PDA

View Full Version : Brody Eldridge

SoonerInFortSmith
8/7/2009, 12:33 PM
I was reading the quotes from today's OU media day and Coach Wilson said they practiced Eldridge at center yesterday. I was wondering why I didn't see him with the TE's in the video highlites from the first practice. Any thoughts?

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 12:34 PM
hmmmm... interesting..... idk if that's a good thing tho?

gaylordfan1
8/7/2009, 12:53 PM
Yea, I just read that too. Does that mean Haberns not getting it done? I remember when they placed J. Brown on the o-line from d-line. We all know how that worked out.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 01:10 PM
yeah but that switch wasn't done 30 days before the 1st game

SoonerInFortSmith
8/7/2009, 01:10 PM
Habern is young/lacking experience. Eldridge is an awesome blocker. Plus we have depth at TE. Hanna looked really good in the practice hilites.

birddog
8/7/2009, 01:12 PM
stoops has said all along that eldridge is the best player on the team. i'm sure if they didn't think he could git er dun they wouldn't even bother trying him there.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 01:14 PM
very very interesting

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 01:20 PM
Well, you cannot have too much depth on the O line...ever

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 01:20 PM
how tall is Brody? like in real life, not fake height?

SoonerInFortSmith
8/7/2009, 01:26 PM
I would guess he's around 6' 3"

setem
8/7/2009, 01:27 PM
A-11 offense here we come!

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 01:29 PM
A-11 offense here we come!

lol, screw it lets do it!!:D

gaylordfan1
8/7/2009, 01:37 PM
Just heard Habern is out for a week... Don't know if that means injury or something else. Don't worry, i'm hounding my source to find out.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 01:47 PM
keep us updated

ThatGuy65
8/7/2009, 01:51 PM
Habern is injured. He has been struggling with it all summer.

gaylordfan1
8/7/2009, 01:53 PM
Still searching.... I was told only a week though.

adoniijahsooner
8/7/2009, 01:56 PM
Coach Wilson on the Line...It doesnt sound too bad.

On the differences between last year and this year:
"We lost some guys, and that is documented, but we got a lot of guys coming back. Bottom line, every year we try to do what we can do to be efficient and give ourselves a chance to win. That's our goal. We're not trying to pad stats, we're not trying to get passing yards or rushing yards, we just need to get as many points as we need to win. Everybody's concerned about our (offensive) line. I'm not at all. I have a great deal of confidence in those guys, we're going to complement them with some tremendous supporting characters with the tight end, fullback and running back positions. I think it's got a chance to be a phenomenal group. I don't know if it will be statistically better, and I don't want it to be, I want it to give us a chance to win. As good as we were last year, we had some hiccups when we needed to make some plays down some stretches." On losing four offensive linemen:
"For example, yesterday we were playing Brody Eldridge at center, who is the best blocker on our football team hands down and who weighs more than Jon Cooper did the last four games of last year. So we had a fifth year guy at center, with a fifth year guard beside him in Brian Simmons, who has started games here. Then you have the best lineman that I have had since I have been here, and I do have two former players that were in the pro bowl and were first round picks. The best lineman I have ever coached is No. 71 (Trent Williams), and it's not close. Trent only ran a 4.70 and 4.73 this summer at 312 pounds, that's all. That's a fact you can back it up with Coach Schmidt. On the right side, I have a freshman and then I have a fourth-year tackle Cory Brandon.
"We have a lot of talent. That line is as talented as any in this league and the country. It needs competition, it needs experience, it needs to grow. It's not seasoned, but it's talented. I can't help that it's not seasoned but I love the ability with what we're working with."

setem
8/7/2009, 01:57 PM
lol, screw it lets do it!!:D

YEAH BUDDY!

gaylordfan1
8/7/2009, 01:58 PM
Ok, it appears to be Haberns back, should only be a week.

MichiganSooner
8/7/2009, 02:01 PM
My wife likes Brody because Eldridge is her maiden name and he is good.

Maybe Stoops is going to run the ole quarterback sneak we kids used to run, in our backyard games. It goes like this. The center fakes hiking the ball to the quarterback who is under center; the center actually keeps the ball for a rumble up the middle. Obviously, he needs a guy with good speed and hands to do it at the Big 12 level.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 02:01 PM
My wife likes Brody because Eldridge is her maiden name and he is good.

Maybe Stoops is going to run the ole quarterback sneak we kids used to run, in our backyard games. It goes like this. The center fakes hiking the ball to the quarterback who is under center; the center actually keeps the ball for a rumble up the middle. Obviously, he needs a guy with good speed and hands to do it at the Big 12 level.

:D :D

setem
8/7/2009, 02:05 PM
Chicken Little Flea-Flicker?

or

Annexation of Porto Rico!

