PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Visits With Saban In Tuscaloosa This Past Week

Sabanball
8/1/2009, 12:57 PM
http://blogs.tuscaloosanews.com/default.asp?item=2405523

Also per the Tulsa World. Good to see there's good, mutual respect between both these guys. Think maybe they compared notes on UF?? It's well known that Nick is installing some new defensive schemes to combat the spread that Florida(and now Miss St will be running) runs. What I would give to hear just a part of their conversation. At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if both our teams' D bear a lot of resemblance to one another come Sept.

JLEW1818
8/1/2009, 01:07 PM
yah I'm sure they did talk about Florida

badger
8/1/2009, 01:19 PM
Hopefully, they were discussing the upcoming plea to their athletic departments to schedule another home-and-home series :)

Sabanball
8/1/2009, 02:43 PM
Hopefully, they were discussing the upcoming plea to their athletic departments to schedule another home-and-home series :)

I would certainly be all for that! Bringing our army of RV's to Norman was a great road trip, and I don't remember hosting a better group of fans in T-town at least since the Penn St fans used to come here back in the '80's.

bent rider
8/1/2009, 02:50 PM
It's well known that Nick is installing some new defensive schemes to combat the spread that Florida(and now Miss St will be running) runs. What I would give to hear just a part of their conversation. At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if both our teams' D bear a lot of resemblance to one another come Sept.

Whatever defense Saban was using against the spread in the first quarter of the Sugar Bowl was absolutely masterful.

GKeeper316
8/1/2009, 03:01 PM
bah we had the game vs florida won... scheme-wise, just fell short in execution. chris brown gets in on one of those sweep lefts on the goal line and manny johnson pulls that ball in instead of letting it bounce off his shoulderpads, its a 28-24 sooner win.

madillsoonerfan5353
8/1/2009, 03:24 PM
bah we had the game vs florida won... scheme-wise, just fell short in execution. chris brown gets in on one of those sweep lefts on the goal line and manny johnson pulls that ball in instead of letting it bounce off his shoulderpads, its a 28-24 sooner win.

If Big Duke doesn't get 20 yards worth of flags on one of the first drives we might score, KW don't call outside of what he has all year! IF IF IF!

:pop:

SoonerBacker
8/1/2009, 03:26 PM
I would certainly be all for that! Bringing our army of RV's to Norman was a great road trip, and I don't remember hosting a better group of fans in T-town at least since the Penn St fans used come here back in the '80's.

I'm all for it, too! I enjoyed the time I got to spend with Bama fans more than any group that has EVER been in Norman.

soonerloyal
8/1/2009, 03:39 PM
Stoops better watch his back hangin out near SEC Land. These damn jorts-wearing acolytes of The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah and Meyer might try to give him some sorta grief simply because he's a friend of Spurrier. And they're all bent out of shape with him because of the whole "O-M-Gawd, you're responsible for the whole ununanimous The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah Love Fest Vote!"

Florida, America's Johnson. I hate it here...

oumartin
8/1/2009, 03:55 PM
Stoops could learn a little something from Saban.

JLEW1818
8/1/2009, 03:57 PM
i just watched the 2001 Oklahoma, Oklahoma State replay... uhhh, couldn't do anything on offense

goingoneight
8/1/2009, 04:49 PM
Maybe if we weren't starting a QB who was still seeing double, 2001 OU/OSU might have been slightly different.

On the original subject... anyone who is smart watched what we ran (defensively) against UF and gained something for the upcoming season. I'm pretty sure that so long as Stoops respects someone, he's not afraid to tell a person or two what it is he runs in the off-season. Turnovers led to OUr defense wearing down. UF didn't do anything special to us that night until we were just worn out late in the 4th quarter. Much different than them raping their opposition for the entirity of the game all year leading up to the MNC.

Also what could have been done is the same thing that many other coaches have done by visiting Norman. Take a look-see at facilities, meet coaches and young assistants, maybe watch a practice session or workout or two... watch some film, etc.

Sabanball
8/1/2009, 04:49 PM

I agree, but you know what they say about ifs and buts.....;)

Actually, your defense was the highlight of the game to me. Holding Tebow and co. to 24 points I think was their season low.

Oh well, now that we both been 'tebowed', it's kinda good to see our coaches getting together and sharing information. It will help us both.

CK Sooner
8/1/2009, 05:15 PM
We all have one thought in common.

**** Florida.

SoonerLB
8/1/2009, 05:27 PM
"Florida, America's Johnson."

Kinda goes with 'Timmy the testicle trimmer' don't it?

And CK Sooner, WELL SAID!

SPuL
8/1/2009, 05:29 PM
good to hear.

oumartin
8/1/2009, 05:30 PM
Rumor has Saban sent Chuck Long a replica National Championship ring from the 2003 season.

G8trGr8t
8/1/2009, 09:22 PM
Funny part is that some Bama fans cried like little girls after Urban talked to his former assistant at Utah but getting help from Stoops is like manna from heaven. Too funny.

JLEW1818
8/1/2009, 10:34 PM
urban had to get picked on in high school

AlbqSooner
8/1/2009, 11:14 PM
I have been a Sooner fan since 1954. Started going to games in the early sixties. My trip to Tuscaloosa was unquestionably the finest I have been treated by fans at any road game anywhere. Unquestionably.

rainiersooner
8/2/2009, 08:07 AM
Funny part is that some Bama fans cried like little girls after Urban talked to his former assistant at Utah but getting help from Stoops is like manna from heaven. Too funny.

