PDA

View Full Version : If we soiled the Rose Bowl...

OUTrumpet
7/28/2009, 01:17 PM
...as all the announcers were saying leading up to kick-off...what will they say about this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4359924

badger
7/28/2009, 01:29 PM
C'mon trumpet - you know football better than any of us and surely you recall who played in the Rose Bowl the year before we did?

http://i28.tinypic.com/1ragzk.jpg
;)

yermom
7/28/2009, 02:00 PM
hopefully this is a non-issue and USC can play Penn State/Ohio State on New Years day ;)

OUTrumpet
7/28/2009, 02:04 PM
hopefully this is a non-issue and USC can play Penn State/Ohio State on New Years day ;)

I just think it'd be funny to see TCU/Utah/Boise St/Hawaii there.

And knowing our luck if we make it to the MNC we'll play USC.

NormanPride
7/28/2009, 02:23 PM
How nice of them to open up their secret club to those weirdos that don't play football in BCS schools. We all know what this is, though. This is the Big 10's weak attempt at getting opponents that they might be able to beat.

"Maybe if we let teams like North Texas in, we can actually win a BCS game!"

JLEW1818
7/28/2009, 02:25 PM
fer real!!!

yermom
7/28/2009, 02:32 PM
the Big 10's problem lately has also been sending a 2nd Tier team there, like Illinois :rolleyes:

of course Michigan seems to have lost a lot of Rose Bowls lately too

yermom
7/28/2009, 02:35 PM
I just think it'd be funny to see TCU/Utah/Boise St/Hawaii there.

And knowing our luck if we make it to the MNC we'll play USC.

bring on USC. that would be a hell of a win if we pulled it off

bluedogok
7/28/2009, 09:22 PM
What was funny when the OU fans filled up the place and the Washington State fans had big holes in the crowd and the Rose Bowl officials upset that WSU didn't return the unsold tickets in time fearing the OU fans would buy them up.

Jacie
7/29/2009, 06:47 AM
In the BCS era, has the Pac 10 lost everytime a non-Big 10 school played in The Rose Bowl? It has happened twice, right? OU-Washington State and Texas-Michigan. You can understand why they are reluctant to letting another Big XII team play there.

There was a Rose Bowl with Miami-Nebraska but no Pac 10 schools were hurt or killed during that game . . .

badger
7/29/2009, 07:33 AM
In the BCS era, has the Pac 10 lost everytime a non-Big 10 school played in The Rose Bowl? It has happened twice, right? OU-Washington State and Texas-Michigan. You can understand why they are reluctant to letting another Big XII team play there.

There was a Rose Bowl with Miami-Nebraska but no Pac 10 schools were hurt or killed during that game . . .

I think you meant Texaz-usc :O

I think you could probably expand that to all of history, because the Rose Bowl has almost always been Pac 10-Big 10 and such, so really, there's only been a few years and they've been mostly all recent when different conferences invaded the bowl. You can check the entire history here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Bowl_Game)

There have only been four exceptions during the BCS eva to the Pac/Big 10 conference matchup - 2002 (Miami/Nebbish), 2003 (OU/Wazzu), 2005 (Texaz/Mich), 2006 (Texaz/usc). To get another exception to that, I think you have to go back to the 40s, when both Tennessee and Bammer played USC. Even Nebraska played in a Rose Bowl back in the 40s, heh.

SoonerDood
7/29/2009, 07:43 AM
When LSU was being projected to play there a few years ago I said, "If OU soiled the doorstep, those idiots will probably take a dump on the living room rug."

yermom
7/29/2009, 09:59 AM
I think you meant Texaz-usc :O

I think you could probably expand that to all of history, because the Rose Bowl has almost always been Pac 10-Big 10 and such, so really, there's only been a few years and they've been mostly all recent when different conferences invaded the bowl. You can check the entire history here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Bowl_Game)

There have only been four exceptions during the BCS eva to the Pac/Big 10 conference matchup - 2002 (Miami/Nebbish), 2003 (OU/Wazzu), 2005 (Texaz/Mich), 2006 (Texaz/usc). To get another exception to that, I think you have to go back to the 40s, when both Tennessee and Bammer played USC. Even Nebraska played in a Rose Bowl back in the 40s, heh.

when Texas played USC and Miami played Nebraska it was the championship game so they weren't whining about tradition

the weird thing about this is that now it seems like it's diluting the game more than just taking the best choice would

like in 2007 they took Illinois over Mizzou for some reason, but would now be forced to take Hawai'i

but that's only the Rose Bowl that has to do this? and starting next year? it seems it should be starting this year when they would get last pick anyway

badger
7/29/2009, 10:06 AM
like in 2007 they took Illinois over Mizzou for some reason, but would now be forced to take Hawai'i

inakrut. the orange bowl took kansas, so mizzou would have been ineligible for the rose bowl, as per bcs agreements that say no more than two teams per conference.

JLEW1818
7/29/2009, 10:49 AM
inakrut. the orange bowl took kansas, so mizzou would have been ineligible for the rose bowl, as per bcs agreements that say no more than two teams per conference.

yep