Pitch to Johnny...PITCH TO JOHNNY? I'M JOHNNY!

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 02:09 PM
Pitch to Johnny...PITCH TO JOHNNY? I'M JOHNNY!

oh you asked for it now!!!!!!!!!!!!

fast forward to 9:26 !!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMZpypG2ec&feature=related

setem
8/7/2009, 02:14 PM
YOU RAAAAANG!

STAY CLEAR ICE CHEST...or I'll have to mess up your face!

I think we should hand out Alka Seltzer tabs before the NC game this year...GUARANTEE US A W!

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 02:16 PM
lol.... "what are we gonna use them for"

setem
8/7/2009, 02:30 PM
INTIMIDATION! EHHHHR!!! EHHHHR!

http://i17.tinypic.com/2z65p2q.jpg

PLaw
8/7/2009, 11:31 PM
Habern is young/lacking experience. Eldridge is an awesome blocker. Plus we have depth at TE. Hanna looked really good in the practice hilites.

Habern will start, the coaches are looking to add some depth at the position since the No. 2 transferred in the spring.

BOOMER

soonermagic14
8/8/2009, 12:06 AM
I kinda like the idea of Brody playing center...he is a beast, best blocker on the team, hard worker, and has been around long enough to know what each play is doing- I'm sure he can recognize the defense and his first threat on every play...the center has double teams most of the time anyways...I'd like to see what he could do coming of a double team and working up to LB level on a running play- you know he has good footwork knowing he's played TE/FB.

rainiersooner
8/8/2009, 12:11 AM
You know, there is no single Sooner I enjoy listening to more than Kevin Wilson. That guy cracks me up.

ThatGuy65
8/8/2009, 12:56 AM
Habern will start, the coaches are looking to add some depth at the position since the No. 2 transferred in the spring.

Habern will start if he's healthy. Eldridge is trying at center as an experiment. They tried to have some other guys like Good snap the ball a bit in the spring but no one could do it except Lepak. Lepak is a quality backup and I think the coaches just want to see if Eldridge could play the position. And if you're going to experiment with a position change, you need to do it as early as possible. It wasn't too long ago that OU TEs made the switch and played well (Chester and Bush). I think the coaches just want to explore all options.

IronHorseSooner
8/8/2009, 07:07 AM
It seemed to work well for Chris Chester. He's having a nice career with the Ravens. However, Habern's a beast, and could end up being the best, if not one of the best, to play that position at OU. He has all of the tools for that. If Eldridge can pick it up, that would mean he would have played 4 different positions since being at OU- DE (not long, but at the very beginning), FB- All Big XII, TE, and now Center. It will be sad to see him leave after the season.

gaylordfan1
8/8/2009, 09:06 AM
wow, I didn't know they moved Eldridge around so much. It's nice to have him on the field.

soonerchris
8/8/2009, 09:12 AM
What's a little alarming was the statement that the last 4 games last year brody weighed more than cooper. Good lord! I pray there's nothing "enhancing" in the situation, but I do trust bob so it has to be on the up and up

boomersooner28
8/8/2009, 09:12 AM
This just in: Brody Eldridge practicing at strong safety. Depth issues.

:D

OU-HSV
8/8/2009, 09:22 AM
What about that Lepak dude, isn't he supposed to be a center?

SoonerInFortSmith
8/8/2009, 11:22 AM

BOOMER

I can't see moving Eldridge just to be a backup. He is a senior and too valuable in other places to just be #2 center. I would guess this is more like just preparing for an emergency situation. To keep something from happening like when RR got hurt against Texas last year. Surely he will play his normal position, but be ready for C just in case.

MojoRisen
8/8/2009, 12:03 PM
Hey, he can start at TE and FB, and be the number 3 center incase of freak stuff happening. I bet he would be a beast and ATH as crap if we needed to use him. Not sure of his shotgun snap though.

ThatGuy65
8/8/2009, 01:36 PM
What's a little alarming was the statement that the last 4 games last year brody weighed more than cooper. Good lord! I pray there's nothing "enhancing" in the situation, but I do trust bob so it has to be on the up and up

Cooper played as light at 255 last year. He was sick and lost weight.

ThatGuy65
8/8/2009, 01:37 PM
What about that Lepak dude, isn't he supposed to be a center?

He's the backup right now. I think the coaches are just seeing if Eldridge can play it if needed. But if Lepak starts it's not the end of the world.

htownsooner7
8/8/2009, 03:34 PM
ThatGuy65,

2 questions (if you know, but you appear to have some sort of insider knowledge):

what's our coaches' take on the line, specifically Good and Brannon?

What's our coaches' take on the WR position, will Kenney get an immediate shot or is it Tennell's to lose?

