PDA

View Full Version : Really good article about Bradford and Tebow

Collier11
7/28/2009, 08:39 PM
Bradford: The other Heisman guy
By Jason King, Yahoo! Sports

IRVING, Texas – Earlier this year, quarterback Sam Bradford passed up an NFL contract worth about $40 million so he could return to Oklahoma and attempt to win a national championship.

Granted, Bradford’s decision wasn’t made while performing circumcisions in the Philippines, but that still makes him a pretty good story.

Bradford didn’t visit any prisons this summer to give lectures about religion, but as an active member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes, he spoke about his beliefs to several church groups in the Oklahoma City area.

That’s admirable.

Isn’t it?

The collective foaming of the mouth about Bradford hasn’t been big enough to warrant questions about his sex life, so he isn’t hearing praise about his decision to abstain from intercourse until marriage.

Instead, Florida’s Tim Tebow is the quarterback sunbathing under that microscope, which is fine with Bradford.

“To me,” Bradford said Tuesday, “that’s crossing the line.”

Bradford’s right. The media has crossed the line. Not just with the sex questions, but with this entire Tebow lovefest that, frankly, is becoming so over-the-top that the people rooting for Tebow to fail might outnumber the ones hoping for him to succeed.

It’s sad, but Tim Tebow is becoming the Tyler Hansbrough of college football. There are zillions of reasons why you should love him, but instead we continue to force the opposite reaction by molding him into this annoying, holier-than-thou figure that’s impervious to imperfection.

It’s annoying and it’s irresponsible.

Television announcers activate viewers’ gag reflexes and force them to hit the mute button by saying their “lives are better” because they spent five minutes with Tim Tebow. Lee Corso embarrasses himself in front of a national audience by fawning over Tebow during an interview with his parents. Sportswriters who have apparently never heard of Tommie Frazier, Sammy Baugh, Davey O’Brien, John Elway or Roger Staubach suggest that Tebow is the best quarterback in the history of college football.

It’s outlandish.

Tebow isn’t the best quarterback in the history of college football. Shoot, he wasn’t the best quarterback last season. Sam Bradford was – and he will be this year, too.

Bradford won the Heisman Trophy in 2008 and – just as he would’ve been last spring – will likely be the first player taken in the 2010 NFL draft. But when the preseason All-Big 12 team was announced earlier this week, he was not a unanimous first-team selection.

Imagine that: The winner of the most prestigious award in college football comes back for another season and he isn’t even a unanimous first-team selection in his own league!

Instead of attempting to find out who cast the peculiar votes, writers at this week’s Big 12 Media Days did nothing.

But at last week’s SEC media gathering in Hoover, Ala., you would’ve thought the greatest injustice in the history of mankind occurred when one coach [South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier] failed to put Tebow on his first-team ballot. It was one of the top stories on television for two days, yet somehow no one mentioned that Mississippi’s Jevan Snead – the player on Spurrier’s ballot – actually beat Florida in 2008 and is projected to go higher than Tebow in next summer’s NFL draft.

That’s not to say that Snead deserved the nod over Tebow, but was the vote really outlandish enough to evoke such a firestorm?

The guess here is that Tebow is starting to get a little embarrassed by all of this. College football is fortunate to have a strong ambassador who relishes the chance to spread a positive message to fans. But Tebow probably realizes there are other “good guys” – and good quarterbacks – in college football, and that the constant gushing over him is causing their stories to be overshadowed.

Guys such as Texas’ Colt McCoy who, even with a pinched nerve in his shoulder, makes every Sunday church service in Austin. Guys such as Oklahoma State’s Zac Robinson, an active speaker with FCA, and Baylor’s Robert Griffin, who graduated No. 7 in his senior class.

Guys such as Bradford, who said he doesn’t envy Tebow or the attention he receives.

“I feel for him,” Bradford said. “He’s been in it a lot longer than I have. He’s been in the spotlight since high school. I couldn’t imagine having to deal with some of the things he’s had to deal with the past couple of years.”

Every now and then Bradford gets a dose of what Tebow’s life must feel like. He said he’s leery of going out in Norman because it’s so easy for people to snap pictures of him with their camera phones when he isn’t looking.

Recently he was having dinner with friends when a couple approached them and laid their newborn baby out across the table.

