PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Cigars

royalfan5
8/5/2009, 06:24 PM
So I have multiple relatives that just chew cigars instead of smoking them. Usually Dutch Masters or Swisher Sweets. I was just curious if this is still a semi-common practice.

setem
8/5/2009, 06:28 PM
I smoke one after every game win or lose. I chew them for a while but I eventually end up smoking them. I like Acids and Cohibas the best.

goingoneight
8/5/2009, 06:35 PM
How much have they had to drink? I tend to find myself smoking after I been drankin'.

sooner ngintunr
8/5/2009, 06:37 PM
I smoke em, chew on em? Only bookies and presidents do that shiit.:)

I like Oliva Serie V, Cohibas are good but $$$$

royalfan5
8/5/2009, 06:38 PM
How much have they had to drink? I tend to find myself smoking after I been drankin'.

Very little.

soonerinabilene
8/5/2009, 06:41 PM
I smoke one after every game win or lose. I chew them for a while but I eventually end up smoking them. I like Acids and Cohibas the best.

Acids. are. teh. win.

sooner ngintunr
8/5/2009, 06:47 PM
You need a separate humi for acids though.

I stay away from flavored cigars. Except the ones I hollow out.:D

Boomer Mooner
8/5/2009, 06:51 PM
I chew punch cigars about every day. Every now and then I'll smoke an AVO.

The Remnant
8/5/2009, 07:13 PM
A thread about cigars and nobody mentions Bill Clinton.

Boomer Mooner
8/5/2009, 07:19 PM
You need a separate humi for Bill's cigars, unless you like fish flavor.

LosAngelesSooner
8/5/2009, 08:14 PM
Huh. So you guys really like Acid brand cigars?

What are the flavors? And are they subtle flavors or are they really sugary/fake flavors?

Also, why do you guys recommend keeping flavored cigars in a separate humidor? I have a rather large humidor for all my cigars. Of course, in it I only have 1 or maybe 2 of the CAO flavored cigars that I keep for friends, but I didn't realize that they may be changing the flavors of my other cigars.

Thoughts? Opinions?

sooner ngintunr
8/5/2009, 08:23 PM

What are the flavors? And are they subtle flavors or are they really sugary/fake flavors?

Also, why do you guys recommend keeping flavored cigars in a separate humidor? I have a rather large humidor for all my cigars. Of course, in it I only have 1 or maybe 2 of the CAO flavored cigars that I keep for friends, but I didn't realize that they may be changing the flavors of my other cigars.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Any cigar that is "infused" with other flavors, ie acid cigars, phillies fruit, etc will transfer that smell or taste to any other cigar in a humi. If they are not in direct contact with each other, it will be very less noticable.

why someone would want to smoke a flavored cigar is beyond me. I mean, smoke one that is filled with tobacco that is.

mdklatt
8/5/2009, 08:29 PM
A thread about cigars and nobody mentions Bill Clinton.

Or SicEm.

Boomer Mooner
8/5/2009, 08:31 PM
why someone would want to smoke a flavored cigar is beyond me. I mean, smoke one that is filled with tobacco that is.

I agree. I don't even like to be around someone else smoking flavored cigars; they're just nasty smelling to me.

sooneron
8/5/2009, 11:12 PM
I know some girls that like flavored cigars...

Dominican Cohibas may be the biggest waste of money since the Opus X. Buy yourself a nice Bahia or Fuente Don Carlos. Quit trying to impress people with a band that isn't Cuban, srsly.

Fraggle145
8/6/2009, 12:24 AM

Flesh flavored? :pop:

SicEmBaylor
8/6/2009, 12:27 AM

If you chew on a Cohiba then you need your cigar smoking license revoked.

Acids are pure crap.

SicEmBaylor
8/6/2009, 12:31 AM

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm a 2-cigar a day guy, but I never ever smoke flavored cigars. They're absolute crap.

You keep flavored cigars separated though because if they're unwrapped they'll trade their flavor with the other cigars in your humidor which makes for a fairly nasty tasting cigar.

I keep two humidors. One stores cigars for immediate smoking and other is long term. I keep my every day humidor slightly over humidified.

Ditch the flavored cigars though -- seriously they're crap. And there's really only one decent machine made cigar that I've ever had. 99% of machine made sticks are absolute crap.

I wouldn't put a swisher sweet in my mouth if you had a gun to my head.

