PDA

View Full Version : Great article about why our boys came back to school

Collier11
8/3/2009, 01:06 PM
Sooners sticking together
Quartet delayed draft for reasons like graduation, a higher draft spot and another bid for NCAA title.

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
Published: 8/1/2009 2:25 AM
NORMAN — The majority of Oklahoma football devotees merely jumped for joy at the news Sam Bradford was returning to quarterback the 2009 season. Only one, that we know of, nearly KO'd his computer.

"I watched Sam's press conference," OU defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said, "and when he said he was coming back, I kind of kicked the computer. I kind of got happy."

There was good reason. McCoy, the Sooners' most disruptive defensive tackle since Tommie Harris, had decided two days earlier to return for a junior season. Now the Sooners had their offensive and defensive lynchpins locked back in.

But there was more.

"If Sam would have left, I probably would have left," said Jermaine Gresham at Big 12 Media Days last week. "I think if Sam would have left, there would have been a domino effect. He was the leader."

Bradford's return, then, signaled that Gresham, OU's All-American tight end, was bypassing the NFL to play his senior season. Now Bradford had a go-to receiver to help with the loss of wideouts Juaquin Iglesias and Manuel Johnson.

Also returning was Trent Williams. He, too, toyed with early NFL entry only to come back for his senior year. Now Bradford had a protective left tackle to help with the loss of the remainder of an offensive line that kept his uniform practically spotless throughout his Heisman-winning '08 season.

Here were four teammates who were Nos. 1 (Bradford), 4 (Williams), 5 (Gresham) and 7 (McCoy) overall in the 2010 mock draft posted by ESPN analyst Todd McShay right after the '09 draft. That all of them were willing to put off the pros? A reporter at media days used the word "unprecedented" to describe that decision.

McCoy's words for it: "extremely surprised."

The All-American defensive tackle was the first to make up his mind.

"I was real close to coming out, but I want to graduate. That altered my whole decision, me graduating," McCoy said. "I will graduate in May. Wherever I decide to train at (for the 2010 draft next spring), I'll have three hours left and I'll take my capstone online and I'll be done."

So now it was up to the trio on other side of the ball. Gresham's initial inkling after OU's national championship loss to Florida was to return.

"Everything felt incomplete," he said. "The reason why you play at this level is to win the national championship."

In the days after that game, however, the underclassmen considered some of the other issues at play. Money and family situations. Class considerations.

And the reactions of pro personnel to either evaluation tapes OU's underclassmen had submitted, or game film from the Sooners' 2008 season.

Bob Stoops did his annual due diligence with NFL contacts to advise the underclassmen. To his knowledge, as he said at media days last week, Bradford and Gresham were the only safe-bet first-round picks. And there was a big difference between first- and second-round contracts.

"Worlds of difference," Stoops reiterated last week. "If the first round is there you have the opportunity to make a lot more money. First-round guys will be able to share some of that money with family. Second-round guys are going to do all they can to keep what they've got and take care of themselves if they don't have a degree."

The four players didn't just keep in touch with their head coach.

"Everyone knew where everyone was at," Gresham said. "No one was out of the loop."

"Nobody said, 'If you do it, I'm going to do it,' " McCoy said. "We spoke about how we felt about (the process), and we took it all in and just made the decisions we made."

McCoy came close to turning pro. Did Bradford?

"To be honest, no," he said last week. "It took a while. I went in with an open mind, and it really started out 50-50 whether I was going to come back or go. After I gathered some information, that's when I really looked at it and made my decision."

Bradford's decision set up Gresham's.

"I didn't want to go through the whole experience of everything without Sam," the tight end said last week. "I felt being with him and going through another year under coach (Kevin) Wilson and becoming a better player would be better for me and my family. It was the right decision to stay."

Williams followed suit, and suddenly "unprecedented" didn't seem like such a stretch.

"There's value that they see in graduating and/or if you're not graduating, you're within a class or two so it's real manageable," Stoops said of his quartet's decision. "There's value in being more prepared for (the NFL) when it comes, to being a year stronger, more seasoned. And value in being with their teammates another year.

"So it is pretty special."

htownsooner7
8/3/2009, 01:55 PM
Excellent article.

piusbovis
8/3/2009, 08:34 PM
I don't think it can be overstated how big it was that Sam came back. I know we all pretty much expected it anyway but that really sets a tone for the team when their leader, the probable #1 pick, passes up a huge payday to come back and play another year. Hopefully all the young talent around him can feed off that and play up to their potential.

Tailwind
8/3/2009, 09:05 PM
Amen! I'm doing a happy dance right now. :D

MojoRisen
8/3/2009, 09:13 PM
The 09-10 National Champs can be called the 100 Million Dollar Machine!

rainiersooner
8/3/2009, 11:58 PM
I know we all pretty much expected it anyway....

I was sure he was gone...to have them all back - yeah, I almost kicked my computer too!

Curly Bill
8/4/2009, 12:02 AM
I'm shocked they all came back. I liked college a lot, but I wouldn't leave millions of dollars on the table to go back.

Here's hoping these guys accomplish their goals as a team and as individuals this year, and that those millions are still there for them after the season (barring injury it still should be).

OKC-SLC
8/4/2009, 12:50 AM
One cannot underestimate how good of guys these dudes are.

Hella Sideburns
8/4/2009, 03:57 AM
I assumed Bradford would be back, thought McCoy and Williams were 50/50 and figured Gresham was gone for sure.

GKeeper316
8/4/2009, 05:10 AM
I don't think it can be overstated how big it was that Sam came back. I know we all pretty much expected it anyway but that really sets a tone for the team when their leader, the probable #1 pick, passes up a huge payday to come back and play another year. Hopefully all the young talent around him can feed off that and play up to their potential.

the great thing about sam is that he never had any intention of playing pro football. he just wanted to graduate from the university of oklahoma and go be an accountant or something.

he loves being the quarterback at OU. this was his dream, not the nfl.

Jello Biafra
8/4/2009, 09:05 AM
the great thing about sam is that he never had any intention of playing pro football. he just wanted to graduate from the university of oklahoma and go be an accountant or something.

he loves being the quarterback at OU. this was his dream, not the nfl.

This statement right here and just listening to his tones over the last 6 months or so, I have been thinking for a while now that he may not actually leave school until the end of his senior season.

I know you guys poopoo this but seriously, there are kids out there that just want to play this or that and then when they do it, they are done. all i wanted to do was play college football after i got into high school. i have heard sam say little things like you only get so many snaps in front of 85k fans at home and stuff like that.

gaylordfan1
8/4/2009, 09:18 AM
This statement right here and just listening to his tones over the last 6 months or so, I have been thinking for a while now that he may not actually leave school until the end of his senior season.

I know you guys poopoo this but seriously, there are kids out there that just want to play this or that and then when they do it, they are done. all i wanted to do was play college football after i got into high school. i have heard sam say little things like you only get so many snaps in front of 85k fans at home and stuff like that.

I agree.... Would be nice. But honestly wishful thinking.