“They asked me to sign his [onesie],” Bradford said, chuckling. “It’s been different. It’s something I’ve had to get used to.

“If it was up to me, I’d be able to go somewhere and sit in the corner with a hat on and no one would notice me.”

Bradford paused.

“Not that I’m complaining,” he said. “The last three years have been three of the best years of my life. If I didn’t like it in Norman I wouldn’t have come back. I love being in Norman and I love being the quarterback. I’m basically living my dream right now.”

And the good news is that it’s still fun to watch him do it.

Boomer Mooner
7/28/2009, 08:44 PM
Nice!

SoonerDood
7/28/2009, 09:03 PM
You'll never hear something like that from SECSPN.

swardboy
7/28/2009, 09:24 PM
Interesting comment on the different reactions to the SEC/Big 12 QB votes.

fadada1
7/28/2009, 09:40 PM
at least someone else in the "media" is calling out the actions of some of his cohorts. i'm sure i'm not alone when espn simply mentions tebow, the channel is changed to something... ANYTHING else.

as for the voting for sec/BIG12 QBs, seems to me it's a sign that the sec is weak in that position. aside from tebow and snead, can anyone actually name an sec QB - without looking it up?

as much as i want the season to begin, i can live without the gameday start of the season special.

soonerchris
7/28/2009, 10:24 PM
So can we stop talking about tebow now?!? For the love of of the good Lord!! Please make it go away!! I'm glad sam is humble. I don't think he's trying to market himself the way that the tally wacker known as tebow is

Curly Bill
7/28/2009, 11:19 PM
I thought the Tebow & Hansbrough comparison was a good one.

BoulderSooner79
7/29/2009, 12:22 AM
Mods, is there any hope of turning off the Teabow -> The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah transmorgrifier? With all the print he will be getting, it's painful to expand his name to be even longer.

rainiersooner
7/29/2009, 01:04 AM
Great article. It made me think too...there will be a reckoning, because the media sets people up to see them fall. Timmy is probably a decent guy - and the media have made me loathe him, which is sad.

Q22
7/29/2009, 01:22 AM
yeah, esptim is getting pretty damn annoying. I'd almost rather listen to all that BS they spouted about usc back in 05 than listen to all this drivel that is on the channel(s) now.

AlbqSooner
7/29/2009, 06:07 AM
Mods, is there any hope of turning off the Teabow -> The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah transmorgrifier? With all the print he will be getting, it's painful to expand his name to be even longer.

^^^ This
It was cute for a time but that time has passed.

Hot Rod
7/29/2009, 07:30 AM
The Timmy talk won't die until after someone else wins the Heisman for this upcoming season.

adoniijahsooner
7/29/2009, 08:07 AM
I'm going on a self imposed gag order when it comes to Tea Tree Oil. For the upcoming season I will not even acknowledge he exists.

Collier11
7/29/2009, 09:31 AM
The Timmy talk won't die until after someone else wins the Heisman for this upcoming season.

wrong...if someone else wins it and he has a good season then we will have to hear how the greatest player of all time got robbed again like last yr even though he didnt even place 2nd, that was Colt Mccoy

badger
7/29/2009, 09:40 AM
I still think Florida will lose a few more games than people expect this upcoming season... when Tivo's losing, perhaps they'll find a new flavor-of-the-month to fawn over?

NormanPride
7/29/2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah, if he loses and looks bad, they'll drop him so fast his head will spin. Then we'll be annoyed by how much they fawn over Colt and Sam. It's sickening.

OUMallen
7/29/2009, 10:41 AM
It’s sad, but The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah is becoming the Tyler Hansbrough of college football.

COuldn't have said it better myself. And Sam Bradford is the Blake Griffin to Tebow's Hansborough.

Jacie
7/29/2009, 12:11 PM
The article is about Bradford and Tebow but here's an opportunity to say something for other eyes to read about another topic that should be dear to all.

Sam Bradford: "I love being in Norman . . ."

People unfamiliar with Norman, including recruits who come into town for the first time, often say things like there is nothing to do there. Yeah, it isn't Las Vegas, Orlando or San Diego. However, Norman is (or was) a college town (after my last visit a few years ago I have to amend that to the area adjacent to the campus, the old Norman). What that means is Norman is a great place to attend college and especially for athletes on scholarship there is plenty "to do" (assuming their sport and academics allow them some down time). Life there as a student is pretty good and Sam recognized that had he gone pro this year, his new address would be someplace far different than the shady confines of Norman, Oklahoma. I lived there 13 years and was sorry to leave it behind. I hope we haven't lost a prized recruit in any sport because they didn't think there was enough "to do" in Norman.

