PDA

View Full Version : Sooner NFL Training Camp info

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:26 PM
I hesitate to do this because I know somebody will come in and mess it up...oh well..

Nic Harris- Nic had a good rookie camp a couple of months ago and began training camp as 2nd team strongside linebacker...Probably the only reason he isn't starting is that he is still having problems getting his positioning and leverage against blockers...Coach Jauron said he plays like he was a 4 year starter at linebacker in college.... I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at some point in the season..signed a 4 year deal worth 1.94 Mil

Juaquin Iglesias- Juaquin was the talk of rookie camp a couple of months ago as he showed out often, catching everything thrown his way...He is struggling a lot against the vets now in training camp, and his lack of speed and separation abilities have pushed him down the totem pole...he struggled against bigger, stronger DB's than what he faced in rookie camp....From rookie camp when they were saying he is a sure-fire 3 or possible 2, to now just trying to get on the field..maybe the 3rd string slot receiver...Signed a 4 year deal worth close to 2.4 mil

Phil Loadholt- Phil has definitely found his spot at RT for Minnesota...RT doesn't require the footwork and agility needed at LT, and he has improved his technique greatly through the offseason with the Vikings..Phil admitted that he relied too much on just size at Oklahoma and it got him in trouble often, but he has been working hard on his technique and looks to have the starting spot nailed down at Minnesota....4 years, 3.43 mil with some guaranteed

Duke Robinson- Carolina is returning all 5 starters, so Duke is seeing time with the 2nd team and 3rd team O-Line....The Panther O-line was decimated with injuries last season, so it doesnt rule out the possibility of getting on the field..Training camp started Monday for Duke, so I'll watch to see whats going on there...As far as his abilities go, thats not an issue..Some close to the franchise think he is a year away from being a starter...Its just the same song with Duke that its always been...His weight and conditioning..signed a 4 year deal worth 2.6 mil

Jon Cooper- I like Jon Cooper, and I think he was one of the more skilled centers available in the draft. He just doesn't have the ideal size to play center in the NFL. Minnesota lacks talent at the position, however, so if he is going to make a roster, it would be there..I honestly don't have any idea on whats going to happen with him, so I'm looking forward to watching him in the pre season....

Lendy Holmes-Its gonna be tough for Lendy to make the 'Skins considering both starters and backups are back at the safety positions. One thing that makes me think he has an outside chance, however, is how hard this dude is working to make the team. He pretty much has stayed at their facilities working non stop on learning the playbook and improving his skill set. Possibly may get one of those last spots as a special teamer.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:27 PM
Manuel Johnson- Johnson had some good moments in the OTA's and stands a good chance at getting one of final roster spots, probably as a special teamer. I recall him catching a couple of Stephen McGee passes that really impressed the coaches and then beating Mike Jenkins, last years first round pick, on 3 consecutive passes..

Travis Wilson- Cut by the Cowboys..Rough off season with his brother's accident and knee surgery earlier in the summer..Travis also did himself no favors with his attitude, that pretty much ended his days in Cleveland, but I guess his brother's issues may have brought him down to earth a bit...I was sure pulling for him to make the roster so he could be close to his family...Havent heard what he is doing at this moment.

Allen Patrick- Interesting summer for AP...He leaves Cleveland and shows up at the Jets rookie camp....AP had a fantastic camp there, some saying he was the best athlete on the field, and looked like he was going to be a Jet...The Jets, however, didn't put him under contract, and a rep from the Giants shows up and signs him to a deal..The problem for AP is that its going to be harder to make the Giants roster than the Jets and its really going to take a couple of injuries or some act of God for him to make the final 53....probably another practice squad for Patrick

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:28 PM
Malcolm Kelly is competing with 2 other receivers for the 2 spot opposite Santana Moss for the Skins....Malcolm is behind the curve with the battling of injuries, and still needs to improve greatly on his routes...but he has been making somes of those catches he made while at Oklahoma that has really impressed Coach Zorn..He made a nice play on DeAngelo Hall, a pro bowl corner, and brought one in that nobody else would have got close...but about every time he gets through a play, coaches are pulling him aside to correct him...

It seems he is a favorite target on the last plays of practice..from a blogger

Last play, Campbell tosses a high-arching pass to Malcolm Kelly in the end zone. Classic fade pass that uses Kelly?s 6-4 height. Kelly fended off the defender and falling to the ground, held on to the ball. Out of bounds, though. Incomplete. After the play, Kelly earned praise from Campbell and offensive assistant Chris Meidt for his impressive athleticism. Just a slight adjustment, and next time that?s a big play.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 03:28 PM
nice, keep us updated please..

any word on Manny ?

edit: thanks

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:29 PM
More on Kelly

Zorn On Kelly

Jim Zorn praised Malcolm Kelly after Saturday?s practice and made note of the play he made on the end zone fade pass from Jason Campbell.

"I saw him flash on several occasions," Zorn said. "What a big target he can be. We ran a red zone drill and had him go up for the ball. Now he caught it out of bounds, but just the effort, the concentration on the ball and the snag out of the air--that?s what we?re looking for.

"As he becomes more comfortable running down the field and making breaks, we?ll see more and more of him."

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:29 PM
Branndon Braxton- BB is turning a lot of heads in Cleveland..Another undrafted guy who is working hard and improving everyday...He has a good chance of making the team...He is showing improving footwork and working on using his leverage better than just raw strength..

JD Runnels-JD is currently listed as the 2nd team fullback for training camp.Not much news on him, but I imagine if he maintains the number 2 spot, he'll make the roster.I saw a picture of him blocking for Cedric Benson and I threw up in my mouth

Roy Williams- Well I guess Roy has heard the naysayers long enough...He has dropped his weight down to 217 and has looked quite good in pass coverage, picking off Carson Palmer for a pick 6 the first day, and has done ok keeping things in front of him...He's thrown down a couple of classic TRRW hits and is listed with the first team D...But the competition he is in probably will go down to the last day of camp

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:30 PM
Marcus Walker- MW is competing for a nickel or dime back position with 4 others...A year in the system definitely helped him and has been on the field at times with the 1st team D...has covered well so far in camp

Reggie Smith- The 49ers have moved Reggie to safety after realizing he doesn't have the stuff to be a NFL corner....He is competing for a starting job right now, and has been making plays...He doesnt have much competition, so hopefully he'll get on the field this year.

Brandon Jones- The 49ers showed a lot of confidence in Brandon, signing him to a 5 year, 16.5 mil dollar deal...and with Crabtree holding out, he has had a great training camp showing what he can do..he is currently playing in front of Isaac Bruce..Making tough catches, and considered one of the offensive MVPs of camp so far...Too bad SF has the worst quarterbacks in the league

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:31 PM
Joe Jon Finley-Currently listed as the 4th team TE for the 49ers...Not likely to make the roster there

Donte Nicholson-Quietly competing for the starting job in Tampa Bay..Not likely, but he is playing well, returning a INT for 6 in Monday's practice...Maybe him getting tasered made him a bit faster

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:31 PM
CJ Ah You- CJ is currently listed as a 3rd team DE...meaning barring injuries, back to the practice squad

Larry Birdine- Cellar dwellar among a darn good group of DEs for the Titans...Not likely to make a roster

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:34 PM
two things that stick out so far:

Malcolm Kelly getting back to form and so far, A rebirth of Roy Williams in Cincy....I think the weight loss has really helped him out a lot and showed he isn't going to fade into the sunset like I predicted...

