PDA

View Full Version : If you guys were looking to have a good..

adoniijahsooner
7/29/2009, 07:58 AM
day; then do not read this Sam Bradford article.

http://draftzoo.com/2009/04/five-most-overrated-prospects-for-2010/

It’s way too early to start looking at the 2010 NFL Draft. I mean Mel Kiper is only on his 56th bottle of hairspray in 2009, and Keyshawn Johnson is still employed by ESPN. So you know the year is fairly fresh. But that won’t stop guys like me from looking ahead. And worse, it won’t stop a lot of guys from cranking up the hype machine on kids in their early 20s who still have an entire season to avoid injuries and major meltdowns.

Remember this time last year, when everyone said that guys like Demetrius Byrd, Fili Moala, and Michael Johnson would be top 30 picks? I know I do. So this time around, I’m going the other way. I’m looking at the guys who are sitting atop the mock drafts at the wrong time. These are the guys who will be scrutinized from now until next April under a microscope strong enough to find talent in Courtney Love. That’s a powerful lens. Unfortunately, I’ve got a feeling that even Ms. Love herself might have a better chance of making an impact on an NFL team than these five frontrunners. Okay, that’s not true. She’s horrible. Just read the article.

Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

Sorry if this is somehow big news to everyone, but Sam Bradford is already overrated. The sweat is still wet under Todd McShay’s arms and already people are beginning to swoon over Bradford. “Look at those stats,” “He’s pretty tall,” “Have you seen how accurate he is?” “That’s what Van Wilder would look like if he played football.” Quotes like that are dominating the NFL Draft community. Of course, even those aren’t as bad as the absolutely ridiculous suggestion that he would have been selected first overall this year.

My guess? He won’t be selected first overall next year either. At least, he shouldn’t be. Too bad you can’t rule anything out now that Eric Mangini may be picking first overall.

But, anyway, back to Bradford. He’s not a bad quarterback. In fact, as far as collegiate quarterbacks go, he’s one of the best in the biz. But take a quick look at some recent history. The last three successful Oklahoma passers that headed for the NFL were absolutely awful as pros. Josh Heupel? Awful. Nate Hybl? Awful. Jason White? Really awful. And White has the most comparable statistics. Sure, none of these guys are as good as Bradford, but that’s not a good sign. Coming from a spread program is one thing. Coming from a spread program that has produced quite a few NFL flops is another.

Then there’s his “unbelievable accuracy.” I’m not buying it. With the kind of time Bradford had in the pocket last year, Van Wilder probably could have put up similar stats. Hell, Taj might have had a decent season behind that wall. Bradford did take advantage of the safety he was afforded, however. A 50-8 touchdown-to-interception ratio is nothing to scoff at, but it’s important to delve a little deeper. It’s indisputable that the Big 12 defenses took the season off. They were pathetic. 11 SEC teams were ranked higher in total defense than the best Big 12 squad. And that lone club that actually attempted to stop someone in the southwest? Texas. That’s right. The only team to beat Sam Bradford during the regular season is the only conference team that managed to land in the top 70 among all FBS schools in stopping the opponent. Bradford tossed two picks in that loss. Probably because the Longhorns actually applied some pressure.

In fact, six of his eight picks came against teams with a defensive pulse. Against Cincinnati Bradford tossed another duo of turnovers. Sure, the Bearcats saw three members of their secondary plucked by NFL squads last weekend, but they weren’t exactly the cream of the crop. And true, Connor Barwin was a second-rounder as a defensive end, but you can’t tell me there won’t be better defenses in the NFL.

The kind of guys he’ll be going up against are players a lot like Brian Orakpo. You know, the guy who sacked Sam twice while making six stops and harassing the OU QB all day. Except they’ll be bigger, faster, and more skilled. More like the guys who played for Florida’s defense. That’s the defense that gave Bradford his third multiple interception game of the year. The defense that held “the best offense ever” to 14 points. The defense that held “the greatest deep ball passer” in the world to a long toss of 25 yards.

