PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Pete gets booed at Falls Creek

ouwasp
7/25/2009, 08:09 PM
So I go down to visit my wife and kids on their last night at church camp Friday. At the evening service different awards are being announced, including best cooks. This contest was separated into 5 different categories, best side dish, best dessert, etc.

Before the winner of each category was announced, some sham judges were projected onto the screen. The Pillsbury doughboy and Gingerbread man and somebody else "judged" the desserts for instance...

Then Barry Switzer, somebody else, and Pistol Pete appeared onscreen. When the King was named a genuine roar of approval rose from the crowd of several thousand, 90% of whom weren't even born when Barry coached. I got a kick out of it and quickly wondered what the response to Pete would be. A couple seconds later: loud, distinct boos drowned out all but a few yelps from poke kids.

The announcer said "Wow. Pistol Pete's not getting any love from you all..." More boos and laughs.

Poke kid behind me poutily says, "Goll... that's just not right!"

:D

Ground_Attack
7/25/2009, 08:27 PM
I grew up about 5 miles from Falls Creek. That story makes me smile.

setem
7/25/2009, 09:16 PM
Ahhh the Baptist breeding grounds, I have fond memories of that place!

Sooner04
7/25/2009, 09:47 PM
Falls Creek: the young Baptist's first sexual experience.

Sooner-N-KS
7/25/2009, 10:43 PM
LOL.....I'm not a Baptist, but I did go to Falls Creek one year when I was in high school back in the mid 80's. Yup, the hormones were flying.

sooner59
7/25/2009, 11:02 PM
I grew up about 5 miles from Falls Creek. That story makes me smile.

Ground_Attack and I probably love this more than anyone given we are from Davis. I grew up about 2 miles from Falls Creek and I support this message.

A-M
7/26/2009, 11:32 AM
When I was in high school, I was a Baptist before I saw the ligfht and became a Mennonite and Falls Creek was the say when I went there in the early 60's. Only difference was that we sat in church and classes in the heat in an open-air setting. Since we all know that God is a sooner, why would Pistol Pete be welcomed at Falls Creek? Makes sense to me.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/26/2009, 11:43 AM
edit

falls creek is bad.

eom.

jumperstop
7/26/2009, 11:51 AM
Ahh church camp...where they tell you to practice a boring life of no premarital sex, no profanity, no booze, and basically no fun. I used to go to church until I realized that a lot of the people there are hipocrites. Don't get me wrong, they do teach good things there, and most people a genuine people, but places like Falls Creek are the prime example of hipocritical Christians. Now I go to the church of sleeping in on Sunday morning. While you guys are at church still, I'm getting an early start on SF posting.

fossil
7/26/2009, 02:02 PM
:confused: Somebody hep me! Are we talking about Pete Maravich here? Who the heck is Pistol Pete?

sooner59
7/26/2009, 02:28 PM
:confused: Somebody hep me! Are we talking about Pete Maravich here? Who the heck is Pistol Pete?

I think it is some sort of a gay cartoon character with a**less chaps.

setem
7/26/2009, 03:26 PM
I think it is some sort of a gay cartoon character with a**less chaps.

Aren't all chaps assless?

badger
7/26/2009, 04:01 PM

I think it's funny that this guy is scowling as if to say, "You mean ya don't know who I am?! Who I am?!"
http://admissions.okstate.edu/images/petemug_clr.jpg

SoonerInFortSmith
7/26/2009, 05:34 PM
I can't believe you guys don't know who Pistol Pete is! He's the mascot for the Wyoming Cowboys football team, duh!:D

XingTheRubicon
7/26/2009, 05:50 PM
It's not a scowl, it's m r

GKeeper316
7/26/2009, 06:41 PM
ya i think its hilarious to send thousands of horny hormone infused teenagers down to a "church camp" for a week with very little adult supervision. i aint even baptist and i went with a friend in high school and hooked up with 3 different girls ffs!

classof88
7/26/2009, 07:14 PM
actually ole pete looks like "william plainview" in that movie.

ouwapiti
7/26/2009, 08:12 PM
falls creek is still in operation ????........Holy Moly !!!!...if the baptists knew what all went on down there they woulda shut it down long ago !!!!but oh, the memories

sooner59
7/26/2009, 09:35 PM
falls creek is still in operation ????........Holy Moly !!!!...if the baptists knew what all went on down there they woulda shut it down long ago !!!!but oh, the memories

Yeah they just built a $30,000,000 tabernacle. Oh and I never attended the camp but I had permission to fish the lake and I saw condoms and all kinds of things behind some of those buildings. Oh, those crazy church kids....

pb4ou
7/26/2009, 10:38 PM
One year the church I went with had its cabin right by Make out mountain, if they still call it that. They did in the 80's at least.

picasso
7/26/2009, 10:49 PM
Falls Creek: the young Baptist's first sexual experience.

no doubt! and back in my day we had to wear jeans.

