PDA

View Full Version : Sam's back-up

ouwasp
8/9/2009, 06:00 PM
Who will the back-up qb be and why. Will he get much game time?

cherokeebrewer
8/9/2009, 06:12 PM
Landry Jones and no...

okcusooner
8/9/2009, 07:28 PM
Certainly Landry Jones....and if the coaches learned anything from the 2007 Texas Tech game, hopefully he will get significant playing time.

ThatGuy65
8/9/2009, 07:36 PM
Even if he gets PT, it won't be quality PT. It'll be in blowouts and he won't throw any meaningful passes.

soonersam
8/9/2009, 07:46 PM
Def will be Landry Jones

JLEW1818
8/9/2009, 07:58 PM
"Groom"

hehehe

josh09
8/9/2009, 10:29 PM
Certainly Landry Jones....and if the coaches learned anything from the 2007 Texas Tech game, hopefully he will get significant playing time.

Exactly, can't have said it better.

Collier11
8/9/2009, 10:32 PM
All of you saying Def Landry, I have heard that Drew Allen has looked better so I wouldnt mark it down just yet

goingoneight
8/9/2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah, and Keith Nichol will start.

Landry is a better QB prospect than JUCO Joey Halzle was. While indeed Jones needs some game time, it's a different cast Landry will be working with, different defense, and even a different offense communication-wise. Tech 2007 was just a bad night altogether. Arguably as bad as the Texas game was when RR went down last year. You have to think even if it's worse that it won't be the exact same outcome if God forbid that Mike Balogun or that Austin Box has to come in this year.

soonerchris
8/10/2009, 12:56 AM
Hmmmm. I seem to remember a thread about this same topic...yes. Can't remember if it was jlew or olevet...some drunk poster...hee hee. Gawd what a sore topic. Playing time that is!!

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 05:52 AM
Hmmmm. I seem to remember a thread about this same topic...yes. Can't remember if it was jlew or olevet...some drunk poster...hee hee. Gawd what a sore topic. Playing time that is!!

:D :hot:

badger
8/10/2009, 07:31 AM
I checked the depth chart (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html)... last updated July 16, it still lists a 2a and 2b, heh.

I think either of them could be good, just like I thought Keith Nichol or Sam Bradford could have been good, regardless of who was named starter... however, gotta put a little more trust into the coaches on this one.

PhiDeltBeers
8/10/2009, 07:47 AM
Rhett?

badger
8/10/2009, 07:54 AM
Rhett?

I think we've already had the continuous discussion on here many times over that coaches can only do so much before expecting players to take some personal responsibility to follow the rules of the NCAA and the law and that if players end up as underage drinkers and paycheck thieves that's not something the coaches can always foresee?

I think there's no question RB was more talented at the QB position than ENA... how were the coaches supposed to know that RB would try to push the limits of the law and the student-athlete-employee regulations of the NCAA?

But, on the positive, I don't see either Landry or Drew as that type of athlete.. and if they are, hell, OU gave them every chance to compete for the QB position and to succeed as a student-athlete. If they blow that on some extra checks they didn't earn or by drinking underage, well, hopefully they'll learn from the experience.

:P hopefully, that'll be the last time that gets brought up.

Sooner-N-KS
8/10/2009, 08:04 AM
Landry will get to play a full half minus the first drive of the 3rd quarter against Idaho St. We probably won't get to see it on TV outside of pay per view.

Boomer.....
8/10/2009, 08:08 AM
All of you saying Def Landry, I have heard that Drew Allen has looked better so I wouldnt mark it down just yet

I heard the same thing.

StoopTroup
8/10/2009, 08:16 AM
I haven't heard anything yet...

Phil...could we get some audio up in here so I can hear what these guys are sayin'?

goingoneight
8/10/2009, 08:21 AM
I tend to go by word of mouth... as in Kevin Wilson, Josh Heupel AND Bob Stoops continuously going off-subject to compliment LJ during the Spring and saying DA is talented, but not ready yet. DA could be OUr next RS Fr. superstar, but for now he's the fan fave cuz he's the underdog. 2A and 2B may be a tricky little attempt to keep the backups from transferring ala 2A Joey Halzle and 2B Keith Nichol. QB is the hardest position to stockpile depth because of the lack of rotation every other position sees. Some guys go off the field every other play... but QB, once the starting job is won, takes 95% or more of the snaps for as much as four years with no guarantees you'll be the guy when Johnny Starter graduates.

gaylordfan1
8/10/2009, 08:49 AM
I bet Landry gets more pt this year than good ole' # 15 did last year. I bet D. Allen will redshirt and be ready to take the reins if Landry doesn't impress this or next year. Anyone agree? Or am I speaking the obvious?

picasso
8/10/2009, 08:57 AM
Chris Melson.

SoonerPr8r
8/10/2009, 09:17 AM
Nimmo

Jacie
8/10/2009, 09:25 AM
The Joey Hazle line:

2006: 1 game, 1-2, 15 yds
2007: 6 games, 30-51, 454 yds, 3 tds, 1 int
2008: 7 games, 22-30, 171 yds, 1 td, 1 int

I wonder where his total of 640 yds place him on the career Sooner backup quarterback list?

Soonerman08
8/10/2009, 09:25 AM
Nimmo

Josh Heupel. Hey, you never know when the position coach is going to throw on the pads and come in. They will never know it was him, they prob. will just think, "Oh #14 is alright and is ready to play!":D

PhiDeltBeers
8/10/2009, 09:53 AM
I think we've already had the continuous discussion on here many times over that coaches can only do so much before expecting players to take some personal responsibility to follow the rules of the NCAA and the law and that if players end up as underage drinkers and paycheck thieves that's not something the coaches can always foresee?

