PDA

View Full Version : Houstonians...

Okla-homey
7/24/2009, 08:09 PM
question por favor from a concerned papa. My now 23 y/o college educated, unattached, blonde daughter has it in her carapace she wants to live and work in Houston. Apparently, Tulsa isn't exciting enough. What say you?

Petro-Sooner
7/24/2009, 08:10 PM
I'll just sit here and listen. :pop: ;)

StoopTroup
7/24/2009, 08:11 PM
Sounds like she's giving you the old heave Homey.

Okla-homey
7/24/2009, 08:17 PM
Sounds like she's giving you the old heave Homey.

Perhaps, but she's got some old sorority sister down there whom she's recently visited and now she can't stop talking about how cool Houston is. I understand wanting to live in a big city when you're young and all...but Houston? And for the record, I am not paying for spanish lessons.

KC//CRIMSON
7/24/2009, 08:26 PM
A. She's right, Tulsa is nowhere near exciting enough.
B. If she marries a Mexican in Houston you won't have to worry about Spanish lessons.

Okla-homey
7/24/2009, 08:33 PM
A. She's right, Tulsa is nowhere near exciting enough.
B. If she marries a Mexican in Houston you won't have to worry about Spanish lessons.

If she does that, I may have to perform a late-term abortion (72d trimester).;)

For the record, I don't care if she falls in love with a messican, as long as he's legal, educated, religious, and not a democrat.

Boomer Mooner
7/24/2009, 08:49 PM
I've lived here for almost 20 years. It sucks. She'll figure it out.

Jacie
7/24/2009, 08:49 PM
Well . . . I have four daughters so maybe my experience is relevant here.

The oldest decided OKC didn't cut it so she moved to NYC where she lives on her own (Brooklyn, actually but she works in NYC) and cannot imagine living anywhere else.

Next oldest (and only one married so far) lives down the road from us with her hubbie.

Next one lives in OKC where she and oldest were born, on her own, still going to nursing school.

Youngest just graduated from college and wants to go to grad school. She also wants to be with her college BF. He graduated a year ahead of her and returned home to California so . . . youngest is moving there next month to continue school.

Point is, how ya gonna keep em down on the farm?

Oldest one showed that a girl from Oklahoma can make it in the Big City, which has to be at least some inspiration for youngest preparing to move across the country.

Give em your love and support and trust em to work things out on their own.

Okla-homey
7/24/2009, 08:50 PM
I've lived here for almost 20 years. It sucks. She'll figure it out.

Yeah, but you can't tell a 23 y/o sh1t. Because they know everything. And stuff. The kicker is, people pay real cash money for my advice, but my own kid ignores me.;)

StoopTroup
7/24/2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah, but you can't tell a 23 y/o sh1t. Because they know everything. And stuff. The kicker is, people pay real cash money for my advice, but my own kid ignores me.;)

Enjoy the money and save some of it for your Grandson Pepe's College Education. :D ;) :pop:

bluedogok
7/24/2009, 09:26 PM
I'm not much of a fan of Houston but I can see the attraction for a young single person. It is large and has its cosmopolitan areas and the downtown area has been improving greatly, the burbs are just like you find anywhere else but somehow I doubt that she is interested in those. I have friends down there who have moved from all over the country and most like it. You can hear almost any language being spoken there, it is a truly international city.

Most people from this region that I know either love it or hate it, my former boss loves the place, he grew up in Austin and Houston (UofH grad) and lives on the water in Kemah. We have considered at times moving to Galveston or Kemah/Clearlake just because of the business opportunities there close to Houston. There are worse places that she could choose

Boomer Mooner
7/24/2009, 10:07 PM

My daughter is only 16 and you can't tell her sh1t either! Thats why I say she'll figure it out. She may like it though. Like you said, you cant tell her anything anyway so you might as well support her.:)

SoonerStormchaser
7/24/2009, 10:16 PM

And that's why I joined the USAF and got my commission at 23...got engaged to the now-hawt wife as well.

I still know everything though...about nothing!

picasso
7/24/2009, 11:08 PM
hella good Mexican food in Houston.

LoyalFan
7/24/2009, 11:52 PM
Air pollution+Heat+Humidity+Horrendous Traffic+Katrina refugee trash+Crime rate+Prime target for major terror attack=Houston

LF

Boomer Mooner
7/25/2009, 12:27 AM
hella good Mexican food in Houston.

That's no ****! And killer seafood too. Soft shell crab season is the ****! Really there are lots of excellent restaurants here of every type, from hole in the wall joints to as fancy as you can afford.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
7/25/2009, 10:15 AM
Homey, I was born and raised in Midwest City and moved to Houston when I got married and I actually love it here. It has its bad places, just like everywhere else, but there is a lot to do and it is a great major city without the hassles of LA, NYC, or Chicago. I would very much recommend it to her and if you want to know the good places to live, just let me know. She should be aware, summers are terribly muggy, but winters are amazing here!

Jacie
7/25/2009, 10:21 AM
. . . there is a lot to do and it is a great major city without the hassles of LA, NYC, or Chicago.

