PDA

View Full Version : Gresham impressed with WR Kenney

adoniijahsooner
8/5/2009, 06:49 AM
According to Jake Trotter.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2009/07/28/gresham-high-on-kenney/

Gresham high on Kenney
Posted by Jake Trotteron July 28, 2009 at 1:09 pm Another reporter during Big 12 Media Days Tuesday in Dallas was asking Sooner tight end Jermaine Gresham about OU’s wideouts, and Gresham responded by listing his thoughts on each of OU’s receivers.

But Gresham left out one player, who ironically is the one that has impressed him as much as any other receiver: junior-college transfer Cameron Kenney.

When reminded, Gresham replied, “How could I forget him? He’s cold. I like him a lot.”

Kenney will challenge a host of other players for one of OU’s vacant starting wide receiving spots. At worst, he is expected to contribute significantly to the rotation.

I think they want Kenney to be a surprise, and I truly believe the reciever position will be better and deeper this year. Thoughts?

CK Sooner
8/5/2009, 08:11 AM
I don't think it will be better, but I think it has the potential to get us to a national championship. You may be able to say that next year.

gaylordfan1
8/5/2009, 08:49 AM
I have posted this in another thread... C Kenney, newcomer of the year? I think so. He's big, I think I read he put on a solid 10lbs before reporting to campus. He is also a 4.5-4.6 guy. And with Broyles on the outside, our other receivers will have less focus on them and will see plenty of action. We will see in one month today!

adoniijahsooner
8/5/2009, 08:52 AM
I don't think it will be better, but I think it has the potential to get us to a national championship. You may be able to say that next year.

I think the size we can throw out there this year will help greatly. Miller, Owens, Kenney, and Tennell are all over 6-2; from what i have seen from tennell in the spring, the guy can play and has tremendous hands. moving madu to the slot is a matchup problem. Finally, Broyles will add more explosiveness on the outside than JI. Trust me, the unit as a whole will be better.

gaylordfan1
8/5/2009, 08:55 AM
As long as they can catch what Bradford blazes their way, we will be fine.

htownsooner7
8/5/2009, 10:37 AM
Tennell and Caleb will get reps well before Kenney does. If they perform well, Kenney is relegated to being the 5th or 6th option at best.

rainiersooner
8/5/2009, 10:43 AM
I thought receivers wanted to be hot, not cold. I just can't keep up with the kids.

Pigface1
8/5/2009, 01:08 PM
I know that at minimum Kenney is one bad mofo in NCAA 2010. :D

adoniijahsooner
8/5/2009, 01:36 PM
Tennell and Caleb will get reps well before Kenney does. If they perform well, Kenney is relegated to being the 5th or 6th option at best.

I dont agree. If CK is a better reciever than those 2, then he'll see the field first. We have a chance to win a NC, so Stoops will not be concerned with loyalty.

soonerfan28
8/5/2009, 01:38 PM
Tennell might because he had a good spring and from all indications he's had a good summer, but Caleb has only proven that he is prone to injuries at this point.

htownsooner7
8/5/2009, 02:02 PM
I dont agree. If CK is a better reciever than those 2, then he'll see the field first. We have a chance to win a NC, so Stoops will not be concerned with loyalty.

I wasn't referring to loyalty issues, but just who will get the first crack. Tennell and Caleb have plenty of ability. If they make plays, they will get the first opportunities. I don't see Kenney as being the type of phenom that jumps everybody. I compare it to Balogun's situation. He was a very good prospect, but still stayed behind the other guys until the very end when injuries required his presence.

goingoneight
8/5/2009, 06:25 PM
Caleb looks like a "dependable" guy in the mold of Iglesias from last year. I can see him just based on experience starting and working the role of the guy Sam checks down to on the right side a lot.

We have a boatload of big oustide guys. Tennell must really have FINALLY hit his stride if he's playing ahead of DeJuan Miller and Jameel Owens. And the Broyles/Madu/Murray selection inside looks good, too.

