PDA

View Full Version : *'s TE Irby out for the season

Seamus
7/25/2009, 08:12 AM
Serious knee damage (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4354725)

Gotta feel bad for the dude. If memory serves, his injury last year ended up hurting us -- Shipley was moved to TE and exposed us after Ryan Reynolds got hurt.

By Tim Griffin
ESPN.com
Archive

Texas' projected starting tight end Blaine Irby will miss the upcoming season as he recovers from a dislocated right knee injury sustained early last season.

Texas football athletic trainer Kenny Boyd confirmed that Irby sustained significant ligament and nerve damage as a result of an injury sustained in the Longhorns' 52-10 victory over Rice last Sept. 20.

Irby started three games for the Longhorns last season before his injury, producing 10 catches for 95 yards and two touchdowns.

Big 12 blog

Griffin ESPN.com's Tim Griffin writes about all things Big 12 in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

Irby, a 6-foot-3, 235-pound junior from Camarillo, Calif., has vowed to help his team in a variety of ways during the upcoming season despite not playing.

"The injury has taught me a lot of things like patience," Irby said. "It was devastating at first, but I've come a long way. I realize this is an obstacle I have to overcome and it's going to take time. I feel like I've made the best of the situation and I'm working to make sure something positive comes out of this."

After his injury, Texas went into three- and four-wide receiver formations almost exclusively as they played a tight end only on certain running plays late last season.

Texas coaches had hoped Irby would be ready to play this season after undergoing two surgeries and extensive rehabilitation during the last several months.

"It's always unfortunate any time a young man sustained such a devastating injury, but in Blaine's case it was a real blow to our offense and our team," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "He's such a tremendous leader, player and person. We have a great history of tight ends and Blaine was quickly developing into the type of player to follow in those footsteps."

With Irby missing the 2009 season, it means that junior tight ends Greg Smith and Josh Marshall will have a chance at earning the starting position. Smith started four games for the Longhorns last season after Irby's injury. The Longhorns started their final four games in 2008 with a lineup that featured four wide receivers.

The injury also could provide playing time for freshmen tight ends Trey Graham and Barrett Matthews.

Texas' team orthopedic surgeon Carey Windler said Irby has developed "drop foot" on his injured right leg as he attempted to recover from the injury.

"With a knee dislocation like Blaine sustained, damage can occur to ligaments, nerves and arteries," Windler said. "Blaine sustained significant ligament damage as well as a major nerve injury. The trauma to his knee was dramatic, and he was very fortunate that no arterial injury occurred."

Windler said that Irby's recovery has been aided by his attitude, although he isn't quite ready to play.

"With all that Blaine has been through, he has maintained an amazing attitude and worked extremely hard in his rehab," Windler said. "He has recovered exceptionally well from his reconstruction and repair of multiple ligaments, but the variable that is so unpredictable is the recovery from nerve damage. He injured the peroneal nerve and has had a second procedure for that injury.

"The nerve has not yet recovered, and drop foot is the result. Overall, Blaine has recovered well, is in a brace for the foot drop and has progressed to light running. If you saw Blaine walking on campus, he would appear normal to most observers. But that doesn't translate to being able to compete at this level at this time."

Irby produced two catches for 29 yards while playing in 11 games during his freshman season with the Longhorns in 2007.

Tim Griffin covers college football for ESPN.com.

TMcGee86
7/25/2009, 08:25 AM
At first I thought we had changed the double *'s to just a single *.

And I was happy in the pants.

Now, not so much.

OKC-SLC
7/25/2009, 12:50 PM
I feel for all kids who get hurt like this. Whorn or not.

ouwapiti
7/25/2009, 06:25 PM
shipley was the slot receiver...nobody covered him all day on crossing or dig route !!!!!!

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 06:43 PM
Shipley is still running free across the middle of our D. :mad:

...and Venables is still unaware of that. ;) ;)

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 06:43 PM
Now to wait for someone to come along and tell me it's easy to be a critic. :rolleyes:

:P

Crucifax Autumn
7/25/2009, 09:16 PM
OK...you assinine Sunday morning coach! I don't see you pulling in millions ya moran!

:P

JLEW1818
7/26/2009, 12:19 AM
Ship was not doing that when Ryan was in... you can even ask horn fans.. who know football

badger
7/26/2009, 09:27 AM
Poor kid!

Crucifax Autumn
7/26/2009, 09:29 AM
Ship was not doing that when Ryan was in... you can even ask horn fans.. who know football

So you mean people other than the bowtie bowling pin?

JLEW1818
7/26/2009, 10:27 AM
lol... so i guess they are doing a 4 WR set again.. at least this time, we will be able to prepare for it.

OK2U
8/20/2009, 01:30 PM
Shorthorns lost another TE:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4410414

(Don't jinx Gresham with neg' speak)

JLEW1818
8/20/2009, 01:32 PM
yep, the will just go 4 WR now .. but we will actually be prepared for it this time

fwsooner22
8/20/2009, 01:35 PM
That stinks......hate the pre-season injury even for *Horns*

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 01:41 PM
yep, the will just go 4 WR now .. but we will actually be prepared for it this time

I hope we put another db on the field in those situations.

