PDA

View Full Version : **My new iPhone 3G(S)...**

Lott's Bandana
8/2/2009, 07:57 PM
FTW1!!!11

SoonerStormchaser
8/2/2009, 07:59 PM
How much did that set you back?

On a related topic, as soon as I get back from this deployment, I am dumping T-mobile...and probably going to AT&T. I really do NOT want an Iphone, but want a decent phone with internet capabilities that's smaller than the size of a standard blackberry. Any recommendations?

Boomer Mooner
8/2/2009, 08:07 PM
How much did that set you back?

On a related topic, as soon as I get back from this deployment, I am dumping T-mobile...and probably going to AT&T. I really do NOT want an Iphone, but want a decent phone with internet capabilities that's smaller than the size of a standard blackberry. Any recommendations?

I'm sure you have good reasons to not want the iphone, but they really are the ****. I had a Palm Treo before this, mainly because it was one of the few offered at the time with 3g. The iphone is so much better than that phone it isn't even funny.

SoonerStormchaser
8/2/2009, 08:15 PM
I don't need a bulky *** phone when I'm in my flight suit. But I still want one with kickass internet options cause I travel a lot.

Lott's Bandana
8/2/2009, 08:25 PM
Nav,

The new iPhone is much sleeker than my first gen, the 3G makes the internet come in seemingly as fast as DSL, and when connected to Wi-Fi, it seems as fast as my iMac.

The GPS and Compass is really appealing to us navigator-types and interfaces with a great deal of the apps.

Plus, my first gen was upgraded several times and is/was no where near the phone I first purchased. I presume this will continue with the new model, eventually getting Flash capabilities.

I paid $199.00 for mine and now I have a new iPhone and a really great iPod (my first gen) for my docking stereos, driving and flying.

Side note: I just visited Taiwan where the iPhone 3G retails for $675.00 USD, but is "unlocked". However, they currently only have one carrier for that phone so it might as well be.

SoonerStormchaser
8/2/2009, 08:40 PM
GPS= me out of job.

Oh well...I use it on my jet anyways.

So did the new one cost you $199?

soonerboomer93
8/2/2009, 09:07 PM
i've wavered back and forth on them

I was moving towards a yes, but eh.

The only thing truly unique right now is the compass. The app store is okay, but I've browsed and really only see a few that I have a use for. There probably are more but eh. I'd also have to jailbreak it so I could change up more, but apple latest statements regarding jailbreaking really are so full of it.
(They've stated it's a threat to national security).

Really, keep an eye on the android and other phones coming out from HTC.

JohnnyMack
8/2/2009, 10:41 PM
I sold my old 2G on eBay for 205. Then upgraded (since I was eligible) for 199 plus tax. So it cost me about 7 bucks for mine.

Lott's Bandana
8/2/2009, 10:45 PM
GPS= me out of job.

Yeah, $199.00. I got the 16GB, as I hadn't used up the 8GB on my first gen.

I use the Pandora, Shazam, Facebook, Weatherbug, Currency Calculator apps all the time, and games that I get burned out on rather quickly.

The battery seems to be more long-lived than my old iPhone.

HTC does have some cool phones, and the Android promises to be a player in teh wireless OS arena once it really sinks into the market.

SCOUT
8/2/2009, 10:55 PM
I'm sure you have good reasons to not want the iphone, but they really are the ****. I had a Palm Treo before this, mainly because it was one of the few offered at the time with 3g. The iphone is so much better than that phone it isn't even funny.

This pretty much sums up my take. I too had the Treo 650 before this as well as a Blackjack II. They are not even in the same ballpark.

As an aside, I bought my wife an iBook so she could work with our movies, pictures etc. I am not a fan of Mac. I know that makes me instantly uncool, but that was a bus that left the station long ago. I just don't like it.

I resisted the iPhone as long as I could and finally broke down. I waited way too long. I find it to be closer to being my laptop than to my phone. Please understand that I don't have a problem with its phone capabilities, but the extra features are wonderful. To me, it is well worth the money.

soonerboomer93
8/3/2009, 12:48 AM
that blackjack can take a custom rom load that will suprise you with it's increased capabilities.

SteelCitySooner
8/3/2009, 01:13 AM
i luvs my 3Gs

Lott's Bandana
8/3/2009, 08:39 AM
GPS= me out of job.

We got GPS on my submarine in teh mid-90's and I liked it once the bugs were out of it. Didn't have to worry about my job though.

Doesn't work underwater.

;)

Frozen Sooner
8/3/2009, 09:11 AM
The 3Gs is noticeably faster than the 3G was. That's certainly in its favor.

Lott's Bandana
8/3/2009, 11:07 AM
The 3Gs is noticeably faster than the 3G was. That's certainly in its favor.

Yeah, and freakishly faster than my 1gen.