PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Home and R.I.P. Captain Michael "Scott" Speicher.

olevetonahill
8/2/2009, 11:26 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090802/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_gulf_war_missing_pilot

SoonerStormchaser
8/2/2009, 11:48 AM
Amen.
Finally a hero gets his proper due.

The Remnant
8/2/2009, 12:43 PM
Having an uncle still missing from the Cold War, I am not sure some people realize the importance of closure for the families.

CrimsonJim
8/2/2009, 01:10 PM
Only took 'em 18 years to find him, but he's finally home. God bless.

Frozen Sooner
8/2/2009, 01:37 PM
That must have been horrible for his family not knowing for 18 years. Glad they could put his remains to rest.

Okla-homey
8/2/2009, 01:40 PM
That must have been horrible for his family not knowing for 18 years. Glad they could put his remains to rest.

It's also cool the military continues to promote MIA's until the case gets closed in order to ensure the families get the benefit of the corresponding increases in pay.

Frozen Sooner
8/2/2009, 01:45 PM
That IS really cool. I didn't know that. I assume they waive selection boards?

GottaHavePride
8/2/2009, 01:51 PM
I didn't know they continued to promote MIAs - that's cool.

I'm glad they finally found him - it's crazy to think I was 11 when he was shot down. And spek to the Bedouins that buried him years ago...

Okla-homey
8/2/2009, 01:52 PM
That IS really cool. I didn't know that. I assume they waive selection boards?

It's virtually automatic. For enlisted troops, they generally promote them up to E-9. O's they don't promote above 0-6.

This guy was an 0-4 when he disappeared in January 1991. Thus, he was promoted in absentia twice. Also, they don't pay the families forever. At the end of the missing GI's normal expected life-span, they generally declare him KIA, and pay survivors benefits to any qualifying NOK.

olevetonahill
8/2/2009, 01:55 PM
His Status was changed several times . Frim KIA to MIA/Captured
how did that work out ?

Okla-homey
8/2/2009, 01:58 PM
I didn't know they continued to promote MIAs - that's cool.

I'm glad they finally found him - it's crazy to think I was 11 when he was shot down. And spek to the Bedouins that buried him years ago...

Another thing they do that is cool, is medically retire mortally wounded guys on their death beds.

If a guy is mortally wounded, and not in trouble for any serious disciplinary infraction, they'll go ahead and cut retirement orders. That way, his spouse gets paid and she and the kids get to keep their military benefits.

Now, if she remarries, her benefits dry up. But the kids keep theirs until they graduate from college of hit 23, whichever comes first.

Sooner24
8/2/2009, 02:01 PM
God rest his soul. I hope his family will get much needed closure now that he has been found.

I just want to thank all of the people on this message board who have served or are serving to protect our freedoms. You are daily in my thoughts and prayers.

Okla-homey
8/2/2009, 02:01 PM
His Status was changed several times . Frim KIA to MIA/Captured
how did that work out ?

His status changed based on the information that was coming in from the field. KIA to MIA can happen based on a witness account. Say his wingman saw his plane crash and there was no ejection. KIA. Now, say some local civilian reports seeing an American in the immediate vicinity around the time of the crash or shortly thereafter...bingo, KIA to MIA.

olevetonahill
8/2/2009, 02:05 PM
His status changed based on the information that was coming in from the field. KIA to MIA can happen based on a witness account. Say his wingman saw his plane crash and there was no ejection. KIA. Now, say some local civilian reports seeing an American in the immediate vicinity around the time of the crash or shortly thereafter...bingo, KIA to MIA.

I understand that part Bro
I was wondering about the Promotions and such
he was Classified as KIA for 10 yrs before they went to the MIA thing

Okla-homey
8/2/2009, 02:23 PM
I understand that part Bro
I was wondering about the Promotions and such
he was Classified as KIA for 10 yrs before they went to the MIA thing

easy peazy. Once they change his status from KIA to MIA, they go back and calculate when the promotions would have occured had he been in MIA status all along. Then, they retroactively promote him and pay the family a lump sum to catch-up on the missed pay increases, with a set-off for death benefits paid on that initial death determination. Then, they continue to pay at the highest rank attained, until that is stopped by any subsequent KIA determination.

olevetonahill
8/2/2009, 03:18 PM
:cool: Thanks

OKC-SLC
8/2/2009, 04:42 PM
thanks for the original post, olevet.

SteelCitySooner
8/3/2009, 01:21 AM
Welcome home hero

stoopified
8/4/2009, 04:16 PM
As strange as it sounds I am glad he IS deceased,I have had nightmares that he had been held prisoner and tortured.Maybe I have watched too many movies about that happening to Korean and Viet Nam vets.Prayers to his family.