PDA

View Full Version : Texas Throwback Unis

CobraKai
7/31/2009, 12:41 PM
From the Tulsa World...

Longhorn throwback

Texas will don throwback uniforms against Texas A&M this season in honor of coaching legend Darrell Royal. The throwbacks, designed by Nike, were unveiled Saturday during Royal's 85th birthday party at Royal-Memorial Stadium.

The white road uniform will feature a patch with Royal's initials, DKR, on the hip. The Longhorns also will wear helmets in the style of those worn by UT's first national championship team in 1963, a squad coached by Royal.

My question is this: to complete the tribute to Darrel Royal, should Texas' white throwback uniforms also include white "hoods?" Thoughts?

OUDoc
7/31/2009, 12:48 PM
They're only starting white players too.

;) <--so no one sues me. :)

picasso
7/31/2009, 12:50 PM
how much has their uni changed other than adding a logo on the helmet and removing the tube of standard issued vagisil?

Seamus
7/31/2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

Seriously, those asshats were the last all-white team to win the national title. Under Royal, no less.

Texas and the entire SWC still stank from a disgusting legacy.

badger
7/31/2009, 12:57 PM
In honor of the 60th anniversary of the 1939 national championship, Texaz A&M will...

a) Unearth Reveille I-VII so they can watch the team get outscored firsthand.
b) Play "Sweet Home Alabama" in honor of Bear Bryant's defection, to much aggie hissing.
c) Bar the Corps of Cadets from attending, as they would have been off serving in the armed forces during 1939 and not watching football.
d) Bar A&M women from attending and only allow Texaz Women's University (and Baylor chicks) students as aggie guests.
e) Erect a Texaz-sized wh0rn statue and a bonesaw so they can literally "saw varisity's h0rns off."
f) Fail. Budget cuts disallow honoring past Aggie tradition. Ticket prices, however, will rise regardless of how good the team is on the field.

goingoneight
7/31/2009, 02:26 PM
They should wear an OU patch on their shoulders to remind people where DKR came from.

... not that many of them were fans more than say, four years ago anyway.

badger
7/31/2009, 02:32 PM
... not that many of them were fans more than say, four years ago anyway.

Why? Did something of note happen four years ago that would cause a lot of people to become Texaz fans?

:P

setem
7/31/2009, 03:15 PM
I was gonna say...why not wear old OU uniforms to honor him?

Statalyzer
7/31/2009, 05:22 PM
Seriously, those asshats were the last all-white team to win the national title. Under Royal, no less.

Yes, being better than the other all-white teams that were left makes them asshats. Even though Royal had recruited black players ever since 1963 (when the board of directors finally lifted their racist ban) before then, and had been recruiting hispanic players since the moment he got to Texas (some white supremacist) and the 1969 team wouldn't have been an all-white team had freshmen been allowed to play varsity as they are nowadays. Was Bud Wilkinson a KKK asshat too? He had all-white teams for over half his career with OU.

Soonerman08
7/31/2009, 07:20 PM
I was gonna say...why not wear old OU uniforms to honor him?

THIS!!! :D

CBUS_SOONER
7/31/2009, 07:26 PM
In 50 yrs when they honor pedophile Mack, the logo on the helmet will have one of these on it --> *

footballfanatic
7/31/2009, 07:49 PM
Texas had an African American player on the '69 team.

picasso
7/31/2009, 10:40 PM
Yes, being better than the other all-white teams that were left makes them asshats. Even though Royal had recruited black players ever since 1963 (when the board of directors finally lifted their racist ban) before then, and had been recruiting hispanic players since the moment he got to *Texas* (some white supremacist) and the 1969 team wouldn't have been an all-white team had freshmen been allowed to play varsity as they are nowadays. Was Bud Wilkinson a KKK asshat too? He had all-white teams for over half his career with OU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prentice_Gautt

DKR can kiss it.

MyT Oklahoma
7/31/2009, 11:53 PM

I was thinking the very same thing but you said it first.