No inter-SEC trash talk allowed on this board. Go kill each other somewhere else! :D

IronHorseSooner
8/2/2009, 08:54 AM
From my experiences from being stationed in Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida:

'Bama= OU: (Legendary program with great fans, both wear crimson)
Allbarn= OSU: (Aggy program who always seems to be left out, both had a great RB in the '80s)
LSU= Colorado: Drunk classless fanbases
FLA= Texas: Arrogant and annoying, but the media LOVES both of them
Vandy= Baylor: Private schools than haven't done a whole lot, but are showing signs of improvement
Miss State= Iowa State: Small state schools that haven't much
Tenn= Nebbish: Once powerful team that is trying to find its way back to glory, also a primary rival to the two Crimson teams
Georgia=Mizzou: Had an up and down history, always expect a lot, had headcase Texas QBs leading them last year
South Carolina=Tech: Quirky team that is usually one-dimensional (SC is defense, Tech is offense) with an eccentric coach who is friends with Coach Stoops
Kentucky= Kansas: Basketball school who has a nice football run, every now and then
Arky= A&M: Old SWC school that holds a deep hatred for Texas
Ole Miss= K State Backwater team that will have peaks of greatness, but inevitably disappoints.

JiuJitsuSooner
8/2/2009, 02:09 PM
From my experiences from being stationed in Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida:

Allbarn= OSU: (Aggy program who always seems to be left out, both had a great RB in the '80s)
FLA= *Texas*: Arrogant and annoying, but the media LOVES both of them
Vandy= Baylor: Private schools than haven't done a whole lot, but are showing signs of improvement
Tenn= Nebbish: Once powerful team that is trying to find its way back to glory, also a primary rival to the two Crimson teams
Georgia=Mizzou: Had an up and down history, always expect a lot, had headcase *Texas* QBs leading them last year
South Carolina=Tech: Quirky team that is usually one-dimensional (SC is defense, Tech is offense) with an eccentric coach who is friends with Coach Stoops
Kentucky= Kansas: Basketball school who has a nice football run, every now and then
Arky= A&M: Old SWC school that holds a deep hatred for *Texas*
Ole Miss= K State Backwater team that will have peaks of greatness, but inevitably disappoints.

spot on !

goingoneight
8/2/2009, 03:37 PM
I may be going to a Bama game this season. M friend said something about Alabama/Arkie... but I don't really follow either one closely enough to know if they're playing, where at and when this year. I just told her "hell yes, so long as I'm not going to an OU game that week."

She understood.

Dan Thompson
8/2/2009, 06:34 PM
Someone said they where talking about pass interference and how to get the refs attention.

soonerfan28
8/2/2009, 07:05 PM
Did Stoops ask him why they were spying on us during practices leading up to the 2003 national championship?

Sabanball
8/2/2009, 08:35 PM

Ummm....I think Bob came out to Tuscaloosa, not the reverse, friend. I'm sure it was at Nick's invitation, but I think you're being very disingenuous if you think it was primarily for us to get 'secret info' or gifted insight from your coach to prepare only against a team we're not even scheduled to play against this year. Let's face it--Bob and Nick both are ingenius defensive coaches in their own right and getting together to share ideas is great for both teams. Iron sharpens iron.
You guys will go up against the spread a lot more during the season than we do down here in the 'grind it out' SEC. You guys will have a great D but I think it's obvious who will need to defend the spread O the most. We'll definitely face it only once during the regular season in Starkville. We only pick up the gators if we make it to the SECCG.

Sabanball
8/2/2009, 08:36 PM

Georgia=Mizzou: Had an up and down history, always expect a lot, had headcase *Texas* QBs leading them last year

Ditto. Great analysis.:)

SoonerInFortSmith
8/2/2009, 09:52 PM

Who asked you?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/3/2009, 07:30 AM
Saban and Stoops were probably talking about what is going to happen when in the distant future they pass on and Tim Tebow will be there at the pearly gates to judge them...eh, eff Tebow.

SoonersEnFuego
8/3/2009, 01:09 PM

Well done.

badger
8/3/2009, 01:29 PM

Well done! Now... do the Big 10 and pretend that Notre Dame accepted the invite to be a part of their conference. :D

Extra Challenge: Do NOT compare OU to Notre Dame.

Pricetag
8/3/2009, 03:49 PM
Stoops could learn a little something from Saban.
Hopefully about how bad it sucks to coach in the NFL.

Curly Bill
8/3/2009, 04:01 PM

If Stoops doesn't already know that coaching in the NFL is not all that, then he probably does need to go and get a taste of it. Lucky for us I think he's smart enough to already know though.

cheezyq
8/3/2009, 05:04 PM

Kinda like the UF fans cried like little girls when Timmy T didn't win the Heisman (or finish 2nd) and didn't get a unanimous vote for all SEC? Just curious, wondering if those are the same tears or if UF tears come in a different shade, something like hypocrite blue maybe.

Fraggle145
8/3/2009, 05:11 PM
Ummm....I think Bob came out to Tuscaloosa, not the reverse, friend. I'm sure it was at Nick's invitation, but I think you're being very disingenuous if you think it was primarily for us to get 'secret info' or gifted insight from your coach to prepare only against a team we're not even scheduled to play against this year. Let's face it--Bob and Nick both are ingenius defensive coaches in their own right and getting together to share ideas is great for both teams. Iron sharpens iron.
You guys will go up against the spread a lot more during the season than we do down here in the 'grind it out' SEC. You guys will have a great D but I think it's obvious who will need to defend the spread O the most. We'll definitely face it only once during the regular season in Starkville. We only pick up the gators if we make it to the SECCG.

you know that was a Floridiot you were responding to right?

Fraggle145
8/3/2009, 05:14 PM

The only problem with this is that UGA throughout their history has been a much more consistent winner than Florida. Florida has only become good recently (i.e. since the 90s). Until then UGA and Tenn handed them their *** every year.

Sabanball
8/3/2009, 11:19 PM

You got that right. These two men belong in the college game. They are teachers, not millionaire managers.