PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Smith's new teammate Crabtree

SanJoaquinSooner
8/6/2009, 07:40 PM
Well, he should be. But he's using a new negotiating strategy. Since Al Davis is senile and crazy, Crabtree fell to 10th but deserved to be drafted at least 7th. So he wants at least as much as 7th's money, if not more.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/6/2009, 08:07 PM
Thank you for reading Yahoo news.

JLEW1818
8/6/2009, 08:45 PM
so Crabtree is listed at 6'1, not 6'3 as tech had him... he's not any faster than a normal receiver...

BUST

JLEW1818
8/6/2009, 08:55 PM
Crabtree could sit out this year ... haha , that's great

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4381335

ouleaf
8/6/2009, 10:38 PM
Love seeing the Musberger commentary on that by the way....wish he would do that more often.

Yeah, I commented earlier that Crabtree was causing a bunch of delays from other 1st rounders signing b/c he was holding out for top 5 money. If he really goes through this whole "sit out til next year" plan he will officially be the dumbest person on the planet. I guarantee Singletary won't put up with with this crap....I hope the 49ers stud LB lights him up the first time he touches the field.

Bosley
8/6/2009, 11:04 PM
I never understand athletes acting like children for an extra few million dollars.

Seriously though...you guys run around on a field and provide an entertaining show that hard working people with REAL jobs pay to watch. You're not a doctor, you're not a teacher, you're not a carpenter, you catch a ball for a living. Take what they give you and be thankful for it, what are you going to do with the extra 2-3 million? Buy more expensive jewelry? Gold plate your bathtub? Shut up, work hard, be a positive influence in the community and enjoy a quality of life that 99.99999999999999 percent of the world will never come close to experiencing.

rainiersooner
8/6/2009, 11:32 PM
Why is playing in the NFL not a real job?

Breadburner
8/6/2009, 11:36 PM
Maurice Clarett....

DMAFB_Sooner08
8/7/2009, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE=Bosley;2658847]I never understand athletes acting like children for an extra few million dollars.
QUOTE]

I would be willing to bet it is the agent more times than not

Frozen Sooner
8/7/2009, 06:33 AM
I never understand athletes acting like children for an extra few million dollars.

I'll act any way someone wants me to for a few million dollars. I ain't proud.

Eielson
8/7/2009, 06:47 AM
so Crabtree is listed at 6'1, not 6'3 as tech had him... he's not any faster than a normal receiver...

BUST

How quickly we forget that this kid had possibly the best year ever for a freshman WR. Height and speed aren't the only things that matter, this isn't Madden. I remember a few years ago when I bought into that Larry Fitzgerald is overrated crap.

badger
8/7/2009, 07:55 AM
Why is playing in the NFL not a real job?

It is totally a real job... that injuries can immediately put an end to, that's health effects will linger the rest of the athlete's life, even if the athlete's salary will not... where not all money is guaranteed, nor is your roster spot for the length of the contract.

The shelf life of an average football player is a few years. The hard working paying folk in the crowd will at have a far longer time in their own respective careers. I respect that professional football players can play such a physically demanding sport in hopes of not just taking care of themselves, but their families.

So yeah, seriousness aside, I hope someone asks Mikey in Lubbock what he thinks about the holdout situation. Anyone care to take a guess?

Heck, if he doesn't want to play in the NFL this year, Tech would love to have him back for one more season

:D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2009, 08:27 AM
How many other jobs can you be hired, and then refuse to show up, and still have a job? Or have pretty much unlimited sick leave?

Jacie
8/7/2009, 08:37 AM
I'll act any way someone wants me to for a few million dollars. I ain't proud.

You beat me to that reply.

soonerfan28
8/7/2009, 08:46 AM
If he really chooses to sit out then next year he'll have to work out to get drafted high. He didn't test on much if anything at the combine or Tech's pro day and nobody has a clue how bad his injury was that held him out. The guy can play and has proven that, but we're talking multi-million dollar money here.

NormanPride
8/7/2009, 09:48 AM
I hope he's not holding out for more money because he knows the injury made him worthless...

badger
8/7/2009, 09:51 AM
If he really chooses to sit out then next year he'll have to work out to get drafted high. He didn't test on much if anything at the combine or Tech's pro day and nobody has a clue how bad his injury was that held him out. The guy can play and has proven that, but we're talking multi-million dollar money here.

This. He'll be another Mike Williams from SC. He would be foolish to hold out much longer... and if he's worried that his injury will shorten his career, just get more guaranteed money into your contract and settle. for. less.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 11:29 AM
How quickly we forget that this kid had possibly the best year ever for a freshman WR. Height and speed aren't the only things that matter, this isn't Madden. I remember a few years ago when I bought into that Larry Fitzgerald is overrated crap.