SicEmBaylor
8/6/2009, 12:32 AM

Dominican Cohibas may be the biggest waste of money since the Opus X. Buy yourself a nice Bahia or Fuente Don Carlos. Quit trying to impress people with a band that isn't Cuban, srsly.

If you can get a good deal on an Opus X then it's not a waste at all assuming you let it rest in your humidor for a minimum of one year. The Opus X straight off the shelf isn't worth the money, but if you age it for at least a year then it's one of the best things you've ever put between your lips.

Dominican Cohibas are good cigars, but they are over-priced.

SicEmBaylor
8/6/2009, 02:35 AM

I'll also say a lot of Cuban cigars are way over-rated. Just because it's Cuban doesn't mean its good. Their quality control has really suffered over the decades, and a lot of their sticks are plugged and unsmokable. There are plenty of Dominican and even Honduran cigars that are much better than some of the over-hyped Cubans. Having said that, Cuba still has the best leaf on the planet and when done right there aren't many cigars in the world that can match them.

I smoke a lot of cigars -- a lot; however, to this day my favorite cigars is just a plain old H.Upmann corona (Dominican). It's not the most expensive, and it certainly isn't one of the best but pound for pound it's my favorite "every day smoke." I always seem to go back to the Upmann corona when I'm finished experimenting with something else.

A few years ago, I actually wrote Altadis USA a nice letter telling them how much I appreciated their various lines especially the Upmanns. Their VP for Marketing sent me a hand written thank you note and a box of Upmanns to show their appreciation. Good people.

AlbqSooner
8/6/2009, 06:24 AM
Had a client back in the 80s who had quit smoking for about 15 years. He still went through 3-4 cigars a day. Ate the damn things. Kinda looked like he was chewing them, but they got shorter and shorter.

Flavored cigars are like flavored coffees. Okay I suppose by some standards, but why would you do that to a good cigar or a good cup of coffee?

H Uppman is a good cigar, but I prefer Punch.

StoopTroup
8/6/2009, 07:07 AM
Flavored Cigars are for fags.

Boomer Mooner
8/6/2009, 07:10 AM
Had a client back in the 80s who had quit smoking for about 15 years. He still went through 3-4 cigars a day. Ate the damn things. Kinda looked like he was chewing them, but they got shorter and shorter.

Flavored cigars are like flavored coffees. Okay I suppose by some standards, but why would you do that to a good cigar or a good cup of coffee?

H Uppman is a good cigar, but I prefer Punch.

He may have been just using a cutter and cutting off pieces at a time...thats what I do. I really don't even chew them. I hold the cigar with my teeth and mostly just put my tongue against the the cigar. When it gets a little messy I just cut off about a half inch and start over with fresh tobacco.

I'm not nearly the connoisseur Sic'em is, but I've smoked a few. I keep coming back to the AVO #3. The AVO always burns evenly, stays lit, and is consistent throughout the smoke. What I mean by that is after its lit the strength or taste or whatever you want to call it is the same right down to the last inch.

Boomer Mooner
8/6/2009, 07:13 AM
Flavored Cigars are for fags.

That's not true! Girls like them too.

sooner ngintunr
8/6/2009, 12:04 PM
Bahia are hard to find. Didn't his distributor dump him or something? If anyone knows where to find one in Tulsa vicinity, let me know.

soonerinabilene
8/6/2009, 04:25 PM
The ACID's arent your typical "flavored" cigar. They are not vanilla or grape or strawberry or whatever other flavor people like to wrap around weed. They are more earthy and nutty. I prefer the Kuba Kuba or Liquid, but the ONE is very good, just extremely hard to find. I dont have my own humidor or anything like that. There is a VERY nice cigar store downtown that has a huge selection, and when Im in the mood for one i just swing by and get it.

StoopTroup
8/6/2009, 05:40 PM

Whatever. :D

Stogie Pig Rus disagrees....lol

J8luR2NllKc

Fraggle145
8/6/2009, 05:41 PM

Flesh flavored? :O

StoopTroup
8/6/2009, 05:45 PM
0euplRrCJ60

SicEmBaylor
8/7/2009, 02:50 AM
I'll tell you one flavored cigar I would like to try...

The Maker's Mark Cigar. MMMMM....bourbon flavored stogies.

https://tasteofbourbon.com/AltImages/088_TOB_MakersMarkCigars_Big_Glass.jpg

StoopTroup
8/7/2009, 09:01 AM
I'll agree with you on that one Sicy Baby....:D

LosAngelesSooner
8/7/2009, 10:30 PM
I'll tell you one flavored cigar I would like to try...