Which brings up my next point. Bradford struggles under pressure. He’s not a statue, and I’ve seen him avoid pressure on the rare occasion that someone made it past his amazing line. But his pocket awareness has been severly stunted. He’s never shown much of an ability to feel the impending doom and get out of the way on a consistent basis. Sure, he hasn’t faced many situations that would force him to do so, but you learn by doing. It’s a bit of a stretch, I know, but Bradford’s great protection in college could work against him. If he gets drafted as highly as expected, it will likely be by a team that lacks the talent to effectively keep him upright. That slight frame is going to get pounded.

Then there’s the fact that a vast majority of his college career has come in the shotgun. That’s not damning on it’s own, but when you look at how talented his O line was, and the fact that he had added seconds to survey the field, it makes you wonder how well he’ll do when he has to backhand the center’s rear. He’ll have less time. He’ll be backpedaling quicker while making his reads. He’ll be forced to see the field from a different angle. And most importantly, he’ll have less precious time to loft the ball to a receiver who’s already in his third cut. Transitioning from catching the ball three to five yards behind the line and grabbing it mere feet from a defensive tackle is no simple task. NFL defenders will be giving him the “tough love bear hug” slightly quicker than the world-beaters he faced against Washington (his best game) or Texas Tech (probably his second best). He just doesn’t have the frame or the awareness to stand in there and pull a Roethlisberger.

And finally, there’s his reputation as an accurate deep ball slinger. How hard is it to throw a pretty pass when there’s no pressure? How hard is it to fit the ball into a tight space when there’s not much on the line. When you get right down to it, Bradford was on the losing end of the two biggest games of his 2008 season. Everyone wants to bash Tim Tebow for his accuracy, but his completion percentages were pretty darn close to Bradford’s. Not to mention the fact that 60% of Oklahoma’s receiving yards came after the catch. That doesn’t exactly exault Bradford’s passing prowess if you ask me. He benefitted from the play of his receivers on an unfairly underreported level. And the guy everyone loves to dog on — Tim Tebow — only got 42% of his yards from Percy Harvin and co.

So, my apologies to the Sam Bradford fan club. I don’t doubt he’ll be drafted highly, but he won’t be worth it. He’s a first-round talent, but he’s not Peyton Manning. In fact, he’s not even close. You’ll see. He’s the most overrated prospect in the new crop of future rookies. Of course, that could simply make him a lock to go number one overall.

adoniijahsooner
7/29/2009, 08:00 AM
Darn my bad, didnt see how old this thing was;My fist time seeing it though.

BermudaSooner
7/29/2009, 08:09 AM
I love these guys that say it is a negative to have YAC. To me it means that he is so accurate with the ball that the receiver can make significant extra yards. If the receiver has to jump or dive for the ball, no YAC. If the ball is thrown into tight coverage, no YAC. And by the way, the dude looks big this year--not really a "slight frame."

BornandBred
7/29/2009, 08:20 AM
This guy's breath must smell like **** cause he's talking out of his ***. I hope Sammy glues this in his locker.

soonerfan28
7/29/2009, 08:22 AM
At least he waited until the end of that crap to show his true colors. The dude obviously has a crush on Tebow.

Boomer Mooner
7/29/2009, 08:44 AM
"And the guy everyone loves to dog on — The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah — ..."

I must have missed the guy that said Tebow's **** doesn't smell like roses. The guy that wrote this is article is a doosh, but he won because we're here discussing his dumas article.

adoniijahsooner
7/29/2009, 08:52 AM
"And the guy everyone loves to dog on — The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah — ..."

I must have missed the guy that said The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah's **** doesn't smell like roses. The guy that wrote this is article is a doosh, but he won because we're here discussing his dumas article.

