PDA

View Full Version : Shh.. I've heard we've been lifing weights?

meoveryouxinfinity
8/1/2009, 08:31 AM
Tim Griffin's Big XII Blog (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-11-146/My-Big-12-media-day-musings.html)

The Big 12 media days are always one of my favorite events to cover every year. It's a great way to get excited about the upcoming season, and I can guarantee I came out of the festivities with that feeling after talking to all of the players and coaches.

It's always fun to see everybody. After having a day or so to decompress, I came away from it with a few observations I'd like to share with you.

* Not only are the Oklahoma Sooners the three-time defending Big 12 champions, but they also were easily the most impressive looking athletes I saw during my time at the media days. And the most impressive was Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, who looked like he added about 10 pounds of muscle during the offseason.

As I walked past him, I could have sworn that Bradford was bigger, stronger and better cut muscularly than many of the linebackers I saw during the week.

But Jermaine Gresham and Gerald McCoy weren't far behind. It looks like Sooners strength and conditioning coach Jerry Schmidt's work has paid off over the past few months.

I likey. oh and by lifing weights, I meant lifting weights, ghetto style.

fadada1
8/1/2009, 09:09 AM
have any of you hillbillies seen the weight room? i mean, up close??

you get bigger just getting near that weight room.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/1/2009, 09:10 AM

I've never "lifed" a weight in my life.

badger
8/1/2009, 10:04 AM

You mean the one that has stuff on the walls like "All-American players on championship teams want to pushed. Average players on mediocre teams want it easy?"

IronHorseSooner
8/1/2009, 11:05 AM
This shouldn't come as a shock. Schmitty might be the best in the business, but this year's team might have made the most changes since Coach Stoops took the reigns. For example, Hanna has put on about 30 lbs of pure muscle. He came to the program at about 215; he's now 245, and looks like a bodybuilder. The same can be said about Dejuan Miller. He's about MK size (6'4", 227, if I remember).

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/1/2009, 11:21 AM
What is the over under on the amount of time that it takes a "Schmidt gives OU players steroids" thread starts on hornfans.com and whatever the Poke post on

JLEW1818
8/1/2009, 11:49 AM
i heard they put 5 inches on Sammy boy, hes like 6'9 now

madillsoonerfan5353
8/1/2009, 03:34 PM
i heard the put 5 inches on Sammy boy, hes like 6'9 now

You had me worried for a second!! :D

Eielson
8/1/2009, 03:44 PM
As I walked past him, I could have sworn that Bradford was bigger, stronger and better cut muscularly than many of the linebackers I saw during the week.

But Jermaine Gresham and Gerald McCoy weren't far behind. It looks like Sooners strength and conditioning coach Jerry Schmidt's work has paid off over the past few months.

I hope this guy is kidding.

TXBOOMER
8/1/2009, 04:22 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!:D :D :D :D :D

OUAlumni1990
8/1/2009, 04:24 PM
Had you taken a look at DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown? Both those guys arms look like cannons about ready to go off! Jacked!

Gonna be a great season!

CK Sooner
8/1/2009, 04:38 PM

:eek:

goingoneight
8/1/2009, 04:53 PM
Sounds like the off-season conditioning is going relatively well... but does it surprise ANYONE to hear that Sam, Jermaine, DeMarco, CB, Gerald or DeJuan Miller look stout?

Too bad we didn't hear any OL conditioning stories.

ThatGuy65
8/1/2009, 06:09 PM
You mean the one that has stuff on the walls like "All-American players on championship teams want to pushed. Average players on mediocre teams want it easy?"

In the Switzer Center, it says "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." But the football team doesn't really use it anymore. They work out in the dungeon in the Everest Center.

AlbqSooner
8/1/2009, 06:26 PM
When Cale Gundy was here in Albq with the Sooner Caravan a couple of months ago he was asked about DeMarco's rehab. After giving a report on how that is going he commented that when he was unable to work the lower body due to the injury and surgery, he worked the upper body hard. Said his upper body strength is amazing. Said standing next to him you think LB more than RB. I expect good things from him this year.

goingoneight
8/1/2009, 09:44 PM
He wasn't able to play in spring ball or leg press, but most of our guys have been held out of extensive action in spring ball and as long as you're not severely injured, a few weeks into full pads and two-a-days will build up your strength again down low.

I think DeMarco's biggest adjustment last year was the weight gain, and not the knee. He never really got that lightning-quick burst or top-flite speed back to just roast defenders last year, but he was making amazing cuts and moves from day one all throughout the rest of the season. Remember that the run game issues fell on the hats of the linemen last fall, too. They were big enough to get on their heels and give Sam plenty of time, but none of them really went down low and decleated anyone of note. Teams withgood run defenses aren't going to let you loose much anyways, and that's exactly what Cincinnati, TCU and Texas had. Everyone talked about how DeMarco mgically got better for Kansas and I'm like... well, duh... so did Chris Brown. It's KANSAS! It's not DM's fault or his injury's fault when guys blow through OUr OL untouched. Not even AD could find much success that way.
There's a huge difference between being a healthy, flett-footed 185-pound back and a 215 pound back. Trust me, I had to gain weight and only 10 pounds slowed me down badly. You don't notice it until you're going full-contact and your coach isn't blowing the whistle everytime you get two-touched.

ThatGuy65
8/2/2009, 04:52 PM
Too bad we didn't hear any OL conditioning stories.

I don't think you'd want to.

soonerguild
8/2/2009, 08:09 PM
I don't think you'd want to.

That Bad?

JLEW1818
8/2/2009, 08:10 PM
I think Trent will lead by example, I'm not sure if he is a "vocal" leader.. Sam really aint that much of a yelling type, just gets it done.