conditions of play as others as a foundation for "fair play" and competition. beating up the green places other players at a disadvantage.

oumartin
8/11/2009, 08:55 AM
They were the last two people on the course so who cares if they were 15 minutes behind. There was one heck of a battle going on between those two up to that point.

It was stupid and the fine is stupid.

badger
8/11/2009, 09:42 AM
how so? based on what? because he get's pissed at himself for hitting a bad shot or because there's 79 dooshbag photogs milling about while he addresses the ball?
I think they fined Tiger because he was critical of the rules official. nothing more or less.

Again, it was just a guess, so it is based on nothing factual... not that there ever would be proof, because these fining reports aren't supposed to go public!

picasso
8/11/2009, 09:56 AM
Again, it was just a guess, so it is based on nothing factual... not that there ever would be proof, because these fining reports aren't supposed to go public!

well that certainly clears it up.

and how again is Tiger a whining type? Is there a report on that?

badger
8/11/2009, 10:09 AM
well that certainly clears it up.

and how again is Tiger a whining type? Is there a report on that?

That is also JMHO. I am never shy about linking and posting pics to support facts... but this is just my own observation of seeing Tiger toss his golf clubs, slam 'em into the turf, get angry at the crowd or cameramen, etc.

I find it ironic, considering that Tiger's dad alway spoke about how he disciplined his son growing up on the course to not throw tantrums and to endure distractions in the middle of putting or teeing off. Here's a link (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20122422,00.html) and a quote:

But there were serious lessons as well. "I was using golf to teach him about life," explains Earl. "About how to handle responsibility and pressure." Says Duran: "With Earl, there was no sulking or pouting when he didn't play well. Tiger learned by watching Earl in action."

or two:

Drawing from his experiences as a Green Beret, he put his teenage son through mental-toughness training—"the Woods finishing school," as he calls it—in which he employed "psychological intimidation" and dirty tricks, such as dropping his bag of clubs in the middle of Tiger's swing. ("He'd stop, turn around and grit his teeth," says Earl. "I'd say, 'Are you posing or are you going to play? Why don't you play the game and stop being the little pretty boy.' ")

picasso
8/11/2009, 10:33 AM
I know full well of the tactics and games Eldrick's dad taught him growing up. I just don't see Tiger as a whiner. He drops an occasional F-bomb but so do others. And he has a circus around him when he plays.

Maybe you should look at how Tiger really uses his mannerisms at times to work in his advantage.

Well, I'm off to golf. I'll try not to whine.:D

badger
8/11/2009, 10:47 AM
:P just had to get the last word in on tiger, didn't you?

StoopTroup
8/11/2009, 11:13 AM
^ :pop:

badger
8/11/2009, 11:54 AM
^ :rolleyes:

I really enjoy watching Tiger, aside from some occasional whining, but I will not understand why some are so obsessed with his golf so well... then again, I don't really golf.

OULenexaman
8/11/2009, 12:58 PM
stupid call by the official......bad move....as if both players didn't already have enough on their mind.....IMO it ruined the end of that tourney...if I was Tigger I'd drop an f bomb at 'em again...

olevetonahill
8/11/2009, 01:06 PM
Tiger Says he wernt :cool:
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news;_ylt=AkCBGRtQW4poYV_clLASM84ogsUF?slug=ap-pga-woods-fine&prov=ap&type=lgns

walkoffsooner
8/11/2009, 06:21 PM
After tiger breaks all pga records he could start own tour, and kill the pga. He is bigger than the game.

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 06:22 PM
yup, Tiger said he aint getting fined....KILL THE THREAD STARTER!!!!!!!!!!! GO

soonerinabilene
8/11/2009, 06:53 PM
That is also JMHO. I am never shy about linking and posting pics to support facts... but this is just my own observation of seeing Tiger toss his golf clubs, slam 'em into the turf, get angry at the crowd or cameramen, etc.

You do know that tiger is the black guy out there, not the left handed dude with bitch tits, right?;)

StoopTroup
8/11/2009, 07:43 PM
^ :rolleyes:

I really enjoy watching Tiger, aside from some occasional whining, but I will not understand why some are so obsessed with his golf so well... then again, I don't really golf.

OK...I'll chime in...

What kills me is when Tiger is out of contention they still give him more air time than the other 20 golfers ahead of him. That's probably why it seems he whines more as he gets more airtime than any other Golfer in History. If you could set your DVR to record a PGA event without any Tiger shots...you could watch an entire four day event in about two hours without commercials.

Breadburner
8/11/2009, 07:57 PM
How come they don't fine him for screaming #uck......

picasso
8/11/2009, 11:19 PM
OK...I'll chime in...

What kills me is when Tiger is out of contention they still give him more air time than the other 20 golfers ahead of him. That's probably why it seems he whines more as he gets more airtime than any other Golfer in History. If you could set your DVR to record a PGA event without any Tiger shots...you could watch an entire four day event in about two hours without commercials.

it's because he brings in the ratings. people want to see him, therefore he gets more camera time. I agree, if he's out of contention, then show a few shots, talk to him afterward and then move on.

Badger, you don't play golf and know nothing about it or you just don't really play golf?

I just appreciate someone who can do things nobody else can.

also, I swore I saw Lenexa!:)

badger
8/12/2009, 08:28 AM
I already gave a dollar's worth of my two cents, so I'll back out. I wish Tiger would curse and whine so much, that's all. I'd much rather discuss Sooner football, sorry :D

Turd_Ferguson
8/12/2009, 08:32 AM
You do know that tiger is the black guy out there, not the left handed dude with bitch tits, right?;)no you d'int.:mad:

OULenexaman
8/12/2009, 10:14 AM
also, I swore I saw Lenexa!:)

I'm surprised.....this bunker I'm in is deep.....