PDA

View Full Version : Our New O-line Talent

htownsooner7
7/31/2009, 03:10 PM
This initial question is mainly intended for insiders. How good are Brandon, Jones, Habern, and Good? It appears as though they could be top of the line talent (needing starting experience of course). Does our staff feel good about these guys? I know they are confident in T. Williams and B. Simmons.

These new guys could be all-conference types just needing the opportunity, but I'd like to here from you guys who have personal knowledge.

I have a feeling that one of the stories of the year will be how the "decimated OU line" is the positive surprise of the season, only those of us who actually follow this stuff, may not be that surprised if they perform very well.

Dan Thompson
7/31/2009, 03:16 PM
It's hard to get much OU news out hear in SUC land, but I heard that all four OL where 4 star recurits and that they all have had playing time.

Curly Bill
7/31/2009, 03:20 PM
Our O-line will be fine.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/31/2009, 04:04 PM
As long as they have that CHAMPIONSHIP SWAGGER, all is good!

:pop:

CBUS_SOONER
7/31/2009, 04:45 PM
I feel good about the o line. A lot of people will disagree with me but here goes... I think our line was overrated last yr (see texazz, gator, and horned frogs games). The line this yr is more equipped to run our up tempo offense imo... Call me crazy... Call me optimistic. We will be better overall this yr.

IronHorseSooner
7/31/2009, 06:31 PM
It also helps that they go against the best D-Line in the land everyday in practice.

BoulderSooner79
7/31/2009, 07:20 PM
I feel good about the o line. A lot of people will disagree with me but here goes... I think our line was overrated last yr (see texazz, gator, and horned frogs games). The line this yr is more equipped to run our up tempo offense imo... Call me crazy... Call me optimistic. We will be better overall this yr.

You're crazy. You're optimistic. :)

I sort of agree with you. The individual talent in our line was overrated compared to how they went in the draft. But they were a great group of pass blockers and that can be attributed to cohesion and *coaching*. We still have the same coaches (right?). Most folks didn't claim they were an over powering run blocking group, but our stats there weren't too bad either. With Sam back, I hope this new group are great pass blockers too if I had to make a choice.

CBUS_SOONER
7/31/2009, 07:29 PM
You're crazy. You're optimistic. :)

I sort of agree with you. The individual talent in our line was overrated compared to how they went in the draft. But they were a great group of pass blockers and that can be attributed to cohesion and *coaching*. We still have the same coaches (right?). Most folks didn't claim they were an over powering run blocking group, but our stats there weren't too bad either. With Sam back, I hope this new group are great pass blockers too if I had to make a choice.

Yeah. I'm more concerned with our special teams... I hated watching that garbage last yr.

ThatGuy65
8/2/2009, 04:33 PM
I've been saying this on other boards and I'll say it here. Our problem on the line will not be a lack of experience. It will be a problem with work ethic, depth, and injuries. We're talented, yes. But some of those guys are not great in workouts or in the classroom.

CK Sooner
8/2/2009, 05:06 PM
Wait until two a days are over for more information. Which is pretty much the start of the season.

soonerfan28
8/2/2009, 06:57 PM
I think we are going to be a much more athletic line then we were last year. Williams has better footwork then Loadholt and will be able to handle the quicker DE's better then Loadholt could. I think Simmons is a lock for LG and he's gotten a lot of snaps since moving from DT 2 or maybe even 3 years ago. At center w/the transfer of Hannan it's Habern's to lose and he and Good, who will be the RG, are workout monsters. I think the biggest competition will be between Brandon and Jones at RT. Jones played some for LSU in 2007 and Brandon has been in the system for 4 years now so should have a leg up on Jones. Regardless of who plays RT, we will have a more talented O-line then last year and I think they will be the biggest surprise this fall.

JLEW1818
8/2/2009, 07:59 PM
I think we start official practice on Thursday???

ThatGuy65
8/2/2009, 08:14 PM
I think the biggest competition will be between Brandon and Jones at RT.

I don't think there will be a competition at all. The spot is Brandon's.

Curly Bill
8/2/2009, 08:17 PM
Damn coach, thanks for contributing to our board. Shouldn't you be getting ready for the season right now though?

JLEW1818
8/2/2009, 08:23 PM
coming up on 10,000 are we...

Curly Bill
8/2/2009, 08:31 PM
coming up on 10,000 are we...

I been sneaking up on it pretty slowly lately.

CBUS_SOONER
8/2/2009, 09:23 PM
I'm approaching 40... Its great being apart of the forum gents.

Curly Bill
8/2/2009, 09:29 PM
I'm approaching 40... Its great being apart of the forum gents.

Welcome to the board.

jlew is a bad role model though, so be careful of him. ;)

Soonerfan88
8/2/2009, 09:44 PM
I think the 2 juco guys are going to be the biggest surprise. I bet one of them will be at least sharing as starter before the season is over.

JLEW1818
8/2/2009, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the board.

jlew is a bad role model though, so be careful of him. ;)

lol :D

JLEW1818
8/2/2009, 09:49 PM
I think the 2 juco guys are going to be the biggest surprise. I bet one of them will be at least sharing as starter before the season is over.

yup, from what I've learned, they are either hit or miss. Loadholt was a big hit!

i hope Keeney can help out

htownsooner7
8/3/2009, 06:30 PM
yup, from what I've learned, they are either hit or miss. Loadholt was a big hit!

i hope Keeney can help out

Seems like the guy from Colorado State may play a role as well.

ThatGuy65
8/3/2009, 08:13 PM
Seems like the guy from Colorado State may play a role as well.

Brian Lepak. Yes, he's going to get plenty of PT.

soonerfan28
8/3/2009, 08:15 PM
Brian Lepak is originally from Oklahoma (Claremore), so we can refer to him as the guy from Claremore.:D

gaylordfan1
8/4/2009, 09:01 AM
C. Kenney, newcomer of the year? I think so.

1890MilesToNorman
8/4/2009, 09:40 AM
All I've heard about these guys is they eat a lot. That's a good sign.