I had a sweet pair of leather Nike's stolen whilst swimming one year.

Also caught poison ivy ditching class.:D

Jacie
7/27/2009, 08:45 AM

Of course they know what goes on there. The people running things now went there when they were kids. Shut it down? It may be their best recruiting tool (no pun intended) to get teens to participate in church-sponsored activities.

soonerfan28
7/27/2009, 09:29 AM
There was more sex at church camps (and not just Falls Creek) then there was at most of the parties I went to in HS.

deweydw
7/27/2009, 12:45 PM
I went to Falls Creek in the mid 70's. Had some good times. Once our cabin was up on a very steep hill. If you forgot something. Just left it in the room. Would be interesting to see what it looks like now.

Seamus
7/27/2009, 01:11 PM
There was more sex at church camps (and not just Falls Creek) then there was at most of the parties I went to in HS.

Tell us about these ... um ... parties.

fossil
7/27/2009, 03:31 PM

:mad: Memories? I went to Falls Creek back in 1956 as a horny 12 year old. Camp Nunichahah it was, for good Baptist boys. My only memory is the camp song.......

Nunichahah, Nunichahah, fairest camp in east or west.
Nunichahah, Nunichahah, you're the camp we love the best.
We will always sing your praises, we will always boast your fame,
for our hearts beat high with pleasure when we hear that lovely name.

Girls? I never seen a girl the whole time I was there. Dadgummit!!!

markmcs
8/3/2009, 09:06 PM
I worked at Falls Creek this summer, and saw this happen 8 times (every single week). Each time James Lankford would get on stage, announce that the judges were the president of OBU, Pistol Pete, and King Barry, and Pistol Pete would get booed like crazy. And every time, James would say something along the lines of "Man, you guys have no love for the Cowboys!" Former Sooner Vince Carter also came to Falls Creek every week to promote Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the whole tabernacle would go crazy, except for like two random boos, probably from Texans. There were a lot of those running around the Creek this summer.

setem
8/3/2009, 09:25 PM
:mad: Memories? I went to Falls Creek back in 1956 as a horny 12 year old. Camp Nunichahah it was, for good Baptist boys. My only memory is the camp song.......

Camp Anawanna, we hold you in our hearts and when we think about you...IT MAKES ME WANNA FART! "It's I hope we never part...GET IT RIGHT!!!"

the_ouskull
8/4/2009, 04:22 PM
My Falls Creek stories would get this board shut down, much less that camp.

They KNOW what goes on, but if they don't keep their doors open, they don't get expensive, INDOOR (wtf? Falls Creek was about sweating and being pissed and being sleepy, all at the same time...) Tabernacles. So, turn the other way, and let the kids continue to do it.

the_ouskull

Animal Mother
8/6/2009, 05:02 PM
falls creek is still in operation ????........Holy Moly !!!!...if the baptists knew who all went on down there they woulda shut it down long ago !!!!but oh, the memories

FIXED

Bosley
8/6/2009, 05:46 PM
I played in a praise band there for 3 years in a row.

I was still pretty young and had not gone as a camper before. One year someone told me to bring a walky-talky (sp?) and turn it on after hours.

Some of the things I heard on that walky....some filthy kids out there.

goingoneight
8/6/2009, 06:50 PM
What a coincidence... he gets booed everywhere else, too!

OSUAggie
8/6/2009, 07:01 PM
So, all the psycho baptists are going to be Sooners.

Congrats!

the_ouskull
8/7/2009, 01:58 PM
Not necessarily. Just fans of good football. Or maybe they're prejudiced against the Burger King mascot in a more g*y outfit with a less cool hat. Either way, the real winners here are the kids...

the_ouskull

jkjsooner
8/9/2009, 01:16 PM
no doubt! and back in my day we had to wear jeans.

I had a sweet pair of leather Nike's stolen whilst swimming one year.

Also caught poison ivy ditching class.:D

Oh, the memories from the '80s. My church had an old abandoned cabin there. (We rented other cabins.) It was a perfect place to ditch class if you could handle the heat. It was also a great place to hook up - at least so I've been told.

jkjsooner
8/9/2009, 01:19 PM

I thought things were all Ozzie and Harriett back in the '50s. Are you telling me there were actually horny 12 year olds back then? My TV lies to me.