PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops: The Sooners Own Worst Enemy?

SPuL
8/3/2009, 01:21 AM
http://ousoonernation.blogspot.com/2009/08/bob-stoops-sooners-own-worst-enemy.html

EDIT: I take all of this **** back :mad:

OUHOMER
8/3/2009, 06:23 AM
yep, i am spoiled, and I want it all, and I want it now.

SoonerBacker
8/3/2009, 07:16 AM
".... But don’t let the records fool you. Stoops’ Sooners play in the Big 12. You know, that conference that plays host to Oklahoma, Texas, and 10 other high school teams. Conference? More like a cake walk. You want tough? Just take a look at the road Carrol and his Trojans have to go through every year: Stanford, Arizona State, UCLA, Washington State, and Washington. To top it off, they don’t even have to play a conference championship game. Wow! I wouldn’t wish that sort of gauntlet onto my worst enemy!"

This comment shows what a moron this whole thing is! Anyone who believes that the freakin Pac-10 is tougher than the Big XII is not in touch with reality!

CincySooner
8/3/2009, 07:33 AM
".... But don’t let the records fool you. Stoops’ Sooners play in the Big 12. You know, that conference that plays host to Oklahoma, *Texas*, and 10 other high school teams. Conference? More like a cake walk. You want tough? Just take a look at the road Carrol and his Trojans have to go through every year: Stanford, Arizona State, UCLA, Washington State, and Washington. To top it off, they don’t even have to play a conference championship game. Wow! I wouldn’t wish that sort of gauntlet onto my worst enemy!"

This comment shows what a moron this whole thing is! Anyone who believes that the freakin Pac-10 is tougher than the Big XII is not in touch with reality!

Time to take your sarcasm-o-meter in for service.

OUHOMER
8/3/2009, 07:38 AM

I would say it needs replacing.;)

badger
8/3/2009, 07:44 AM
I am not spoiled... I am just happy with a team that looks like it can win games... something I did not get to enjoy back in high school.

The one moment that we accidentally ran the opening kickoff back for a touchdown to actually be ahead for one shining moment? highlight of the high school football watching career. I think I've seen OU do that a million times. :D

SoonerBacker
8/3/2009, 07:54 AM
I would say it needs replacing.;)

That's what I get for reading this before I've had any coffee. I'll get that meter replaced ASAP! ;)

OUAlumni1990
8/3/2009, 08:09 AM
I grew up in the Barry Switzer era. Extremely spoiled Sooner fan here.

Lott's Bandana
8/3/2009, 08:40 AM

This.

SPuL
8/3/2009, 10:03 AM
Yeah, a lot of you guys here seem to get it. But I think I saw one guy make a thread saying Bob Stoops should get fired here. Obviously he was bashed. Then there are plenty of those idiots lurking on ESPN. Then also I'm just basically addressing all the heat personally I've taken from friends who keep telling me Oklahoma keeps taking an UNDESERVING national championship spot every year. Gets annoying lol

badger
8/3/2009, 10:06 AM
I am among those that giggle when Ohio State takes a championship spot just by not playing for a few weeks while other teams lose... but hey, who really deserves the championship spot - the team that wins and who else?

If the team that won actually lost, would that make them less deserving of the championship game?

If Florida State beat OU in 2000, would that have suddenly deserved that championship invite more than Miami or Washington?

Does every team that wins their BCS game that isn't in the championship suddenly have a reason to think they deserve to be in the championship, by virtue of the fact that they won their last game and it was nationally televised and in a historic bowl game?

SPuL
8/3/2009, 10:10 AM
Exactly man. That's the thing with the BCS. These discussions will ALWAYS be there. UNLESS we witness a game like USC-Texas.

But that's what boggles me. We were with Florida ALL GAME. If I remember correctly we were tied 14-14, and weren't out of the game until Tebows jump pass TD with 3 mins left. So if we're so undeserving what does that say about Florida if it needed 57 minutes to beat us?

Lott's Bandana
8/3/2009, 11:05 AM
Tied at 14 with 11:00 left.

14-17 but us driving with 5:00 left.

