PDA

View Full Version : 4 Killed, 10 Others Shot at Pittsburgh-Area Gym

CK Sooner
8/5/2009, 12:58 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,537004,00.html

BRIDGEVILLE, Pennsylvania — An armed man strolled to the back of an exercise class at a health club in suburban Pittsburgh on Tuesday night and then pulled out two guns and started spraying bullets, leaving four people dead, including himself, and injuring at least 10 others, police said.

"He did not say anything," Allegheny County police Superintendent Charles Moffatt said. "He walked right into the room where the shootings occurred as if he knew exactly where he was going."

The shooting was at the L.A. Fitness Center in Bridgeville, a community of about 5,000 residents not far from downtown Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh International Airport.

St. Clair Hospital said one of the victims of the shooting died there. Spokesman Rich Sieber said the woman was shot in the chest. He said two other victims were taken to his hospital, both in stable condition.

UPMC Mercy Hospital said five victims arrived in critical condition there. Allegheny General Hospital said it had two women in fair condition with gunshot wounds.

Debi Wozniak, of Dormont, a suburb of Pittsburgh, is a regular at the weekly Latin impact dance exercise class. She was running late Tuesday night and didn't make it, but she said her sister, Joann Gazzam, was in the class.

Gazzam told Wozniak that a man came in through the glass double doors at the exercise room's entrance. He walked to the back of the room near some weights and set down a bag, fumbled with it for a few minutes and came up with what Gazzam said were apparently two guns and began shooting.

Gazzam told Wozniak that several people appeared to be wounded, including the instructor, and that it was apparent that four people were dead and that the gunman had killed himself.

"She told me, 'Debi, I seen everything. Oh, my God, I seen everything. I seen him pull out the guns,"' Wozniak said.

Moffatt said police recovered two guns from the scene. He would not discuss a possible motive for the shooting, whose victims hadn't been identified.

"As you can imagine in a fitness club, they don't have identification on them," he said.

Loretta Moss, 44, of McDonald, said she was exercising on a treadmill when she heard a popping noise.

"I didn't pay any attention, and the next minute, people were screaming," said Moss, who had come to the gym Tuesday night for the first time in a couple of weeks. She said she then heard more pops.

"There was a like a whole spray of them. I'd say about 15 altogether, and then people started screaming and yelling and started running out the building," she said.

"We laid down, and then after the last set of ... gunshots, we got up, and someone said run."

Moss said she then saw two young women bleeding, one in the leg and one shot in the shoulder. She said she checked on the pulse of the lady shot in the leg

"She was screaming, 'It's burning, just please call the ambulance,"' Moss said.

Brad Bolt of Dormont and Phil Fagan of Green Tree, both 20, were working out in a room next to the room where the shooting happened. They both said they heard about a dozen rapidly fired shots and Fagan said a girl came running out of the exercise room, yelling "'Shots fired, call 911, get out."'

The fitness center, which opened last year, is in a strip mall called the Great Southern Shopping Center, where a few businesses were destroyed in a 2006 fire. It said in a statement: "Each of us in the LA Fitness family are shocked and saddened by the senseless acts of violence that took place."

Crucifax Autumn
8/5/2009, 04:23 AM
Crazy shat!

kbsooner21
8/5/2009, 08:04 AM
What the eff is wrong with people?

CK Sooner
8/5/2009, 08:13 AM

Some people are just ****ed up.

beer4me
8/5/2009, 08:29 AM
Seen that on the news this morning before I left for work.

That's a good question kbsooner21. I just don't get it dang.

Like the two little girls that were murdered in Weleetka just senseless.

SteelCitySooner
8/5/2009, 08:45 AM
This happened in my area. Bridgeville is about 10 minutes away from me..hell I used to live in Bridgeville up until about 5 years ago. I actually thought about joining that gym once. wow.

beer4me
8/5/2009, 08:58 AM
This happened in my area. Bridgeville is about 10 minutes away from me..hell I used to live in Bridgeville up until about 5 years ago. I actually thought about joining that gym once. wow.

I wondered how far that was from you. Bad deal.

GottaHavePride
8/5/2009, 11:53 AM

From a UK article about this, they said he had a website up that talked about this attack - he had been planning it for 9 months or so.

Apparently, he was frustrated that he had no luck with women.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/article.html?LA_Fitness_gunman_was_sex_starved&in_article_id=715038&in_page_id=64

TheUnnamedSooner
8/5/2009, 02:18 PM
Here is a copy of his blog. Pretty messed up.

http://www.halfsigma.com/2009/08/george-sodinis-diary-page.html

TMcGee86
8/5/2009, 03:01 PM
wow. That was one ****ed up dood.

