PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Restaurants

StoopTroup
7/25/2009, 05:29 PM
OK folks...there have been quite a number of Norman and OKC threads on restaurants. Lets see some input on good Tulsa places to eat. The Wife and I have seen quite a few of our favorites turn to places we will never go back to eat, so I'd like to see us Sooners put our heads together on this and help thin the search out.

yermom
7/25/2009, 05:34 PM
Mario's Pizza

Lanna Thai

Coney Islander

Burger Street

also Ted's and Chipotle :D

StoopTroup
7/25/2009, 05:41 PM
You can't just say Coney Islander without a specific location IMO.

You can't say Burger Street with any Location IMO...but if you like it...you have the right to express it.

I've heard Lanna Thai was good. Haven't tried Ted's or Chips.

Yermom...have ya tried Te Kei's?

Tulsa_Fireman
7/25/2009, 05:45 PM
The Green Onion is a helluva date night restaurant. The food ain't bad, either!

Me, I'm a sucker for mexican food. And Ted's is trash. I STILL have yet to understand the appeal of that sphincter.

So while not in Tulsa, but in the Tulsa metropolitan area, I present to you El Maguey in the home of the sand fleas, Sand Springs. Real mexicans. Real mexican food.

MR2-Sooner86
7/25/2009, 06:06 PM
Joe Momma's Pizza

Ike's Chili

Wings to Go

Ron's Hamburgers

ouwasp
7/25/2009, 08:40 PM
Coney Island on 41st, behind AMC 20

Diamond Jacks, THE best drip-beef sandwich

JohnnyMack
7/25/2009, 09:15 PM
Nelson's has reopened! It's down on 3rd just west of Utica. I went last week. It kicks gigantic balls.

In The Raw on brookside consistently cranks out a solid product.

I haven't been to DJs since it moved. I really need to swing by.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/25/2009, 10:18 PM
Has anyone been to Elmer's since they opened it back up?

I heard when the old man died, it went to sh*t. Never verified it, though.

King Crimson
7/25/2009, 10:35 PM
i think the only place i've ever eaten in Tulsa was Goldie's (the one on a hill)....my grandad used to always take me and my cousin there when we'd visit him and we'd drive to Tulsa for All-State football practices and play golf at LaFortune, Mohawk or Page Belcher. always goldie's. or pizza hut, he liked pizza hut too.

picasso
7/25/2009, 11:18 PM
i think the only place i've ever eaten in Tulsa was Goldie's (the one on a hill)....my grandad used to always take me and my cousin there when we'd visit him and we'd drive to Tulsa for All-State football practices and play golf at LaFortune, Mohawk or Page Belcher. always goldie's. or pizza hut, he liked pizza hut too.

ah man that sounds like good times at any age.

Depends on the criteria here. If we're talking high dollar then Doe's on Cherry Street is great for a steak (tamale appetizers). JM mentioned In The Raw but did you know they also have an incredible steak?

The wife and I love Mary's Italian on Cherry across from Jason's Deli. Hell, Tucci's is good too. I mention Cherry Street a lot because it's in my part of the town yo.

I don't discriminate with BBQ around here, we hit Rib Crib, Wilson's and Billy Ray's at times.

El Guapo's downtown is some good Mexican eats. And I do like the sour cream enchiladas at Chimi's. They also have excellent rice.

We like The Blue Dome Diner for breakfast. usually after church.

yermom
7/25/2009, 11:35 PM
You can't just say Coney Islander without a specific location IMO.

You can't say Burger Street with any Location IMO...but if you like it...you have the right to express it.

I've heard Lanna Thai was good. Haven't tried Ted's or Chips.

Yermom...have ya tried Te Kei's?

my cousin used to wait tables there. It's good, but I like other places better. Mostly a personal preference thing. I've been there a lot...

As for locations, Burger Street at 21st and Harvard and Coney Islander across from TU are the ones I normally go to anymore, but I haven't really noticed much of a difference

KC//CRIMSON
7/25/2009, 11:47 PM
There's only one Coney Island and it's downtown.

Williesan
7/26/2009, 12:05 AM
The Green Onion is a helluva date night restaurant. The food ain't bad, either!

