PDA

View Full Version : OU, Army announce home & home......

Salt City Sooner
8/4/2009, 09:47 AM
2018 in Norman, 2020 @ West Point:

NORMAN, Okla. - Oklahoma and Army have signed an agreement to begin a two-game football series in 2018. OU and the United States Military Academy made the joint announcement today.

The Sooners will host the Black Knights on Sept. 22, 2018, then travel to West Point, NY, to return the game on Sept. 26, 2020.

"Naturally, we're thrilled to announce this agreement with Army," said OU Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Programs & Director of Athletics Joe Castiglione. "We have tremendous respect for what the Academy represents and will be privileged to share the football field with its team.

"We also recognize the large number of military personnel serving in the general vicinity of Norman and we hope that this series intrigues and excites them just as it does us. And, of course, on the return game, we will be very near New York City, which provides very good East Coast exposure for our program and university."

The games will represent the fourth and fifth between the two institutions, who have not met since 1961. OU leads the series, 2-1.

The two first played on Sept. 28, 1946, when defending national champion Army over-powered a surprisingly strong Sooner team under first-year head coach Jim Tatum, 21-7, at West Point.

The next bout took place in Norman on Nov. 14, 1959, when Bud Wilkinson's Oklahoma team scored a 28-20 victory. Another Wilkinson team prevailed over Army at Yankee Stadium in New York City, 14-8, on Nov. 18, 1961.

Oklahoma is 3-2 overall against the service academies with a 1-0 mark against Air Force and an 0-1 record against Navy.

Air Force will play at Norman on Sept. 18, 2010.

Marquee names continue to dot upcoming Oklahoma schedules. These games are already on future slates: at Miami (2009), Florida State (2010), at Florida State (2011), Notre Dame (2012), at Notre Dame (2013), Tennessee (2014), at Tennessee (2015), Ohio State (2016), at Ohio State (2017) and LSU in 2018 and 2019.

Under Bob Stoops, Oklahoma has played Louisville, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Alabama (twice), UCLA (twice), Oregon (twice), Washington (twice), South Florida and Miami (Fla.) in regular season contests.

http://soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080409aaa.html

SeattleOUstudent
8/4/2009, 10:10 AM
Ill get pumped up for this after we finally get our revenge on Notre Dame. Theyve only been holding off for like 10 years?

C&CDean
8/4/2009, 10:15 AM
Of all the service academies, West Point is the purdiest. This will be a must-attend road game.

sooneron
8/4/2009, 10:15 AM
I was about to get all pumped and giddy about the Sooners playing an hour from my place, then I thought, "crap, I'll be out of my mind if I still live up here 11 years from now!"

sooneron
8/4/2009, 10:17 AM
Why would we schedule a home and home with two POS fanbases like tOSU and lsu?

oudivesherpa
8/4/2009, 10:20 AM
West Point is truly a beautiful place and when I told my wife that it was just about 65 miles north of New York City she said' "we have to go." He** it's 11years from now by then she'll probably forget.

Sooner FLiP
8/4/2009, 11:25 AM
this will def be an away game to go to. i took my father to the Air Force/Navy game last season and it was probably the coolest pregame i had ever seen. not because of the crazy yelling and cannon fire, but how the entire dang stadium stood at attention during the anthem and how everyone marched/saluted. not to mention the assortment of planes that flew by.

badger
8/4/2009, 12:12 PM
I know that they won't improve our SoS by any means, but it's still very cool to play a historic power.

swardboy
8/4/2009, 12:27 PM
Does this really help our program due to the NYC exposure. I mean, I'm honored to play Army, but I'm not catching the benefit to OU. It's not exactly a recruiting hotbed for us.

Or is it just about votes?

goingoneight
8/4/2009, 12:40 PM
It's about exposure.
On the field we'll have nothing to gain, but everything to lose.
Better than Utah State, Chatanooga and UNT if you ask me. WAYYY better.

