PDA

View Full Version : espn semi-annoints tebow

ouwapiti
8/6/2009, 11:34 AM
tebow.. greatest college player ever if he wins national championship and heisman this season.....says skippy bayless

yermom
8/6/2009, 11:35 AM
if he does that, how can he not be?

Curly Bill
8/6/2009, 11:36 AM
Because we hate him, that's why! :D

A-M
8/6/2009, 11:38 AM
Because we hate him, that's why! :D

Yea!;)

yermom
8/6/2009, 11:43 AM
i'm just sayin'

dude has two rings and a Heisman already

he could have left early for the draft and still be talked about for a long time as a great college player

Curly Bill
8/6/2009, 11:44 AM
i'm just sayin'

dude has two rings and a Heisman already

he could have left early for the draft and still be talked about for a long time as a great college player

No, once he goes to the NFL we can talk about how much he sucks as an NFL QB. ;)

meoveryouxinfinity
8/6/2009, 11:46 AM
i don't care how much he played, he was a BACK UP in 2006

yermom
8/6/2009, 11:50 AM
it's not like he only came in for blowouts, he was a big part of their offense

meoveryouxinfinity
8/6/2009, 11:52 AM
it's not like he only came in for blowouts, he was a big part of their offenseChris Leak was sitting in New York for the Heisman ceremony.. not Tebow! Glorified tailback.

MI Sooner
8/6/2009, 12:03 PM
Tebow contributed as much to Florida's 2006 title as Ontei Jones did to our 2000 title. His contribution was significant, and maybe they don't win without him, but to give him so much credit for the 2006 title is ridiculous.

Then, a 4-loss season is never mentioned, including a poor performance in the bowl against a mediocre Michigan team. The loss to Ole Miss last year was bad too, and Mr. Will His Team to Victory Baby Rhino couldn't pick up a 4th and 1.

Now, Tebow is a fantastic player, and if they win the title this year with another outstanding season by Tebow, then he deserves the kind of praise he's getting now.

But as of now, I think he's less accomplished (or no more so) than VY, Ken Dorsey, and Matt Leinert. Tebow gets credit for his team's success when his team is good, but credit for individual success when his team isn't good. Not to mention how much credit he gets for rushing TDs, when I think having the QB sneak it instead of a HB or FB isn't adding a lot of value to your team.

Hell, if Bradford has an individual season as good as Tebow AND wins the NC, then I'd say he's had a better career, in just three years.

badger
8/6/2009, 12:41 PM
If a team can actually win three titles in four years it's something to admire and and dare we even say "dynasty?" USC was trying to claim that same "dynasty" status based off a disputed title (LSU won in 2003) and one where they didn't even win the title game (2005 lol). With Florida, a third title after two real undisputed titles (sorry Utah, you must be THIS tall to claim a crystal ball) would mean dynasty... and if Tivo is a QB on all three title teams? Call him the greatest college player ever...

:P Calling him that will make his NFL flop even more giggle-worthy.

Harry Beanbag
8/6/2009, 12:59 PM
Most decorated? Yes.
Greatest player? No.

Two different questions.

Cam
8/6/2009, 01:19 PM
Most decorated? Yes.
Greatest player? No.

Two different questions.

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ 2nd that motion.

rainiersooner
8/6/2009, 01:21 PM
Most decorated? Yes.
Greatest player? No.

Two different questions.

Bingo. That's exactly how I see it. Greatest player is a term so open to subjectivity that it's almost silly to have the conversation. What is the criteria? Is he the greatest quarterback to play the game? Is he a better dual threat quarterback than Michael Vick or Steve McNair were in college. And if the answer is yes, is it because Steve McNair didn't win a national championship or a Heisman? Is he the greatest player ever because his team won the national championship last year (did they win because of his individual play, or because Brandon Spikes and the rest of the Florida DEFENSE kept OU out of the endzone on consecutive goal line stands?)? Is he the greatest college player ever because of what he does off the field? Who judges that? What about a right tackle on a mediocre team who also preaches to adults in prison - are his deeds less worthwhile because he isn't surrounded by the talent that TT is? He's a great player, to be sure; he plays on a great team; he is possessed of a great character. But greatest player EVER? Please.

badger
8/6/2009, 01:27 PM
You can be a great college player and receive tons of awards without having the talent to make the NFL, though.

...Danny Waffle (wait, no filter here that will change that to The Rev. Danny W messiah? "Danny Wuerffel," then) will attest to that!

yermom
8/6/2009, 01:32 PM
or Spurrier ;)

virginiasooner
8/6/2009, 01:39 PM
Don't get harsh on Spurrier for failing to make it in the NFL. Danny Boy Snyder is the worst owner in the NFL. Even dragging Joe Gibbs (and his 700 page playbook) away from NASCAR couldn't turn that team around And since I live in the DC area, I am constantly inundated with all things Redskins four seasons a year. AND I DETEST THE REDSKINS!!!

Eielson
8/6/2009, 02:14 PM
it's not like he only came in for blowouts, he was a big part of their offense

If you take out the blowouts of Central Florida (9 attempts) and Western Carolina (12 attempts), he never had more than 3 passing attempts in a game. There were five games were he didn't even attempt a pass.

yermom
8/6/2009, 02:30 PM
i don't disagree that he was basically a tailback most of the time that year...

and i meant Spurrier as a QB :D

on another note...

Tebow Texas Mack

hmmm

badger
8/6/2009, 02:32 PM
Tebow Texas Mack

hmmm

Colt!

... :D

Jacie
8/6/2009, 03:07 PM
If you take out the blowouts of Central Florida (9 attempts) and Western Carolina (12 attempts), he never had more than 3 passing attempts in a game. There were five games were he didn't even attempt a pass.

I did not know that . . .

Dio
8/6/2009, 03:15 PM
Skippy's just got a Teebowner for Messiah Jr. since he beat OU

bayless = blows goats

Animal Mother
8/6/2009, 03:31 PM
If a team can actually win three titles in four years it's something to admire and and dare we even say "dynasty?" USC was trying to claim that same "dynasty" status based off a disputed title (LSU won in 2003) and one where they didn't even win the title game (2005 lol). With Florida, a third title after two real undisputed titles (sorry Utah, you must be THIS tall to claim a crystal ball) would mean dynasty... and if Tivo is a QB on all three title teams? Call him the greatest college player ever...

:P Calling him that will make his NFL flop even more giggle-worthy.

You are a heartless jack azz! I like that in a person!

badger
8/6/2009, 03:38 PM
You are a heartless jack azz! I like that in a person!

It's not that I'm heartless, I'm just bitter. ;)

Eielson
8/6/2009, 04:09 PM
i don't disagree that he was basically a tailback most of the time that year...

He did so little that I think it is more proof that Florida doesn't need Tebow than anything else.

yermom
8/6/2009, 04:49 PM
i'm talking 2006 when he wasn't the starter

i'm pretty sure they needed him the last two years

adoniijahsooner
8/6/2009, 05:22 PM
In my mind Tommie Frazier is the greatest college QB. That guy was incredible and had the most dominant season I think ever culminating in whooping Florida's ***!

goingoneight
8/6/2009, 06:47 PM
It's pretty clear when guys like Adrian Peterson and Barry Sanders turn out to be FANTASTIC players at the next level that the whole "greatest player EVAR" argument is just stupid since we all know Tebow will be either a TE or FB if he can even make it in the Neffel.

TT = Good player on a great team. Courageous? Classy? Respectful? Yes. Most dominant and eye-popping talent to ever step on the college football field? Not even close.