Knippz
7/29/2009, 06:13 PM
Television announcers activate viewers’ gag reflexes and force them to hit the mute button by saying their “lives are better” because they spent five minutes with The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah. Lee Corso embarrasses himself in front of a national audience by fawning over The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah during an interview with his parents. Sportswriters who have apparently never heard of Tommie Frazier, Sammy Baugh, Davey O’Brien, John Elway or Roger Staubach suggest that The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah is the best quarterback in the history of college football.

It’s outlandish.

The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah isn’t the best quarterback in the history of college football. Shoot, he wasn’t the best quarterback last season. Sam Bradford was – and he will be this year, too.

This helps ease the pain from last season. Good freakin' article!

SoonerKnight
7/29/2009, 07:25 PM
Can we just call him He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named???? ;)

soonerchris
7/29/2009, 07:55 PM
I 2nd that motion!

soonerchris
7/29/2009, 07:56 PM
Or tally wacker!

Collier11
7/29/2009, 08:15 PM
or super virgin quarterback

Dan Thompson
7/29/2009, 08:34 PM
Look how much disk space we used up on the server for this!

I am at fault, also and I will never do it again.

GKeeper316
7/29/2009, 08:40 PM
good read.

bluedogok
7/29/2009, 09:43 PM
I had heard they were going to rename it the Most Awesomest Timmy T. Football Trophy :D

Monster Zero
7/30/2009, 09:09 AM
"The guess here is that The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah is starting to get a little embarrassed by all of this. "

That's a wrong guess. Tebow believes his own legend.

Crucifax Autumn
7/30/2009, 03:14 PM
How about just "doosh"

Octavian
7/30/2009, 03:51 PM

+2

Octavian
7/30/2009, 03:53 PM
The guess here is that The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah is starting to get a little embarrassed by all of this.

disagree.

Timmy loves Timmy more than ESPN loves Timmy.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/30/2009, 04:37 PM
disagree.

Timmy loves Timmy more than ESPN loves Timmy.
This.

People who say, "don't hate the player (tim tebow), hate the game (ESPN/the media)" are stupid. The player loves the game. He feeds into the game. He has practically married the game.

RedstickSooner
7/30/2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah, if he loses and looks bad, they'll drop him so fast his head will spin. Then we'll be annoyed by how much they fawn over *Colt* and Sam. It's sickening.

Perfect world? Florida gets blown out by Vanderbilt (do they even play this season, I haven't paid attention) and some reporter finds Elbow sneaking a beer at half time.

Originally I typed "bear", which'd be an odd thing to sneak. I wonder what twisted shame my subconscious had in mind?

gatorpower
7/30/2009, 05:21 PM
This.

People who say, "don't hate the player (The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah), hate the game (ESPN/the media)" are stupid. The player loves the game. He feeds into the game. He has practically married the game.

Of course, I'm biased, but I do not see this at all. Tim's mentality is to make himself accessible to everyone. I'm sure you'll all love personal anecdotes and you'll take it however you want, but....

About 2 months ago, my family was visiting Gainesville and we just left a restaurant and saw Tim and his entire family in the parking lot, gathering their things to leave. We all just stood there, a group of eight of us, gawking about 30 feet away. My dad took out his cell phone and was setting to take a picture of Tim from that distance.

Tim's father saw this and waved our entire family over.

We spoke to him and his family for about 5-10 minutes, getting autographs, taking pictures and just talking about nothing. During the entire time, he was ALWAYS smiling, ALWAYS laughing. He never looked like he was looking at his clock or that he was annoyed. Maybe that makes him an attention whore in some people's minds, but I just think that makes him a really nice-'people' person.

I mean, there was NOTHING fake about how he talked to us, in his mannerisms or what he was saying. It was very natural, like he was this big kid who loved making people happy.

My dad profusely apologized for taking their time, but they were very cordial and acted like they were just normal people on their way to dinner. Tim even endured my sister showing him pictures of her pets on her ipod. Like 50+ pictures.