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:35 PM
Lewis Baker-Cut by the 49ers...probably done

Mark Clayton- I don't know that MC's career will ever be what it could be..injuries, injuries, injuries...He started off camp well, catching everything in sight, but now appears is out a few weeks with a hamstring injury

OU-HSV
8/7/2009, 03:36 PM
Don't mean to interrupt...but here's the latest on Brandon Jones...bad news:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4384230

Jones sidelined with shoulder fracture

ESPN.com news services

San Francisco 49ers receiver Brandon Jones is expected to miss two months because of a small fracture in his right shoulder, coach Mike Singletary said Friday.

Jones
Jones was injured during Thursday's late practice trying to make a diving catch while all alone in the end zone during 7-on-7 work. He will not need shoulder surgery, Singletary said.

Jones' absence is another reduction to the 49ers' receiving corps, with the well-publicized holdout of rookie Michael Crabtree.

Singletary said Friday he remains focused on the players who are in camp for the 49ers and isn't busy worrying when Crabtree, their top pick, finally will show up for his first practice.

"He needs to get his butt here and help this team out," tight end Vernon Davis told ESPN's Colleen Dominguez. "He has a chance to be a big-time player. He should take what he can get and get here."

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 03:36 PM
hows AD doing??? does he start??

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:44 PM
hows AD doing??? does he start??

I know they are trying to incorporate him more into the passing game, but its not going so well...in fact its terrible..partly the quarterbacks, partly him...he just isn't the smoothest receiver but he's never really had to be

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 03:45 PM
think they trade up in the draft next year? kinda like the Jets did?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:50 PM
Remi Ayodele-Currently the 5th DT for the Saints meaning.....not likely to make the 53 man rotation

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 03:52 PM
lol, STEP, check out Walters *2011* NFL mock draft..

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:52 PM
think they trade up in the draft next year? kinda like the Jets did?

nope...Unless Childress is gone after this season..Not saying he is the reason they wont, but he is in a win-now mode, and isn't wanting to wait on the development of a rookie QB..which is why they made no draft moves this year and tried to sign Favre

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 03:56 PM
lol, STEP, check out Walters *2011* NFL mock draft..

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

Always several mocks with wide receivers going #1....Its been 25 years since a wr went 1st, Julio Jones isn't gonna end that streak

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 04:03 PM
Eric Bassey- probably will make the Rams roster as a ST player..he has done well in that area, and will see some time probably as a backup

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 04:16 PM
Dusty Dvoracek-This is do or die time for Dusty...Not a question of ability.....Injuries, injuries, injuries....and the during the times he has been hurt, other players have stepped into his role...The Bears D-line struggled with injuries and didnt do well, but they aren't going to give him the job unless he earns it

badger
8/7/2009, 05:11 PM
Any hope on Travis Wilson making a roster?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 06:24 PM
I don't think so.. Dallas is so void of wr talent that making there was probably his best shot..injuries happen so anything could happen..maybe he can give No a try.. I think Houston is full.. KC is another place he should try....I think he would like to stay in this part of the country to be close to his brother

badger
8/7/2009, 07:58 PM
So... the Hall 'o Fame game is apparently coming up... who's playing and will there be any Sooner alums in it?

thatmediadude
8/7/2009, 08:27 PM
Anything on Lehman?

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 08:29 PM
just running in picks!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 08:49 PM
Anything on Lehman?

Teddy is done unless he does something late... Injuries injuries

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 09:18 PM
So... the Hall 'o Fame game is apparently coming up... who's playing and will there be any Sooner alums in it?

Bills and titans... Nic Harris plays Sunday

Aries
8/8/2009, 10:43 PM
Eric Bassey (Rams) injured his knee and may be out for the season.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/08/knee-injury-for-rams-s-eric-bassey-could-be-season-ending/

Knee injury for Rams S Eric Bassey could be season-ending
By Jim Thomas
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
There was no official word from the Rams on Saturday, but indications were that safety Eric Bassey’s knee injury was serious and could be season-ending.

In both 2007 and 2008, Bassey worked his way up from the practice squad to appear in 18 regular-season games for St. Louis. He showed some promise on special teams, recording 25 special teams tackles in those two seasons.

But Bassey’s quest to make the ‘09 Rams roster may have ended Friday night. The third-year player from the University of Oklahoma suffered a knee injury in the team scrimmage at Lindenwood University. Bassey finished the evening sitting on a bench with his right knee wrapped on the sideline, crutches nearby.

Following the scrimmage, coach Steve Spagnuolo canceled Saturday’s practice, making it a short work day for the players at Rams Park. They lifted weights and watched film of the scrimmage, and then headed out.

badger
8/9/2009, 04:41 PM
Bills and titans... Nic Harris plays Sunday

I wonder if we'll see Wonderlic fighting for his job? lol :D

The game starts 7 p.m. Oklahoma time on NBC, right?

ndpruitt03
8/9/2009, 05:29 PM
Curtis Lofton had been out for a while with a hamstring injury.

Curtis Lofton close to a return
After spending much of the first week of training camp with trainers, Smith said Lofton is progressing well and could be ready soon.

"Curtis, I think is getting closer," the head coach said following Friday morning's practice. "If it were in the season and we were closer to a game, I think it would be a different situation in terms of getting him back."

While Lofton has been out, the seven-year veteran Tony Gilbert has seen most of the snaps with the first team at middle linebacker.

Despite that, the team would like to get Lofton back soon, he figures to be one of the key figures on Atlanta's retooled defense.

"We anticipate that he'll be getting back. We'd like to get him back as quickly as possible," Smith said.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/9/2009, 10:47 PM
Re: Hall of Fame game...

Vince Young was 1-of-5 for 13 yards and an interception, nearly dropped a shotgun snap and looked hesitant running the ball when he was easily caught from behind by rookie linebacker Nic Harris

ouleaf
8/9/2009, 11:14 PM
That's a pretty nice contract for Brandon Jones....sucks to see the injury note about him though....hope he can make in impact this year.

Also good news about TRRW getting serious about his 2nd chance with Cincy. Wish he could still be here in Dallas, but it sounds like he is going to be more comfortable back in Zimmer's defense. Hope we get to see a lot of him on Hard Knocks.

EnragedOUfan
8/10/2009, 01:08 AM
Is it me, or does it seem like most OU players in the NFL are going down to injuries? I wonder if there is a certain drill in the strength and conditioning camp that is unknowingly putting the players at risk.

Sirus
8/10/2009, 01:25 AM
Is it me, or does it seem like most OU players in the NFL are going down to injuries? I wonder if there is a certain drill in the strength and conditioning camp that is unknowingly putting the players at risk.