Me, I'm a sucker for mexican food. And Ted's is trash. I STILL have yet to understand the appeal of that sphincter.

So while not in Tulsa, but in the Tulsa metropolitan area, I present to you El Maguey in the home of the sand fleas, Sand Springs. Real mexicans. Real mexican food.

The Green Onion's awesome - but I haven't been there since... <gulp> 1993. Need to get back over there soon.

We love our Mexican food too - El Rio Verde is our favorite, followed by El Guapo's. La Hacienda (45th and Peoria - thanks Johnny*Mack*!) is decent, but they've gone downhill a bit. We're thinking about hitting some of the taco carts around town. Urban Tulsa Weekly did a write-up on them last month - I've apperantly missed some good mobile Mexican out there.

BTW Fireman - if the El Maguey you speak of is the one behind the Bueno at Adams Road, then count me out. It succsSUCCS. We tried it shortly after we moved out here and... we'd rather drive into town to El Rio any day. No flavor, and terrible service (almost walked out on them.)

Joe Momma's is good pizza (especially now brick oven is "seasoned.") Get the Voodoo pie and a beer. YWIA.

Mary's is good Italian, but don't take the kids on the weekend. Amici's (just opened up at W 41st /113th W Ave (just W of Hwy 97)) gives Mary's a good run for their money, but has a fairly limited menu right now. Portions are huge - and for a good price.

Jim's Coney Island on Harvard (a.k.a. "Never On Sunday's") has good Greek food. Just started doing steaks 2-3 nights a week this spring. Coneys there aren't bad, but they're not Coney Islander.

Steaks - we're not a fan of the expensive places (Fleming's, Mohagony) but Eddy's on 31st East of Harvard is usually pretty good (they're even cleaning the place up a bit from what I've heard.) Hard to believe I lived a mile away from there, yet didn't eat there until I met my wife. Her dad's been eating there since Eddy himself was cooking the steaks back when they opened. Rarely do we get bad service, but Friday and Saturday nights can be bad unless you get ther early. Oh - and $18 plus tax for a Ribeye, cabbage roll, salad and all the hummus/tabouli and vegetables you can eat can't be beat.

Doe's is also good - just prepare to leave full, and don't forget the tamales.

I'm not a big bar person, but McNellie's is worth a visit.

BBQ - lots of places to choose from, but Albert G's on Harvard is excellent. They don't put sauce on the meat (a plus, IMHO) so you can taste the smoke flavoring. Knotty Pine is the closest to us that's not called "Rib Crib" and at best is hit and miss. Went there last night and the ribs were so dry and tough, the makers of Slim Jim would be proud. (Aside - I'm biased, but my own BBQ can give most of the shops a run for their money and have been told as much... but it's seasonal and I don't work on a schedule. So unless you're invited... :P :D

Williesan

tommieharris91
7/26/2009, 12:22 AM
Savastano's by the SpiritBank Event Center for the best pizza in town.

sooner ngintunr
7/26/2009, 12:34 AM

This.

That place is dog****. People wait over an hour to eat dinner there. I can't tell you how ****ty that place is, it makes Los Cabos look good.

I think that place makes Tulsans look like a bunch of ****ing dip****s.

Mario's pizza is the best I've had here.

Love Bonefish, I know its a chain, but that place is very good.

Still looking for good Mexican here, I think it may not exist. Tex Mex isn't good mexican. El guapos sucks.

Polo Grill is great for special occasions especially when your wifes preg, then you get to drink both complimentary glasses of champagne.

Mahogony is overpriced

Lanna Tai is great.

Thai Garden is great for lunch.

I'll add more when i'm more sober, or less drunk.

oumartin
7/26/2009, 12:44 AM
SONIC?
Wendys?

Okla-homey
7/26/2009, 08:13 AM
Best hamburger in Tulsey can be had at Kilkenny's on Cherry Street. IMHO.

Great Indian at, where else, India Palace. Still going strong after 15 years. And the service is superb.

Best pub grub? The White Lion.

Best massive pile of hot meat for big-eaters? Jamil's

Best home-style freshwater seafood? The Hungry Fisherman in Bixby.

Best mexican....

wait for it...

