PDA

View Full Version : Hey olevet and homey what do you think about this?

Sooner24
8/2/2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.military.com/news/article/new-regulation-limits-veterans.html

I think it kinda sucks myself.

Okla-homey
8/2/2009, 02:50 PM
http://www.military.com/news/article/new-regulation-limits-veterans.html

I think it kinda sucks myself.

Honestly, I can see both sides. On the one hand, VA has limited permanent bed space. Thus, holding a bed for someone who leaves for weeks at a whack seems wasteful. OTOH, it seems like guys with families and/or folks who care enough about them to invite them into their homes for a few weeks shouldn't be penalized for being so blessed.

I was fortunate to know a guy up in Kansas who was a quad who had lain in a VA bed for thirty years when I came to know him. His mom and dad were long dead, but he had a sister who regularly visited who brought him home with her for a few weeks in the summer each year. he really looked forward to that.

Its a tough one. Maybe a compromise would be to limit them to one or two furloughs of up to two weeks, per year, and the four-day limit for the rest of the time.

olevetonahill
8/2/2009, 02:56 PM
Hard for me to say since I aint ready fer one yet .
But just from reading that Art. I can see that there are not that many who could go on extended leave anyway
The V.A. should Shut up and pay up .
Its not costing a bunch anyway

olevetonahill
8/2/2009, 03:00 PM
Honestly, I can see both sides. On the one hand, VA has limited permanent bed space. Thus, holding a bed for someone who leaves for weeks at a whack seems wasteful. OTOH, it seems like guys with families and/or folks who care enough about them to invite them into their homes for a few weeks shouldn't be penalized for being so blessed.

I was fortunate to know a guy up in Kansas who was a quad who had lain in a VA bed for thirty years when I came to know him. His mom and dad were long dead, but he had a sister who regularly visited who brought him home with her for a few weeks in the summer each year. he really looked forward to that.

Its a tough one. Maybe a compromise would be to limit them to one or two furloughs of up to two weeks, per year, and the four-day limit for the rest of the time.

Homey did you even Read the Article ?

They have limited em 12 days a year , Plus these are STATE run Homes that the V.A. helps pay for
Not V.A homes

"As of May 29, resident veterans may only take leave 12 calendar days per year. The VA won't pay to hold their beds any longer than that, Griffith said."

Sooner24
8/2/2009, 03:03 PM
My FIL was in the Vet Center here in Ardmore, until he died a few years ago. He would go down to Conroe, TX and visit his sister a couple of weeks a year and with this new rule that wouldn't have been possible. I am guessing that day trips are okay just so long as you are back in time to go to bed? Regardless I think it's bad policy.

Okla-homey
8/2/2009, 03:07 PM
Homey did you even Read the Article ?

They have limited em 12 days a year , Plus these are STATE run Homes that the V.A. helps pay for
Not V.A homes

"As of May 29, resident veterans may only take leave 12 calendar days per year. The VA won't pay to hold their beds any longer than that, Griffith said."

Yes. I read it. VA have limited them to three 96 hour (4 day) passes a year if the state-run homes want the VA dollars. It sucks, but it makes sense, particularly given the great demand for these beds.

OTOH, Oklahoma could tell the feds to keep their money and do WTF they want. That's always the problem with federal dollars. They always come with strings.

bluedogok
8/2/2009, 03:18 PM
Is this a US VA or Oklahoma VA regulation?

My grandfather was in the Lawton-Fort Sill Veterans Center (I worked on the design of that project) as I recall my mother stated that they had to pay quite a bit for his care there, not as much as the Alzheimer's facility in Lawton where he was located before but there was still substantial money that came out of his accounts. I think the VA helps with the cost but I don't think it is free care.

Either way, it should be your "home" until you sign the papers to relocate somewhere else or pass away. It seems to discourage family involvement if the person still has the ability to travel and stay with family. My grandfather didn't have that ability in the last few years of his life. It got to a point where he couldn't even spend part of a day at my aunt's house in Lawton. Seems to me it could be very detrimental to a veterans state of mind to enact regulations such as that. I can understand limiting the passes of active duty but our retired veterans deserve better.