Pitt also didn't run a 5 WR set.....

gaylordfan1
8/7/2009, 12:20 PM
So, I lost a lot of respect for Crabtree when I heard of this. What makes him think he will get any lower than 10 this next draft? Bradford, G. Mccoy, Gresh, Tebow, lil Colty.... and thats just to name a few. Btw, not that I think Colt will break the top 10, its just bc the media lives in his jock.

badger
8/7/2009, 12:27 PM
I can't ignore the fact that this might just be his agent's stupidity and not Crabby's. Some Drew Rosenhaus wannabe will see Drew screwing with the media and upper managements and think he can get away with doing the same thing, then what happens to the athlete when they have no contract?

I don't think Crabby is completely without fault, as I've heard he has a bigger ego than most. However, it is possible that he is not 100 percent responsible for this crap.

yermom
8/7/2009, 12:34 PM
the more this is in the news more more he looks like a ****** and the more the side that caves is going to look bad

has anyone that's held out done any good lately? if he is missing practice over this then he's a moron

why leave early if you are going to pull this ****?

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 12:35 PM
b/c he went to tech......................................

SoonerInFortSmith
8/7/2009, 12:37 PM
I can't ignore the fact that this might just be his agent's stupidity and not Crabby's. Some Drew Rosenhaus wannabe will see Drew screwing with the media and upper managements and think he can get away with doing the same thing, then what happens to the athlete when they have no contract?

I don't think Crabby is completely without fault, as I've heard he has a bigger ego than most. However, it is possible that he is not 100 percent responsible for this crap.

ESPN keeps quoting his advisor as saying he is willing to sit out. Then it says at the bottom of the qoute that the advisor is his brother.

badger
8/7/2009, 12:39 PM
ESPN keeps quoting his advisor as saying he is willing to sit out. Then it says at the bottom of the qoute that the advisor is his brother.

Did his bro also advise him not to wear a facemask?
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/64918/3796813004_ea9f5e946b_o.jpg

yermom
8/7/2009, 12:51 PM
also, where do i sign up to be an agent? :D

Eielson
8/7/2009, 06:12 PM
Did his bro also advise him not to wear a facemask?
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/64918/3796813004_ea9f5e946b_o.jpg

Where is he grabbing?

rainiersooner
8/7/2009, 06:23 PM
How many other jobs can you be hired, and then refuse to show up, and still have a job?

Well technically he hasn't been hired yet because he hasn't signed a contract.

I see two separate issues:

First, is he right to hold out like this? I don't think so because he's also ruining his brand value by acting in a way that is perceived by the majority of people to be negative. This will hurt his ability, at least in the first year of his career, to monetize his brand through endorsements.

Second, is football a real job? I think it's probably a harder job than that held by most people. The fact that they enjoy it more than a guy on the factory floor doesn't mean it's not a real job. And because I believe in the free market, I don't believe in the notion that these guys are overpaid. The NFL is the only league that is actually working - I think these guys are all paid what they are worth. All power to them.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 06:29 PM
i already hate him, and i hope he never plays in the NFL... if i was a billionaire, I'd give every team in the league a billion dollars, if they promised to never sign him.

soonersam
8/7/2009, 06:31 PM
he's expecting a huge payday because he's already dreamed it!!!

rainiersooner
8/7/2009, 06:33 PM

LOL

Eielson
8/7/2009, 06:34 PM
Pitt also didn't run a 5 WR set.....

Remember this guy?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/peter_king/11/25/week12/p1_welker.jpg

He just had back to back 1,000 yards seasons in the NFL. In that same system, his 4 seasons can't match Crabtree's 2.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/7/2009, 06:54 PM
Sitting out would be a horrible mistake. The number one reason is that, let's say you are thinking of drafting him next year, what is to say that he wouldn't do this same thing to you. He isn't a first round pick if he sits out a year, some team takes a flyer in the third round probably and just hopes he signs.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 06:55 PM

nice :D

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 06:56 PM
Remember this guy?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/peter_king/11/25/week12/p1_welker.jpg

He just had back to back 1,000 yards seasons in the NFL. In that same system, his 4 seasons can't match Crabtree's 2.

k one player, can you list some more please??? Wes also has stud WRs on his team. and Tom Brady as a QB.......

whose the 49ers qb? ha

I'm not saying its impossible for tech players to be players in the NFL.... but put Larry on texas tech, and see what he would have done.. he probably would have beat Jason White for the Heisman

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/7/2009, 07:35 PM
The spread doesn't really effect the value of a wide receiver because he develops skills such as beating zones deep, sitting down in zones and finding little creases to get separation. The area where they are hurt is in jams and being played at the line. Randy Moss played in a spread, as did numerous others, The players like Welker and Moss are successful because they are also strong enough to beat physical coverage. Crabtree looks like he can handle jams

Eielson
8/7/2009, 08:18 PM
k one player, can you list some more please???

To say that Crabtree isn't good enough to be a 1st rounder because Tech hasn't produced many top notch NFL receivers over the last few years is nonsense. How many Tech WRs have come close to Crabtree's production? Crabtree did in 2 years what one of Texas Tech's legends did in 4 years.

You think that Larry Fitzgerald would do a little better at Tech than Crabtree? Well, Fitzgerald does happen to be arguably the best WR in the NFL so that doesn't exactly crush his dreams.

