PDA

View Full Version : Something OU and UF Fans can Agree On

NorCaligator
8/10/2009, 12:49 PM
Percy Harvin and Adrian Peterson are going to be fun to watch this year!

11:45 a.m., Thursday (Minnesota Vikings camp, Mankato, Minn.): I came here expecting to see the fastest man in the NFL, Percy Harvin, ripping up Vikings camp. And I did see an incredibly gifted player, Harvin, getting coached very hard because the Vikings want him ready to play a big role on opening day 2009, not opening day 2010. But after seeing Adrian Peterson sprint around left end on an early-practice reverse like he'd just taken the baton in the Olympic 400-meter relay, I didn't know who was faster. Especially on the fast track of the Metrodome, I have no idea how teams are going to defend the Vikings when Peterson and Harvin are on the field together.

"Yesterday,"' Peterson told me with a laugh after practice, "I went up to Percy after practice when he was doing an interview with some press guys. I stood in the back and said, "My Harvin, Mr. Harvin, who do you think is faster, you or Adrian Peterson?''

This is what I wrote in my postcard from Minnesota training camp about a play I saw Harvin make: Harvin, split wide right outside the numbers, versus cornerback Marcus Walker, playing inches across the line from him, planning to get a bump on Harvin in the five-yard bump zone to knock him off his route. Harvin juked almost imperceptibly left-right-left at the snap of the ball. Walker lunged at him but only got a piece of him as Harvin got outside Walker's left shoulder at the line. NFL corners, and highlight producers in TV stations across the country, are going to see a lot of this. Harvin is so quick off the line, then so fast, that if you give him a half-step and don't have a safety over the top for double-coverage help, the Vikings are going to throw a lot of deep touchdowns to this man. On this play, Walker never caught up, and the deep throw nestled cleanly in Harvin's arms. Touchdown.

I expect Harvin to have the opportunity to be the Offensive Rookie of the Year. He's too talented, and he has Peterson to take the pressure off him. And vice versa.

The troubled Harvin, obviously, got investigated thoroughly before he was drafted out of the University of Florida in April. When Brad Childress went to Gainesville the week before the draft to meet Harvin and spend a day with him, he said he wanted Harvin to pick him up and drive him around. "I wanted to be in his car, and I wanted to smell the car,'' Childress said. You know, for the pot smell. And he asked Harvin if he was aware that because of his marijuana experiences in college and for testing positive for pot at the Scouting Combine, he'd enter the NFL already in the NFL's substance-abuse program. "You'll be eligible to be tested up to 10 times a month,'' Childress warned.

The honeymoon is on. "Urban Meyer told me the young man is going to be a pleasure to coach, and he has a high football IQ,'' said veteran wide receivers coach George Stewart. "And so far, it's true.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/09/mmqb/1.html#ixzz0Nn9o9HGK

I love AP's competitive spirit.

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 12:50 PM
just tell Harvin to get the hell outta the way....;)

yermom
8/10/2009, 12:54 PM
that's A-D ;)

and i guess i didn't notice Harvin went to the Vikes. that's crazy.

Dio
8/10/2009, 01:01 PM
Too bad the Vikes don't have a QB

badger
8/10/2009, 01:01 PM

'Tis true... think the Vikes could trade for Vince Young so I can watch my Packers tackle both Percy AND Vince? :D

(the Packers will not tackle AD... they respect him too much)

OK2U
8/10/2009, 01:03 PM
Hopefully Walker gets a spot on the roster.

NorCaligator
8/10/2009, 01:31 PM
Too bad the Vikes don't have a QB

I hear Michael Vick is looking for a team.

Collier11
8/10/2009, 01:37 PM
Id take VIck over the jokes that they have at QB and I dont even think Vick is that great

NormanPride
8/10/2009, 01:41 PM
The honeymoon is on. "Urban Meyer told me the young man is going to be a pleasure to coach, and he has a high football IQ,'' said veteran wide receivers coach George Stewart. "And so far, it's true.''

I guess they glossed over the part where he choked one of his coaches. :D

C&CDean
8/10/2009, 01:50 PM
Personally, I think Harvin is a gifted athlete - who also happens to have the Ricky Williams/Cedric Benson gene running around in his body. I think he could be All-Pro, or I think he could end up under an overpass hitting a crack pipe every 30 seconds. All that being said, Harvin couldn't even sniff AD's jock right now. Let's see how he handles the NFL for a year or two, then we'll get all giddy about him and AD in the same backfield/team.

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 01:53 PM
Reggie Bush..... ?

not doing much in the NFL.?

RedstickSooner
8/10/2009, 02:39 PM
Id take VIck over the jokes that they have at QB and I dont even think Vick is that great

Agreed. And I loathe him - *and* think he's a mediocre QB.

But, since it's kind of stunning for an NFL team to operate for years without having *anyone* at QB, even Vick would be a stupendous upgrade.

badger
8/10/2009, 02:43 PM
Something else OU and UF fans can agree on:

It's zounds better to be in the top two than be ranked 3 or below:
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/06/43/20/image_8620436.jpg
Tee hee, I used the word "zounds"

oumartin
8/10/2009, 02:44 PM
Personally, I think Harvin is a gifted athlete - who also happens to have the Ricky Williams/Cedric Benson gene running around in his body. I think he could be All-Pro, or I think he could end up under an overpass hitting a crack pipe every 30 seconds. All that being said, Harvin couldn't even sniff AD's jock right now. Let's see how he handles the NFL for a year or two, then we'll get all giddy about him and AD in the same backfield/team.

Harvin played in the SEC! Far better competition week in and week out than what the NFL can dish out.