No, It's not just you. I have known this for some time myself but have blamed it on some curse. Whatever that curse would be, I have no clue.

badger
8/10/2009, 08:15 AM

We just notice OU alums more because... well, we're Sooner fans. I'm sure fans of other schools say the same thing about their athletes, asking the same "They were stars when they were at our school, but why are they getting injured, getting buried on the depth chart, getting cut from the roster, getting booed, etc. in the NFL?"

The NFL's tough and can cripple the nation's best athletes. At least our athletes have been getting injured on the field in practice or in games and not doing stupid stuff like learning how to ride a motorcycle without a helmet :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
8/10/2009, 08:38 AM
Re: Hall of Fame game...

Vince Young was 1-of-5 for 13 yards and an interception, nearly dropped a shotgun snap and looked hesitant running the ball when he was easily caught from behind by rookie linebacker Nic Harris

Nic ended up with 3 tackles and I thought he played pretty well, including tackling VY for a loss, and made a couple of stops in the run game, which is where he needs most work....

Looked like Nic had an ou shirt on underneath his jersey

DMAFB_Sooner08
8/10/2009, 08:46 AM
Teddy is done unless he does something late... Injuries injuries

Looks like he is gonna try out the UFL along with Brandon Moore.

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/sports/local_story_221011217.html

Fort Gibson native Teddy Lehman has surfaced again in the professional football ranks.

Lehman signed late last week a contract with the new United Football League and the Las Vegas franchise. The linebacker and past winner of the Butkus and Bednarik awards as college football’s top linebacker and defensive player, was one of two former Oklahoma Sooners to sign with the team, the other being linebacker Brandon Moore.

Lehman was a second-round draft choice by the Detroit Lions in 2004. Various injuries plagued him after a solid rookie season and Lehman had stops in Tampa Bay, back in Detroit and in Buffalo before being waived last season.

The United Football League is a new professional football league that will kick-off its premiere season this October with four teams in seven cities. The Las Vegas franchise will formally announce its team name and unveil its uniforms this week.

badger
8/10/2009, 08:56 AM
Nic ended up with 3 tackles and I thought he played pretty well, including tackling VY for a loss, and made a couple of stops in the run game, which is where he needs most work....

Looked like Nic had an ou shirt on underneath his jersey

I think the fact that Nic didn't play the second half is very telling - that he is a shoo-in for a roster spot so long as he doesn't do anything stupid.

Birdine, our other Sooner in the HoF game, had some good plays as well, but the moment of the night was Fumbles McScramble trying to act like the VY the Whorn and Nic Harris going all Sooner on him. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/10/2009, 09:01 AM
oh Nic is 100 percent in unless something crazy happens...

LB had his moments but he is on a team loaded at the position...

badger
8/10/2009, 10:39 AM
It was the same situation when he made his NFL start with the Packers... he requested to be cut so that he could go to a team with less DE's... unfortunately, that's usually a long shelf life position in the NFL, much like OL, right? Maybe with the economy tanking, the professional world postponing retirement extends to professional athletes?

Bourbon St Sooner
8/10/2009, 11:58 AM
Remi Ayodele-Currently the 5th DT for the Saints meaning.....not likely to make the 53 man rotation

I saw a quote in the local paper this weekend from the DL coach that sounded like they were pretty high in Remi. It's hard to tell this early, but the coach did single him out when talking about the DL prospects. Remi's listed as 2nd string on this depth chart.

http://stats.nola.com/fb/teamstats.asp?yr=2007&tm=18&submit=Go&type=depthcharts

badger
8/10/2009, 12:40 PM
Remi's listed as 2nd string on this depth chart.

Remi! Now THERE is a sharp dressed man... a nice guy too. He gave tons of kids (and me) autographs at Red-White.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/10/2009, 02:20 PM
I saw a quote in the local paper this weekend from the DL coach that sounded like they were pretty high in Remi. It's hard to tell this early, but the coach did single him out when talking about the DL prospects. Remi's listed as 2nd string on this depth chart.

http://stats.nola.com/fb/teamstats.asp?yr=2007&tm=18&submit=Go&type=depthcharts

Looking at their DT situation, its not a great group and he could move in and claim a spot for sure....Just the listing I had wasn't by depth chart but by DT ranking.....It had

1. Ellis
2. Clancy
3. Pressly
4. Coleman
5. Remi...

Good thing for Remi is there isn't a large gap in talent between him and 3, so he could make a move

Salt City Sooner
8/10/2009, 05:10 PM
Cincy cut J.D. today.

badger
8/11/2009, 07:26 AM
Cincy cut J.D. today.

Cincy is Dead. To. Me. :mad:

:les: BUNGALS! [hairGel]

Salt City Sooner
8/11/2009, 09:31 AM
Roy's still there (currently running 1st team, in fact). ;)

badger
8/11/2009, 09:39 AM
Roy's still there (currently running 1st team, in fact). ;)

J.D. Runnels was the nicest guy in the world and I almost caved to NP when he wanted to get a JD jersey when he was with the Bears... almost.

Roy Williams is Superman and thus will make it with any team. Thus, the Cincy Bengals can do whatever they want with him and he will land on his feet after flying faster than a speeding bullet to his next NFL team. J.D. on the other hand has struggled to stay on rosters I am disappointed by this roster move.

Dead. To. Me. :mad:

OULenexaman
8/11/2009, 12:43 PM
I just love the way the Bears lie about everything all the time...when Lovie's lips move.....which isn't often during games....he is lying....every damn time...

Harris reveals knee surgery
Now we know why DT hasn't been on field: Arthroscopic work on knee back in March
BY BRAD BIGGS [email protected]
BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Reports of Tommie Harris' good health have been greatly exaggerated.

The durability of the defensive tackle was one of the biggest questions facing the Bears coming into training camp, and the biggest mystery has been why he has been suited up to do nothing on the practice field.

''The hardest thing is, knowing how political this business is, and having to wear pads and sit on the sideline acting like I'm going out there and different stuff like that,'' Harris said Monday. ''But it's a bit frustrating, but I'm going to hang in there and just see how it plays out.''

He ended speculation when he revealed he underwent arthroscopic surgery on his chronically bothersome left knee in March, and said he suffered a hamstring injury since arriving. Harris said the hamstring is what has had him sidelined for a week now in full gear -- DonJoy knee brace, shoulder pads, the works.

Coach Lovie Smith, who said Saturday at Soldier Field that Harris would practice Monday, said the knee is a little sore. Both stories add up to Harris not being on the field. Both men said he'll try again today, but he's unlikely to play in the preseason opener Saturday at Buffalo.

''Tommie's coming off dealing with different injuries and stuff,'' Smith said. ''But we still feel good about him.''

Regardless, it's not the kind of start to the summer the Bears were looking for from their three-time Pro Bowler, who is supposed to return to dominant form under new line coach Rod Marinelli. Instead, there will be concerns that Harris never will be right this season.

