PDA

View Full Version : Jarrett Lake ineligible at Jenks

tulsaoilerfan
8/3/2009, 10:35 PM
Per the Tulsa World online; Lake wasn't officially mentioned by the OSSAA, but the story says it's him and it's regarding his residency in the Jenks school district; sorry to hear that about a Sooner recruit

SoonerInFortSmith
8/3/2009, 10:44 PM
If he doesn't get to play this year do ya think it will affect our offer to him?

CK Sooner
8/3/2009, 10:59 PM
He is transferring to a better academic school. He will have no trouble enrolling at OU.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/3/2009, 11:06 PM
I meant just from a pure football standpoint. What if he doesn't play football at all this season? If he is ineligible because of residency questions then there must be a chance that whatever school he transfers to won't play him for fear of forfeits, etc at least until the whole thing is sorted out, which could be well into or after football season.

ouwasp
8/3/2009, 11:48 PM
The story on kotv (channel 6 tulsa) said Lake was considering attending Holland Hall, a private school which is NOT a member of the OSSAA...

badger
8/4/2009, 07:18 AM
I think he just raised an eyebrow or two ending up in Jenks. High schools aren't supposed to recruit, after all. I don't think he's ineligible because he hired an agent, took money from runners/shoe companies, was taking steroids, etc.

SoonersEnFuego
8/4/2009, 08:02 AM
This will affect him coming to OU in no way.

picasso
8/4/2009, 08:23 AM
I think he just raised an eyebrow or two ending up in Jenks. High schools aren't supposed to recruit, after all. I don't think he's ineligible because he hired an agent, took money from runners/shoe companies, was taking steroids, etc.

Every school in Tulsa does it. And so do small schools believe it or not. The good programs get kids to move all the time.

badger
8/4/2009, 08:28 AM
Every school in Tulsa does it. And so do small schools believe it or not. The good programs get kids to move all the time.

Yeah, but they're not supposed to, so I think that is why the Oklahoma sports ***'n decided to finally put their foot down to make an example out of someone. I don't fault the kid for doing what others do and it's not really a bad infraction.

picasso
8/4/2009, 08:32 AM
Yeah, but they're not supposed to, so I think that is why the Oklahoma sports ***'n decided to finally put their foot down to make an example out of someone. I don't fault the kid for doing what others do and it's not really a bad infraction.

well all they would have had to do was make sure they followed the rules by living in the designated area. Thus he still would have been recruited to play at Jenks.

sooner518
8/4/2009, 09:21 AM
i remmeber when i was in high school and we played against Kejuan Jones in basketball when he was a freshman at Hale. I always thought it was fishy that he ended up going to Jenks the next year

Eielson
8/4/2009, 12:22 PM

I'm not going to say it doesn't happen, because it definately does, but I don't think it is as big of a problem as most people make it out to be. I would say that most recruiting is more of a "hey, we want you to play on our team." I think the money bribes are rare. Jenks doesn't need to pay to get guys to go there. Almost anybody that is talented enough to play for Jenks, and is on a bad team will want to move to somewhere that is more successful.

CobraKai
8/4/2009, 12:56 PM
His legal guardian (aunt) lives in North Carolina. He lives with Gabe Lynn's family in Jenks. Apparently this has nothing to do with Jenks per se...he is not eligible to play at any OSSSA school. That is why he is looking at Holland Hall.

tscboys
8/4/2009, 02:27 PM
I'm a Holland Hall graduate of '09. It looks like he is going there, his facebook has a bunch of new friends from Holland Hall. He will be well-coached there, and the strength and conditioning coach is very good, our class had 85 students in it, and 5 of us accepted Division 1 scholarships to play sports (all guys). He will be in good hands if it is indeed true.

tscboys
8/4/2009, 02:59 PM
Just had it confirmed with a senior football player, he is going to Holland Hall and will be able to participate in athletics regardless of academics, living, anything besides injury ::knock on wood::.

SoonerDutch
8/4/2009, 04:26 PM
I'm a Holland Hall graduate of '09. It looks like he is going there, his facebook has a bunch of new friends from Holland Hall. He will be well-coached there, and the strength and conditioning coach is very good, our class had 85 students in it, and 5 of us accepted Division 1 scholarships to play sports (all guys). He will be in good hands if it is indeed true.

I can second that about the strength and conditioning program.

stoopified
8/4/2009, 04:35 PM
I recall my HS days (many moons ago) where EVERYONE (outside of Booker T. ) swore the Hornets CHEATED....I mean recruited.

ouwasp
8/4/2009, 05:15 PM
I recall my HS days (many moons ago) where EVERYONE (outside of Booker T. ) swore the Hornets CHEATED....I mean recruited.

they still do... when and if the OSSAA addresses the private school issues, they ought to include "magnet" schools like BTW as well.

