PDA

View Full Version : Well, here I am in Alabama...

Okla-homey
8/9/2009, 08:11 PM
drunk as Cooter Brown.

Gonna watch my baby girl grajitate from kollege tomorrow.

Peace. Out.

LosAngelesSooner
8/9/2009, 08:30 PM
Congratulations, both on being drunk and on your baby girl graduating from college.

I'm sure she's gonna carry on the proud Homey tradition.

Be safe and have fun! :)

SoonerStormchaser
8/9/2009, 08:33 PM
Just don't set foot on Maxwell...you'll be sadly disappointed at what a ****hole it is!

swardboy
8/9/2009, 09:13 PM
I spent about ten years in Huntsville....where's she grajitating from?

StoopTroup
8/9/2009, 09:39 PM
Congrats to your Girl Homey.

Time for her to join the military now. :D

picasso
8/9/2009, 11:05 PM
did they do the program in Bryan Dennehy stadium?

Tailwind
8/9/2009, 11:41 PM
Grats Homey! Are you as boiled as an owl?

SteelCitySooner
8/9/2009, 11:42 PM
ugh.. i Did my COT at Maxwell/Gunter. Couldn't wait to get out of that place!

SteelCitySooner
8/9/2009, 11:43 PM
And Congrats Homey! Must be an awesome feeling..

olevetonahill
8/10/2009, 12:23 AM
Ya done good bro
Ya served OUR country well
Ya started a new Career
Ya got yer baby started well in Life
Ya done good My friend :cool:

picasso
8/10/2009, 08:35 AM
And Congrats Homey! Must be an awesome feeling..

Being drunk in Alabama?

well just don't get lost in the woods.

Okla-homey
8/12/2009, 07:44 PM
Update:
I'm in Souse Cackalaxley now. Hangin' wid Missus Homey's peeps. Been in Chucktown all day. It's hawt and humid. But the seafood was excellente and the cerveza was cold. I swear, if I didn't love Oklahoma so damn much, I could live here quite happily. See you bastagez again real soon.

King Crimson
8/12/2009, 08:00 PM
CU quit having August commencement ceremonies which i thought was too bad, because the ceremony was a lot more "personal" and meaningful (if you are into that kind of thing, and parents tend to be) than the May stadium cattle call deal.

so, good on ya for that Homey.

Frozen Sooner
8/12/2009, 08:25 PM
(waves)

Hey, so am I!

NormanPride
8/13/2009, 09:10 AM
Froz is south of the mason-dixon? When did this happen?

Okla-homey
8/13/2009, 03:35 PM
CU quit having August commencement ceremonies which i thought was too bad, because the ceremony was a lot more "personal" and meaningful (if you are into that kind of thing, and parents tend to be) than the May stadium cattle call deal.

so, good on ya for that Homey.

The best part was...NO COMMENCEMENT SPEAKER! That's right. Grads just processional-in while band plays P&C, they take a seat, very large music education PhD candidate sings National Anthem, and some official starts calling out names as each kid hands him a card with his or her name on it, thank-you-very-much. They got about 700 kids through in under two hours. It was sweet.

I was struck by the sheer number of Chinese and Pac rim doctoral grads, in this case, mostly in agricultural and/or animal husbandry disciplines. Of course their dissertation titles were printed in the program. One Chinese guy's was something like "The Effect of Rice Production By-Products as Nutrients on the Growth and End Weight of Genetically Engineered Catfish." Or something.

King Crimson
8/13/2009, 03:48 PM
what i liked about the CU one was it was out on one of the main quads instead of Folsom Field or the Coors Events Center. folding chairs, and a little brass band/string quintet playing tunes and stuff. minimum of fuss but sufficient pomp and circumstance to "authenticate" the formal nature of the event.

at the PhD level having international students is a win-win-win for universities. not always, but a lot of the time these students are having their education paid for by someone or something in the home country so you don't have to fund them. having a slew of international students is part of most of the rubrics for national university type rankings....and as pointless as most of those are they wield a lot of power for the hack PR people and economists who run universities these days. and it allows the school to both pad and trumpet up the ever popular "diversity" stats.

i know CU has amped up their recruiting overseas in the last couple years....i got an email about it. they always have a bunch in physics and astrophysics....chemistry.

i will also say, there are less middle eastern graduate students than there were 10 years ago.

C&CDean
8/13/2009, 03:50 PM
what i liked about the CU one was it was out on one of the main quads instead of Folsom Field or the Coors Events Center. folding chairs, and a little brass band/string quintet playing tunes and stuff. minimum of fuss but sufficient pomp and circumstance to "authenticate" the formal nature of the event.

at the PhD level having international students is a win-win-win for universities. not always, but a lot of the time these students are having their education paid for by something in the home country. having a slew of international students is part of most of the rubrics for national university type rankings....and as pointless as most of those are they wield a lot of power for the hack PR people and economists who run universities these days. and it allows the school to both pad and trumpet up the ever popular "diversity" stats.

i know CU has amped up their recruiting overseas in the last couple years....i got an email about it. they always have a bunch in physics and astrophysics....chemistry.

i will also say, there are less middle eastern graduate students than there were 10 years ago.

Well yeah, ever since CU quit offering "Building IEDs 101."

King Crimson
8/13/2009, 03:54 PM
Well yeah, ever since CU quit offering "Building IEDs 101."

not at the undergrad level. the grad offerings are still up. but, for all the stereotypes, CU's physics/astrophysics department is both HUGE and basically a subset of the DoD, Ball Aerospace and NASA. it's pretty pro-military industrial complex....not a lot of hippies teaching how "neato physics is" over there.

i used to drink with this guy from India who was in the Physics dept. and those grad students lived like kings on private sector research grants.

stoopified
8/13/2009, 04:31 PM
Isn't being drunk a matter of self-preservation in ALABAMA?

Chuck Bao
8/13/2009, 04:57 PM
Isn't being drunk a matter of self-preservation in ALABAMA?

And, get all dressed up in some wizard robes. Ummmm black ones. With colorful scarves or whatever ya call them.

And, will you guys please teach the international students how to cuss properly. Many come home without having the venacular quite right.

Congrats to Homey's daughter and her future in Houston. You rightly are a proud dad.

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2009, 05:18 PM
Froz is south of the mason-dixon? When did this happen?

Last week. Jeez, haven't you been paying attention?

Rogue
8/13/2009, 06:49 PM
Froz is in loyerin' school down there.