Freak interception because of admittedly a GREAT play.

Yeah, regardless of what the world would have the world believe, we were in it.

SPuL
8/3/2009, 11:39 AM
Yea, and not to mention those two goal line possesions we had in first half and got 0 points. At half time I was so pissed because I knew we had chance to put Florida down, but instead we were just tied.

The first one, 4th and goal on one. I agree we should have gone for it. But the second one, back of the endzone should have been the pass. Nothing was open. Oh well, I was proud of our efforts.

But as for the article, what'd you guys think?

any suggestions for future articles? I want to do one on Reynolds, but information on him is so rare. lol

soonermix
8/3/2009, 12:50 PM
i think if you are ranked nationally in the top 5 going in to the season as we are this year and have been several times since stoops started, expecting anything less than a national championship is just settling for mediocrity (i know i can't spell)

JLEW1818
8/3/2009, 12:53 PM
that's what great about being a Sooner, you know pretty much everyone season, you got a decent shot at the title game

SPuL
8/3/2009, 01:15 PM
i think if you are ranked nationally in the top 5 going in to the season as we are this year and have been several times since stoops started, expecting anything less than a national championship is just settling for mediocrity (i know i can't spell)

I don't think that's fair. I mean, I get it maybe if we ranked #1 or #2 or so on. But I mean say this year, we end up losing too Texas in a close game. Then we win all the rest of our games. We'll probably be 11-1 and headed to Fiesta Bowl. Most probable opponent would be an undefeated Boise St. And if we SLAUGHTER them and finish 12-1. I'd feel like it was a positive season.

htownsooner7
8/3/2009, 01:20 PM
Very well put.

JLEW1818
8/3/2009, 01:23 PM
I'm not doing a fiesta again, ever, unless its national title game..

SPuL
8/3/2009, 01:46 PM
I mean obviously we all want a national title. But say if you had a second best outcome of the season wouldn't it be to get revenge on Boise State and absolutely blow them out of the water in the same place they beat us?

BoulderSooner79
8/3/2009, 02:50 PM
Most folks here claim they would rather lose in the title game than win a lesser bowl game. I'll play contrarian - I'd rather see us win the lesser contest. I mean look at how you as a fan feel for the following 8 month off-season (this last one felt especially hollow to me). But fortunately, we are not allowed to peek into the future and know which game our team may win or lose, and we alway hope to get to the big dance. For me, there was only 1 of the title games for which I was hoping not to get a selection and would have preferred a more winnable match-up. (Hint: most on this board now deny it occurred).

JLEW1818
8/3/2009, 03:26 PM
runner up bowl wins mean absolutely nothing, when comparing it to a national title.

idc how i feel in the off-season sure they have been sucky lately.... i want a coach that can get us to the title game consistently like Stoops.... if we are picked to play USC in the National Title game in their backyard (actually ucla), bring it

Partial Qualifier
8/3/2009, 04:10 PM
Very well done, SPuL.

jumperstop
8/3/2009, 04:46 PM
I'm not doing a fiesta again, ever, unless its national title game..

I've always said that, but if it is in some way possible there is no game i'm passing up, even the Fiesta Bowl. Now if it happens a couple more times maybe I would consider giving up on that bowl game.

JLEW1818
8/3/2009, 04:49 PM
I'd rather just go to Cotton

if your not in the championship game, your not in it.

but bcs wins do help arguments

SPuL
8/3/2009, 05:12 PM
Very well done, SPuL.

Thanks man!

I'd rather just go to Cotton

if your not in the championship game, your not in it.

but bcs wins do help arguments

Yea, that's true. I mean, it'd at least be nice (IF WE DON'T GET INTO BCS TITLE GAME) to at least win a big BCS game. Get those people to stfu about Stoops and Sooners in the big games for a bit. But of course, championship is always first priority

JLEW1818
8/3/2009, 05:32 PM
yup, national title will shut em up for sure!

SPuL
8/3/2009, 05:40 PM
I don't know about y'all, but I'd LOVE to see the Gators again in the title match

oudivesherpa
8/3/2009, 07:44 PM
I am not spoiled... I am just happy with a team that looks like it can win games... something I did not get to enjoy back in high school.