But it won't happen. :mad:

badger
8/6/2009, 03:06 PM
Here is the latest. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090806_298_0_hrimgs237589)

Check out the attached documents to that article to get the real background on why he's ineligible. It's a strange, sad, weird situation all around.

soonerfan28
8/6/2009, 03:14 PM
The investigation was sparked by an anonymous e-mail sent April 10 by a person who claimed their son had been “screwed out of playing time” by Lake. The e-mail was sent from the address [email protected]. An e-mail sent to the address Thursday was returned with a message stating it was undeliverable

Stop cryin'!

Eielson
8/6/2009, 04:30 PM

I don't honestly think recruiting is all that bad. It isn't fair for kids to get overlooked because of the town they grew up in. There are plenty of people who could have been D1, but weren't because of the school they attended.

You could make the argument that it makes high school sports more even, and you would be somewhat right, but high school sports are far from even. How often are Jenks and Union not 1 and 2? You see the same teams at the top basically every year, and I'm not talking just Jenks and Union.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/6/2009, 08:06 PM
The guy in the whiney e-mail says something like "you are just lucky I was able to pay for his (the kid that got cheated out of PT by Lake) college."
What total BS. If he was good enough to get a D1 scholarship Jenks would have had him on the field somewhere. Any given year they might have 6 or 8 legit prospects and last time I counted there are 22 starting positions. This dumb a parent is just trying to abuse the system to get a few bucks. Talk about frivolous lawsuit.

soonerfan28
8/6/2009, 08:19 PM
Is it really recruiting when the kids parents are willing to move into that district so there kid has a better opportunity.

OUmillenium
8/7/2009, 12:15 AM
Jenks parents don't understand that the coaches (in all sports) play the most talented players in order to give the team the best chance to win. Sounds simple, but Jenks parents just don't get it.

Curly Bill
8/7/2009, 12:25 AM
Lots of high school parents don't get it. All they know is that Junior was a little league all-star, and now he's not getting to play, so it must be the coaches fault.

badger
8/7/2009, 08:25 AM
The whole situation is just crazy. First, the OSS... and whatever the governing people are that overlord this state's high school sports is called... gets this tip via an e-mail. To paraphrase "My son didn't play as much because of this ineligible player stealing my son's playing time and I will sue all of you if you don't take care of this before he steals my other son's playing time."

Then, OSS-and-so-on checks into where the kids 'rents own their house... it's in North Carolina and the kid lives in Jenks to take care of sick granny... hmm...

Then it's brought forth that the kid is in his fifth year of high school this year and his credits from some military academy didn't transfer over...

Then Jenks' football coach throws the kid under the bus, calling him "green" and trying to minimize the kid's contributions so that he doesn't lose any of his wins with the kid playing...

And long story short, he's ineligible for either being from North Carolina, being ineligible at his previous school, or being a fifth-year senior in high school. What a mess.

Sooner fans can take solace in the fact that none of those reasons would effect his college eligibility. In fact, if he's a fifth-year senior, he might be eligible for college now, for all we know.

soonerfan28
8/7/2009, 08:36 AM
I heard that he would be able to enroll in January.

MichiganSooner
8/7/2009, 10:06 AM
You all need to read the documents like Badger did. Especially what Jenks head coach Trimble wrote. Hilarious. Coach Trimble was trying to save some forfeits by saying bad stuff about the kid. "he is real green"; "a project"; he "did not even know the names of the positions on a football team"; he "did not know how to get into a stance"; "we put him on a special team and he did not know what to do"; "his only decent stats came against weak competion in games which were scrimmages at best".

If this is the true evaluation by the high school coach, why is he coming to play for OU?

badger
8/7/2009, 10:13 AM
If this is the true evaluation by the high school coach, why is he coming to play for OU?

I thought the same thing - what if this Jenks coach is not trying to preserve victories, but is being honest in his assessment?

But hey, there's 85 scholarship players on OU's football team at any given time and Lord knows we only see half of them on Saturday play a significant number of snaps. If football doesn't work out, hey, at least we provided the kid with a chance to educate himself and hopefully contribute to society in other ways via his education.

MichiganSooner
8/7/2009, 11:02 AM
If he was playing at Jenks this year, I'd be able to give my own evaluation after they "scrimmage" Bartlesville, in our District game with the Trojans. But we don't play Holland Hall.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/7/2009, 01:51 PM
He will probably play both ways at HH and totally light up the competition.