El Rio Verde
38 N Trenton Avenue,
Tulsa, OK 74120

It's a dump, and I wouldn't go there after dark, but, dayum! Muey excellente!

StoopTroup
7/26/2009, 01:08 PM
Homey....you beat me to it with Rio Verde. The "Wet Burrito" they make is teh awesome.

Same with Kilkenny's Burger. It's one of the thickest pub burgers that tastes good that I've ever had.

Ri Le at 91st and Yale has some great Vietnamese grub too.

Agreed that Green Onion is very good...the Sunday buffet has left me in a food coma before.

JohnnyMack
7/26/2009, 03:04 PM
There's only one Coney Island and it's downtown.

The "new" old Coney Island downtown is ok. It's no better than the Coney at Southroads, that's for sure.

StoopTroup
7/26/2009, 03:12 PM
Southroads is the closest to my hOUse. It is pretty good as far as Coney Islanders go....the Old one Downtown had a certain nostalgic feel to it before they had to relocate.

JohnnyMack
7/26/2009, 03:15 PM
Anyone who says Mahogany is overrated/overpriced is a maroon. I've eaten at steakhouses all across this country and can say with much Dean-like certainty that it's one of the best of its kind anywhere.

My wife, along with her mother and stepfather are all born and raised New Jerseyians. They will tell you that the Mario's at 51st and Harvard is the best place in town for NY style slices.

The answer to the best hamburger in town is Ron's. The specific answer is a Ron's sausage chili-cheeseburger served with spanish fries. Another great place to get a burger is at Bill's Jumbo Burgers at Utica and 244.

Albert G's is probably pound for pound the best BBQ in town. They have high quality meats, generous portions, terrific beans and they keep the place very clean. Elmer's and Wilson's used to be tops, but are clearly just trying to catch up to Albert G's at this point. Rib Crib is acceptable in a pinch.

The best Mexican and/or TexMex is tough. El Rio Verde is probably top 3 and I'll agree that La Hacienda has some good stuff on its menu (carnitas specifically) but can be an erratic place to visit. One place that's not bad is El Rancho Grande down at 11th and Utica.

Whoever said The Polo Grill is probably right when they said it's the best overall restaurant in town. It's atmosphere and price combined with a menu that has plenty of old favorites (tomato bisque soup) and is constantly unveiling new items takes the top spot in my opinion for dining.

badger
7/26/2009, 04:05 PM
For breakfast, I would have to recommend a nice, fairly inexpensive restaurant known as Mimi's Cafe, which is near 71st and Memorial by Woodland Hills Mall. It serves practically everything and is really nice. Oh and refilling your Coke? "Would you like a fresh Coke?" Fresh Coke. lol

For lunch, the best downtown place is Billy's, which is on the corner of (I think) 3rd and Boston (main?) It is a local joint that serves just about everything and only needs to be open three hours for lunch on weekdays. It is that good.

Dinner really depends on what you're hungry for, so I'll leave that to everyone else.

For desert, there's a Cheesecake Factory near 71st and Memorial. Only go there for the cake, not the food.

JohnnyMack
7/26/2009, 04:23 PM
^ Fail.

Tulsa only plzkthx.

KC//CRIMSON
7/26/2009, 04:34 PM
For Mexican I like El Tequila (I think that's what it's called.) And the last time I went to Jamils it was absolutely sucktacular. Awful.

Is St. Michaels Alley not still around? Their food was usually pretty damn good.

Okla-homey
7/26/2009, 04:41 PM
Is St. Michaels Alley not still around? Their food was usually pretty damn good.

still there. Under new mgt. Pretty smokey. Not very impressive.

KC//CRIMSON
7/26/2009, 04:47 PM
What about Tiamo's or The Silver Flame?

Williesan
7/26/2009, 05:13 PM
still there. Under new mgt. Pretty smokey. Not very impressive.

Rick's has taken over the old St. Michael's Alley place at 31st & Indianapolis. Unless they moved (which would be news to me), my wife has made a pretty good rendition of their white chili, so I can get my fill there. But I'm gonna miss my "Mike" fix when the weather turns cold. :(

Williesan

JohnnyMack
7/26/2009, 05:24 PM
What about Tiamo's or The Silver Flame?