The one moment that we accidentally ran the opening kickoff back for a touchdown to actually be ahead for one shining moment? highlight of the high school football watching career. I think I've seen OU do that a million times. :D

Badger, that's one reason I enjoy OU football. I was the star of my HS team and we had a perfect record--NO WINS. I guess if I really wanted to fit in at in college I could have gone to Baylor, or the current edition of Texas A&M.:rolleyes:

Jacie
8/3/2009, 08:13 PM
I mean obviously we all want a national title. But say if you had a second best outcome of the season wouldn't it be to get revenge on Boise State and absolutely blow them out of the water in the same place they beat us?

I'd rather revenge on SC first . . .

SPuL
8/3/2009, 08:25 PM
^yea, truth haha. But only possible way USC-OU would play is from a national championship I think, right? Because doesn't Fiesta bowl get Big 12?

Tailwind
8/3/2009, 09:19 PM
Nice job SPul!

SPuL
8/3/2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks man! I got 3 followers. Woohoo! I'm pumped! :D

Seriously though, you guys need to throw me more possible topics for upcoming posts. I don't want to do any season predictions YET.

All I got is a Ryan Reynolds post. But hardly any material out there for that

Oh and feel free to comment on the blog itsself. You don't need an account to comment! :D

SicEmBaylor
8/4/2009, 02:31 AM
Badger, that's one reason I enjoy OU football. I was the star of my HS team and we had a perfect record--NO WINS. I guess if I really wanted to fit in at in college I could have gone to Baylor, or the current edition of *Texas* A&M.:rolleyes:

If you fit in at Baylor there's virtually no possibility you'd also fit in at Aggie and vice-versa.

It's kind of a yin/yang thing.

AlbqSooner
8/4/2009, 06:20 AM
You keep yer hands off my yin yang!!

soonerloyal
8/4/2009, 08:40 AM
That's what I get for reading this before I've had any coffee. I'll get that meter replaced ASAP! ;)

Here, borrow mine.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/sarcasm_detector.jpg

Don't worry about it. Lord knows all of us have missed something like that at one time or another. LOL

boomermagic
8/4/2009, 10:36 AM

I did as well and I understand...

SPuL
8/4/2009, 06:28 PM
^makes sense

soonerfan28
8/4/2009, 07:42 PM
Is this even a real question? My teenage years were during the Gibbs/Smellaburger/Blake era so no he's not our worst enemy.

SPuL
8/4/2009, 07:58 PM
^to you, I refer you to this post earlier in the thread:

lol the majority of people got it. But it's sad how still people think I was being serious. I got 2 comments on there who the sarcasm went over their head.

I mean I thought the whole USC having to play a tough schedule including Wahsington, Washington St., etc would give it a way. Or even the ending. Oh well.. the majority got it. That's all that matters!

soonerfan28
8/4/2009, 08:51 PM
Can I plead drunk.:D

SPuL
8/4/2009, 09:23 PM
hahah you are excused, kind sir

Octavian
8/4/2009, 09:57 PM
Stoops isn't our worst enemy -- WE are. Then again, we're also the driving force behind all the success.

115 other fanbases would crawl through miles of shredded glass to have Bob Stoops. We're disappointed because not all the trophies are shiny enough.

WE are the Monster.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

SPuL
8/4/2009, 10:30 PM
^isn't that kinda what I said? =/

stoopified
8/5/2009, 08:33 AM
I mean obviously we all want a national title. But say if you had a second best outcome of the season wouldn't it be to get revenge on Boise State and absolutely blow them out of the water in the same place they beat us?YES

SPuL
8/5/2009, 12:31 PM
well USC would be best really lol 64-19 or something like that :D

SPuL
8/8/2009, 12:26 AM
"You know who I'd trade Bob Stoops for? Somebody who wins **** occasionally. Somebody who actually feels bad when he lets down AN ENTIRE STATE. I want a guy who's going to lose sleep, get some gray hairs, and actually WORRY about his ****. Somebody who doesn't make lame-*** excuses after getting beaten on a national stage AGAIN. Your argument that we should be happy with what we have is bull****. That's called complacency. Complacency is the enemy of greatness. This team/program could have been the best there ever was. Now we're "Chokelahoma" Thanks a lot, Big Game Bob. I'm SO happy you're still cashing those giant checks I help write."