ThatGuy65
8/8/2009, 11:33 PM
ThatGuy65,

2 questions (if you know, but you appear to have some sort of insider knowledge):

what's our coaches' take on the line, specifically Good and Brannon?

What's our coaches' take on the WR position, will Kenney get an immediate shot or is it Tennell's to lose?

My sources are players, so I can't comment on what the coaches are thinking. But I do know that Kenney has been playing very very well. My source said he's going to be one of our top guys along with Broyles and Tennell. Apparently he's really fast and has great hands. I don't think he's competing with Tennell too much. Tennell is an outside guy and I think Kenney is going to be a slot guy, like Broyles was last year. He'll probably compete more with Madu. I could be wrong on that, I didn't ask.

Cory Brandon is competing with Jarvis Jones for the RT spot. Jones is probably the better athlete but Brandon has more time in the program and learns things faster. My source said that Jones is the better player when he knows what he's doing. But knowing is half the battle. Jones' problem is mental. That should be a really good battle through camp.

Good is a physical specimen. He loves the weightroom. He doesn't have a great first step, however, and can get beaten by faster interior D linemen. Once he gets his paws on people he's really good. He just needs to work on getting those paws on people faster.

Williams is a stud. Simmons is a stud. Habern will be good in time if he can get past this injury bug. Lepak is a servicable backup and has put on about 10 lbs this summer. He's up to 290 now, and can play if we need him.

The line needs to stay injury free as there's not great depth across the board.

unbiasedtruth
8/9/2009, 01:42 AM
Could be used for the ol' fumblerooskie.... or better yet, have they devised and center elegible pass play??

setem
8/9/2009, 01:52 AM
Could be used for the ol' fumblerooskie.... or better yet, have they devised and center elegible pass play??

That is what the A-11 is!!!

unbiasedtruth
8/9/2009, 01:54 AM
That is what the A-11 is!!!

oops.... thanks

setem
8/9/2009, 02:02 AM
It is too goofy OU to run it!

I am surprised TT has not run it yet

OU_Sooners75
8/9/2009, 02:30 AM
Lack of depth at a position will do this type of stuff. Habern will most likely be the starter, switching a guy to test it out may be a couple of different things...

1. It could be because of habern not catching on or getting it done.
2. It could be because they do not think Lepak will be a suitable backup.
3. It could be because they think Eldridge is to vital as a blocker and want to see if he could handle the job, being a senior and all.

Who knows, I would not be too alarmed about a guy working out at a different position.

setem
8/9/2009, 02:35 AM
I thought Habern was out for a couple of weeks?

ThatGuy65
8/9/2009, 02:50 AM
Habern shouldn't be out much longer, but the coaches don't know if this thing will plague him for a while. I think they just need to know that they can do this if they have to. If you're going to experiment with something, you have to do it as early as possible.

ThatGuy65
8/9/2009, 02:58 AM
1. It could be because of habern not catching on or getting it done.
2. It could be because they do not think Lepak will be a suitable backup.
3. It could be because they think Eldridge is to vital as a blocker and want to see if he could handle the job, being a senior and all.

1. It's not this.
2. I don't think it's this but it may be possible.
3. I think this is the best bet.

One thing people aren't considering is that our offense works on matchup problems. The same personnel can be on the field for a 3 wide set or a 2 tight end set. The type of guy that makes this happen is Gresham and Hanna. Eldridge is an incredible blocker but he's not an incredible receiver. The coaches really want to get Hanna on the field. I think they may be looking for a way to get the best 11 on the field at once, and Habern being injured just presses this idea into action.

OU_Sooners75
8/9/2009, 03:03 AM
1. It's not this.
2. I don't think it's this but it may be possible.
3. I think this is the best bet.

One thing people aren't considering is that our offense works on matchup problems. The same personnel can be on the field for a 3 wide set or a 2 tight end set. The type of guy that makes this happen is Gresham and Hanna. Eldridge is an incredible blocker but he's not an incredible receiver. The coaches really want to get Hanna on the field. I think they may be looking for a way to get the best 11 on the field at once, and Habern being injured just presses this idea into action.

Hell, it could be for other reasons as well.

But I kinda like the idea of Eldridge working out on the interior line. Gives us experience and someone that knows the playbook. It also gives us a viable option, if he can handle the duties (playing center is not as easy as people think it is).