A bad knee can lead to a bad hamstring. It's a vicious cycle, and at 26, entering his sixth season, Harris has been through a lot. He required surgery for an avulsion to reattach the left hamstring to the pelvis in December 2006. Thirteen months later, he underwent arthroscopic surgery in his left knee. It's the same knee that plagued him last season when he was forced to sit out a game because of injury and was suspended one game for conduct detrimental to the team for routinely being late and missing rehab sessions.

When he did play, Harris struggled at times last season -- and the line as a whole generated little in the way of a pass rush, contributing to the Bears having the third-worst pass defense in the league.

Throw in cornerback Charles Tillman's recovery from back surgery, and again there is reason for concern about the unit.

''I guess it's just rest,'' Harris said. ''I had surgery in March, so I didn't get a chance to do a lot of stuff that the teammates were doing -- so they're far ahead of me, so I'm really just starting to catch up.

''I'm frustrated. I would love to be out there, but I do so much in the weight room and all the training and all the other stuff that you guys don't see. I just show up, man, and listen to what they say and I trust and believe in what they're saying, and hopefully it just plays out.''

Harris said the March surgery was to determine why the knee was ailing, and all that was discovered was ''some scar tissue and stuff from the other surgery. No, we're just playing it by ear.''

He is a unique athlete who plays the signature position in the scheme as the under tackle. It's hard to play the Tampa-2 scheme without a dominant force at the position. Israel Idonije, who dropped close to 40 pounds down to 265, has been in Harris' place. The team hopes third-round pick Jarron Gilbert will prove good enough to be in the rotation.

As an isolated occurrence, Harris' hamstring injury isn't a big deal. But looking at the season as a whole, you wonder if it's just the first thing to go wrong.

''Definitely, I have confidence in myself, a lot in my knee, my whole body,'' Harris said. ''I've been playing on one leg and everything. I can play this game; I have confidence.

''It's a mentality, and that's the hardest thing -- to go out there and to know to get your mind ready for a practice or different things that you're used to, just going out and having fun. I'm just hanging in there.''

''Tommie's coming off dealing with different injuries and stuff. But we still feel good about him.'' --LOVIE SMITH, Bears coach :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Collier11
8/15/2009, 01:25 AM
MK had 3 catches lastnite, Mark Clayton didnt play I dont think, Reggie had a pick

SanJoaquinSooner
8/15/2009, 01:57 AM
did jon cooper play in the vikings game?

SanJoaquinSooner
8/15/2009, 09:10 AM
In case you missed it, Reggie Smith had two INTs in the SF vs Denver game. He picked off Kyle Orton (but so did everyone else) and Crissy Simms.

IronHorseSooner
8/15/2009, 09:12 AM
did jon cooper play in the vikings game?

I couldn't tell, but it looked like Big Phil had a good game. AD was in the first series, and then I didn't see him again. Smart move on the Vikes part.

badger
8/15/2009, 05:43 PM
Neffel's next game today is Bills vs. Bears at 6 p.m. Oklahoma time.

Bears have Iggy, Tommie and Dusty.
Bills still have Nic Harris.

Teams will have to be down to a 75-player limit soon, but the worst cuts are yet to come when teams have to be down to 53 by the start of the season, I think.

In any event, there's only two teams I root for in the NFL - the Sooners and Packers. Since the Packers aren't on TV right now, goooo Sooners! :D

EDIT: 75-man limit is Sept. 1. Sept. 5 is the final 53-man roster, with up to 8 on the practice squad.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/15/2009, 07:34 PM
OK, I asked Jon Cooper's mom over on another board, and she said Jon played the second half of Friday's Vikings game. She said "he did OK but not great". Just can't please mom I guess.

Collier11
8/15/2009, 07:36 PM
Nic Harris has a sack tonight already

badger
8/15/2009, 07:46 PM
Nic Harris has a sack tonight already

So did Dusty... heh :D

(I add "heh" because the QB had already thrown the ball and thus, a 15-yard penalty followed for Dusty's late hit. However, it was an awesome play that I'm sure DD's been waiting a few years to do in the pros, so kudos to him... and the Bills had an INT a few plays later, so it seemed to fire up the Bears D)

OU-HSV
8/15/2009, 08:09 PM
Today was my fantasy football draft for one of the leagues I'm in. The lone kicker I took was Garrett Hartley...for 3 reasons, the Saints are going to put up points this year, he's a former Sooner, and some stuff I was reading said he's a definite sleeper kicker.

And just for fun I picked up Iglesias with my 16th round pick. Has anyone heard how he's been doing with the Bears?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/15/2009, 08:54 PM
iglesias is moving down the depth chart...the knox kid they drafted is wowing the coaches while Iggy is struggling

OU-HSV
8/15/2009, 08:58 PM
iglesias is moving down the depth chart...the knox kid they drafted is wowing the coaches while Iggy is struggling

Yeah but after I posted that, I just looked at his stats tonight. 1 catch 10 yards 1 td. That's not too shabby for having one catch :D

JLEW1818
8/15/2009, 09:05 PM
my houston boys looked good tonight... first team O and D was great.

we get AD next week, we will take it easy on him.... i still love him.

badger
8/15/2009, 09:12 PM
The QB that was throwing to Iggy was sh!t. Iggy also had two kickoff returns - one awful where he flubbed the ball (no fumble, but no yards really) and one that he returned half the field back for without any holding calls or anything.

The Knox guy performed not-well in the game - he was the cause of one the sh!t QB's interceptions (one of three, heh) by bobbling the ball. I don't remember Knox having any standout plays... not like TD like Juaquin... I probably spelled his name wrong.

I am not sure if he'll make the roster, but he looked better than some of the guys out there tonight. Too bad they didn't broadcast the Packer game here :(

JLEW1818
8/15/2009, 09:13 PM
wow check this video out

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/07/santonio-holmes-fantasy-files-commercial/

stoops the eternal pimp
8/15/2009, 09:19 PM
Iggy will make the team..it's just he has slid down the charts since the first of ota's..

Collier11
8/15/2009, 09:53 PM
nice TD tonight for Iggy

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 09:56 PM
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/jlew1818/jj.jpg

Johnny Utah
8/19/2009, 09:13 PM
Curtis Lofton quickly becoming the leader of the Atlanta Falcons defense (in only his 2nd season). Good article in the local fishwrap, and from here it is pretty clear that the Falcon brass, coaches and community are all big supporters of #40 ... err #50.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2009/08/18/lofton-on-the-falcons-d-weve-upgraded-at-every-position/

mOUse
8/19/2009, 09:38 PM
I love NFL network! Every game recorded on ATT UVERSE! So after watching all of the 1st weeks games...I think Loadholt, Harris and Patrick had some outstanding moments (Patricks blocking has really improved) and Robinson did ok but looked winded. I fear Iglesias might fall on the depth chart too, but i wonder if the likes of dallas and Minesota might pick him up. I think they are a little shallow. GREAT TO SEE KELLY GREGG back in action...dude is a key part of Baltimores D!

Boomer Sooner!

mOUse
8/19/2009, 10:05 PM
Oh and how about Reggie smith and Larry Birdine! Great games! Also Malcomb Kelly had a couple of good catches. I'm really encouraged by how our Sooners are doing.