^latest comment. he should be revoked of his Oklahoma fanship pshh

Curly Bill
8/8/2009, 12:29 AM
Why should he be revoked of his fanship? He's pissed off and has somewhat of a right to be. His views are pretty extreme, I don't particularly share them, but because someone doesn't feel the same way the rest of us feel doesn't in anyway mean we should "revoke" their fanship.

SPuL
8/8/2009, 12:38 AM
somewhat of a right to be? According to many "Team of the decade analyses", if Bob Stoops and the Sooners win the title this year they will be, no questions asked, the team of the decade. So where is this "right to be" talk from?

Bob Stoops helped Oklahoma regain the status it had before the 90's rolled around. He helped Oklahoma contend for the title year in and year out.

I'm sorry, his recent string of BCS bowl losses STILL doesn't make it "right" to call Bob Stoops a joke or say that he should be replaced.

He already got us one title. How many teams this decade can say they won a title? 7 out of 119. So if he can't accept being in that 5.8%, then to me, he isn't a true fan. Look at the big picture.

Curly Bill
8/8/2009, 12:39 AM
I love those peeps that think they somehow have the right to define what fandom is, and who qualifies. :rolleyes:

SPuL
8/8/2009, 12:45 AM
I love those peeps that think they somehow have the right to define what fandom is, and who qualifies. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I love those "peeps" who think people aren't allowed to have their own OPINIONS. :rolleyes:

You know what an opinion is right? Because if need be, I can define that too, and what qualifies as one. ;)

soonermagic14
8/8/2009, 12:46 AM
It sux being labeled Chokelahoma and the Buffalo Bills of college football (esp living in texas surrounded by ugly burnt orange) We still have alot of great recruits headed OUr way who still believe in him. The USC game when everybody quit, Boise St, and West VA games were like getting kicked in the balls- seems that coaching had a lot to do with those games (even the Gator game...if we have better offensive playcalling on the goal line and score things would have gone OUr way. This next January if we lose then what?.....

Curly Bill
8/8/2009, 12:46 AM
As long as you're aware of your qualifications to be rendering opinions on who's a fan and who's not.

Curly Bill
8/8/2009, 12:48 AM
It sux being labeled Chokelahoma and the Buffalo Bills of college football (esp living in texas surrounded by ugly burnt orange) We still have alot of great recruits headed OUr way who still believe in him. The USC game when everybody quit, Boise St, and West VA games were like getting kicked in the balls- seems that coaching had a lot to do with those games (even the Gator game...if we have better offensive playcalling on the goal line and score things would have gone OUr way. This next January if we lose then what?.....

Are you questioning...

...that's it! You are not a true fan! :P

SPuL
8/8/2009, 12:51 AM
As long as you're aware of your qualifications to be rendering opinions on who's a fan and who's not.

Oh boy. Go get 'em, Billy!

Curly Bill
8/8/2009, 12:53 AM
Oh boy. Go get 'em, Billy!

Go get what?

I point out your qualifications for determining who's a fan and who's not might be in question, and this is your response? Really?

SPuL
8/8/2009, 12:54 AM

Then you put it in the past and keep going. Like Bob Stoops said on first take, he doesn't like to let one season's outcome go on into the next season. It's a new season, new team.

Like I mentioned, Tom Osborne went through 7 bowl game losses in a row. 3 with national title implications. (Stoops has 5 in a row, 3 title games now)

What if Nebraska quit on him then? What if they kicked him to the curb? They would have missed out on the next 4 years where Osborne only lost 2 games and won 3 national titles for the huskers.

Just put it in the past, and keep going, man. There's worse things in life that can happen then losing consecutive bowl games.

SPuL
8/8/2009, 12:55 AM
Go get what?

