PDA

View Full Version : More USC cheating............

SoonerKnight
7/30/2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-usc30-2009jul30,0,5447350.story?page=1

SO anyone else seen this? I have not seen this posted......

jumperstop
7/30/2009, 12:58 AM
haha **** SUC. They deserve to finally be caught. I just hope they keep finding stuff to put on.

Also glad to see that a fellow Oklahoman was interviewed...makes you wonder if they did that on purpose as a jab a OU.

"That's coaching," said J. Brent Clark, a onetime NCAA investigator who practices law in Oklahoma, when told of Rodriguez's statements.
"The rules are designed to level the playing field for all institutions regardless of the size of their budgets. It would make no sense for the rich and powerful to be able to compensate coaches with NFL backgrounds outside the coaching-limitation rules."

boomersooner28
7/30/2009, 05:45 AM
Like anything is going to happen to USC. They are above the rules.

Next.

The Remnant
7/30/2009, 10:46 AM
I agree. The following strategy has served them well:

"We are aware of this issue and are looking into the matter. We will have no further comment at this time," the statement said

Other schools should adopt this.

SoonerInFortSmith
7/30/2009, 01:06 PM
More NCAA trouble for USC football?

Don't they have to get in trouble a first time in order to get in "more trouble"?

stoopified
7/30/2009, 01:15 PM
Don't they have to get in trouble a first time in order to get in "more trouble"?That is what I was thinking.

badger
7/30/2009, 02:21 PM
I know we all want a ban hammer dropped on their collective little trojan heads, but the damage is already being done when just the thought of "lack of institutional control" is brought up over and over in the LA Times, Yahoo Sports and other media that have reported on USC's troubles... yes, even ESPN has targeted USC (although they did it in basketball, not football, with the recruitment of OJ Mayo being their focus).

UCLA's Slick Rick surely used the threat of "lack of institutional control" to lure USC recruits to him (and it seemed to work, with a few defectors that originally committed to SC choosing the Bruins instead). Other Pac 10 coaches, Notre Dame and any other school trying to woo SC recruits would be foolish to not bring it up.

So anyways, don't feel too bad about the NCAA being complete pansies on this. The damage is being done one way or another.

Scott D
7/30/2009, 02:33 PM
espn is turning on the usc football team now too.

yermom
7/30/2009, 02:47 PM
I agree. The following strategy has served them well:

"We are aware of this issue and are looking into the matter. We will have no further comment at this time," the statement said

Other schools should adopt this.

uh, they are on vacation, and we can't reach them for comment

meoveryouxinfinity
7/30/2009, 02:54 PM
I know we all want a ban hammer dropped on their collective little trojan heads, but the damage is already being done when just the thought of "lack of institutional control" is brought up over and over in the LA Times, Yahoo Sports and other media that have reported on USC's troubles... yes, even ESPN has targeted USC (although they did it in basketball, not football, with the recruitment of OJ Mayo being their focus).

UCLA's Slick Rick surely used the threat of "lack of institutional control" to lure USC recruits to him (and it seemed to work, with a few defectors that originally committed to SC choosing the Bruins instead). Other Pac 10 coaches, Notre Dame and any other school trying to woo SC recruits would be foolish to not bring it up.

So anyways, don't feel too bad about the NCAA being complete pansies on this. The damage is being done one way or another.

I think that's just stupid and classless. Recruits know what's going on. I think it would insult their intelligence to suggest, "hey, you know you should choose Oklahoma because USC is going to get the death penalty". The recruit obviously likes the school regardless.
It's like Macky saying "Whose house is bigger? Mine or Bob Stoops?" :texan:

badger
7/30/2009, 03:22 PM
I think that's just stupid and classless.

Hey, so is telling a recruit that all he'll do is pump gas in-state if he stays in-state, but that doesn't mean that coaches will try... and the evidence suggests that the threat of USC penalties for lack of control has influenced recruits already.

G8trGr8t
7/30/2009, 03:31 PM
I am hoping and praying that Ronald Powell is reading more and more of this and ends up at UF. Getting him out of California and having him do well and get showcased in another conference would help to crack that market wide open.

badger
7/30/2009, 03:31 PM
I am hoping and praying that Ronald Powell is reading more and more of this and ends up at UF. Getting him out of California and having him do well and get showcased in another conference would help to crack that market wide open.

Heh... how's Moody doing after that USC transfer? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

G8trGr8t
7/30/2009, 03:40 PM
7.2 yards per carry, 1 SEC Champ ring, 1 National Championship Ring

Better than most are doing, I would say.