Eielson
8/7/2009, 03:32 PM

Because athletic ability has always trumped high school production. You'll see guys who only had 300 yards receiving for an entire season, but yet every team in the area ends up offering the guy. Learning how to play football is a lot quicker process than becoming athletic.

I watched a Jenks game last year, and yes, the evaluation is probably true. I left the game not even knowing who this guy was. From the looks of it, this was the norm (with the Sapulpa game being the exception).

Also, he was saying he had to teach Lake this stuff. Which would mean he had taught him this stuff before spring practice/summer camps. I don't know when we offered him, but he didn't commit until after these camps would have been over.

ouwasp
8/8/2009, 03:15 AM
The whiny email dad ought to transfer his boy to Union...naw, prolly couldn't cut it there... maybe BA...or Bixby... hmm... all those
south Tulsa schools seemed pretty stacked.

T Webster. I bet they can find a spot for the deprived young man. Don't have to worry about parking either.

Eielson
8/8/2009, 11:12 AM
He best get out of Jenks. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out who this is, and I doubt any of the Jenks people are too thrilled about a 3-11 season.

badger
8/11/2009, 12:24 PM
The likely Epilogue: Jenks lost its appeal. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/highschool/article.aspx?subjectid=227&articleid=20090811_227_0_OKLAHO794638)

adoniijahsooner
8/11/2009, 12:27 PM
hope the kid ends up in a good situation.

OUmillenium
8/12/2009, 10:52 AM
Once again, Lake will be at Holland Hall, then at OU. He will be in a good position. Not sure what kind of position Jenks will be in, though.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/12/2009, 04:43 PM
Jenks associate superintendent Stacey Butterfield said Lake had withdrawn from the school system, but Tyrone Lynn, the father of former Trojan player Gabe Lynn, said Lake will attend Jenks High School this year and will not play football. Lake currently lives with the Lynn family.

From the "Jenks lost its appeal" article. Anybody know anything about this?

badger
8/12/2009, 04:53 PM
From the "Jenks lost its appeal" article. Anybody know anything about this?

The student did an interview with Channel 6, where he said he will continue practicing with the team and attend classes at Jenks, but obviously will not play in games with the team, since he's ineligible.

Jenks will have to give up their runner-up trophy... for a school that's won the championship trophy 9 of the last 12 years, it may not be much of a loss.

Eielson
8/12/2009, 08:22 PM
Jenks will have to give up their runner-up trophy... for a school that's won the championship trophy 9 of the last 12 years, it may not be much of a loss.

Having to list that they went 3-11, and what it does to Trimble's record at Jenks, are both really frustrating for a program like Jenks.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/12/2009, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure it's safe for him to practice with them. Some of the players might not be too happy about the whole situation. They might turn him into a tackling dummy.

OU-HSV
8/12/2009, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure it's safe for him to practice with them. Some of the players might not be too happy about the whole situation. They might turn him into a tackling dummy.

That's what my thoughts were...I'm thinking those other players may not be too happy about this.

Curly Bill
8/13/2009, 01:18 AM
Why would Jenks, or anyone else, allow a player to practice with them that's not going to be able to play? Sounds like a waste of practice time to me.

Eielson
8/13/2009, 06:06 PM
Why would Jenks, or anyone else, allow a player to practice with them that's not going to be able to play? Sounds like a waste of practice time to me.

1) This guy is going to be representing them at a D1 program. The best one. Even at Jenks, that is a big deal. They will still want to put him in the best position to succeed.

2) Even at Jenks, I'd imagine that there is never enough competition from scout team. Coaches will take all the talent they can get in drills and Team O/D.

Curly Bill
8/13/2009, 06:10 PM
If I'm OU and he doesn't play this year I rescind my offer -- it's not like he's one of our higher rated recruits to begin with. I'd rather offer someone that plays his senior year and continues to prove and improve himself.

I'll be sure and tell Bob that when he calls for his weekly dose of advice. :P

...and I still don't know that I believe he'll be allowed to practice at Jenks if he can't play. Isn't that just what he said? Kids have been known to make crap up.

Eielson
8/13/2009, 08:00 PM
...and I still don't know that I believe he'll be allowed to practice at Jenks if he can't play. Isn't that just what he said? Kids have been known to make crap up.

I think Gabe Lynn's parents said he would. I think somebody at the school said he wasn't enrolled at Jenks anymore or something like that, though. It sounded like it was a done deal he was at Holland Hall. We'll see I guess.