PDA

View Full Version : Leinart Sinking?

The Remnant
8/3/2009, 06:57 PM
Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:07 pm EDT

Leinart sinking?
By Jason Cole
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - Will Matt Leinart's(notes) freefall continue?

A year ago, the 2006 first-round pick and Heisman Trophy winner was the No. 1 quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals going into training camp before he was beaten out for the job by veteran Kurt Warner(notes).

With Warner fresh off having led the Cardinals to their first Super Bowl, Leinart (at right) is not even competing for the No. 1 job anymore. But he is still competing. Arizona brought back veteran backup Brian St. Pierre(notes) and promised him a chance to compete with Leinart for the No. 2 job.

That's stunning considering that the 29-year-old St. Pierre has thrown all of one pass in six years. St. Pierre was a fifth-round draft pick by Pittsburgh in 2003. While some people believe the promise to St. Pierre by coach Ken Whisenhunt was an empty ploy, two sources indicated that the threat is very real for Leinart and that he needs to improve his game and show better mental toughness.

Both sources also rolled their eyes when asked about Leinart's offseason MMA training, which was advertised as a way to improve Leinart's toughness.

As for Leinart, he took the news in stride.

"Everybody has to compete for a job out there," Leinart said. "I'm not worried about it. I'm going to keep doing my thing."

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/3/2009, 07:13 PM
Both sources also rolled their crosseyes when asked about Leinart's offseason MMA training, which was advertised as a way to improve Leinart's toughness.

Fixed.

MR2-Sooner86
8/3/2009, 07:29 PM
Darn, what a shame.

GottaHavePride
8/3/2009, 07:33 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer doosh.

soonersam
8/3/2009, 08:05 PM
Who's this Matt Leinart guy??

OUAlumni1990
8/3/2009, 09:21 PM
Boy that didn't take long, 2 of what alot of people considered the 2 best college qb's of 2005 now fighting to keep their backup status! LOL. Vince Young=Matt Leinart=BUST!

What's that sound? Is that the sound of someone's 15 minutes of fame ending???

Boomer Mooner
8/3/2009, 09:28 PM
Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:07 pm EDT
"Everybody has to compete for a job out there," Leinart said. "I'm not worried about it. I'm going to keep getting stoned."

:rolleyes:

Since71ASooner4Life
8/3/2009, 10:21 PM
Not to sound like sour grapes, but the game against us was a perfect example of how a this guy came away with great stats only becuase his receivers caught everything that was throw their direction. It's easy to look good when you are surrounded by NFL talent - just ask Joey Harrington

swardboy
8/3/2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the story....I was just wondering today how Leinfart felt playing second fiddle to an old, old QB. Not a knock on Warner whom I admire greatly....now I know how old Matt's hangin' in there.

rainiersooner
8/4/2009, 12:00 AM
Not to sound like sour grapes, but the game against us was a perfect example of how a this guy came away with great stats only becuase his receivers caught everything that was throw their direction. It's easy to look good when you are surrounded by NFL talent - just ask Joey Harrington

I would think he would surrounded by NFL talent in the NFL as well. I've never had it out for this guy like a lot of others. Reggie Bush? Now, he's a real ****** imo - but I think Leinart is ok.

rainiersooner
8/4/2009, 12:01 AM
Interesting, didn't know that "******" gets the Texas treatment. Duly noted.

Curly Bill
8/4/2009, 12:18 AM
I think Leinart has always been more concerned with having a good time than he is with NFL success. Maybe that has changed and he just sucks, but I know at one time his priorities weren't solely directed at football.

Mixer!
8/4/2009, 12:39 AM

OKC-SLC
8/4/2009, 12:54 AM
I guess I agree with Rainier--I've never really had a problem with Leinart. I mean, he's probably a doosh, but I don't have confirmation.

DMAFB_Sooner08
8/4/2009, 01:31 AM
I would think he would surrounded by NFL talent in the NFL as well. I've never had it out for this guy like a lot of others. Reggie Bush? Now, he's a real ****** imo - but I think Leinart is ok.

This, Fitzgerald and Boldin are just your average WR's!

badger
8/4/2009, 07:16 AM
I remember when he was first entering the league he had a little baby mama drama (as well as photos emerge of him with a bunch of likely underage girls drinking in a hot tub) with some USC basketball player... I think he ended up paying her $15k per month... I hope she set up a trust fund.

I don't think this is what Matt had in mind when he was a Hollywood star football player (because after all, Hollywood has no pro team except SC) and sank to pick No. 10 in Arizona. I would say that he should have come out a year earlier just so he could cling to that No. 1 pick status, but what is it doing for Alex Smith right about now?

SoonerDood
8/4/2009, 08:07 AM
I remember when he was first entering the league he had a little baby mama drama (as well as photos emerge of him with a bunch of likely underage girls drinking in a hot tub) with some USC basketball player... I think he ended up paying her $15k per month... I hope she set up a trust fund.

I don't think this is what Matt had in mind when he was a Hollywood star football player (because after all, Hollywood has no pro team except SC) and sank to pick No. 10 in Arizona.

everybody (except the NCAA) knows that Leinart took a pay cut when he went to the Cardinals.

badger
8/4/2009, 08:18 AM
everybody (except the NCAA) knows that Leinart took a pay cut when he went to the Cardinals.

I don't think Leinart needed money. I think Leinart needed attention and hot chicks to cling to him, which he could get no place besides LA (because after all, the NFL is not in LA). After years of being the crosseyed fat kid that everyone would ignore and make fun of, Leinart probably needed the SC atmosphere more than the NFL one.

Now that Leinart has had his fill of attention and freeloading chicks, I wonder if he will need money after all?

Jack T.
8/4/2009, 08:22 AM
http://www.wordforge.net/images/smilies/CurlyBill.jpg

Shockwave
8/4/2009, 09:20 AM

HAHAHAHHAHA.......that's good stuff!!!!

BoulderSooner79
8/4/2009, 12:13 PM
I don't think Leinart needed money. I think Leinart needed attention and hot chicks to cling to him...

Wow! that means I could have been a starting QB at 'SC !

badger
8/4/2009, 12:18 PM
Wow! that means I could have been a starting QB at 'SC !

This year I'm sure you could have... especially with competition like Mitch Mustain :P

However, Pete the Cheat seems to enjoy starting players that have a few years of sitting out and being practice dummies so that he can hold their NFL potential over their heads a bit longer.

Thus, regardless of your chick magnet and attention surplus status, you wouldn't have started for at least two years :D

cheezyq
8/4/2009, 02:43 PM

Here's the confusion. He doesn't get the doosh label by being Matt Leinart. He inherits it from being a football player at USC. Just clarifying.

;)

badger
8/4/2009, 02:50 PM
Whether Matt Lionfart is a dbag or not, Kurt Warner definitely is not and I'm sure that if Matt needs a shoulder to cry on when he's listed as third string, Kurt will be the first there to console him, because Kurt's been there.

How do you go from being the Super Bowl MVP to losing your starting job to some n00b? The same way you can go from being a Heisman, championship winning quarterback in college to seeing your draft stock tumble and getting relegated to holding a clipboard on the sidelines while your team's off playing in the Super Bowl.