Went to TiAmo about 3 or 4 months ago. Still pretty much the same but I did notice the portions seemed really small. Maybe I'm just getting fat.

JohnnyMack
7/26/2009, 05:26 PM
Rick's has taken over the old St. Michael's Alley place at 31st & Indianapolis. Unless they moved (which would be news to me), my wife has made a pretty good rendition of their white chili, so I can get my fill there. But I'm gonna miss my "Mike" fix when the weather turns cold. :(

Williesan

My dad and I hit up Rick's two weeks ago. Kind of downhill from what I remember it.

And my white chili totally pwns the st. Michaels stuff.

My Opinion Matters
7/26/2009, 05:28 PM
El Tequila and Compadre's are both pretty great Mexican places.

sooner ngintunr
7/26/2009, 06:15 PM
Anyone who says Mahogany is overrated/overpriced is a maroon. I've eaten at steakhouses all across this country and can say with much Dean-like certainty that it's one of the best of its kind anywhere.

I didn't say it wasn't good, just overpriced. I've eaten at steakhouses all across this country and can say with much Dean-like certainty that it's one of the more expensive of its kind anywhere.:D (Besides big city stuff)

50 bucks for a bone in filet and another 10 bucks for some OK asparagus.:confused: I guess I should have stayed away from the special. I also don't care for a la carte, and I know most great steakhouses are,I still don't care for it.

I ate for cheaper at the top of the world restaraunt in Vegas, the food and service were superior.

IMO the food at Polo Grill is every bit as good.

My backyard grill, even better.:D

Turd_Ferguson
7/26/2009, 06:57 PM
What is the soup de jour?
http://drinksoakedtrotsforwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/dumb-and-dumber.jpg

IB4OU2
7/27/2009, 08:52 AM
El Rio Verde has a great Torte also try the Chili Rellanos at Ricardos. Ko Koa at Utica square has the best chocolate deserts anywhere.

Boomer.....
7/27/2009, 09:51 AM
Fish Tacos at Fish Daddy's are amazing and can be split. Pair that with their $2.50 margaritas and you have an awesome meal.

Napoli's is great italian food with good prices and large portions.

Mahogany RMFO!

Los Cabos, El Guapo, Ted's, Compardres, El Agave etc. are all good messican food restaurants. One things that Tulsa doesn't have is a shortage of Mexican food.

My Opinion Matters
7/27/2009, 09:56 AM
The answer to the best hamburger in town is Ron's. The specific answer is a Ron's sausage chili-cheeseburger served with spanish fries. Another great place to get a burger is at Bill's Jumbo Burgers at Utica and 244.

Bill's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ron's.

JohnnyMack
7/27/2009, 10:07 AM
Bill's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ron's.

If we're comparing hamburger to hamburger than Bill's is probably better, I can agree with that.

However Ron's sausage chili-cheeseburger is clearly in a class all by itself.

Pricetag
7/27/2009, 10:26 AM
My theory on Ted's is that you get free queso. Granted, it tastes like the stuff you buy in the chip aisle at the store, but it is free. That has to be it.

My Opinion Matters
7/27/2009, 10:28 AM
If we're comparing hamburger to hamburger than Bill's is probably better, I can agree with that.

However Ron's sausage chili-cheeseburger is clearly in a class all by itself.

I've eaten at Ron's a few times, and personally, I don't understand the appeal. There's good greasy, disgusting food....and then there's Ron's. At least it's not offensively bland, generic, and over-priced like Red Robin though. Everytime I hear someone refer to those places as a good place to get a burger I weep for white middle class America.

JohnnyMack
7/27/2009, 10:30 AM
I've eaten at Ron's a few times, and personally, I don't understand the appeal.

So what you're saying is that you've never had a sausage chili-cheeseburger with spanish fries? Gotcha.

My Opinion Matters
7/27/2009, 10:31 AM
So what you're saying is that you've never had a sausage chili-cheeseburger with spanish fries? Gotcha.

Why do you hate my gallbladder?

OklahomaTuba
7/27/2009, 11:38 AM
Lucky's on Cherry St. has my vote for best up-scale casual place in town.

Redrock Canyon Grill for best Ribs in town.

Turd_Ferguson
7/27/2009, 12:00 PM
El Chico's FTW!