I point out your qualifications for determining who's a fan and who's not might be in question, and this is your response? Really?

Yes.

SPuL
8/8/2009, 12:57 AM
Are you questioning...

...that's it! You are not a true fan! :P

Mock me to your heart contents. It won't get you anywhere. I believe you ride or die with your team. They have people paid and qualified who know what's best for the team. You as a fan should be behind your school or team no matter what. Through the hardships and the successes. I mean, sure if we were having 3-8, 6-6 seasons, I'd see his point. But we kinda have the most wins this decade, and 6 Big 12 championships. I don't see anything to complain about.

SPuL
8/8/2009, 12:58 AM
Oh, and as a reply to your 2093290209230932903209 neg reps you gave me for disagreeing with your opinion in this thread, I say this:

Grow up. :)

soonermagic14
8/8/2009, 01:02 AM
I've been questioning our defensive coaching for a while....Stoops has been very patient with Venables. Hey I'll take the 6 big 12 titles in December but that defense was no where to be found vs USC, Boise St, West Va come January. You always have to be questioning and hold people accountable....dont get complacent.

Curly Bill
8/8/2009, 01:03 AM
I'm not complaining too much myself. I've just never thought myself to be in a position to where I could determine who's qualified to be a fan and who's not. Like I said: that guys views are pretty extreme, I do not share them, and if one wants to point out that they disagree with them that is perfectly legit.

When we get to a point where we think we can determine whether someone else is, or is not, a fan I think we've bit off more than we are qualified for. Fans are different, and ultimately this guy may be a poor one -- I just don't know that any of us here are qualified to pull his fan card or not.

SPuL
8/8/2009, 01:05 AM
I've been questioning our defensive coaching for a while....Stoops has been very patient with Venables. Hey I'll take the 6 big 12 titles in December but that defense was no where to be found vs USC, Boise St, West Va come January. You always have to be questioning and hold people accountable....dont get complacent.

True, I can agree with that. I'm sure Stoops will address that especially with the beating big 12 defenses got in the media after last year.

SPuL
8/8/2009, 01:06 AM
I'm not complaining too much myself. I've just never thought myself to be in a position to where I could determine who's qualified to be a fan and who's not. Like I said: that guys views are pretty extreme, I do not share them, and if one wants to point out that they disagree with them that is perfectly legit.

When we get to a point where we think we can determine whether someone else is, or is not, a fan I think we've bit off more than we are qualified for. Fans are different, and ultimately this guy may be a poor one -- I just don't know that any of us here are qualified to pull his fan card or not.
I just don't see why you had to make a big deal over that one sentence. That's all.

There is no such thing as a "fan card", and obviously what I meant from what I said was stating that he was a poor fan. Or like I said, wasn't a true fan. Same thing. Maybe it was a poor choice of words, but I thought I got what I was saying across.

SPuL
8/8/2009, 01:09 AM
oh btw, neg me till I go red. It's an internet net forum. It won't kill me. In the words of the great Bob Stoops:

"If that’s the biggest burden I’ll have to bear in my life, I’ll be a pretty lucky guy.” :D

Curly Bill
8/8/2009, 01:10 AM
As long as you keep whining I will. :D

soonermagic14
8/8/2009, 01:12 AM
In the end Stoops is a great coach and I'm glad he's here. I just think he needs to hold his coaches more accountable...that's my only question with him. Like I said though, a lot of good high talent is heading our way...esp this year according to soonerscoop- so the high school kids arent turning away.

SPuL
8/8/2009, 01:15 AM
In the end Stoops is a great coach and I'm glad he's here. I just think he needs to hold his coaches more accountable...that's my only question with him. Like I said though, a lot of good high talent is heading our way...esp this year according to soonerscoop- so the high school kids arent turning away.
That is true. I don't mind that either. We'll see how this season goes. I definitely expect the defense to play with a chip on their shoulder. Some have even said they could end up being our strength this year. We shall see.

soonermagic14
8/8/2009, 01:24 AM
on the defense note, i talked to a hs coach here in texas who coached a kid who plays WR at a school in the big 12 (he told me not to tell yall who) The kid came back this summer to workout and sat down and talked to him and he said the OU corners are soft and that being physical is the scouting report they used against them last year- (in that particular game it worked) In the interview on soonersports with Jackson and Franks they seems ready to get after it....hopefully somebody will tell them they have a "soft" reputation.