Since we're talking about the Cardinals, I would just like to bring up Fitzgerald's teammate, Anquan Boldin. Boldin ran a 4.71 at the combine, but immediately began setting records in the NFL. Don't try and tell me that Warner is the reason these two guys are succeeding.

and Tom Brady as a QB.......

Matt Cassel?

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 08:19 PM
i didn't say Crabtree was not worthy of being a 1st round draft pick... I'm just NEVER sold on WRs in the NFL, until they produce in the NFL.

and the 49ers qb's don't compare to cassel or brady....

a guy named Randy Moss who is kinda good, took a huge amount of attention away from Wes.

Eielson
8/7/2009, 08:30 PM
i didn't say Crabtree was not worthy of being a 1st round draft pick...

You called him a bust before he's even played a game. So basically, yes, you did.

the 49ers qb's don't compare to cassel or brady....

a guy named Randy Moss who is kinda good, took a huge amount of attention away from Wes.

That has nothing to do with how good Crabtree is.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 08:32 PM
having a good QB sure does help..... how are the Lions WRs doing over the past years????? what 1 of 4 actually turned out to be studs? maybe?

He deserves to be a 1st round pick, b/c of what he did in college, but i still think he will be a bust.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 08:46 PM
E, you brought up a point about Cassel

makes me wonder how many other Cassel type backup QB's there really are?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/7/2009, 08:55 PM
The Lion's wr's had issues that not only the QB can be blamed for. Charles Rogers was a druggy with no desire. Mike Williams was a fatty with no desire. Roy Williams still hasn't done a whole lot and has no desire. Calvin still has a chance

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 08:56 PM
lol... and what is Crabtree... already holding out for money? like somebody else said.. why leave early if your going to be a bitch about it?

you know?

i mean all those lion WRs having issues??? pretty unlikely you draft 3 losers in a row...

i mean i would prlly do drugs if i was a lion... LOL

soonerinabilene
8/7/2009, 09:12 PM
His agent is saying they never said they would sit out the year. The advisor is actually his cousin. This is why the NFL should look into doing what the NBA does with rookie contracts.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/7/2009, 09:26 PM
To be fair, the Lions have drafted nothing but Losers since around 2000. Ernie Sims is about the only one who has contributed to their teams

Eielson
8/7/2009, 09:40 PM
having a good QB sure does help..... how are the Lions WRs doing over the past years????? what 1 of 4 actually turned out to be studs? maybe?

Calvin Johnson is a stud. One of the best WRs already.

Roy Williams did fine with the Lions. He had a 1300 yard season and averaged around 1000 yards a season there.

Charles Rogers was doing fine his first 5 games and then broke his collarbone. That ended his season. He only got on the field for 14 games. He didn't fail because of his quarterback.

Mike Williams was a bust because he had a whole year off, came back fat, and never worked hard. Not because of his quarterback.

So no, the quarterback didn't kill these guys' careers. Quarterbacks don't make a WR good anyway. They make them LOOK good.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 09:56 PM
so 50% .... not too good considering they were all first round picks

and i think Roy Williams will blow this year

Eielson
8/7/2009, 10:01 PM
so 50% .... not too good considering they were all first round picks

That's not bad, but like I said, it wasn't because of the quarterback. A guy got hurt, got addicted to pain killers, and never was the same. So you can't consider him your normal bust. So 66.7%. That's really good.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 10:02 PM
my take is WR is probably the most overrated position to draft.. or so it seems. a lot of people can catch the football and run

usually your only as good as you QB.

you make a good point with Wes, he's on a good team, with good players around him...

Obviously the Raiders didn't think Crabtree was all that

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/7/2009, 10:15 PM
Obviously the Raiders don't know much about anything. They draft like they are drunk every year. ;) Crabtree needs to get in to camp and quit complaining.

JLEW1818
8/7/2009, 10:31 PM
^ bottom line

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/7/2009, 10:33 PM
I think you lose **** tons of money by holding out for more money. If he would have signed quickly and then talked about how excited he would be to playing in city with the history in football of the 49ers. He would have made tons of money on promotional stuff.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/8/2009, 11:29 AM
That's not bad, but like I said, it wasn't because of the quarterback. A guy got hurt, got addicted to pain killers, and never was the same. So you can't consider him your normal bust. So 66.7%. That's really good.

What exactly is a normal bust? You get drafted in the first round, then you either have a good career or you don't. A bust is a bust. Period.

JLEW1818
8/8/2009, 11:31 AM
he knows things we don't know...:D

MojoRisen
8/8/2009, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know how far apart they are on $? If he is a 10 and looking for 5 money, doesn't that equate to about 10 million dollars and at least 5 more guaranteed?

Eielson
8/8/2009, 12:11 PM
What exactly is a normal bust? You get drafted in the first round, then you either have a good career or you don't. A bust is a bust. Period.

Like I already said, he came out playing fine. He got injured, and never came back the same. How were they to know he was going to break his collarbone and then get addicted to pain killers? It's not normal. Normal would be when a guy comes out and just flat out isn't good enough.

It really doesn't matter, though. It had nothing to do with the quarterback. The guy never got on the field enough to even let the quarterback ruin his career.