PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat Formation?

CK Sooner
8/7/2009, 06:43 PM
This comes from the recent Rivals.com Article about Mossis Madu.

On the coaches being excited about his durability…

Yeah, from what I've heard, we have a whole bunch of stuff lined up. I can't say what it is now, you'll see it in the near future, but it's going to look really really good.

I guess we can only assume that you'll be motioning in some 2-back sets and maybe a little wildcat?

That would be real nice. What's funny is Mr. (Joe) Washington is always telling me that we ought to put me, Chris and Demarco in the back field and go old-school with three guys in the back field.

On feeling like this team has something to prove after the last three seasons…

I think every year, every team feels like they have something to prove. There are always doubters out there. Go back to last year, when people were saying that Texas should have been there instead of us.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 06:54 PM
lets try something fishy like that in OUr bowl game..

why the hell not?

CK Sooner
8/7/2009, 06:57 PM
lets try something fishy like that in OUr bowl game..

why the hell not?

If we do I think we should do it all season to get set and skilled with it.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 06:59 PM
true, and don't get me wrong, OUr offense is legit as it is.... but it's a regular season offense... we might need to try some things like that ... more often....

you know?

OKC-SLC
8/7/2009, 07:02 PM
I'd just like to score points in our bowl game--something we unfortunately have not done well under Stoops for one reason or another.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 07:03 PM
and it seems like if we do score enough points. (Boise State 42, West Virginia 28)

it seems like the Defense blows it....

this year we will put them both together

CK Sooner
8/7/2009, 07:08 PM
true, and don't get me wrong, OUr offense is legit as it is.... but it's a regular season offense... we might need to try some things like that ... more often....

you know?

Exactly.

Salt City Sooner
8/7/2009, 10:28 PM
DeMarco ran it for a few plays a couple of years ago & then it was to be seen no more. Maybe they're dusting it off......

CK Sooner
8/7/2009, 10:35 PM
DeMarco ran it for a few plays a couple of years ago & then it was to be seen no more. Maybe they're dusting it off......

Did we use it against Kansas State?

goingoneight
8/8/2009, 01:48 AM
Ooh.. .a direct snap ran into a pile of defenders?!?

LET'S DO IT!!!

SoonerKnight
8/8/2009, 02:04 AM
Didn't we do it once where the QB pitched it to the RB then the RB pitched it to the WR and the WR threw it to the QB who in essence caught his own pass for a TD? It was in 2000 or 2001 can't remember..............

Salt City Sooner
8/8/2009, 08:02 AM
Couldn't have been them as we didn't play KSU in '07. I'm pretty sure it was against one of the early peons, either UNT or USU.

Knight, it sounds to me like you're thinking of the fake punt vs. KSU in '01.

OU-HSV
8/8/2009, 08:28 AM
I'd just like to score points in our bowl game--something we unfortunately have not done well under Stoops for one reason or another.

No sh*t..I agree.
Wildcat, tame cat, trickeration, option, spread, Clapp moved out to WR, Madu moved to O-Line.....whatever it takes to outscore whoever we play in OUr next bowl game

Sooner-N-KS
8/8/2009, 08:40 AM

In 2007 they did the Wildcat a couple of times against A&M at home. They may have done it once more against another team, but not much more than that if any.

starrca23
8/8/2009, 08:45 AM
So what you guys are saying is: You want the offense to play better, the defense to play better and us to win in the bowl game.

BRILLIANT!!

starrca23
8/8/2009, 08:46 AM
I couldn't leave my post count on the previous number.

Sooner-N-KS
8/8/2009, 08:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zIVl4CaSEo

Take a look at 2:25, 2:40?

OU-HSV
8/8/2009, 09:16 AM
So what you guys are saying is: You want the offense to play better, the defense to play better and us to win in the bowl game.

BRILLIANT!!

Ding ding ding...winner winner chicken dinner :D

OU-HSV
8/8/2009, 09:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zIVl4CaSEo

Take a look at 2:25, 2:40?

Yeah I remember DM running the "Wildcat" a couple times in one game. Guess overall the coaches didn't like it or something. I kind of like throwing that type of play in on occasion because of the type of playmakers we have in DM, CB, and MM in the backfield.
But let's face it...Sam moves the ball pretty darn well ;) So we could never run the wildcat and I'd be happy enough still

gaylordfan1
8/8/2009, 09:19 AM
Brown, Murray, and Clapp in the backfield with Eldridge and Gresham at each end could have done wonders on the goal line against Florida. Could you imagine the possibilities of plays that could be ran out of that set? Im in... I want to see the Wildcat!

OU-HSV
8/8/2009, 09:19 AM
Brown, Murray, and Clapp in the backfield with Eldridge and Gresham at each end could have done wonders on the goal line against Florida. Could you imagine the possibilities of plays that could be ran out of that set? Im in... I want to see the Wildcat!

I agree, that could have been an opportunity that would have worked well

OKC-SLC
8/8/2009, 09:49 AM
We scored plenty of points last year without the wildcat.

Soonerman08
8/8/2009, 11:34 AM
and it seems like if we do score enough points. (Boise State 42, West Virginia 28)

it seems like the Defense blows it....

this year we will put them both together

The defense didn't so much blow it against Boise until the end. Had it not been for the offense turning the ball over in the redzone and putting us in a hole early, there is no way that Boise would have scored that many point and taken the game to OT.

BoulderSooner79
8/8/2009, 04:54 PM
I'm not a big fan of the wildcat/wildhog. It worked well for Arkansas a couple of years ago because McFadden was a legitimate threat to pass, so they had the defense in a 2-way bind. If the back is just a running threat, the D knows what's coming and can crowd the line. With the no huddle, it's even worse because Sam becomes an (ignored) decoy, so you're playing 10 against 11.

But I do like running some gadget plays. Not because they are likely to work for yardage as much as it keeps the opposing D coordinator up at night worrying about it. It also forces them to use some valuable practice on it and keeps it in the back of the defenders minds which might cause a mistake on a regular play.

Dan Thompson
8/8/2009, 06:55 PM
That's a great idea. A full house backfield and put Sam in motion.

cherokeebrewer
8/9/2009, 06:17 PM
What's funny is Mr. (Joe) Washington is always telling me that we ought to put me, Chris and Demarco in the back field and go old-school with three guys in the back field.

The wishbone lives...

edoom44
8/10/2009, 11:02 AM
we ran it a few times early Sam's freshman year. I can only assume it was because they were just being cute since we has a frosh qb and all. When sam turned out to be amazing they dropped it...
I dont see why we would ever want to run a formation that would take the ball out of the hands of our heisman winner... if hes not back there they will put ten in close and then if you have madu throw... what is the point of that? just let sam throw...

MiccoMacey
8/10/2009, 11:11 AM

It may have something to do witht he fact a defense has over an entire month to prepare for an offense.

It's not an OU thing...I'd be willing to bet ALL offenses score less in their bowl games in most years.

boomermagic
8/10/2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah I remember DM running the "Wildcat" a couple times in one game. Guess overall the coaches didn't like it or something. I kind of like throwing that type of play in on occasion because of the type of playmakers we have in DM, CB, and MM in the backfield.
But let's face it...Sam moves the ball pretty darn well ;) So we could never run the wildcat and I'd be happy enough still

It would have been nice to see us try the wildcat formation when we were down inside florida's 5 yd. line.. I know Damarco was not available but we could have ran it with madu..

goingoneight
8/10/2009, 06:33 PM
If the OL can't block a DT, what makes you think a direct snap would work? That's just a more boring way to lose yardage.