Turd_Ferguson
7/27/2009, 12:00 PM
Why do you hate my gallbladder?Just remove it like I did.

soonerinabilene
7/27/2009, 12:12 PM
My knowledge of Tulsa restaurants is limited to where my grandparents would take me to eat when i would come visit for the summer as a kid. So, with that said:
Mexican-Casa Bonita
American-Rex's Boneless Chicken
Chinese- The food court inside the Eastland Mall.

I do remember eating at Bourbon St about 15 years ago, and from what i remember it was really good.

JohnnyMack
7/27/2009, 12:13 PM
My knowledge of Tulsa restaurants is limited to where my grandparents would take me to eat when i would come visit for the summer as a kid. So, with that said:
Mexican-Casa Bonita
American-Rex's Boneless Chicken
Chinese- The food court inside the Eastland Mall.

I do remember eating at Bourbon St about 15 years ago, and from what i remember it was really good.

Casa Bonita - Tulsa County Health Department's Violator of the Year!
Rex's - Closed
Eastland Mall - Closed

Pricetag
7/27/2009, 12:16 PM
Camille's/Coney Beach claims to have the recipe for Rex chicken. It's pretty good, but I don't know if it is as good as Rex was. I'd need a piece of fry bread to know for sure.

picasso
7/27/2009, 12:23 PM
Camille's/Coney Beach claims to have the recipe for Rex chicken. It's pretty good, but I don't know if it is as good as Rex was. I'd need a piece of fry bread to know for sure.

well if you must know the Steer Inn in Mannford has the recipe. They have an evening buffet that I used to go to with my cousins when I lived up in the north country. Turns out they had this jalapeno chicken that was just like Rex's.
So's I asked the waitress to find out that the manager there used to run one of the Rex's.

heh.

Williesan
7/27/2009, 12:40 PM
Ti Amo's was mentioned a while back. They must be doing OK - new location opening soon in Downtown at 3rd & Cheyenne. They're still not quite as good as Mary's but I've had much worse Italian here.

Another Tulsa classic in the Mexican category is Casa Laredo. They were originally at the Farm (51st/Sheridan) and also had a location at 41st/Peoria where Wild Oats/Whole Paychec... er, Foods is now. They moved downtown too - 3rd & Boulder if I recall correctly.

I've heard Bill's is good - just haven't made it over there yet. Therefore, Ron's tops my greasy hamburger list. The one at 15th/Sheridan is the best, IMHO.

Williesan

Sooner98
7/27/2009, 12:56 PM
There's a restaurant called The French Hen, sort of tucked away in the back of the Lighthouse plaza at 71st and Yale. Really a neat little restaurant if you don't mind paying a little more. Great food, nice, quiet atmosphere, and a great place to take a date for dinner.

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2009, 01:03 PM
Let's go back in time, shall we?

Who remembers these?

Der Weinerschnitzel
Bordens Cafeteria - on top of the shopping mall
My Pie
Hemi's
The Golden Drumstick
McCulluffs
Golden Dragon
Jade East
Arthur Treachers
The Cajun Boiling Pot
The Saratoga Cafe
Crystals Pizza
Ming Palace
The Silver Plow
Sutphen's BBQ

Pricetag
7/27/2009, 01:09 PM
Let's go back in time, shall we?

Who remembers these?

The Silver Plow
The Silver Plow had the sweetest game room in all of Broken Arrow. I'll never forget their cheeseburgers, and the little cuts on the edges of the fries. Another thing I remember about that place was trying to restrain myself from drinking all of my pop before the food came--no free refills back then.

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2009, 01:12 PM
The Silver Plow had the sweetest game room in all of Broken Arrow. I'll never forget their cheeseburgers, and the little cuts on the edges of the fries. Another thing I remember about that place was trying to restrain myself from drinking all of my pop before the food came--no free refills back then.

Their Hickory Cheeseburger was the bomb. Speaking of game rooms, do you remember The Cosmic Cowboy Arcade just south and east of TSP?