Collier11
8/23/2009, 08:47 PM
Reggie Smith continues his good camp with a fumble recovery yesterday to go along with this two ints the game before, cant hurt a later rounder like Smith.

Dusty had a sack and seems to be playing well

Collier11
8/23/2009, 08:47 PM
STEP...do you have any new news on some of the fringe guys?

Do you think The Saints will keep Hartley even if he gets suspended?

Curly Bill
8/23/2009, 08:56 PM
Reggie Smith continues his good camp with a fumble recovery yesterday to go along with this two ints the game before, cant hurt a later rounder like Smith.

Was it his own fumble that he recovered? ;) ;)

JLEW1818
8/23/2009, 08:59 PM
Was it his own fumble that he recovered? ;) ;)

HA

Collier11
8/23/2009, 09:40 PM
LOL! Zing!

BoulderSooner79
8/23/2009, 10:32 PM
If Hartley can kick, he'll be fine - with the Saints or elsewhere. If he really wasn't having a good camp, then that is the bigger concern than the suspension (unless it happens again).

the_ouskull
8/23/2009, 11:41 PM
Phil Loadholt- Phil has definitely found his spot at RT for Minnesota...RT doesn't require the footwork and agility needed at LT, and he has improved his technique greatly through the offseason with the Vikings..Phil admitted that he relied too much on just size at Oklahoma and it got him in trouble often, but he has been working hard on his technique and looks to have the starting spot nailed down at Minnesota....4 years, 3.43 mil with some guaranteed

Duke Robinson- Carolina is returning all 5 starters, so Duke is seeing time with the 2nd team and 3rd team O-Line....The Panther O-line was decimated with injuries last season, so it doesnt rule out the possibility of getting on the field..Training camp started Monday for Duke, so I'll watch to see whats going on there...As far as his abilities go, thats not an issue..Some close to the franchise think he is a year away from being a starter...Its just the same song with Duke that its always been...His weight and conditioning..signed a 4 year deal worth 2.6 mil

If their give-a-sh*tters weren't broken in college, we win a championship with them. Especially Loadholt.

the_ouskull

kbsooner
8/24/2009, 08:57 AM
Dvoracek out for 4th straight season. The OU curse is strong...

Da Bears Blog (http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/da-bears-blog/2009/08/dvoracek-out-for-season.html)

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 09:00 AM
Dvoracek out for 4th straight season. The OU curse is strong...

Da Bears Blog (http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/da-bears-blog/2009/08/dvoracek-out-for-season.html)

At least he is still bringing in the mulah.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2009, 09:01 AM
dvoracek will be cut and is probably done in the NFL...read my earlier post..this was a make it or break it year...

I think Hartley will have a job because of what he did last season....and the Saints learned a lesson last season in that a consistent kicker does not come by as easily as it used to....

badger
8/24/2009, 09:06 AM
Dusty D also got fined by the NFL (http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/08/nfl_slaps_7500_fine_on_dusty_d.html)... will the fine get canceled if he gets cut?

I remember seeing that hit and just thinking that Dusty just had to do that because he had waited so long to get to a pro quarterback and he just needed to get that hit in after waiting so long... and now, another d@mn injury.

I feel bad for the guy. I hope that he comes back and tries again next season, even if isn't with da bears

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2009, 11:50 AM
STEP...do you have any new news on some of the fringe guys?

Do you think The Saints will keep Hartley even if he gets suspended?

OK, I started a long post and lost it, so here is a shorter version of that post

Iggy-Doing better, but still probably the 5th receiver..The Bears are likely to keep 5, maybe 6 on the roster, so he'll make the team...just wont see the field much except for special teams

Birdine-Playing well in the preseason games, but still an uphill battle with all the returning DE's the Titans have..One thing he is working against is his main competitors for the last roster spots can also play DT, which at 265, isn't something Birdine can do well at that level

Ah You-Same as Birdine, lots of DEs to compete against...nothing that stands out for him so far, so another practice squad likely

Lendy- I like his chances less than I did a few weeks ago...Getting burned a lot in practice, and with 4 safeties returning, isn't gonna crack into the 2nd string...

Manny-After impressing coaches early, he hasn't been making much of a buzz...The Cowboys will also probably keep 5 receivers, and I think Manny is going to be the odd man out with the Cowboys keeping

1. TFRW
2. Crayton
3. Austin
4. Ogletree
5. Stanback

Jon Cooper- Still in the mix to make the roster...The Vikings have nothing at the position...right now is playing as the 2nd team center...one thing working against him though is that backups in the NFL typically have to be able to play more than one position...I don't think he can move over to guard at this level...I still wouldn't be surprised if they didn't keep him around

more later

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2009, 12:14 PM
Marcus Walker- was having a great camp til Percy Harvin showed up....Poor Marcus has been abused several times since his arrival...right now Marcus would be the 4th corner on the roster

badger
8/24/2009, 12:17 PM
Let's make things easy on poor ol' STEP, shall we? :D

Via ESPN...
C.J. Ah You Defensive End St. Louis Rams
Remi Ayodele Defensive Tackle New Orleans Saints
Eric Bassey Safety St. Louis Rams
Larry Birdine Defensive End Tennessee Titans
Mark Bradley Wide Receiver Kansas City Chiefs
Jammal Brown Offensive Tackle New Orleans Saints
Chris Chester Center Baltimore Ravens
Mark Clayton Wide Receiver Baltimore Ravens
Jon Cooper Center Minnesota Vikings
Dusty Dvoracek Defensive Tackle Chicago Bears
J.J. Finley Tight End San Francisco 49ers
Kelly Gregg Defensive Tackle Baltimore Ravens
Nic Harris Linebacker Buffalo Bills
Tommie Harris Defensive Tackle Chicago Bears
Garrett Hartley Place kicker New Orleans Saints
Lendy Holmes Cornerback Washington Redskins
Juaquin Iglesias Wide Receiver Chicago Bears
Clint Ingram Linebacker Jacksonville Jaguars
Corey Ivy Cornerback Cleveland Browns
Manuel Johnson Wide Receiver Dallas Cowboys
Brandon Jones Wide Receiver San Francisco 49ers
Davin Joseph Guard Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Malcolm Kelly Wide Receiver Washington Redskins
Phil Loadholt Offensive Tackle Minnesota Vikings
Curtis Lofton Linebacker Atlanta Falcons
Donte Nicholson Safety Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Allen Patrick Running Back New York Giants
Adrian Peterson Running Back Minnesota Vikings
Brodney Pool Safety Cleveland Browns
Duke Robinson Guard Carolina Panthers
J.D. Runnels Fullback Cincinnati Bengals
Reggie Smith Cornerback San Francisco 49ers
Marcus Walker Cornerback Minnesota Vikings
Jimmy Wilkerson Defensive End Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Roy L. Williams Safety Cincinnati Bengals
Travis Wilson Wide Receiver Dallas Cowboys

The OU alums, their teams (wow is this outdated, eh?) and their positions. To make things especially easy on STEP to analyze each and their hopes of making an NFL roster, but of course :D

If you want to split the list up, I'd be happy to take the bottom half, or whenver you wanna stop :)

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/24/2009, 12:24 PM
This makes me long for the John Blake years when one person could have handled the 3 players...hold up..I don't miss that **** at all

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2009, 12:27 PM
Go for it Badj..whatever you would like...a lot of that list could be eliminated because

1. There is no debating they are making their team(AD,Tommy, etc)
2. They are already cut

badger
8/24/2009, 12:33 PM
Ok then, let's start with the players that are sure to make rosters, without a doubt:

Would you add to or subtract from this list? Remember, these are shoo-ins only for the main roster. I'll do the probably/questionable/doubtful/already cut lists later... because, well, offseason looms. :pop:

Collier11
8/24/2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks as always Step, ill rub yer lower back later

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 01:12 PM
Reggie Smith has been impressive the the 49ers 2 games. I think he is close to a lock of making the roster.