Hopefully he gets more carries this year if he can stay healthy.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/30/2009, 04:10 PM
Hey, so is telling a recruit that all he'll do is pump gas in-state if he stays in-state, but that doesn't mean that coaches will try... and the evidence suggests that the threat of USC penalties for lack of control has influenced recruits already.

But they are smart enough to know this without having to be told.

NormanPride
7/30/2009, 04:19 PM

Typical gator. Stats before substance. :D

CBUS_SOONER
7/30/2009, 04:26 PM
Like anything is going to happen to USC. They are above the rules.

Next.

I agree... Nothing will happen to U$C. Just like the O$U. Its pretty bad when players admitt to the violations and the NCAA still doesn't nail them.

badger
7/30/2009, 04:41 PM

I'm surprised he didn't post his SEC speedy 40 yard dash time... but regardless, it would be more impressive to have 7.2 yards per carry if he had more than one touchdown and at least one reception... but hey, I know that your QB isn't known for throwing.

Has stats would also be more impressive if a quarter of his season's yards didn't come against the Citadel.

His SEC Championship ring might mean more if he had more than 23 measly yards. His national championship ring might mean more if he had more than zero even-more-measly yards.

But hey, don't let stats get in the way of a good argument... and my argument is that the only way Moody can get on the cover of SI is if he's in an SC uniform :D

rainiersooner
7/30/2009, 04:55 PM
A spokesman for Carroll and USC Athletic Director Mike Garrett said both were on vacation and unavailable.

That's strange, I just listened to an interview with Carol on a Seattle sports station covering PAC-10 Media Days.

Statalyzer
7/30/2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.treehugger.com/2008-01-23_093749-TreeHugger-glass-house.jpg

yermom
7/30/2009, 05:21 PM
you are declining to comment because you don't want to damage your glass house? ;)

NormanPride
7/30/2009, 05:23 PM
Did our time. How's that business with Kindle shaking out? Is mack going to slap him with the wet noodle before or after he plays Rice?

Statalyzer
7/30/2009, 05:26 PM
How's that business with Kindle shaking out?

Because that situation is relevant to cheating taking place in athletic departments.

NormanPride
7/30/2009, 05:33 PM
Because that situation is relevant to cheating taking place in athletic departments.

Well, y'see, Reggie got a house, and Sergie hit a house.

SoonerInFortSmith
7/30/2009, 08:00 PM
http://www.treehugger.com/2008-01-23_093749-TreeHugger-glass-house.jpg

I'll throw a stone. I haven't cheated the NCAA for ****! USC sucks and they need to get the hammer dropped on them for the crap they have done.

And as for OU, players that cheat the system get kicked to the curb.
USC and tOSU players that cheat just go directly to the NFL after they finish the season in which the violations occurred.
And longwhorns who cheat (i.e. break the law) get a stern talking to.
Go ahead Lid, bust in with your garbage.

SoonerKnight
7/30/2009, 11:27 PM
Sergio could do all kinds of damage to that house.

SoonerStormchaser
7/31/2009, 01:02 AM
And as for OU, players that cheat the system get kicked to the curb.
USC and tOSU players that cheat just go directly to the NFL after they finish the season in which the violations occurred.

You failed to mention that tOSU players sometimes get a Heisman trophy after they cheat. But then they get exposed on national TV in the MNC game.

GKeeper316
8/2/2009, 06:19 PM
Scandal after scandal, when will hammer fall on Trojans?

July 30, 2009
By Dennis Dodd
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

LOS ANGELES -- It's been since 2005 that Reggie Bush played at USC.

More than three years since Yahoo! Sports blew the roof off the sucker with the report that Bush accepted cash and benefits worth $300,000 from some would-be agents.

Fifteen months since an investigation of basketball star O.J. Mayo was made public.

Two-and-half months since it was reported the basketball coach slipped Mayo $1,000.

Fifty days since that alleged greaser of the palm, Tim Floyd, resigned.

Admit it, when you heard Thursday that the football program had perhaps committed an NCAA violation in the midst of all this, you were floored.

You had to be. This can't be happening again, can it? The Los Angeles Times reported that Pete Carroll might have violated rules by using former NFL assistant Pete Rodriguez as a consultant.

Carroll, speaking at the Pac-10 media days on Thursday, said the issue was cleared through the compliance department and was not a violation.

That's a relief. Would this be the same compliance department that passed Mayo and his entourage through the hallowed gates of USC? Was that the compliance department that slept while receiver DeWayne Jarrett literally slept -- in an apartment he shared with Matt Leinart that was partially paid for by Leinart's dad?