But I agree, I really think the D will be dominant like in 2000-2004

SPuL
8/8/2009, 01:39 AM
on the defense note, i talked to a hs coach here in texas who coached a kid who plays WR at a school in the big 12 (he told me not to tell yall who) The kid came back this summer to workout and sat down and talked to him and he said the OU corners are soft and that being physical is the scouting report they used against them last year- (in that particular game it worked) In the interview on soonersports with Jackson and Franks they seems ready to get after it....hopefully somebody will tell them they have a "soft" reputation.

But I agree, I really think the D will be dominant like in 2000-2004

I mean just look at the national title game man. The Sooners D had to hear how soft, and weak they were for a month. How Tim Tebow would scorch them. And for the most part they played very well against a Florida Offense which was averaging over 40 ppg. They basically had Tebow's number for the first half, and then second half they started to wear down a bit.

I expect them to be even more fired up for this upcoming season. September 5th can't come soon enough! :D

SPuL
8/8/2009, 12:01 PM
"Who cares? Texas will still eat you losers alive. AGAIN"

lol was wondering when the first whorn would make an appearance

SPuL
10/4/2009, 01:52 AM
What a difference 4 weeks makes.

I'm almost completely on the other side of the fence now. blahh

MyT Oklahoma
10/4/2009, 08:40 AM

Ditto! And nothing less than our best effforts is acceptable. That obviously includes our coaches. No further comment.

sortiz1965
10/4/2009, 11:17 AM
Disturbing trend: losses against ranked teams and victories at home over lower, over-matched opponents. Sooner Nation is suddenly staring at a five or six loss season. Losing to Texas is, in my honest opinion, a foregone conclusion and the rest of the Big 12 schedule now looks daunting. I'm not sure OU can beat Kansas, Texas Tech, Nebraska (at Nebraska) or OSU. Assuming a 1-3 record against those four plus a Texas loss, a six loss season is within reach.

I don't want to be an alarmist and go off the rails here, but is it time for Stoops to take a long, hard look at his coordinators with an eye towards making some changes? Mack Brown didn't start succeeding consistently until he changed coordinators; there are numerous examples of head coaches who made changes and saw their fortunes turn for the better. I know Kevin Wilson is considered an eminent offensive mind, and he did coordinate the most prolific offense in college football history last year. And, I know that injuries this season have decimated OU, so Wilson doesn't have near the arsenal he has enjoyed in the past. So maybe Wilson ought to get a pass, although his playcalling is at times very puzzling.

But, I see a consistent pattern of Venables defenses breaking down at critical times and failing to make game time adjustments. How many times does OU's soft zone need to be burned over the middle for Venables to readjust and reasses? How many times must we see Ryan Reynolds, he of the reconstructed knees, mismatched over the middle against a speedy tight end? How many times must we see busted assignments at the most inconvenient times? Are Venables' schemes too complex for these kids to absorb? Does he need to simplify and let talent make plays? Does Stoops need to be more hands-on with the defense?

I know Stoops has won a national title, six Big 12 titles, four title game appearances, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah. But, if OU begins to consistently lose to Texas, and if OU continues to consistently lose to sturdier competition than Tulsa or Idaho State, then Stoops will eventually have to answer for this trend. With each passing year, that 2000 title looks more and more distant. The Wilkinson-Switzer monster must be fed, and he is getting hungry.

PLaw
10/4/2009, 11:42 AM

Yep, and certainly remember some unbelievable victories and unfathonable losses. Sounds just like today.

BOOMER

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 11:47 AM
Ditto! And nothing less than our best effforts is acceptable. That obviously includes our coaches. No further comment.

You mean like those 7-4 Seasons Barry had before 1985?

How quickly folks like you forget.

And I guess you'll no longer be commenting anymore? I'm all giddy with anticipation...lol