Collier11
8/20/2009, 01:41 PM
I know texas is ghey but they need to ease up on those tight ends, Hey Oh!

IronHorseSooner
8/20/2009, 07:11 PM
This stinks, even for UTerus. This is going to be even worse for their run game. If they get into a situation where they need that tough yard, along with not having a true RB, they are going to be in a bad way.

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 07:15 PM
This stinks, even for UTerus. This is going to be even worse for their run game. If they get into a situation where they need that tough yard, along with not having a true RB, they are going to be in a bad way.

Play action to Shipley!

;)

Curly Bill
8/20/2009, 07:15 PM
If ya can't run play action shouldn't work.

olevetonahill
8/20/2009, 07:16 PM
Like has been said I hate that a Kid gets hurt and misses out .
Get well soon

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 07:16 PM
If ya can't run play action shouldn't work.

Fine then, just freaking pass then.

:mad: ;)

Curly Bill
8/20/2009, 07:18 PM
Fine then, just freaking pass then.

:mad: ;)

Certainly worked against us last year. :O :mad:

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 07:18 PM
We will be ready for it this year.

olevetonahill
8/20/2009, 07:19 PM

Shoulda been ready LAST year .

need to be READY every year and Make Adjustments

Curly Bill
8/20/2009, 07:19 PM

If by we, you mean you and me then yes.

If by we, you mean our BV coached defense, then maybe. ;)

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 07:21 PM
I think it was more Brandon Crows fault for his pass coverage skill. If Box was ready to go I think we would have been fine, but he was coming off an injury.

Curly Bill
8/20/2009, 07:24 PM
I think it was more Brandon Crows fault for his pass coverage skill. If Box was ready to go I think we would have been fine, but he was coming off an injury.

Dude, they just kept throwing to a wide open Shipley, almost any high school DC would have adjusted the coverage to take some of that easy pickins away.

Besides that, any scheme that would have the MLB primarily responsible for covering Shipley is craptastic to start with.

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 07:26 PM
Dude, they just kept throwing to a wide open Shipley, almost any high school DC would have adjusted the coverage to take some of that easy pickins away.

Besides that, any scheme that would have the MLB primarily responsible for covering Shipley is craptastic to start with.

Right, they could have put another DB on the field. With him running through the middle it was Brandons job.

Curly Bill
8/20/2009, 07:28 PM
Right, they could have put another DB on the field. With him running through the middle it was Brandons job.

Certainly the MLB has to try and disrupt the short pass over the middle, but seeing that was never going to happen the DC should be held responsible for not adjusting.

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 07:30 PM
Certainly the MLB has to try and disrupt the short pass over the middle, but seeing that was never going to happen the DC should be held responsible for not adjusting.

Exactly.

BoulderSooner79
8/20/2009, 07:41 PM

I assume Crow was doing the best he could given his training/experience/ability. I hate trashing kids doing their best - it's the coaches responsibility prepare the kids and come up with schemes to use them effectively.

And sometimes other teams are just better. We gripe about the pass over the middle, but I saw the horns tear up team after team doing the same thing. The winning play against tOSU was a pass over the middle against a very well respected defense. UT got very good at this scheme.

sooneron
8/20/2009, 07:52 PM
I assume Crow was doing the best he could given his training/experience/ability. I hate trashing kids doing their best - it's the coaches responsibility prepare the kids and come up with schemes to use them effectively.

And sometimes other teams are just better. We gripe about the pass over the middle, but I saw the horns tear up team after team doing the same thing. The winning play against tOSU was a pass over the middle against a very well respected defense. UT got very good at this scheme.

^ This is pretty much the truth. We did the same thing with M Clayton. Bam, hit him 6 steps off the LOS. He makes one slow dude miss and he's gone.

adoniijahsooner
8/21/2009, 04:20 AM
Shut this unholy thread down, and please dont post anymore karma inducing threads about our opponents losing players, before we lose another member from the squad.

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 05:05 AM
Shut this unholy thread down, and please dont post anymore karma inducing threads about our opponents losing players, before we lose another member from the squad.

No.

Curly Bill
8/21/2009, 05:11 PM
Good call, I don't believe in superstition either.

BoulderSooner79
8/21/2009, 05:49 PM
Good call, I don't believe in superstition either.

Me neither. This thread has nothing to do with future injuries -- knock wood.

Widescreen
8/21/2009, 08:02 PM
I saw a horn fan say that playing TE for Texas is a lot like being the drummer for Spinal Tap. :D

CK Sooner
8/22/2009, 08:35 AM

Your right he probably tried his best, but it wasn't enough. I am not trashing him at all.

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2009, 10:05 AM
Your right he probably tried his best, but it wasn't enough. I am not trashing him at all.

Happens all the time - teams have strengths and weaknesses and the coaches have to play a complicated game of chess. I like CFB mainly because he players are not pros and as someone said "there ain't no waiver wire". This is why I get so tired of the piling on Jimmy Stevens - if he is not the best we have, he wouldn't be out there. The only time I get on players is when they pull something like the pre-Fiesta bowl Granger thing. I assume they are practicing and playing hard or they would be on the bench. Now the coaches *are* highly paid professionals, so I feel fine tossing some criticism their way.