Heavy_D33
8/24/2009, 03:32 PM
Hey guys. First ever post here. I'm in N.C. keeping up with the Panthers. Barring some unforseen circumstances, you could add Duke Robinson's name to the "probably" list. I would venture that he may be starting at some point this season when injury or fatigue play a part, but for now is listed as second string. The only disappointment with him thus far was his early on weight and conditioning. Hopefully he now has that under control.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2009, 03:37 PM
hey heavy...good to have ya around

right on with duke..its just a matter of which duke shows up each day for practice...

Boulder, the move back to safety for Reggie Smith was the key....he just isn't cut out to be an NFL corner...

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2009, 03:38 PM
Ok then, let's start with the players that are sure to make rosters, without a doubt:

Would you add to or subtract from this list? Remember, these are shoo-ins only for the main roster. I'll do the probably/questionable/doubtful/already cut lists later... because, well, offseason looms. :pop:

thats a good list..probably some other guys are 99.9 percent likely to make it but those guys on your list are all well established pros...

badger
8/24/2009, 03:53 PM
OK, since there are very few disputes to the LOCK list, let's do the PROBABLE (probably, heh) list next...

Mark Bradley Wide Receiver Kansas City Chiefs
Chris Chester Center Baltimore Ravens
Clint Ingram Linebacker Jacksonville Jaguars
Brandon Jones Wide Receiver San Francisco 49ers
Malcolm Kelly Wide Receiver Washington Redskins
Duke Robinson Guard Carolina Panthers

Bradley is currently a 2nd stringer and they don't usually cut 2nd stringers, unless they bring in a better free agent, which I don't see happening at this point. Chester is slightly injured at the moment, but has taken snaps with the Ravens first team. Harris is a Bills backup, but has had some good stats. Iggy was taken in the third round, which makes his roster-making chances better regardless of his immediate on-field production. Ingram's a Jag starter, but was dinged in a preseason game, probably not serious. Ivy had some good plays as a Browns DB versus the Lions, so he's probably in. I don't foresee anything keeping MK off the 'Skins roster, except perhaps attitude or injury issues... so he's almost a lock as-is. Donte is the Bucs backup safety, but he had a little undisclosed injury as of late, but he's still probably in. Duke probable/probably, just because our new Panthers insider says so, heh. Reggie's been pretty good for the Niners in the preseason, so we'll probably see more of him in the Neffel.

Ok, read em and weep - how did I do for probable/probably? Questionable, doubtful and cutting board are still to come. These are guys that unless they suck the rest of the camp are in... the guys who still need to turn heads will be coming up next.

EDIT: Added Jones, but he can't be a "lock" because he's injured. Sorry, baj's policy :)

Collier11
8/24/2009, 03:55 PM
OK, since there are very few disputes to the LOCK list, let's do the PROBABLE (probably, heh) list next...

Mark Bradley Wide Receiver Kansas City Chiefs LOCK
Chris Chester Center Baltimore Ravens LOCK
Clint Ingram Linebacker Jacksonville Jaguars LOCK
Malcolm Kelly Wide Receiver Washington Redskins LOCK
Duke Robinson Guard Carolina Panthers LOCK

Bradley is currently a 2nd stringer and they don't usually cut 2nd stringers, unless they bring in a better free agent, which I don't see happening at this point. Chester is slightly injured at the moment, but has taken snaps with the Ravens first team. Harris is a Bills backup, but has had some good stats. Iggy was taken in the third round, which makes his roster-making chances better regardless of his immediate on-field production. Ingram's a Jag starter, but was dinged in a preseason game, probably not serious. Ivy had some good plays as a Browns DB versus the Lions, so he's probably in. I don't foresee anything keeping MK off the 'Skins roster, except perhaps attitude or injury issues... so he's almost a lock as-is. Donte is the Bucs backup safety, but he had a little undisclosed injury as of late, but he's still probably in. Duke probable/probably, just because our new Panthers insider says so, heh. Reggie's been pretty good for the Niners in the preseason, so we'll probably see more of him in the Neffel.

Ok, read em and weep - how did I do for probable/probably? Questionable, doubtful and cutting board are still to come. These are guys that unless they suck the rest of the camp are in... the guys who still need to turn heads will be coming up next.

I corrected a few for ya

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2009, 03:57 PM
Good..I looked over your first list again...Brandon Jones shoud be in the "in" group..Brodney also

I would include Hartley in the probable

badger
8/24/2009, 04:01 PM
I would make Hartley questionable just because of the suspension...unless they lift the suspension, which isn't probable. :P

My bad on omitting Brandon Jones, as he should definitely be in one of the first two lists... I'll do "probable" because he's awesome to us Sooner fans, but not to the rest of the world yet. Plus, Jones has a broken bone in his shoulder, so we shouldn't "lock" him, even if we love him.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2009, 04:02 PM
he just signed a new contract with some guaranteed money..he isn't gonna go anywhere

badger
8/24/2009, 04:03 PM
he just signed a new contract with some guaranteed money..he isn't gonna go anywhere

You're right... money is definitely important. Consider Brandon a LOCK!

:P All you critics should do the next list. Go on, take the players that are left that aren't mentioned in lock or probable and make a questionable list.

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 04:08 PM
As pointed out by STEP, Reggie is now playing safety and not corner. I watched the 49er/raider game and he looked very comfortable and had a real nose for the ball. His name came up a lot (alot?) and all for good plays.

I still think Hartley is okay if he performs. The saints brought in a 45 y.o. guy in the interim, so no long term commitment there. He just has to kick well.

the_ouskull
8/24/2009, 09:25 PM
His name came up a lot (alot?) and all for good plays.

You were right the first time. ("a lot" is two words, never one word) Continue to trust your instincts. :D

the_ouskull

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 09:54 PM
You were right the first time. ("a lot" is two words, never one word) Continue to trust your instincts. :D

the_ouskull

Actually, I was just spoofing a previous thread. The spelling checker catches alot a lot :)

ouleaf
8/24/2009, 11:24 PM
Saw the Jets/Ravens game tonight. Unfortunately Mark Clayton didn't play. Recovering from a Hamstring tweak I think. Did see Chester take snaps at 1st team RG and had a good block on the Goal Line to allow Ray Rice run untouched for a TD. He also took some snaps as 2nd team Center. Kelly Gregg was also out there. Gruden made a comment that he liked the way Gregg plays.

