PDA

View Full Version : Winning the Big 12 diminished by Sooners' recent BCS losses?

JLEW1818
7/28/2009, 02:37 PM
July 28, 2009 3:16 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

IRVING, Texas -- Oklahoma has made history by becoming the first Big 12 program in history to claim three straight championships.

But Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and Sooner defensive tackle Gerald McCoy mentioned that the Sooners' recent BCS bowl game struggles have diminished some of the acclaim for the accomplishments of that historic run through the conference.

"They are discounting the fact that to be in the BCS bowl, you usually have to win the Big 12 championship," Stoops said. "We've won three in a row now and that's pretty special. You can consider and compare it to everybody else."

Stoops mentioned the Sooners winning the Big 12 championship in 2007 with a victory over then-No. 1 Missouri as an indication of the accomplishments.

"In the end, we played the No. 1 team in the country for the Big 12 championship, we won by 21 points and that game is no big deal," Stoops said. "Is that a bigger game than a BCS game? I'm asking you?

"That's a pretty special game when you have to beat the No. 1 team in the country and you win a trophy. To me, that's a big game."

The Sooners have lost five straight BCS bowl games, including shots at the national championship game against LSU in the 2004 Sugar Bowl, USC in the 2005 Orange Bowl and Florida in the BCS national championship game earlier this year.

Stoops has made history by winning six Big 12 titles during his 10-season coaching tenure at Oklahoma. No other Big 12 coach has won more than one title among the seven other championships in league history.

"Do you want to win a BCS game, yeah, we do. But when you are discounting Big 12 championship games, it's pretty foolish," Stoops said. "In the end, you tell me what's a bigger game. It isn't bigger than the national championship game, but it's a pretty darn special game. If you start putting that one in back of the other one, you aren't in that game without that first one."

McCoy grew up in Oklahoma City and is familiar with the expectations of Oklahoma fans. He said that some Sooners fans are discounting what the team has recently accomplished.

"Some fans say we haven't won a BCS bowl game or done anything," McCoy said. "But winning the Big 12 isn't easy. Everybody making a big deal about OU-Texas. But if you know Texas is so good, how come us not winning the Big 12 championship three years in a row isn't important?

"Texas is a great team and it's not easy to do [win the championship] when you have a team like that to compete against. But we're doing it. The only thing left is that we have to finish and complete the cycle. We win during the season, but we have to finish up and win at the end."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-11-114/Winning-the-Big-12-diminished-by-Sooners--recent-BCS-losses.html

JLEW1818
7/28/2009, 02:37 PM
good read... stuff we already know ... off-season... football is heating up!

soonermix
7/28/2009, 04:31 PM
i can discount those big 12 championships if we don't beat texas.
so you can kinda say we backed into some of those.

and yes what we have accomplished is very special... in the big 12

and i am not even saying we have to win every bcs game we ever play in i am at least realistic enough to say lets win 51%.
not 2 - (omg i lost count)

SoonerShay
7/28/2009, 04:55 PM
i can discount those big 12 championships if we don't beat *Texas*.
so you can kinda say we backed into some of those.

and yes what we have accomplished is very special... in the big 12

and i am not even saying we have to win every bcs game we ever play in i am at least realistic enough to say lets win 51%.
not 2 - (omg i lost count)

Your logic is perfect and sound!

OKC-SLC
7/28/2009, 06:00 PM
when the fock does 9/5 get here?

GKeeper316
7/28/2009, 06:28 PM
conference championships arent nearly as important as beating the cows and out of conference opponents. and i aint talkin utah state and north texas. win bowl games. thats what shows how dominant a program is nationally.

King Crimson
7/28/2009, 06:35 PM
Tim Griffin is a Texas honk. in addition to being a mediocre writer.

he might stand for the South, but he's all about the Texas fans for his readers.

no readers, no job. bump Texas teams, fans....readers, job.

JLEW1818
7/28/2009, 07:19 PM
I agree tho. A Big 12 Championship means more than a BCS runner up Bowl.... just ask Mack Brown which one he would want..... even Mack couldn't lie.

the_ouskull
7/29/2009, 07:09 PM
I think that winning the Big 12, even going through a #1 Missouri team against whom I'm fairly sure (but not positive) we were favored, has been diminished by our BCS losses...

the_ouskull

JLEW1818
7/29/2009, 08:06 PM
ya, Missouri wasn't favored

It was like OU -4 or something

soonerloyal
7/29/2009, 10:21 PM
conference championships arent nearly as important as beating the cows

Spoken like a fan with horn envy.

GKeeper316
7/29/2009, 11:16 PM
Spoken like a fan with horn envy.

bitch i been hatin texas since before you were born

Curly Bill
7/29/2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I don't see how just because someone would rather beat the w*horns* than anything else, that gives them whorn envy...:confused: