PDA

View Full Version : Should Sam call his own audibles this yr?

adoniijahsooner
8/5/2009, 10:12 AM
I believe he is intelligent and experienced enough to do it. I would certainly trust him, but I am not the coach. What do you guys think? looking to the sideline seemed to slow us at times last year, I think it helps us if he allowed to do it.

badger
8/5/2009, 10:46 AM
I believe he is intelligent and experienced enough to do it. I would certainly trust him, but I am not the coach. What do you guys think? looking to the sideline seemed to slow us at times last year, I think it helps us if he allowed to do it.

It kept the other team off guard. If we went any faster... well... insert your own joke about going really fast, heh.

I wondered if it was just for show half the time and just to keep the other team off guard.

soonersam
8/5/2009, 10:53 AM
I feel its actually faster when the sideline calls it in.. WR's RB's and TE's all get the signal at the same time... If Sam calls it, he'll have to signal them himself. At the very least eye contact with each player to make sure they got it!!

adoniijahsooner
8/5/2009, 01:29 PM
It kept the other team off guard. If we went any faster... well... insert your own joke about going really fast, heh.

I wondered if it was just for show half the time and just to keep the other team off guard.

true that.

JLEW1818
8/5/2009, 01:31 PM
he's smart enough.. that's for sure

fadada1
8/5/2009, 01:59 PM
UF took advantage of the "lookback audible" coming from the sidelines by doing nothing, imo. i say give sam a primary play and a backup to use if needed (if he sees something). i don't think it would be too complicated to do that. if the first two plays don't work, then look to the sidelines.

but what do i know?

stoopified
8/5/2009, 02:04 PM
Sam can and has already called audibles since he first became starter.I think what you are referring to is changes in playcalling from the sideline.Those are based on what the O-coaches see from the pressbox and relay to sidelines.That will not change but Sam will continue to grow as a qb and his on- field leadership will reflect that.

GottaHavePride
8/5/2009, 03:50 PM
Put me down as someone who hates the whole "get ready to run a play then everyone stop, step back, stare at the sideline for 5 seconds, then get re-set and run a play" thing.

JLEW1818
8/5/2009, 04:02 PM
Put me down as someone who hates the whole "get ready to run a play then everyone stop, step back, stare at the sideline for 5 seconds, then get re-set and run a play" thing.

i don't like it either

i get so pumped, and then they stop,,, i say no!!!!

this year i will count, the number of times we do that, and the success rate

yermom
8/5/2009, 04:05 PM
at least 12 of the teams we played last year didn't like it either ;)

soonersam
8/5/2009, 04:11 PM

Its a great tool to keep frsh defensive players from subin, especially on 3rd downs!!!

I like it... The defense is forced to line up immediately or the QB sneaks for 8 yards!

GottaHavePride
8/5/2009, 04:18 PM
It just always looked to me like it gave the defense way too long to adjust to whatever we were doing.

soonersam
8/5/2009, 04:26 PM
It just always looked to me like it gave the defense way too long to adjust to whatever we were doing.

Yeah,, but it does throw off the timing of blitz's.... Teams are waiting to see our set before setting up the slots for a blitz

badger
8/5/2009, 04:27 PM

can't argue with the results:

http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2008/12/07/big12BIS.jpg

OUMallen
8/5/2009, 04:28 PM

Look how well it worked last year???!!! Sorry it doesn't meet your preferences or expectations! :rolleyes:

GKeeper316
8/5/2009, 04:48 PM
one thing i noticed during the games vs the cows and florida, those 2 defenses were constantly changing their looks when sam would audible, forcing another audible and costing precious time.

at some point kevin wilson has to just line his boys up and play some hard nosed smash mouth beat em in the trenches football.

DMAFB_Sooner08
8/5/2009, 05:59 PM

If by slow us down, you mean we didnt score 70 points/game, then yes it did slow us down. I like it a lot, you really can't argue/complain about the results!

BoulderSooner79
8/5/2009, 06:09 PM
I think pace of the plays is at exactly what the coaches wanted. The goal of the no-huddle is not really hurry-up - the main goal is to stop the defense from substituting and then exploiting match-up advantages. The coach did throw in a few hurry up series per game to further mess with the defenses minds. But usually, calling the play at the line was no different than in the huddle and there is no reason to hurry if there is advantage of using the allowed clock time. It may look weird to fans, but I got used to it. The defense may jump around or do nothing like UF, but the premise is still that they don't know what is coming. If they do know, then the signaling system is broken and they could steal from a QB in the huddle too.

Even with all the cat and mouse at the line, we still average more plays per game than anyone else, so I don't see any need to hurry more (except to stop annoying you folks :) )

goingoneight
8/5/2009, 06:16 PM
Saying Tejas did anything defensively but **** their pants against Sam and ther no-huddle is PHAIL. They caught a major break with Reynolds going down.

Now, Florida had three things going for them.

1. An offense that contrary to it's advertisement, was based on powerful, time-consuming running. See: the entire 4th quarter.

2. Defensive talent that nobody else besides OUr own team had all year long. Someone might have had a standout DT like Suh at Nebraska, someone might have had a Brian Orakpo or a Chris Harris... but no one had the depth that UF had at every position. Bottom line: UF had a defense... no one else we played did, really. TCU and UC were good, but not major D-1 good... OUr offense proved that much. Assuming you have talent and you're playing for an MNC means usually you have a pretty good DC. Charlie Strong had his guys primed and ready for all of the tricky no-huddle gimmicks and snap counts. If you'll notice, there was VERY little penalties in the trenches that night by either team. They were lined up and ready every down. It showed toughness, conditioning and great film study on their part. The one element they claimed to fame was speed, and we were running right there with them, so that was a wash.