Speak of Gruden, I gotta admit I really like him as a commentator. He brings a lot of good info and talking points as well as his experience as a head coach. MNF will be a lot better now that Kornheiser is outta there. Tirico is always solid as a play-by-play, and Jaws is okay as an analyst. He finds a lot of good video support for the points he makes.

Collier11
8/24/2009, 11:28 PM
Gruden is good, I like him alot

badger
8/25/2009, 07:10 AM
I especially liked watching the Jets quarterback strug-a-ling.

What am I saying ? I couldn't care less about the team strug-a-ling!

(one of my fav all-time sports moments)

OK2U
8/25/2009, 03:18 PM
SI: Nic Harris one of the top 10 most impressive rookies in pre-season action (#8).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/25/mail/index.html?eref=sihpT1

Could be special-teams demon while waiting for a defensive role.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/08/25/mail/index.html?eref=sihpT1#ixzz0PEC88eZc

JLEW1818
8/25/2009, 03:20 PM
good for Nic , me like

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2009, 03:23 PM
like I said earlier, the guy playing in front of him is not very good, so I wouldn't doubt nic becoming a starter sometime this season

LawtonBoy74
8/25/2009, 05:46 PM
There was a lot of talk about Nic being too slow but this just goes 2 show that 40 times are overrated...if your a baller you will ball as simple as that

ouleaf
8/25/2009, 06:47 PM
They definitely seem to be high on Nic at least as a great special teams player while competing for time at LB. Nick is plenty fast enough at the LB spot. I think speed concerns were more at Safety in the NFL.

Collier11
8/27/2009, 10:46 PM
CJ Ah You had 6 tackles and a sack tonight

Wilkerson had a sack and 4 tackles I believe

JLEW1818
8/27/2009, 10:49 PM
CJ Ah You

name never gets old, ever

beer4me
8/28/2009, 05:43 AM
Good stuff STEP thanks, that is a lot of work there bro

badger
8/28/2009, 07:48 AM
I didn't watch the game after the rain delay. :(

Collier11
8/29/2009, 10:51 PM
Another big day for alot of borderline Sooners

Patrick didnt do much statistically and the Giants didnt play Bomar or Woodson

Birdine didnt have any stats for the Titans

Finley had a catch for 19yds for the Niners, Reggie didnt have any stats

Ayodele had 2 tackles for the Saints

Nic Harris had 4 tackles for the Bills, continues to play well at LB

Mike Hawkins had 1 tackle for the Raiders, no idea what his chances are

Corey Ivy had 2 tackles for the Browns

Manny Johnson didnt have any stats for the Cowboys, doesnt look good

Lott's Bandana
8/30/2009, 02:19 AM
This is one of my favorite threads....evar.

gaylordfan1
8/30/2009, 02:21 AM
Sad about Manny..... Kid was wonderful, a blessing for us.

LawtonBoy74
8/30/2009, 02:21 AM
The cowboys should keep Manny, hes a good receiver with great agility I think he could do well with Dallas, but is he good enough to make the 53 man... I dunno

swardboy
8/30/2009, 08:03 AM
It bugs me to see our guys get beat out by dudes from Mankato State....OUr coaches must do a heck of a job with these kids while they have them in order get the excellent records we have.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/30/2009, 02:44 PM
Well sometimes the guy from Mankato State fills a role certain players can't. Snappers, and guys specific to a scheme they run are certain examples. When you get to this point, they don't always take the best player, they take the player who is going to help them win unless of course their team name in Lions, Bengals, or Raiders

Desert Sapper
8/30/2009, 02:52 PM
I wonder if the super athletes end up going to Hoopeedoo State because it is easier to qualify there?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/30/2009, 03:00 PM
A lot of them do...yes. A lot of them just fly under the radar. Some of them just have really good intangibles that fit the team they are signed by. Take Josh Heupel...would USC even look twice at a player like him. No, but he was the perfect fit for the perfect offense..

Bourbon St Sooner
8/31/2009, 08:09 AM

I'd also say Davin Joseph has a pretty good chance of making the Bucs.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/31/2009, 08:11 AM
Another big day for alot of borderline Sooners

Patrick didnt do much statistically and the Giants didnt play Bomar or Woodson

Birdine didnt have any stats for the Titans

Finley had a catch for 19yds for the Niners, Reggie didnt have any stats

Ayodele had 2 tackles for the Saints

Nic Harris had 4 tackles for the Bills, continues to play well at LB

Mike Hawkins had 1 tackle for the Raiders, no idea what his chances are

Corey Ivy had 2 tackles for the Browns

Manny Johnson didnt have any stats for the Cowboys, doesnt look good

Remi also caused a fumble in the Saints game Saturday. I think he's in good shape to make the roster.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2009, 11:47 AM
sorry no updates in a while...

Jon Cooper had been splitting time with Ryan Cook for the 2nd string center but it looks better and better for Cooper each week...looks better than it did

Marcus Walker is still hanging on but I wouldn't doubt seeing him cut in the next round...Vikings wideouts have been using him for their highlight videos

Things don't look good for Manny...I just dont see him making it, unless this TFRW injury is serious enough that they keep an extra WR

SoonerSoph
9/1/2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks STEP, you always bring a lot of good information about our NFL guys.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2009, 11:52 AM
Joe Jon Finley is fighting for the 3rd TE spot....He has had a pretty good camp so far, but its really a 50/50 chance for him against Bear Pascoe..

Nevermind...i would say its more 90/10 for him now..I had sent a text out, and they guy responded that Bear more than likely will be sent to the practice squad

ouleaf
9/1/2009, 12:00 PM
Things don't look good for Manny...I just dont see him making it, unless this TFRW injury is serious enough that they keep an extra WR

Agreed. Anyone know if he is doing anything on Special Teams? The Cowboys are high on Ogletree, another rookie WR at the moment. I'd say his only chance at this point is practice squad unfortunately. He's behind TFRW, Crayton, Austin, Hurd, and Ogletree. I think the Cowboys will cut Stanback too, so is where I could maybe see Manny snatching up a practice squad spot.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2009, 12:08 PM
on guys who didn't finish up at OU

Mike Hawkins probably will be a cut by the Raiders even though he has the speed Crazy Al likes

Brandon Keith is doing well in Arizona and is doing what you have to do to make it as a backup in the league...learn 2 positions..

Bomar is getting much of a chance to do anything in Giants practice or on the field....I would say likely to the practice squad

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2009, 12:09 PM
Agreed. Anyone know if he is doing anything on Special Teams? The Cowboys are high on Ogletree, another rookie WR at the moment. I'd say his only chance at this point is practice squad unfortunately. He's behind TFRW, Crayton, Austin, Hurd, and Ogletree. I think the Cowboys will cut Stanback too, so is where I could maybe see Manny snatching up a practice squad spot.

not that I can tell...I think they will cut Manny before Stanback because of his involvement in special teams... but its really a matter of are the cowboys gonna keep 5 or 6 receivers

badger
9/1/2009, 12:46 PM
I put up a separate cutting thread since STEP is the insider for training camp info, whereas I'm just linking crap from other sites when I see it.

btw, did you hear anything on Braxton's return to the Browns?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2009, 12:52 PM
yeah, Ryan Tucker has been hurt and battling injuries all through camp, a versatile guy who could start at guard or right tackle...So they cut him loose and brought back Braxton...interesting move

badger
9/1/2009, 01:26 PM
The Neffel (along with other pro sports leagues) has to be one of the few professions where they can fire you if you're injured.