Either way, I always put my trust in our coaching staff, even if I disagree with some of their philosophies. They know what they are doing and they know what each individual is capable of doing moreso than anyone on this board.

adoniijahsooner
8/9/2009, 08:21 AM
Here's a vid of brody working with the linemen.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-footbl/08aug/20090808_oline.wmv&school=okla&

SoonerFrance
8/9/2009, 08:37 AM
Wouldn't he have to change his number to something between 50-79 to play center?

batonrougesooner
8/9/2009, 09:02 AM
I thought the center could only go out for a pass in backyard football.

htownsooner7
8/9/2009, 01:02 PM
ThatGuy,

Defensively, what are we doing at LB, are Reynolds and Box back in the mix? What are we doing at safety?

goingoneight
8/9/2009, 01:14 PM
Reynolds is the 1, with Balogun and Box being the 2A and 2B in the middle. Box is the hybrid guy who can slide over outside if needed.

Safety right now is Sam Proctor at SS and Quinton Carter at FS.

ThatGuy65
8/9/2009, 03:49 PM
goingoneight nailed it. Reynolds is starting and apparently looking really good and is not hampered by the injury.

JLEW1818
8/9/2009, 04:03 PM
Reynolds is the 1, with Balogun and Box being the 2A and 2B in the middle. Box is the hybrid guy who can slide over outside if needed.

Safety right now is Sam Proctor at SS and Quinton Carter at FS.

I'm very impressed with Carter... not sure about Proctor yet.. his first name is "Sam" so I'm sure he will be alright.... :D

SanJoaquinSooner
8/9/2009, 04:10 PM
thanks to those who have info to share...

htownsooner7
8/9/2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks. Too bad we can't figure out a way to get Box on the field.

MojoRisen
8/9/2009, 08:49 PM
one of the players said Sam Proctor is one of the best ATH on the team. I suspect if he doesn't have incredible busts he is going to be a great player!

ThatGuy65
8/10/2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks. Too bad we can't figure out a way to get Box on the field.

I love having the problem of too many good players.

JLEW1818
8/15/2009, 11:13 PM
Converted TE Eldridge enjoys dabbling at center

August 14, 2009 5:14 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

NORMAN, Okla. -- When first asked to play center several practices ago, Oklahoma senior tight end Brody Eldridge had one thought before making his first snap.

"Man, I just hope I wouldn't jam [Sam Bradford's] fingers when I snapped the ball back to him," Eldridge said, chuckling. "[Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson] promised to get the ball in my hands more this season. I guess he really meant it."

Eldridge has been pressed into duty at center for the past several practices because first-string center Ben Habern suffered a lower back injury.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops expects Habern to return to practice early next week and has been shuffling through several potential replacements while his playing time has been was limited.

One of them has been the 6-foot-5, 265-pound Eldridge, who has adapted well to his new position.

"He's the one guy I really hate going against in practice," Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said.

If it's any consolation, Eldridge hasn't liked blocking the Sooners' preseason All-America defensive tackle much either.

"He's the one guy I really hate going against, too," Eldridge said. "It's a challenge going against him every day."

The decision to move Eldridge to the offensive line isn't so surprising, considering his adaptability. He has played fullback and tight end during most of his career with the Sooners after starting as a scout-team defensive end. He has never played offensive line before the move.

"I don't mind where they play me," Eldridge said. "Blocking is blocking."

Habern's injury isn't a major concern for the Sooners. Sophomore guard Stephen Good has gotten most of the snaps there with the first-team offensive live the last several days. Senior tackle Trent Williams and sophomore tackle Jarvis Jones also have worked at center.

"It's been a little bit different than playing guard and getting your footwork down," Good said. "The guy is right on you. But I'm getting used to it. I really like it."

htownsooner7
8/16/2009, 12:40 PM
I love having the problem of too many good players.

My concern is that Reynolds doesn't have enough "quick twitch" left. In that Tech game, I really thought Box played well and was all over the field.

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 12:44 PM
i thought Reynolds was a dud, until he got hurt against texas... and stuff happened.

cross your fingers

IronHorseSooner
8/16/2009, 02:30 PM
I like the strategy that the coaching staff seems to be using this year. There seems to be an emphasis on ensuring that players are cross-trained enough where if the injury bug hits, they will be prepared. We even see this with the kickers with Kinney getting snaps at punter, and Way and Easley competing for placekicker.

There are some really talented guys this year who the coaching staff are going to have to be inventive to get them involved- Hanna, Ronnell Lewis, Calhoun, Wort, Washington, Lynn, etc.

adoniijahsooner
8/16/2009, 02:34 PM
I like the strategy that the coaching staff seems to be using this year. There seems to be an emphasis on ensuring that players are cross-trained enough where if the injury bug hits, they will be prepared. We even see this with the kickers with Kinney getting snaps at punter, and Way and Easley competing for placekicker.

There are some really talented guys this year who the coaching staff are going to have to be inventive to get them involved- Hanna, Ronnell Lewis, Calhoun, Wort, Washington, Lynn, etc.

The recruiting class is filled with athletes also. Stoops is going back to 2000