Pricetag
7/27/2009, 01:14 PM
Their Hickory Cheeseburger was the bomb. Speaking of game rooms, do you remember The Cosmic Cowboy Arcade just south and east of TSP?
Yep. I always thought that was one of the coolest arcade names ever. Right up there with Quarterhorse over by Woodland Hills mall.

soonerfan28
7/27/2009, 01:16 PM
Billy Sims BBQ in the Farm. There used to be a little chinese takeout behind Which Wich at 61st and Memorial. That was always the best chinese I could find in Tulsa.

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2009, 01:18 PM
Woodland Hills mall.

Nautilus!

MrJimBeam
7/27/2009, 01:25 PM
I still love The Spudder.

Senor Tequila on 51st

Billy Ray's for all you can eat catfish.

OklahomaTuba
7/27/2009, 01:31 PM
No one mentioned braums this time?? I'm surprised.

jdsooner
7/27/2009, 01:50 PM
Tulsa Seafood:

Expensive--Bodean 3376 E 51st St
Casual--White River Fish Market 1708 N Sheridan Rd (Very good hole in the wall that has been there forever. Close to the airport.)

Mexican:

Los Cabos - Broken Arrow
151 East Bass Pro Drive
Broken Arrow, OK 74012

Los Cabos-Jenks
300 Riverwalk Terr.
Jenks, OK 74037

stoops the eternal pimp
7/27/2009, 01:55 PM
Crystals Pizza...I remember my father taking me there after he had bought me a Nintendo game machine....greatest day of my early life

kbsooner21
7/27/2009, 01:56 PM
I had Los Cabos the other day for the first time. Don't get up to Tulsa much. I thought it was pretty good. The one on the Riverwalk.

yermom
7/27/2009, 01:57 PM
Crystals Pizza...I remember my father taking me there after he had bought me a Nintendo game machine....greatest day of my early life

that place was awesome

the little cartoon theater and stuff

i think that was the first place i had Mr. Pibb

NormanPride
7/27/2009, 03:07 PM
The best Mediterranean food in town belongs to a hole in the wall place called Shish-kabob's. It's at 31st and Garnett, next to a Subway.

Burgers go to Ron's and Bill's. Both have their merits, but Bill's is a pain to get to, IMO.

Mexican, I like El Rio Verde. Cancun is also good for authentic stuff. For quick tex-mex I like El Guapo's. Their chicken mole enchiladas aren't bad...

There's a great African place called the Talking Drum at 71st and Lewis - the owner is a really friendly guy and he makes the spiciest damn soup I have ever had in my life. My Indian coworkers love it!

Another nice new place if you're watching the waistline is D'novo. It's in the same strip center as McGill's, and every entree they serve is under 500 calories. Good stuff.

Martha's is a pretty good German place, but I've heard from some natives that there's a better place down in Bixby. I haven't tried it though...

theresonly1OU
7/27/2009, 07:51 PM
One of the guys who worked at my pi pizza in its heyday is a chief investor in the deep fork group (which also owns wedge pizzeria, charley newtons, the mantle, and formerly, north fork grill). The recipe for their pizzas is (supposedly) the same one from the original my pi.

They also paid a line cook from Eishen's 5,000 for the recipe to their fried chicken....

....and it still doesn't taste anything like Eishen's. So take my first statement for what it's worth.

mikeelikee
7/27/2009, 09:16 PM
One of the guys who worked at my pi pizza in its heyday is a chief investor in the deep fork group (which also owns wedge pizzeria, charley newtons, the mantle, and formerly, north fork grill). The recipe for their pizzas is (supposedly) the same one from the original my pi.

They also paid a line cook from Eishen's 5,000 for the recipe to their fried chicken....

....and it still doesn't taste anything like Eishen's. So take my first statement for what it's worth.

I loved My Pi!! Closest thing now in the Tulsa area is Savastano's in Bixby, and a relatively new place, Little Chicago, on 11th Street east of T.U. where a McDonald's used to be.

StoopTroup
7/27/2009, 09:54 PM
I worked at Mi Pi in HS. We used to squirt vegetable oil on the kitchen floor and watch the Daisy Duke Dressed Waitresses come flying into the kitchen with a food order. The dish washer would hit the oil with a little h2O and it was a slip and slide routine that you would never forget. :D

Some of the guys played for ORU's Baseball Team....you didn't want to be around when a dough fight broke out. :D