3. Just a little bit better leadership than we had. As much as we hate Tebow at times on here, we'd have absolutely LOVED it if Tebow was the guy walking silently off the field after a big interception... but Tebow owned up to it and went right back to the drawing board. We'd also have LOVED it it Sam trucked over that smack-talking Brandon Spikes like Tebow trucked over Nic Harris. We'd have probably passed out from sheer joy if he jumped up and heckled Spikes the way Tebow did Harris. Not saying we didn't play with heart last year, we clearly did... but the Tebow speech clearly wasn't a fake. Corny and funny as it seems, it worked for them. Now, do we need Sam to cry in front of a camera? Do we need Bob to tell the media how old he is and defend his backup QB? Do we need OUr guys to pump their chests and yell "BIG-12-BIG-12!!!" ??? No. We've won an MNC already under Stoops based on just going out there and playing Oklahoma football and playing the cards as they were dealt... we'll do it again eventually. Maybe Sam and Co took just a little something more than film review from the humbling experiences in Dallas and Miami last year, though.

goingoneight
8/5/2009, 06:18 PM
Too add, it didn't hurt them that one of the most dangerous players in college football was on crutches that night.

kansascitysooner
8/5/2009, 07:10 PM
Too add, it didn't hurt them that one of the most dangerous players in college football was on crutches that night.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!

BoulderSooner79
8/5/2009, 07:39 PM
Saying Tejas did anything defensively but **** their pants against Sam and ther no-huddle is PHAIL. They caught a major break with Reynolds going down.

Now, Florida had three things going for them.

1. An offense that contrary to it's advertisement, was based on powerful, time-consuming running. See: the entire 4th quarter.

2. Defensive talent that nobody else besides OUr own team had all year long. Someone might have had a standout DT like Suh at Nebraska, someone might have had a Brian Orakpo or a Chris Harris... but no one had the depth that UF had at every position. Bottom line: UF had a defense... no one else we played did, really. TCU and UC were good, but not major D-1 good... OUr offense proved that much. Assuming you have talent and you're playing for an MNC means usually you have a pretty good DC. Charlie Strong had his guys primed and ready for all of the tricky no-huddle gimmicks and snap counts. If you'll notice, there was VERY little penalties in the trenches that night by either team. They were lined up and ready every down. It showed toughness, conditioning and great film study on their part. The one element they claimed to fame was speed, and we were running right there with them, so that was a wash.

3. Just a little bit better leadership than we had. As much as we hate Tebow at times on here, we'd have absolutely LOVED it if Tebow was the guy walking silently off the field after a big interception... but Tebow owned up to it and went right back to the drawing board. We'd also have LOVED it it Sam trucked over that smack-talking Brandon Spikes like Tebow trucked over Nic Harris. We'd have probably passed out from sheer joy if he jumped up and heckled Spikes the way Tebow did Harris. Not saying we didn't play with heart last year, we clearly did... but the Tebow speech clearly wasn't a fake. Corny and funny as it seems, it worked for them. Now, do we need Sam to cry in front of a camera? Do we need Bob to tell the media how old he is and defend his backup QB? Do we need OUr guys to pump their chests and yell "BIG-12-BIG-12!!!" ??? No. We've won an MNC already under Stoops based on just going out there and playing Oklahoma football and playing the cards as they were dealt... we'll do it again eventually. Maybe Sam and Co took just a little something more than film review from the humbling experiences in Dallas and Miami last year, though.

1) Yes, although I didn't see UF advertised differently. Tebow is a brute of a tailback who can pass and Harvin was the premium scatback. The way to counter this is for your offense to move the ball too.

2) Exactly. Their D was good which means our O needed to execute when they had their chances - which they did have. Much tighter tolerances than against any other team as would be expected in title game.

3) You may be right - I just don't see that rah-rah making a big difference. Bottom line is make the plays when you have the chance. Both QBs had 2 picks and I don't care how they walk off the field - I care how they play the next series. Sam is not going to be Mr. Rah-Rah this year either and that doesn't bother me. He will be a stronger leader in his own way.

soonerfan28
8/5/2009, 07:42 PM
I think we could try it for the Idaho St game because it's not like those guy are going to be running difficult schemes.

BoulderSooner79
8/5/2009, 07:43 PM

^This

And to relate it back to this thread. The no huddle is perfect when you have a guy like DM on the field - instant match-up nightmare.

SoonerKnight
8/6/2009, 02:19 AM
We should have gone for 3 on fourth down. Seriously the game was close enough that we would have taken the lead and started to get our swagger! Remember 2000. We went for the 3's! Also, our D played great but if you compare Florida's D last year and OU's D in 2000 OU wins. Florida had a good D but I agree with the post that said after that big hit the receivers were hearing foot steps. Also, what happened to using a FB when on the 2 or 3 yard line.

Our D also did not punish their receivers like they did us and I think Gresham should have been used more the guy is good for five yards a possesion at least!! Maybe I am wrong but that is what I think lost us the game. We played hard we played tough and I liked that our D played really well!! I think this year we are unstoppable. I think our D could be as good as 2000. If that is so look out mamma here we come!!! :D

SoonerKnight
8/6/2009, 02:20 AM
How come under Stoops OU has never scored mor than 14pts in a MNC game???

gaylordfan1
8/6/2009, 03:12 AM
Sam will call more plays this year... granted. This years fast-tempo offense will put last years fast-tempo offense to shame! You have to keep in mind that last year was our first year for this up-tempo spread. If we did that good with our first year experiment, what makes you think the second year will not be even better. Add a few more surpises and say hello to the MNC!