AlbqSooner
8/10/2009, 02:59 PM
Harvin played in the SEC! Far better competition week in and week out than what the NFL can dish out.

You forgot the winkie.;)

oumartin
8/10/2009, 03:05 PM
oh, I'm dead serious!

;)

Collier11
8/10/2009, 03:12 PM
speed isnt even close

PhiDeltBeers
8/10/2009, 03:33 PM
What's up with John David Booty??? He's on the roster.

bluedogok
8/10/2009, 08:17 PM
How about some downfield blocking.....

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 09:00 PM
Harvin can't block

Eielson
8/10/2009, 09:03 PM
Harvin can't block

Which is all the Vikings will need from their receivers. AD, Taylor...Vick?

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 09:04 PM
u think Vick will end up there?

Eielson
8/10/2009, 09:07 PM
u think Vick will end up there?

I don't know, but it sure sounds cool.

goingoneight
8/10/2009, 09:08 PM
Vick sure is in the doghouse right now.

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 09:08 PM
AD, Harvin , Vick, Taylor

put them all on the same field at the same time... I'm sure something exciting would happen.. hehe

bluedogok
8/10/2009, 10:57 PM
Harvin can't block
With a CB all you have to do is get in the way and provide enough shield for Peterson to blow by...

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 10:58 PM
With a CB all you have to do is get in the way and provide enough shield for Peterson to blow by...

Harvin lover! ;)

NorCaligator
8/11/2009, 01:24 AM
Harvin blocks. I'll replay our last home game and see if I can give some specific examples for you.;)

JiuJitsuSooner
8/11/2009, 02:02 AM
Harvin is a stud... Vikings will be fun to watch the next few years

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 02:05 AM
so was Bush

soonerboy_odanorth
8/11/2009, 02:35 AM
PART 1: 'Tis true... think the Vikes could trade for Vince Young so I can watch my Packers tackle both Percy AND Vince? :D

PART 2: the Packers will not tackle AD... they respect him too much

I love you badg... You know I do..... but:

You spout silly crap like (PART 1) again, and I'm going to have to say the finer parts of good fungus cheese... blue... aged brie... aged gouda... have deluded you into thinking the Packers can tackle anybody, which is not the case...

... and that leads me to believe you think anyone from 'sconi (PART 2) respects anyone not named, Jim, Jack, Jose, Ron, Adolph, or Nat.... again something we know is not the case.

Please, just sit back, and suck on the excellence of Jared Allen chewing off Aaron-boy's left leg.

Thank you, and GOOD NIGHT!

Eielson
8/11/2009, 04:12 AM
so was Bush

In three years he's had 3,000 yards rushing/receiving. He's also had a big impact on special teams. I don't like him either, and I've never understand why he would be more highly regarded than Peterson in the draft, but the guy can play.

badger
8/11/2009, 07:24 AM
Please, just sit back, and suck on the excellence of Jared Allen chewing off Aaron-boy's left leg.

Never winning a Super Bowl seems to have given you a male form of PMS. Take some ibuprofen so you can stomach all the losses, don't wear anything white, lest you be confused as a fan of another team and bleed Vikings purple elsewhere ;)

cheezyq
8/11/2009, 10:27 AM
...Harvin juked almost imperceptibly left-right-left at the snap of the ball. Walker lunged at him but only got a piece of him as Harvin got outside Walker's left shoulder at the line. NFL corners, and highlight producers in TV stations across the country, are going to see a lot of this. Harvin is so quick off the line, then so fast, that if you give him a half-step and don't have a safety over the top for double-coverage help, the Vikings are going to throw a lot of deep touchdowns to this man. On this play, Walker never caught up, and the deep throw nestled cleanly in Harvin's arms. Touchdown.

I expect Harvin to have the opportunity to be the Offensive Rookie of the Year...

I'm not trying to put down Harvin, as I think he'll be good, personally...but a lot of what you said up here reminds me of another player who was similar in college and style of play. His name was Peter Warrick. I remember seeing him make some ridiculous moves in the open field and off the line and was very fast. He never did much outside of preseason. Again, not trying to put him down or say that he won't be good, but the description above sounds eerily similar.

However, I also think that Harvin meant more to that team that the media and others realize. You don't have a tough schedule, but I can see UF losing a game or two and someone else sneaking into the MNC picture.

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 10:33 AM
In three years he's had 3,000 yards rushing/receiving. He's also had a big impact on special teams. I don't like him either, and I've never understand why he would be more highly regarded than Peterson in the draft, but the guy can play.

yuck!

NorCaligator
8/11/2009, 11:27 AM
I'm not trying to put down Harvin, as I think he'll be good, personally...but a lot of what you said up here reminds me of another player who was similar in college and style of play. His name was Peter Warrick. I remember seeing him make some ridiculous moves in the open field and off the line and was very fast. He never did much outside of preseason. Again, not trying to put him down or say that he won't be good, but the description above sounds eerily similar.

However, I also think that Harvin meant more to that team that the media and others realize. You don't have a tough schedule, but I can see UF losing a game or two and someone else sneaking into the MNC picture.

Just to be clear, those weren't my words - the quote was from Peter King's article. Whether Harvin succeeds in the NFL is anyone's guess. I agree that Warrick was a bit of a bust, and the comparison doesn't bode well. We'll have to see.

Regarding his importance to the team, no question Harvin bailed us out a few times last season. But we've got other guys that can rip off long gains (Rainey, Demps, James) and some with serious potential (Thompson, Debose). However, while Tebow and co. get all the attention, I find the defense and its depth more impressive. That's what gets us into the MNC, IMO.