SoonerBacker
8/1/2009, 07:51 AM
In honor of the 60th anniversary of the 1939 national championship, Texaz A&M will...

a) Unearth Reveille I-VII so they can watch the team get outscored firsthand.
b) Play "Sweet Home Alabama" in honor of Bear Bryant's defection, to much aggie hissing.
c) Bar the Corps of Cadets from attending, as they would have been off serving in the armed forces during 1939 and not watching football.
d) Bar A&M women from attending and only allow Texaz Women's University (and Baylor chicks) students as aggie guests.
e) Erect a Texaz-sized wh0rn statue and a bonesaw so they can literally "saw varisity's h0rns off."
f) Fail. Budget cuts disallow honoring past Aggie tradition. Ticket prices, however, will rise regardless of how good the team is on the field.

Why would they have been off serving in the armed forces instead of watching football in 1939? :confused:

oudivesherpa
8/1/2009, 11:00 AM
In 50 yrs when they honor pedophile *Mack*, the logo on the helmet will have one of these on it --> *

I didn't know he liked little boys, I thought he just liked big boys?

DeadSolidPerfect
8/1/2009, 11:16 AM
*Texas* had an African American player on the '69 team.

Could he stay in the same hotel as the rest of the team?

SoonerShark
8/1/2009, 11:31 AM

My first impression, too. But regarding the movie "The Express" and Texas' racist attack on Ernie Davis in the Cotton Bowl, the Austin American Statesman has pointed out that Texas was not all White. They had a Hispanic player on their team. By the way, the OSU president who apologized for the racist attack is no longer at OSU. Coincidence or not? Believe it....or not.
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/10/10/1010golden.html

Texas today is upset that the O-Aggies are historically worse and synonymous with racist acts. By the way, the OSU president who recently apologized for the racist attack is now gone. Coincidence? Believe it...or not.

http://www.lib.drake.edu/site/newsEvents/detail.php?id=141

badger
8/1/2009, 01:18 PM
Note the asterisks in the statesman article.

I think Schmidtly (sp?) not being president at OSU anymore has more to do with T. Boner than the apology to Drake University... and I don't think anyone from OSU would fault the prez for providing an overdue apology.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/2/2009, 10:47 PM
My first impression, too. But regarding the movie "The Express" and *Texas*' racist attack on Ernie Davis in the Cotton Bowl, the Austin American Statesman has pointed out that *Texas* was not all White. They had a Hispanic player on their team.

Isn't hispanic the same as white in the great state of texas? That's like making a big deal of OSU having a dirt farmer on the team.:eek:

Mac94
8/3/2009, 09:14 AM
Bar the Corps of Cadets from attending, as they would have been off serving in the armed forces during 1939 and not watching football.

WOW, I always thought we didn't enter the war until December of 1941! ;)

badger
8/3/2009, 09:17 AM
WOW, I always thought we didn't enter the war until December of 1941! ;)

Aggies would have been there in 1939 at the start of the war... they're weird like that.

:P that post was meant to be a joke... but we all know how aggies take jokes. (http://www.ricefootball.net/mobday.htm)

Mac94
8/3/2009, 09:27 AM
Hmmm ... version I heard back in the day was that they had to back up trucks to the stadium to wisk the M.O.B. away from the frenzied Aggies. The SWC is full of such stories .... it was one thing that made the conference so fun. That is, though, one of the funny things about A&M .... we love to tell Aggie jokes and A&M publising even has a series of Aggie joke books that are sold all over ... we profit over them. But some of us can be a thin skinned lot when it comes to outsiders.

badger
8/3/2009, 09:48 AM
I'm glad we have a cool aggie on the board :D

I can only imagine if a Penn State cheerleader decided to say "Fightin' Penn State Nittany Lion... Reveille VII on her death bed, somebody get her a doggie casket before she fails obedience school again."

:D It would have been quite timely too, considering her retirement that year.