The dushes will always lose; this is a dush awareness thread; sort of a what not to dush self help program.:D

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2009, 08:53 AM
one thing is for sure...with this young O-line, he'll have a chance to show how much is him and how much was the protection he had

sooner518
7/29/2009, 09:09 AM
his "multi-interception games" were not really. His 2nd INT against UT was on a hailmary on the last play of the game (or first half. Cant remember which). One of his INTs against UF was a ball that was perfectly thown but Iggy alligator-armed it and the UF safety out-fought him for it. It's fine that this guy doesnt like Sam, but using "evidence" like this just makes him look stupid to anyone who actually watched the games.

BornandBred
7/29/2009, 09:24 AM
his "multi-interception games" were not really. His 2nd INT against UT was on a hailmary on the last play of the game (or first half. Cant remember which). One of his INTs against UF was a ball that was perfectly thown but Iggy alligator-armed it and the UF safety out-fought him for it. It's fine that this guy doesnt like Sam, but using "evidence" like this just makes him look stupid to anyone who actually watched the games.

I'd like to see how many of Sammy's picks were actually his fault. I remember one, either Baylor or Cinn, where it bounced off the receiver and landed on the fallen down DB.

I know at the beginning of last year that I was one of those saying he'd have a sophomore slump, glad I was wrong, because it was his receivers that made him look good. Well, after last season, I FIRMLY believe that it is HE that makes his receivers look good.

JLEW1818
7/29/2009, 10:33 AM
i cant trust any "zoo" websites

NormanPride
7/29/2009, 10:34 AM
I always hear that we're a spread team... Is that even true anymore? We mostly run our of Ace or I sets now to keep TEs and FBs in the game for run blocking. The spread was mainly reserved for 3rd down...

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2009, 10:35 AM
OU is not considered a spread team...I don't think..

I guess the definition of a spread offense or not is that you run it 75 % of the time

JLEW1818
7/29/2009, 10:37 AM
its funny... we are like the only team ever, to have a 4000+ yard passer, two 1000+ yard backs, and a 1000+ yard WR

(Gresham had 950 yards, 50 more and he would have a 1000 for a TE too)

thats just sick!

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2009, 10:38 AM
from ESPN.com

Who runs the spread offense?Comment Email Print Share ESPN.com

The spread offense is seemingly reaching new heights each season. Below is a list of schools that run the spread or a version of the spread at least 75 percent of time.

ACC
Clemson: Spread
Georgia Tech: Triple-option spread
Virginia: Spread

Big 12
Baylor: Spread passing offense
Iowa State: Spread passing offense
Kansas: Spread passing offense
Missouri: Spread passing offense
Oklahoma State: Spread passing offense
*Texas*: Spread passing offense
*Texas* Tech: Air Raid passing offense

Big East
Cincinnati: Spread
South Florida: Spread
West Virginia: Spread option

Big Ten
Illinois: Multiple spread
Indiana: Multiple spread
Michigan: Spread option
Northwestern: Multiple spread
Penn State: Spread HD
Purdue: Shotgun spread

Conference USA
Houston: Spread
Memphis: Spread
SMU: Run and shoot
Southern Miss: Spread
Tulsa: Spread

MAC
Akron: Spread/Multiple
Central Michigan: Spread
Kent State: Spread
Toledo: Spread

Mountain West
BYU: Spread
UNLV: Spread
Utah: Spread
Wyoming: Spread

Pac-10
Arizona: Air Raid passing offense
Oregon: Spread option

SEC
Auburn: Multiple spread
Florida: Spread option
Mississippi State: Spread option
Vanderbilt: Multiple spread

Sun Belt
Arkansas State: Spread option
Louisiana-Lafayette: Spread option
Louisiana-Monroe: Spread option
Middle Tennessee: Spread pass
North *Texas*: Spread pass
Troy: Spread pass
WKU: Spread option

WAC
Hawaii: Run and shoot
Nevada: Pistol
Utah State: Spread

Salt City Sooner
7/29/2009, 11:18 AM
But, anyway, back to Manning. He’s not a bad quarterback. In fact, as far as collegiate quarterbacks go, he’s one of the best in the biz. But take a quick look at some recent history. The last three successful Tennessee passers that headed for the NFL were absolutely awful as pros. Jerry Colquitt? Awful. Heath Shuler? Awful. Jeff Francis? Really awful. And Shuler has the most comparable statistics. Sure, none of these guys are as good as Manning, but that’s not a good sign.