I went and bragged about it to my Gator booster friend who went on to tell me that's exactly how Tim is. Now I've met football players before, both in college and in the NFL and the none of them have been as easy-going and friendly as Tim. You read how he talks-the-talk and is not faking it; and I agree with that assessment 110%.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a Gator fan, but it does frustrate me to read people attacking him personally. It's not his fault when Dennis Dodd has nothing to write about or when Lee Corso has nothing to talk about. They're just people trying to sell advertising by generating hype around a person.

And what if he likes attention? He seems like he really likes being around people. Why don't actors in Hollywood, ABC, CBS, HBO..etc get the same vitriol directed at them for being on TV?

I never hear people say, "I hate Jim Carey, all he does is movies and do interviews on E! Online, what a headcase" :rolleyes:

Octavian
7/30/2009, 07:02 PM
hey, man....we've seen Brian Bosworth before

Timmy is just a neo-Boz except he wears the white hat and not the black hat. He knows the culturally correct things to say and he eats it up when he gets the glowing personal adoration he provokes.

Every once in a while (cell phone, Mel Kiper, Heisman ceremony, every game) he lets his guard down.

He's the anti-Boz Boz

GKeeper316
8/6/2009, 05:02 PM
This.

People who say, "don't hate the player (tim tebow), hate the game (ESPN/the media)" are stupid. The player loves the game. He feeds into the game. He has practically married the game.

not so much married as raped in a back alley.

OUTrumpet
8/6/2009, 05:17 PM
What needs to happen is what happened to OU in 2003. Tebow needs to get his butt handed to him and ESPN would be sick of him forever.

OUTrumpet
8/6/2009, 05:25 PM
We spoke to him and his family for about 5-10 minutes, getting autographs, taking pictures and just talking about nothing. During the entire time, he was ALWAYS smiling, ALWAYS laughing. He never looked like he was looking at his clock or that he was annoyed. Maybe that makes him an attention whore in some people's minds, but I just think that makes him a really nice-'people' person.

Did this make you a better person and increase your overall quality of life?

Collier11
8/6/2009, 05:43 PM
Of course, I'm biased, but I do not see this at all. Tim's mentality is to make himself accessible to everyone. I'm sure you'll all love personal anecdotes and you'll take it however you want, but....

About 2 months ago, my family was visiting Gainesville and we just left a restaurant and saw Tim and his entire family in the parking lot, gathering their things to leave. We all just stood there, a group of eight of us, gawking about 30 feet away. My dad took out his cell phone and was setting to take a picture of Tim from that distance.

Tim's father saw this and waved our entire family over.

I mean, there was NOTHING fake about how he talked to us, in his mannerisms or what he was saying. It was very natural, like he was this big kid who loved making people happy.

My dad profusely apologized for taking their time, but they were very cordial and acted like they were just normal people on their way to dinner. Tim even endured my sister showing him pictures of her pets on her ipod. Like 50+ pictures.

I went and bragged about it to my Gator booster friend who went on to tell me that's exactly how Tim is. Now I've met football players before, both in college and in the NFL and the none of them have been as easy-going and friendly as Tim. You read how he talks-the-talk and is not faking it; and I agree with that assessment 110%.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a Gator fan, but it does frustrate me to read people attacking him personally. It's not his fault when Dennis Dodd has nothing to write about or when Lee Corso has nothing to talk about. They're just people trying to sell advertising by generating hype around a person.

And what if he likes attention? He seems like he really likes being around people. Why don't actors in Hollywood, ABC, CBS, HBO..etc get the same vitriol directed at them for being on TV?

I never hear people say, "I hate Jim Carey, all he does is movies and do interviews on E! Online, what a headcase" :rolleyes:

you miss the point, what we get sick of is not only the over sensationalization (?) of his career(the guy is not even Top 10 all time, let alone #1 all time) but the fact that this good guy, good virtuous guy who is SOOO humble appears to enjoy the limelight a little more than he lets on. Im not saying he is fake, I believe he is a good guy and all but his head seems a little too big to me

Collier11
8/6/2009, 05:45 PM
its also the fact that we have a QB in Norman (oh my, we are bias) who is just as good of a college quarterback who gets a quarter of the national media exposure as your boy and Sam just won the friggin Heisman and could possibly set a ton of NCAA records this year