The Maker's Mark Cigar. MMMMM....bourbon flavored stogies.

https://tasteofbourbon.com/AltImages/088_TOB_MakersMarkCigars_Big_Glass.jpg

Had 'em.

Sorry, guys. They're crap.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2009, 03:52 AM
Had 'em.

Sorry, guys. They're crap.

Must you always be the fly in the ointment? ;)

StoopTroup
8/8/2009, 05:17 AM
Always.

And for the record...I've never tried one....mostly because of my original thought on a good cigar is hand rolled from a tobacco that is pleasing to my nose prior to setting it afire.

Now...having a good bourbon while smoking such a cigar is also pleasing. Maker's isn't my favorite...so mixing it with a tobacco that might not have been pleasing to my nose isn't going to leave me with a good impression...however...it might be OK to chew on.

I've tried cigars that other people didn't care for. I've tried cigars other people raved about. I've found that whether Cigar Aficionado rates a cigar even with a 100...it still might not be pleasing to me.

Thus...whether or not LAS thinks they are crap...it doesn't mean a thing to me until I try it.

LosAngelesSooner
8/8/2009, 05:33 AM
Ah...so you're gonna shoot the messenger when all I was doing is exactly what everyone else on here was doing: giving their opinions regarding various cigars.

Suit yourself.

When it comes to politics, I understand you guys doubting/disagreeing with me on principal. When it comes to cigars and whiskey, you're just being dumb. I smoked these at the distillery WITH Bill Samuels and Kevin Smith (the Master Distiller, not Silent Bob) while drinking their whiskey.

So smoke away. Then you can come back and tell me I was right. They are low grade tabacco, rolled (usually) far too tightly and are overpriced simply because they say "Maker's Mark" and have pretty red wax on them. *shrug* Makes no difference to me.

StoopTroup
8/8/2009, 05:45 AM
You can't read can you?

Thus...whether or not LAS thinks they are crap...it doesn't mean a thing to me until I try it.

LosAngelesSooner
8/8/2009, 01:50 PM
I can read, and comprehend, perfectly fine.

I was just trying to save you the money and time.

StoopTroup
8/9/2009, 09:04 AM
I'm not letting you get the last word in on this.

I'm not gonna actually pay for one either. SicEm is buying. :D

LosAngelesSooner
8/9/2009, 01:36 PM
Good. I'm not surprised that he'd be willing to buy something expensive for someone who's not gonna "give it up."

;)

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2009, 04:14 PM
Good. I'm not surprised that he'd be willing to buy something expensive for someone who's not gonna "give it up."

;)

How do you know he won't give it up?

LosAngelesSooner
8/9/2009, 04:33 PM
Like I said...the ceegars aren't that good. :D

StoopTroup
8/9/2009, 09:37 PM
Free is free and if it's free...it's me.

LosAngelesSooner
8/9/2009, 10:18 PM
Cigar slut.

:D

StoopTroup
8/9/2009, 10:27 PM
I've bought enough...it's time for payback.

setem
8/10/2009, 12:26 AM
Troup, what are some decently priced cigars I should be on the look out for? I like almost anything from Drew Estate that is just my preference though. I am sure you have smoked Angel turds or something so I am looking for some insight!

tidalmouse
8/10/2009, 07:36 AM
I like a Padron.It's Dominican and average 4.00-4.50.To me anyways,it's a little smoother than some I've paid more for.There's plenty that are better out there,but I usually settle on it cause I know I'll enjoy it.jmho :pop:

StoopTroup
8/10/2009, 08:09 AM
Troup, what are some decently priced cigars I should be on the look out for? I like almost anything from Drew Estate that is just my preference though. I am sure you have smoked Angel turds or something so I am looking for some insight!

I don't know any decent priced ones. If they cost more than $5 they are all over priced as far as I'm concerned. Thing is the last one I smoked cost me about $11.

When Clinton started smoking them the price went through the roof.

tidalmouse
8/10/2009, 08:17 AM
I thought Monica had her Lips on the Cigar. ;)

StoopTroup
8/10/2009, 08:19 AM
Well...there was that too.

C&CDean
8/10/2009, 02:39 PM
I thought Monica had her Lips on the Cigar. ;)

If by "lips" you mean her hanging, ragged banana leaf looking, looked like she got hit in the crotch with a ****ing machete **** lips then yes, her lips.

setem
8/10/2009, 03:09 PM
LOOKS LIKE AN OLD CATCHERS MIT!