PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on this....?

Curly Bill
7/24/2009, 10:45 PM
Seven or eight months ago out of the blue I started getting Blender magazine and also Spin magazine. About five months ago I started getting Rolling Stone, and about three months ago I started getting Maxim.

I have not subscribed to any of these, in fact other than Maxim perhaps, there's no way I'd pay good money for them. I haven't filled out any surveys, entered any contests, haven't bought anything along those lines, I've never gotten a bill for them, nothing.

I got a copy of Maxim yesterday that had a sticker on it saying that Blender was ceasing publication and that the balance of my paid subscription will be fulfilled by Maxim. That's awfully nice, but I never subscribed and I never paid for Blender or any of these others.

This ever happen to anyone else, or anyone got any ideas?

...and I've asked friends and family, and they've all said they have nothing to do with it. No complimentary subscriptions for a friend or any of that kind of stuff.

stoopified
7/24/2009, 11:11 PM
Birthday present?Christmas present?Fathers Day?Qwanza?Groundhog Day?

Curly Bill
7/24/2009, 11:22 PM
Not that I can figure out, or that anyone has admitted to.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2009, 11:39 PM
my guess is you filled out something on line and the fine print said you'd receive complimentary copies. then they try to get you to pay for a renewal somewhere down the road.

OUHOMER
7/25/2009, 06:33 AM
Double check your credit cards. Make sure this are no hits to it. I got hit for $35 charge once, next thing you know i was getting Playboy. It was a yearly subscription.

I told the wife, I DONT KNOW NOTHIN ABOUT IT>

Veritas
7/25/2009, 09:28 AM
Rolling Stone? Be careful, that magazine has been known to be hazardous to your IQ.

I'd never complain about Maxim tho. :)

Scott D
7/25/2009, 12:42 PM
yer ****ed...next week you're going to wake up in a bathtub full of ice missing a kidney. :D

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 04:20 PM
Beats me what happened. I really don't remember filling anything out online, or otherwise for this to happen.

I like to think that I've got a secret admirer somewhere that's doing this for me. I hope she's hawt! :D

Turd_Ferguson
7/25/2009, 04:28 PM
Beats me what happened. I really don't remember filling anything out online, or otherwise for this to happen.

I like to think that I've got a secret admirer somewhere that's doing this for me. I hope she's hawt! :DWith your luck, it's prolly CK.:D

Petro-Sooner
7/25/2009, 04:34 PM
My old roomates dental school buddies played a joke on a classmate of theirs. They got his guy a subscription to Cat Fancy. He was pissed! :D

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 04:36 PM
With your luck, it's prolly CK.:D

:mad:

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 04:38 PM
My old roomates dental school buddies played a joke on a classmate of theirs. They got his guy a subscription to Cat Fancy. He was pissed! :D

I can see someone doing that as a joke, but these are magazines that while I have never subscribed to them myself, I don't mind getting them. Maxim especially. ;)

batonrougesooner
7/25/2009, 04:38 PM
I've had this happen before. The magazine just starts showing up and then in 3-6 months they start sending friendly reminders to renew. Then they send threatening little notes with statements such as "send your account to collections". This is a sleazy tactic they use. They try to get you to think you really owe them money and they bet on the few people who will actually pay the bill. It's a win-win because they get to skim some money from some people they scare and they get to increase their circulation numbers for their advertisers.

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 04:44 PM
So you're saying I'm gonna have to open up a can on em? :D

batonrougesooner
7/25/2009, 04:45 PM
Just throw the statements away and continue to read the magazines.

Turd_Ferguson
7/25/2009, 04:46 PM
If they give ya a prepaid return envelope for the payment, tape it to a cinder block and mail it.:D

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 04:47 PM
So far, no statements, and some of em I've been getting for 7 or 8 months.

...and yeah, they're not getting a dime from me.

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 04:47 PM
If they give ya a prepaid return envelope for the payment, tape it to a cinder block and mail it.:D

What's wrong with taping a dead cat to it....:confused:

Turd_Ferguson
7/25/2009, 04:49 PM
What's wrong with taping a dead cat to it....:confused:too many uses for dead cat's around the house.

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 04:51 PM
too many uses for dead cat's around the house.

I knew there was a logical answer for that. Thanks. ;)

Turd_Ferguson
7/25/2009, 04:58 PM
Exhibit #1

http://kattie.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/cartoon_catbig.gif
:D

Scott D
7/25/2009, 11:18 PM
well it's likely that they're addressed to someone else, but your inability to read precludes you noticing that detail ;)

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 11:20 PM
I've looked several times to make sure that's not the case...

...cause yeah at first I'm thinking it was odd I was getting these things.

Scott D
7/25/2009, 11:21 PM
I'm still pretty sure you're gonna end up missing a kidney out of this....If you got switched from Blender to Maxim it's because Maxim is the parent magazine. Another potential line that could have brought these to you was if you filled out any sort of online survey in the last year.

or like turd said, you got a secret admirer in ck. :D

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 11:24 PM
CK bought a motorcycle -- he's too broke to be sending anyone magazines. :D

Scott D
7/25/2009, 11:28 PM
how you think he got the money...selling magazine subscriptions door to door to assist in his rehabilitation from his addiction to crack cocaine. ;)

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 11:30 PM
I see....now it's all coming together.

Turd_Ferguson
7/25/2009, 11:57 PM
how you think he got the money...selling magazine subscriptions door to door to assist in his rehabilitation from his addiction to man crack. ;)fixed:D

Scott D
7/25/2009, 11:58 PM
that's what the ;) was for Turd...I hadda leave something to the imagination :D

Crucifax Autumn
7/26/2009, 12:28 AM
I still say it was his sponsors gift from the ACLU!

LosAngelesSooner
7/26/2009, 01:00 AM
Seven or eight months ago out of the blue I started getting Blender magazine and also Spin magazine. About five months ago I started getting Rolling Stone, and about three months ago I started getting Maxim.

I have not subscribed to any of these, in fact other than Maxim perhaps, there's no way I'd pay good money for them. I haven't filled out any surveys, entered any contests, haven't bought anything along those lines, I've never gotten a bill for them, nothing.

I got a copy of Maxim yesterday that had a sticker on it saying that Blender was ceasing publication and that the balance of my paid subscription will be fulfilled by Maxim. That's awfully nice, but I never subscribed and I never paid for Blender or any of these others.

This ever happen to anyone else, or anyone got any ideas?

...and I've asked friends and family, and they've all said they have nothing to do with it. No complimentary subscriptions for a friend or any of that kind of stuff.One time I had this person who really, really annoyed me. So I went to the magazine stand and pulled out subscription cards to every crappy magazine that I possibly could, filled them out with all her info (after I figured out her address, etc), and mailed them in.

She wouldn't end up owing them anything, but she'd have to jump through hoops to cancel the subscriptions and get off their mailing lists.

Oh...and most of the magazines were bridal magazines and she was...how you say...quite an unlikely candidate to ever get married.

Not saying I did this to you, but somebody COULD have. :D

batonrougesooner
7/26/2009, 01:30 AM
Oh...and most of the magazines were bridal magazines and she was...how you say...quite an unlikely candidate to ever get married.

Is this why you were dating her?

LosAngelesSooner
7/26/2009, 01:32 AM
Heh...hardly.