I like this game.

cheezyq
7/29/2009, 02:15 PM
OU is not considered a spread team...I don't think..

I guess the definition of a spread offense or not is that you run it 75 % of the time

Unfortunately we are a spread, when it matters. Last year, we had lots of great formations throughout the season. But the time that we needed to mix it up the most, the national championship, we went nearly exclusively with the shotgun spread.

cheezyq
7/29/2009, 02:17 PM
I like this game.

Very nice. I was thinking the same thing, but you summed it up beautifully.

goingoneight
7/29/2009, 02:49 PM
Point #1: Sam had 5TDs against Cincinnati. Neither of the two INTs were his fault.
Point #2: Same as point #1... remove "Cincinnati," insert "Texas."
Point #3: Sam doesn't run a spread offense.
Point #4: Tim Teb0w DOES run a spread... AKA... "gimmick" offense.
Point #5: Sam's a better QB than Stafford... and where did Stafford go again?
Point #6: You aren't an "awful" NFL player if you never played, injuries forced an early retirement or you were never even invited to a tryout to begin with.
Point #7: How awesome have the last three hotshot SEC/Florida QBs fared in the NFL?
Point #8: The NFL defenses are indeed better than the SEC defenses, regardless of how much better it is you *think* SEC defenses are than BIG 12 defenses. It's college to pro... get it?
Point #9: Cart McCoy is the only sure NFL guy at this point if you're talking the 2010 NFL draft. Where's the biased, poorly-researched article on him?
Point #10: "... cocaine is a helluva drug."

OKC-SLC
7/29/2009, 03:04 PM
I'm not an expert, but I do think that a large portion of what we ran this past year was spread-esque.

But was what we ran with JW and AD a spread? Seriously?

JLEW1818
7/29/2009, 03:52 PM
Sam = Manning

Both football smarts

we already saw what Sam could do with a good OLine

soonerfan28
7/29/2009, 03:52 PM
It's hard not to be a spread team when you've got a TE that can split out and create mismatches.

soonerinabilene
7/29/2009, 06:16 PM
The last three successful Oklahoma passers that headed for the NFL were absolutely awful as pros. Josh Heupel? Awful. Nate Hybl? Awful. Jason White? Really awful.
Josh Heupel- Was never even considered to be NFL material, and was drafted by the Dolphins really late based soley on his intangibles.
Nate Hybl- Strong arm, but again was never even considered to be NFL material.
Jason White- 2 good knees and he would have been a Pro Bowl QB. Was not considered to be an NFL prospect because of those knees.

This guy is talking as if these guys were busts in the nfl, and because they were busts, Sam will be a bust. In order to be a bust, dont you first have to be considered a good to great prospect?

Curly Bill
7/29/2009, 06:17 PM
Yup, apples and oranges.

rainiersooner
7/29/2009, 07:11 PM
Point #6: You aren't an "awful" NFL player if you never played, injuries forced an early retirement or you were never even invited to a tryout to begin with.

No doubt - I would actually argue that White, in particular, was not an NFL bust, because his knees were so jacked up that no one thought he would make a roster to begin with. Very specious arguments by this guy. Oh well.

LRoss
7/29/2009, 07:30 PM
What a terrible article. You've all made many good points, so may I simply add these:

It's easy to be right a lot when you're making bold predictions about college qb's not turning into Peyton Mannings. Replace "Bradford" with any other college qb and write the same article. Guess what? Not very many people turn out to be the greatest of their generation. Way to go out on a limb.

Also, do other qb's play against NFL defenses in college? Really?

Terrible article. He can think Bradford's overrated, that's fine. But do better than that.

JiuJitsuSooner
7/29/2009, 09:20 PM
haters