This quote made me laugh. Sorry, I know it's tragic but still:

College girls are hoez. I masturbate. Frequently.

#1 SOONER FAN
8/5/2009, 03:14 PM
Total ignorance, hell use the credit card and get some sex or the ole right hand can do the job pretty well.

yermom
8/5/2009, 03:32 PM
i guess since he had no friends no one was reading his blog :eek:

yermom
8/5/2009, 03:32 PM
Total ignorance, hell use the credit card and get some sex or the ole right hand can do the job pretty well.

check out post #10 ;)

walkoffsooner
8/5/2009, 05:26 PM
always carry a gun you never know when you may need it. Or hope I am near.

the_ouskull
8/6/2009, 02:39 AM
Psychopathy, to be certain, but what else?

With the exception of the establishment of his interpersonal relationships, he sounds like he had Dissocial Personality Disorder. Then again, it seemed like, in reading the blog, that he at least MET women. But, it was his inability to maintain relationships that he found the most frustrating; most likely due to "shallow affect." (When someone who feels no emotion tries to display them, it often puts people off even more than if they'd done nothing. People have a pretty good, innate "bad"-detector. Because their emotions aren't real, they're considered "shallow," and because they're faking the emotions, it is said that they're "affecting" them. Hence, the name...)

Anyway... It was as if he wasn't preparing for his future, because, deep down, he knew he wouldn't have one anyway...

An interesting take might be to question whether or not he had Schizoid Personality Disorder. Even though some of the criteria would contradict things that he wrote, it's quite possible. I mean, seriously, if you're a decent-looking guy, and REALLY want to get laid, it's not that difficult. This guy was at least decent-looking, and worked out, AND he had a good job. If he wasn't getting laid, maybe it was because (maybe even subconsciously) he didn't want to...

Attachment is a driving force for this guy, according to his writings, but if he does have Schizoid Personality Disorder, then he would also be narcissistic, which bears out in both his inflated opinion of himself (especially compared to others) and his desire to work out, in order to maintain his physical appearance. So, if he's deeply narcissistic, then he wouldn't have to attach to an outside source; a wife, girlfriend, or work - in order to find happiness. He would be able to find it within himself; for a while, anyway...

Due to the issues with his brother, AvPD shouldn't be ruled out either...

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes out about this guy over the next few months... I'd like to see if I'm close.

the_ouskull

MrJimBeam
8/6/2009, 01:35 PM
i guess since he had no friends no one was reading his blog :eek:

Or setting him up with womenfolk.

sooneron
8/6/2009, 01:41 PM
I had no idea that people still took aerobics classes.

the_ouskull
8/7/2009, 01:55 PM
Or setting him up with womenfolk.

Well, most guys (single guys, anyway) don't "set their friends up," and, if this guy gave off such a creepy vibe that, even though he was decent-looking and made good money at a well-respected job that single women didn't show him more interest, then it's safe to assume that he wouldn't have been friends with many married couples for very long either.

Married guys, am I right? How often do you really still see (get to see?) your more "questionable" friends?

(And no, SF.com tailgates do NOT count, and questionable or not, Dean is NOT your "BFF," no matter how many shots of sweet, ****-warm Crown Royal he tries to get you to drink with him. :D)

the_ouskull

oumartin
8/7/2009, 02:49 PM
this dude reminds me of a few people on this board

C&CDean
8/7/2009, 02:51 PM
I'll have you know that I drink my shots of Crown at room temp. I can't help it if it's 108 ****ing degrees in the room.

I ain't much on all the psychoanalysis babble. To me, these kind of guys are just bat**** crazy, and my only wish is that they'd just off themselves and not have to kill other people on their trip to the great beyond.

beer4me
8/7/2009, 04:23 PM
I'll have you know that I drink my shots of Crown at room temp. I can't help it if it's 108 ****ing degrees in the room.

I ain't much on all the psychoanalysis babble. To me, these kind of guys are just bat**** crazy, and my only wish is that they'd just off themselves and not have to kill other people on their trip to the great beyond.

THIS^^^^^

(Both points me likey Crown)

the_ouskull
8/11/2009, 03:38 PM

You know me well enough to know that I agree with your analysis as well, man. But, if there are "hyper-rational" explanations for things, I want to find them. I like seeing how things that aren't timepieces tick.

the_ouskull