PDA

View Full Version : Is this fa' real?

meoveryouxinfinity
8/9/2009, 09:07 AM
Disappointment about last season finally behind Texas (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-12-53/Disappointment-about-last-season-finally-behind-Texas.html)

August 8, 2009 7:22 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas coach Mack Brown has told his team to put aside lingering anger from last season's BCS controversy as it prepares for Sunday's opening practice of fall training camp.
[side note: BAHAHHAHAHHA!!]

The Longhorns were nosed out by Oklahoma for the Big 12 South championship, despite beating the Sooners during the regular season. The Sooners advanced to the Big 12 championship game on the fifth tiebreaker, defeating Missouri for their unprecedented third-straight Big 12 title.

Texas, instead, went to the Fiesta Bowl where they posted a 24-21 comeback victory over Ohio State and finished third in the final Associated Press poll. Oklahoma lost to Florida in the national championship game, 24-14, and placed fifth.

"I told our kids in the spring and I told them again tonight to forget the system ... forget any of it," Brown said. "They need to be the best team they can be. Let's enjoy being Texas and not sit around and answer questions and worry about the system all the time."

The Longhorns awarded themselves a mythical Big 12 conference championship -- with an asterisk -- that they briefly displayed on a wall of team honors at the Moncrief-Neuhaus Training Facility before taking it down several days later.

Brown was adamant his team needs to forget those bad feelings as it gets ready to challenge the Sooners for the South Division title.

"The Big 12's tiebreaker won't change, short term for sure, and the BCS won't change for at least a year," Brown said. "You've got what you've got so quit worrying about. You play the best you can play and we'll go wherever they tell us."

suuuure

soonersam
8/9/2009, 09:28 AM
The Longhorns awarded themselves a mythical Big 12 conference championship -- with an asterisk -- that they briefly displayed on a wall of team honors at the Moncrief-Neuhaus Training Facility before taking it down several days later.

That still cracks me up!!!!

meoveryouxinfinity
8/9/2009, 09:36 AM
I have NO DOUBT that if we would've been "left out", Bob Stoops would NOT blame Texas. He would blame himself. And he would state publicly from day 1 that that's the way it goes.. we should have beaten Texas.

Flagstaffsooner
8/9/2009, 09:52 AM
Typical Mack.

oudivesherpa
8/9/2009, 09:58 AM
I had a date with Jessica Simpson, I didn't score but I gave myself an asterisk for the *effort.*

stoopified
8/9/2009, 10:00 AM
Mack the Clown is alive and well.

badger
8/9/2009, 10:01 AM
They took down the publicly visible asterisk next to 2008, but one remain in every whorn lockerroom, coach's office and in the hearts and minds... and yes, EYES... of every whorn.

OKC-SLC
8/9/2009, 10:15 AM
they are getting to be more and more like the old TU. The TU from TFRW time frame. All talk, trying to convince everyone that they're focused, blah blah blah.

If it wasn't for Colt, i'd give us a 90% chance of pounding their ghey azzes this year.

NTTAWWT.

rainiersooner
8/9/2009, 11:38 AM
Pretty similar article on SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/08/08/Texas.reports.ap/index.html

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Texas reported to training camp Saturday with a message from coach Mack Brown: Forget the system.

Forget the Bowl Championship Series formula. Forget the Big 12 tiebreaker that used the BCS ratings to send Oklahoma to the conference title game last season.

And forget how that system ultimately sent the Sooners, a team Texas beat on the field, to play for a national championship instead of the Longhorns.

Quarterback Colt McCoy said the Longhorns have already pushed all that out of their minds. He added there's no talk of preseason rankings or pursuing a national title. Not among the players, anyway.

For the average fan? It's all anyone is talking about.

Texas fans always demand a lot from Brown and the Longhorns, but there hasn't been this kind of buzz around Austin since 2005, when Vince Young and the Longhorns won the school's first undisputed national title since 1969.

"You walk in the locker room, nobody's talking 'Let's win the national championship,"' McCoy said. "All (the players) are talking about is winning the first game."

And if the Longhorns win all their games, they know they'll get their shot, just as they did in 2005.

That didn't happen last year.

A last-second loss at Texas Tech unraveled a 12-1 season that saw the Longhorns rocket to No. 1 by midseason. That loss created a three-way tie in the Big 12 South before the league tiebreaker sent the Sooners to the conference title game.

"As long as you win all your games, you don't have to embrace the system, it will embrace you," senior offensive lineman Chris Hall said.

Seventeen returning starters and McCoy's runner-up finish for the Heisman Trophy last season have expectations running at a boil. Texas is ranked No. 2 in the coaches' preseason poll, right behind reigning BCS champion Florida.

Part two of Brown's message: Embrace the expectations, but then live up to them.

That's what happened in 2005, when the Longhorns started the season No. 2. They stayed there all year before beating Southern California in an epic Rose Bowl for the BCS title.

McCoy saw how that season unfolded. He was a redshirt freshman running the scout team in practice and carried a clipboard to chart plays for Young during the games.

Although the Longhorns are still looking for a dominant running game and must shore up gaping holes in the defensive line, it will be McCoy shouldering most of Texas' expectations for the season.

Now a fifth-year senior, he already owns the Texas records for most wins by a quarterback (32), most passing yards (9,732), most touchdowns (85) and set an NCAA season record in 2008 with a 76.7 percent completion rate.

Another banner season puts him in back in the hunt for the Heisman along with the last two winners, Florida quarterback Tim Tebow and Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford.

"There's nothing that guy can't handle. He's comfortable with everything, everyone and every situation," Hall said.

Perhaps McCoy and the Longhorns are already eyeing Tebow and the Gators. Tebow was sporting a full beard at Florida practices and the Texas seniors have made a pact not to shave during their training camp. The first practice is Sunday morning. The first game is Sept. 5 against Louisiana-Monroe.

"We'll see who can grow the nastiest facial hair," McCoy said.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/08/08/Texas.reports.ap/index.html#ixzz0NhnKXRJa

This is like Chicken Soup for the Longhorn Soul - pathetic.

picasso
8/9/2009, 11:42 AM
hopefully this crying will stop soon.

sheesh.

OKC-SLC
8/9/2009, 12:30 PM
great. they're lifting weights AND making pacts amongst seniors not to shave their beards?

don't tell Bob--he'll just want to cancel the game.

soonersam
8/9/2009, 01:33 PM
Its never mentioned that Bob didnt even vote.....

JLEW1818
8/9/2009, 01:35 PM
"We know where the trophy is " - Bob Stoops

okcusooner
8/9/2009, 02:31 PM
I've told Texas fans the same thing over and over.

Don't let Texas Tech drive the length of the field with just over a minute left and this wouldn't even be an issue.

Two words: Blake Gideon.......if he catches that wounded duck for an interception this wouldn't even be an issue.

Texas had the Big XII Championship in its control and let it get away.

They say Defense wins championships....clearly, it can lose them too.

fossil
8/9/2009, 05:50 PM
I have NO DOUBT that if we would've been "left out", Bob Stoops would NOT blame Texas. He would blame himself. And he would state publicly from day 1 that that's the way it goes.. we should have beaten Texas.

:D Why you got a picture of Howdy Doody as your avatar?