In other professions, the injured dude would just "go on disability" and return whenever he gets healthy.

Cuttin' deadline is an hour and a half away. Hopefully no more Sooners besides Dusty gets the early boot.

badger
9/1/2009, 01:59 PM
Another question - how is Ruuuuuuuufus Alexander doing with Detroit?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2009, 02:05 PM
Rufus was brought in because Detroit was a little banged up at the lb spot going into last saturday's game...i expect him to be gone today

Collier11
9/1/2009, 02:14 PM
WHAT ABOUT BUBBA MOSES?!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2009, 02:59 PM
there is only one of him

Collier11
9/3/2009, 07:02 PM
Nic Harris with 9.5 1st half tackles tonight

MK an early catch for 11 yds

For some reason the Giants are playing Eli and Carr in the 1st half so Bomar hasnt had any kind of shot yet, neither has Woodson though

stoops the eternal pimp
9/3/2009, 07:03 PM
Im thinkin Woodson is gonna be there 3 and Bomar to the practice squad, which is better than being the 3rd string in my opinion

Collier11
9/3/2009, 07:10 PM
Do you think the Giants have seen enough from Woodson to keep him or have they just not seen enough from Bomar yet to get rid of Woodson?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/3/2009, 07:14 PM
Woodson was on their PS last year and knows the system..

Bomar isnt getting reps in practice or games right now, which makes me think they will go with Woodson...and the last time Bomar played, they took him out when they went to a 2 minute offense which kinda showed me they are preparing Woodson to be the 3

Collier11
9/3/2009, 07:29 PM
well if Bomar is sent to the PS he can get alot of reps that way which will give them a better barometer for next yr and if bomar could potentially be a cheaper backup than Carr right?

Collier11
9/3/2009, 07:42 PM
Woodson is now 1-5 with a pick 6 and it is late in the 2nd qt, looks like Bomar might get some good PT this game

stoops the eternal pimp
9/3/2009, 08:07 PM
Like i've stated, Woodson's release is so slow that he will have a career of pick 6's if he played...too slow..

Bomar is gonna be a better quarterback..he just needs snaps

Collier11
9/3/2009, 08:09 PM
Patrick now has 4 carries for 33 yds

CK Sooner
9/3/2009, 08:15 PM
Patrick now has 4 carries for 33 yds

Long?

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/3/2009, 08:17 PM
Depends on the girl

colleyvillesooner
9/3/2009, 08:21 PM
Long?

inches.

CK Sooner
9/3/2009, 08:26 PM
He is doing a lot better than Brandon Jacobs....

Clever Trevor
9/3/2009, 08:32 PM
Woodson is absolutely horrible!

Collier11
9/3/2009, 09:29 PM
Bomar hasnt played

Patrick has 9 carries for 48 yds

MK had the one catch for 11 yds

Lendy has 5 tackles

Iggy has 1 catch for 5 yds so far

Bradley 1 catch for 9 yds so far

Ah You continues to play well, 3 tackles and a sack so far

Birdine has a tackle and half a sack so far

Nic Harris had 12 tackles

And just for the hell of it, Vick was 7/11 passing with a int and 35 yds rushing with a TD

CK Sooner
9/3/2009, 09:52 PM
It said Bomar had 26 rushing yards, but no passing yards.

Johnny Utah
9/3/2009, 09:59 PM
Lofton had 4 tackles for the Falcons in their loss to the Ravens.

CK Sooner
9/3/2009, 10:00 PM
Damn, Nic Harris is tearing it up. He should be a starter when the season starts.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/3/2009, 10:14 PM
I guess the Florida players were right....Nic is an evil and naughty man

stoops the eternal pimp
9/3/2009, 10:43 PM
sad to say, lot of those guys are gonna need to find a different line of work in a few days

Collier11
9/3/2009, 11:12 PM
who all are gettin cut you thinkin?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/4/2009, 12:41 AM
well the last week is basically little of the starters so your 2nd team plays a bit...there after is guys scrapping for a roster spot

probably cut

Patrick
Ah You
Birdine
Holmes
Bradley..I'm not sure on

stoops the eternal pimp
9/4/2009, 12:41 AM
and iggy is lucky he started camp as high on the food chain as he did....

ndpruitt03
9/4/2009, 12:25 PM
Bradley is in according to most KC guys.

Dwayne Bowe, Mark Bradley, Bobby Engram, Ashley Lelie, Terrance Copper. Still the toughest position group on the team to call. The first three guys are in. Things get sticky after that. I’m going with Lelie over Quinten Lawrence because he’s done it before. Lawrence has a long way to go but deserves consideration because of his speed. But don’t be surprised if the Chiefs keep Lawrence instead or even both.

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/960

Wide Receiver: 6

8. Dwayne Bowe

9. Mark Bradley

10. Bobby Engram

11. Quinten Lawrence

12. Ashley Lelie

13. Terrance Copper

Quick Hit - This is probably the hardest position to predict. Devard Darling would have been on this list as a starter opposite Bowe most likely, but with his injury, he was placed in Injured Reserve for the year with his torn ACL.

Terrence Copper is starting Thursday night along side Mark Bradley, and that is the only reason I have him making the team. Most likely the starters will be Bowe and Bradley. Copper, in my opinion, has had too many drops in preseason to make this squad. But, for some reason, Haley seems to like him.

Ashley Lelie probably only makes the roster as a replacement for Darling, both of whom are considered speed guys. Lelie, in his limited playing time during the third preseason game looked good, and most importantly, didn't drop a pass. He was in sync with the offense and deserves a spot.

If Haley and Pioli happens to find a return man who is cut from another team, look for the Chiefs to cut a player from this group. In order of likely hood: Copper, Lelie, and Lawrence

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/247306-chiefs-predicting-the-53-man-roster

SanJoaquinSooner
9/4/2009, 02:27 PM
Ed Valentine prediction:

Quarterback (3)

Starter: Eli Manning
Backups: David Carr, Rhett Bomar
Cut: Andre Woodson

Woodson simply has not made enough progress from his rookie season to stay with the Giants. He was horrid Thursday night (6-for-19, with a Pick Six). He has completed just 18-of-46 passes in the pre-season (39.1%). Bomar's opportunities were limited, but I am giving him a roster spot based on his potential. The guy has a great arm, a presence and even though he threw an interception last night he ran the two-minute drill impressively. If they try to sneak him on to the practice squad I am almost certain he gets picked up by someone. The Giants will end up regretting that. So, he sneaks on to the 53-man.