JLEW1818
8/4/2009, 02:22 PM
think stoops will still be at OU?

stoopified
8/4/2009, 03:11 PM
Of all the service academies, West Point is the purdiest. This will be a must-attend road game.Idunno Colorado Springs is awful purty.

stoopified
8/4/2009, 03:57 PM
Une other thing occurred to me,why home and home?Should have been a two for one deal,Army is North Texas State level football.I say this with all due respect to the institution BUT Army football sucks.

OUMonster
8/4/2009, 04:20 PM
When was the last time OU played a game anywhere near the Northeast? 1994 at Syracuse?

sooner59
8/5/2009, 03:11 AM

If he isn't, will he be charged with draft-dodging or something. This sounds like something he needs to look into. Stoops to battle Army sounds like a good headline.

DMAFB_Sooner08
8/5/2009, 03:39 AM
West Point is truly a beautiful place and when I told my wife that it was just about 65 miles north of New York City she said' "we have to go." He** it's 11years from now by then she'll probably forget.

Yeah hopefully they dont move it to that damned yankee stadium, it would be sweet to watch OUr team play in west pont!

sendbaht
8/5/2009, 05:17 AM
Wow this is great news. I should be able to afford it too. My SS kicks in 2018 which I will use for OU tickets and OU travel trips.

gaylordfan1
8/5/2009, 09:27 AM

Hmmmm.... Prob not. Bradford will be coaching by then! Ha Ha. I cant wait to watch this game on top of my bed pan in a nursing home.

picasso
8/5/2009, 09:42 AM
Of all the service academies, West Point is the purdiest. This will be a must-attend road game.

ditto that.

Although Annapolis is saweet.

Sooner04
8/5/2009, 09:52 AM
The Air Force Academy is still the coolest road game I've attended. That was a wonderul weekend. It's a shame the whole world changed just a few days later.

I hope they keep this game at West Point. That would be spectacular.

I wouldn't mind scheduling home and homes with all the service academies every five-ten years.

Sooner24
8/5/2009, 09:59 AM
The Air Force Academy is still the coolest road game I almost didn't attended. That was a wonderul weekend. It's a shame the whole world changed just a few days later.

I hope they keep this game at West Point. That would be spectacular.

I wouldn't mind scheduling home and homes with all the service academies every five-ten years.

I fixed it for you. ;)

Until the Washington game AF was #1. Just the trip to the stadium and back gives the UW game a slight edge.

I too hope they keep the game at West Point or there is really no need to schedule this series IMO.

C&CDean
8/5/2009, 10:03 AM
Idunno Colorado Springs is awful purty.

I was born in Colorado Springs. I was at the game in 01 when we played up there. I've been to Annapolis many times - as recently as 2 months ago.

Trust me, West Point is the most scenic and tradition-steeped of all the academies. It reeks of military history/tradition/lore. Besides, everybody knows that the Army keeps rolling along...

jaux
8/5/2009, 10:15 AM
When you see the cadets march into Michie then break formation for the stands your heart will soar. You'll get major goose bumps if they score and begin singing "On Brave Old Army Team".

Sooner24
8/5/2009, 10:25 AM
I was born in Colorado Springs. I was at the game in 01 when we played up there. I've been to Annapolis many times - as recently as 2 months ago.

Trust me, West Point is the most scenic and tradition-steeped of all the academies. It reeks of military history/tradition/lore. Besides, everybody knows that the Army keeps rolling along...

Yep, that was the very first Soonerfans.com away game tailgate . Good times. :D

C&CDean
8/5/2009, 10:47 AM
Yep, that was the very first Soonerfans.com away game tailgate . Good times. :D

If you remember, I left there to go elk hunting after the game. We were way up in the mountains - no phones/tv/radio or anything. I didn't even find out about 9/11 until 9/15 when we went to town with a bull elk I killed. When I look at the mount on the wall and see the little plaque that says "9-15-2001" I always think about laying up in a meadow looking at the sky after lunch and my brother saying "hmmm, I wonder why there's no contrails in the sky." We didn't know planes weren't flying, and that the whole world was changed.