Just guessing, but I think Kenney's major competition for PT is Caleb.

soonerfan28
8/5/2009, 07:34 PM
Maybe this should be another thread, but how many WR's play.
1.Tennell
2.Broyles
3.Kenney
4.Caleb
5.Madu
Miller and Owens? They both have redhshirts that can be used.

gaylordfan1
8/5/2009, 08:40 PM
I'm ready to see what Miller can do. He has the frame. He still looks like a RB when he's in stide.

adoniijahsooner
8/7/2009, 06:15 AM
Here's a vid of the WR doing footwork, and #6 Kenney looks the best.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-footbl/08aug/20090806_wrs.wmv&school=okla&

soonerboy_odanorth
8/7/2009, 10:59 AM
Don't be shocked if he ends up as our punter too. He can boom it.

gaylordfan1
8/7/2009, 11:09 AM
Here's a vid of the WR doing footwork, and #6 Kenney looks the best.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-footbl/08aug/20090806_wrs.wmv&school=okla&

yup, him and Broyles. we will see when they start showing vids of them running routes and catching the ball.

soonersalesman
8/8/2009, 02:24 PM
I personally see Kenney as a possible Sooner version of Wes Welker. A guy that's athletic enough and smart enough to play all over the field. Simply too many schools wanted a JUCO wide receiver for this guy not to be something special.

Sometimes a guy is just a football player. A solid athlete that has savvy and simply understands the game. Steve Zabel was like that. The dude played both ways and on special teams.

I rarely get excited about JUCO players. Even the Torrance Marshalls and Pasha Jacksons of the world. But sometimes you just see video, see things, written, and even just see something in a guy's eyes that says this guy is going to be something. Wort has that same look. The Brian Bosworth cocky as hell but extremely capable look.

Kenney isn't necessarily cocky but the fact he could see the advantages of playing with Bradford rather then go home to Georgia and play in front of the home crowd tells me he has a head on his shoulders that can look past the emotion and calculate his chances of success and contributing to a team. A guy that likes a challenge and thrives on competition.

I just think Bradford is going to be very pleased with his new receiver. :)

JLEW1818
8/8/2009, 02:32 PM
Bob said Keeney can punt too

CK Sooner
8/8/2009, 02:34 PM
Bob said Keeney can punt too

Yep, he and Tress are competing for the job.

MojoRisen
8/8/2009, 03:30 PM
Bob likes that Kenney runs a legit 44 while punting - I see some fakes put in maybe even a third and very long run/punt option!

IronHorseSooner
8/9/2009, 06:36 AM
Like it or not, his footwork drills come from being a soccer player all of his life. The cone drill used in the vid is not unlike the come drill used to get around defenders in soccer. This guy simply has too much ability not to find something for him to do. I, too, see him as a Wes Welker type player. Wes was also a soccer player.

adoniijahsooner
8/9/2009, 08:15 AM
Like it or not, his footwork drills come from being a soccer player all of his life. The cone drill used in the vid is not unlike the come drill used to get around defenders in soccer. This guy simply has too much ability not to find something for him to do. I, too, see him as a Wes Welker type player. Wes was also a soccer player.

have we ever had a Wes Welker type before? Coaches and players love this guy, I see him being a major problem this year for every team we play. I tend to agree with Kevin Wilson's qoute on media day that we added, and this team is more diverse than last years team. :pop:

stoopified
8/9/2009, 09:54 AM
have we ever had a Wes Welker type before? Coaches and players love this guy, I see him being a major problem this year for every team we play. I tend to agree with Kevin Wilson's qoute on media day that we added, and this team is more diverse than last years team. :pop:Savage,Clayton,Iglesias all come to mind as Welker-type players who can catch the ball,run after catch and are studs in the return game.I also believe Broyles fits that mold.

htownsooner7
8/9/2009, 08:28 PM
Agreed. Broyles is definitely a Welker type.

MojoRisen
8/9/2009, 09:34 PM
SoonerSports has some good clips of the WR today... They look good to me

Brandon Caleb seems to hustle the most. I would have to say from those clips Broyles, Tennel, Caleb, Madu, Miller, Owens. They all looked good though and Dejuan Miller is huge - looks like he put on about 15 pounds.