Or maybe we're being too harsh on the compliance folks as they pass through this mushrooming mess. All they're supposed to do is their jobs -- keep watch on the athletic department and make sure no one breaks NCAA rules.

But they have a boss, too.

If you want accountability, try asking AD Mike Garrett what's up. You can try, but the closest you'll get to him is a taped statement from early June. That's how Garrett reacted when he was criticized recently for not being proactive in the investigations.

"We have no idea how long these investigations are going to continue," senior vice president for administration Todd Dickey said last month.

That's all we have 39 months after Yahoo broke the Bush story. Now the FBI is involved along with the NCAA and Pac-10. The football and basketball cases have been bundled making a lack of institutional control finding more likely.

Meanwhile, Troy is burning. It is starting to look like Oklahoma in the 80s or Alabama anytime. Message boards are filled with a fundamental question: When is USC going to be punished?

"Has it been only three years?" Carroll said of the Bush investigation. "It's been a long time."

Actually, it seems like it is approaching some sort of record for NCAA investigation longevity. Or maybe there is so much dirt that the association needs time to process all of it. There's still a lawsuit hanging over Bush. The key subjects -- Bush and Mayo -- aren't compelled to talk. What's most likely to happen is the NCAA is waiting for some courtroom or another to spew forth the gory details.

While the clock ticks, there is a wide perception that USC is getting some kind of preferential treatment. There's some messy stuff here. If it is found that Bush competed while ineligible, the Heisman and BCS folks might have to start thinking about taking back some hardware.

"He's a player who is just out there playing the game," Stanford running back Toby Gerhart said at the media days. "OK, he took the money but I wouldn't be like, 'He can't play. We're going to protest this game.'"

Bush is admired by many, not just Gerhart. There is the question of how all this would impact his legacy as well as his coach's. Even after the loss of eight NFL Draft picks Carroll is favored to go to his eighth consecutive BCS bowl. At that rate, you wonder who is going to get the Trojans first, the NCAA's investigative team or a Pac-10 team.

"[Bush took] $300,000 and he feels no ramifications?" Arizona State linebacker Mike Nixon said at the media day. "It's like steroids in baseball. You do it until you get caught."

Nixon knows a little something about accountability, maturity and both sports. He spent four years in the minors and will be 26 when the season kicks off in September.

"I think they should treat it like they would at any other school," he said.

At the least, compliance has done a horrible job of overseeing football. Garrett is perceived as one of the emptiest suits in big-time college sports. He got lucky in hiring Carroll nine years ago. Mike Bellotti, Dennis Erickson and Mike Riley rejected overtures. Carroll was a third or fourth choice.

It worked, gloriously, but look where Tim Floyd got him. Kevin O'Neill, Floyd's replacement, was praised by Garrett for being "available."

That's going to look good in the press guide. Kevin O'Neill, one of the most available coaches in college basketball, comes to USC to rebuild the tradition ...

When you're stuck in investigative traffic like this, you don't wait for the light to change. You hold a come-to-Jesus meeting with the entire athletic department twice a week reminding everyone to stay clean.

You plead. You scream. You yell. You threaten coaches with their jobs if there is one more transgression. You don't put out videos that are archived on YouTube.

The Rodriguez thing looks to be minor, a secondary violation at worst. A person with knowledge of the NCAA process told CBSSports.com that the severity of any possible violation will be determined, in part, by who knew, who approved it and how long Rodriguez worked with the team.

The same person said, considering USC is already under investigation, this incident could give the NCAA reason to look deeper into the program for a pattern of violations.

"The Reggie Bush stuff is really not topical," Carroll said Thursday. "We don't hear anything about it. We did all our contributing a long, long time ago."

How long as it been for USC? Long enough for the Trojans to lose twice to Oregon State. Long enough for the Pac-10 to change commissioners and still be dealing with it. Larry Scott took over for Tom Hansen at the beginning of the month.

"I'm inheriting something that's in progress," Scott said.

Way in progress.

OU_Sooners75
8/2/2009, 09:32 PM
I think that's just stupid and classless. Recruits know what's going on. I think it would insult their intelligence to suggest, "hey, you know you should choose Oklahoma because USC is going to get the death penalty". The recruit obviously likes the school regardless.
It's like *Mack*y saying "Whose house is bigger? Mine or Bob Stoops?" :texan:

Not all recruits are as aware of it as you may want to believe.

Yes, the ones that follows cfb more indepth probably do.

With that said, to recruit players you have to be a good salesperson. And you use anything and everything you can in your arsenal to woo that player to your team.

If that means bringing up the fact that USC has lost institutional control, and whenever the NCAA finally lays the hammer down...it does wonders in changing the recruits initial commitment.