I think there's no question RB was more talented at the QB position than ENA... how were the coaches supposed to know that RB would try to push the limits of the law and the student-athlete-employee regulations of the NCAA?

But, on the positive, I don't see either Landry or Drew as that type of athlete.. and if they are, hell, OU gave them every chance to compete for the QB position and to succeed as a student-athlete. If they blow that on some extra checks they didn't earn or by drinking underage, well, hopefully they'll learn from the experience.

:P hopefully, that'll be the last time that gets brought up.

I was simply funning around by throwing RB's name in there. Was by NO means trying to bring up a whole nother discussion about the mistakes he made. Come on...haha?

SoonerLB
8/10/2009, 10:27 AM
I hope LJ can get some playing time and some good experience, 'cause with Sam having that "H" attached to his name now, defenses are gonna be gunning for him, and I think we all agree that we need someone with both experieince and the capability of taking the reins if a situation arises. And I'm pretty sure the coaches are aware of that fact, as well as preparing for any such situation.

badger
8/10/2009, 10:36 AM
I was simply funning around by throwing RB's name in there. Was by NO means trying to bring up a whole nother discussion about the mistakes he made. Come on...haha?

i DID stick my tongue out at you. :P

ouengineer97
8/10/2009, 10:55 AM

I agree. Since SB has already won the heisman, there is not any real reason to leave him in games once it is clearly decided.

PhiDeltBeers
8/10/2009, 12:37 PM
^^^^^^^

Top post of the day.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2009, 12:47 PM
I'll keep saying it - the '07 TT game was not a good example. Sam was a RS-FR and any snap he didn't get in practice or a game was delaying his development. The coaches were smart to invest in the future instead of an insurance policy. This year is obviously very different because Sam is very polished and the back-ups are the future. Still, no way we win in Dallas or against our bowl opponent with a back-up QB. There are no safety nets for the really big games unless the team is not based on excellence at QB (like some of the recent LSU teams or 'Bama last year).

okcusooner
8/10/2009, 05:48 PM
I agree. Since SB has already won the heisman, there is not any real reason to leave him in games once it is clearly decided.

Also think Sam is the kind of guy who'd rather win a N.C. than another Heisman if he were forced to pick between the two.

soonerchris
8/10/2009, 06:39 PM
Something smells in here........like a dead horse!! That's been beat!!!

stoopified
8/10/2009, 11:57 PM
Landry and no.

westcoast_sooner
8/11/2009, 12:23 AM
IMO, unless Drew Allen is significantly better than Landry Jones, it makes no sense to put him in. Allen is a true Freshman - might as well redshirt the guy if you can.

Stoops just doesn't play the backup much either. If we're up by 3 or 4 TDs late, I can see him putting someone in, but many will ask "why put in someone that is just going to hand off? Is that really meaningful playing time?"

Personally, since Landry has already used his redshirt season, it makes sense to me to put him in and get him some experience at game speed when there is an opportunity. But whoever wins the backup job - Coach Stoops will make sure he's ready.

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 12:30 AM
IMO, unless Drew Allen is significantly better than Landry Jones, it makes no sense to put him in. Allen is a true Freshman - might as well redshirt the guy if you can.

Stoops just doesn't play the backup much either. If we're up by 3 or 4 TDs late, I can see him putting someone in, but many will ask "why put in someone that is just going to hand off? Is that really meaningful playing time?"

Personally, since Landry has already used his redshirt season, it makes sense to me to put him in and get him some experience at game speed when there is an opportunity. But whoever wins the backup job - Coach Stoops will make sure he's ready.

We had some heated debate on that very issue here while back. :)

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 12:31 AM
groom

Curly Bill
8/11/2009, 12:32 AM
groom

What is a small town in the Texas panhandle.

For $500 Alex, I'll take small towns.

Collier11
8/11/2009, 09:47 AM
From the Tulsa World

Who's next: Sam's the Man. But if something happens to Bradford, who's next in line? Landry Jones, a redshirt freshman from Artesia, N.M., appeared in spring practice to be clearly ahead of early arriving freshman Drew Allen. But when the summer depth chart was released, they were even.

SoonerObsession
8/11/2009, 10:12 AM
I bet Landry gets more pt this year than good ole' # 15 did last year. I bet D. Allen will redshirt and be ready to take the reins if Landry doesn't impress this or next year. Anyone agree? Or am I speaking the obvious?

I agree. Since Sam already has a heisman, I don't think Stoops will feel the need to keep Sam in the game for better stats. Maybe Coach Stoops doesn't do this, but when Sam is running the offense when we are already up by 30+ points, it sure seems to be the case.

Collier11
8/11/2009, 10:27 AM
never stopped Stoops before, what makes you think he will change after 10 years?

OU_Sooners75
8/11/2009, 10:31 AM
Even if he gets PT, it won't be quality PT. It'll be in blowouts and he won't throw any meaningful passes.

That is not entirely true....true, the PT will come in blowouts and he may not throw any meaningful passes.

However, to say that that PT is not quality is completely wrong.

Any playing time in a real game situation is quality experience for any player. They get to see the speed of the game in real time and against another opponent.

I know when I played high school and college football, the seasons I was not the starter... when given the chance, even mop up duty, it was very valuable experience.

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 10:34 AM
if we started Jones against Idaho State, would you "groom" lovers be happy? lol

OU_Sooners75
8/11/2009, 10:39 AM
if we started Jones against Idaho State, would you "groom" lovers be happy? lol

No...and that is something that is pretty much out of the question unless Bradford, God forbid, gets injured against BYU.

PhiDeltBeers
8/11/2009, 11:23 AM
Let us not forget the factor of margin of victory. If we (Heaven forbid) have a loss, then style points may play in. Thus keeping Mr. Jones off the field more.