C&CDean
8/5/2009, 10:48 AM
When you see the cadets march into Michie then break formation for the stands your heart will soar. You'll get major goose bumps if they score and begin singing "On Brave Old Army Team".

I just hope it's kinda misty and dark for the game. It adds even more character to that place.

sooneron
8/5/2009, 11:00 AM
Nice golf course there, too.

Sooner FLiP
8/5/2009, 11:29 AM
i would have to say AFA is the prettiest. however West Point has the best history. no other school has anything that comes close to 'The Long Gray Line'.

interesting thing. one of the Captains I work with played for AF in the 2001 game. he played DE and said he couldnt believe the size of the OU D-Line and O-Line when they walked on to the field. he said that although there is a weight restriction for the cadets, they are allowed to get 'big' via a waiver. the reason why none of them do it though is b/c they have to lose it all and get into regulation weight before commissioning in the spring... especially the pilots.

silverwheels
8/5/2009, 11:42 AM
The view at Michie Stadium is supposed to be the best or at least near the top. Would love to go.

oudivesherpa
8/5/2009, 07:24 PM
Michie Stadium holds 40,000, Army's average attendance is 27,000 and they would sell at least another 5,000 for OU. How many tickets do you think OU fans would buy to this road game. I'm guessing 20,000. With that high of demand they may have to move the game. I'm guessing if they moved the game to Yankee Stadium they could sell 65,000 tickets.

That said, I hope they keep the game at Michie Stadium.

Sooner24
8/5/2009, 09:14 PM
Michie Stadium holds 40,000, Army's average attendance is 27,000 and they would sell at least another 5,000 for OU. How many tickets do you think OU fans would buy to this road game. I'm guessing 20,000. With that high of demand they may have to move the game. I'm guessing if they moved the game to Yankee Stadium they could sell 65,000 tickets.

That said, I hope they keep the game at Michie Stadium.

If it's not at Michie Stadium I won't be going.

Sooner04
8/5/2009, 10:01 PM
As bad as I want this game to be at Michie Stadium, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't end up at Yankee Stadium.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/5/2009, 10:52 PM
maybe we can loan them our 3rd team to make it a bit more competitive.

virginiasooner
8/6/2009, 12:28 PM
Yankee Stadium would be WAY COOL!!!! Think of all the fun we'll have roaming New York City! I'll be buying my Amtrak tickets later this week. Hope the ******* hotel on West ******** will have a room for less than $250 a night. (That's right Sooner Fans -- you want a halfway decent hotel in the Big Apple, be prepared to shell out at least $1,000 for a 3-4 night stay. Of course, the price will probably go up in eleven years.)

Sooner24
8/6/2009, 05:40 PM
Yankee Stadium would be WAY COOL!!!! Think of all the fun we'll have roaming New York City! I'll be buying my Amtrak tickets later this week. Hope the ******* hotel on West ******** will have a room for less than $250 a night. (That's right Sooner Fans -- you want a halfway decent hotel in the Big Apple, be prepared to shell out at least $1,000 for a 3-4 night stay. Of course, the price will probably go up in eleven years.)

If it's not at Michie Stadium it's not worth going.

Sooner98
8/6/2009, 06:00 PM
Michie Stadium + late September when leaves are changing = epic win.

Sabanball
8/6/2009, 06:44 PM
2018 in Norman, 2020 @ West Point:

http://soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080409aaa.html

I don't think the series with LSU has been finalized yet.

Sooner24
8/6/2009, 07:27 PM
I don't think the series with LSU has been finalized yet.

Marquee names continue to dot upcoming Oklahoma schedules. These games are already on future slates: at Miami (2009), Florida State (2010), at Florida State (2011), Notre Dame (2012), at Notre Dame (2013), Tennessee (2014), at Tennessee (2015), Ohio State (2016), at Ohio State (2017) and LSU in 2018 and 2019.

Maybe not but they are listing it as such.