My oldest in NYC paid a visit to LA after her then BF moved there and he was trying to get her to follow. She came back with the observation that LA was too much like OKC . . .

AggieTool
7/25/2009, 10:35 AM
Houston has a great job market!

Not to mention a great assortment of large-strapping male "Obama fans".:D

Boomer_Sooner_sax
7/25/2009, 11:21 AM
My oldest in NYC paid a visit to LA after her then BF moved there and he was trying to get her to follow. She came back with the observation that LA was too much like OKC . . .

Really? How? I don't see that.

Turd_Ferguson
7/25/2009, 11:25 AM
Really? How? I don't see that.LA and OKC are alike. It's just that LA is really, really, really bigger and they have rock and cacti, and mountains, and the Pacific ocean and a lot of weirdo's. Oh, and they have LAS too.:D

GottaHavePride
7/25/2009, 12:44 PM
The actual city of Los Angeles is pretty lame. All the interesting stuff is in other cities around Los Angeles. ;)

For the record, I've been to Houston. I don't really like the place. But there's a job open down there, so I'll be auditioning for it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/25/2009, 12:52 PM
My fave bumper sticker:

There's nothing going on in HOUSTON...
So I'm GOING TO SEGUIN!

7/25/2009, 01:53 PM
Not my cup of tea... i have nearly the same weather here in Aggieland and it isn't much fun. But she's a kiddo trying to get out on her own... there are worse places. And it's a reasonable days drive.

Okla-homey
7/25/2009, 02:05 PM
After further review, I have determined Houston's allure also has something to do with a former TU football player and Petroleum Engineering major who happens to be the new B-I-L of her sorority sister. She met said fellow at the April US Virgin Islands wedding of said sorority sister and has kept up a regular correspondence with him since then. :texan:

She's been to Houston once since the wedding to see him, he's flying her down there next weekend for some salt-water fishing fandango, and he's sheduled a trip to Tulsa to meet her mother and I.:eek:

He works for this outfit:
http://www.nov.com/

KC//CRIMSON
7/25/2009, 02:45 PM
After further review, I have determined Houston's allure also has something to do with a former TU football player and Petroleum Engineering major who happens to be the new B-I-L of her sorority sister. She met said fellow at the April US Virgin Islands wedding of said sorority sister and has kept up a regular correspondence with him since then. :texan:

She's been to Houston once since the wedding to see him, he's flying her down there next weekend for some salt-water fishing fandango, and he's sheduled a trip to Tulsa to meet her mother and I.:eek:

He works for this outfit:
http://www.nov.com/

Pssssst! since you're the last to be let in on everything, they're doing the humpty dance.

Okla-homey
7/25/2009, 02:52 PM
Pssssst! since you're the last to be let in on everything, they're doing the humpty dance.

<hands over ears while humming Boomer Sooner at high volume> What did you say? I can't here you. Huh?;)

AggieTool
7/25/2009, 09:09 PM
Prime target for major terror attack=Houston

Auntie Em!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAH

:D

Houston is already "captured territory".:rolleyes:

AggieTool
7/25/2009, 09:11 PM
Air pollution+Heat+Humidity+Horrendous Traffic+Katrina refugee trash+Crime rate+Prime target for major terror attack=Houston

LF

What about the Ike refugees?

boomerinhou
7/26/2009, 09:47 PM
question por favor from a concerned papa. My now 23 y/o college educated, unattached, blonde daughter has it in her carapace she wants to live and work in Houston. Apparently, Tulsa isn't exciting enough. What say you?

I've lived in Houston for over 15 years. I love it. Most areas of town and burbs are the same as anywhere else. Houston is just a bigger city and more spread out. You are going to live and work in one part of it, just like any other city. And of course, Houston has it's crime neighborhoods, but so does every other city. You never go over to that part of town, so it's not a problem.

Rent and cost of living is comparable to Tulsa, OKC and Dallas, auto insurance is about double than what it is in Oklahoma. People are very friendly. There are also TONS of things to do...many free events and activities going on every weekend. Houston is an international city, very multicultual. Lots of multicultural events all over the city where you can taste the food and see the traditions.

As mentioned, the job market is better than just about anywhere else in the country. Many different industries. Great opportunities.

I'm also a Tulsan and worked and lived in OKC for a few years. I love Tulsa. But I also felt I outgrew it and wanted a bigger city.

If you want to find out more about Houston, the local OU Club has some great links.

http://www.ouclubofhouston.org/en/cms/?115

If your daughter is an OU grad or not, she should contact the local Houston club. They would be happy to help her any way they can.

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2009, 10:05 PM
<hands over ears while humming Boomer Sooner at high volume> What did you say? I can't here you. Huh?;)

I'm sure you've instilled her with high moral values and that they sleep in separate houses when they hang out together. Also, she blushes when he attempts to hold her hand while swinging on the veranda.

Better?

OUAlumni1990
7/26/2009, 11:36 PM
I've lived in Dallas and Houston both. I currently live in Houston and have since 1998. Good points and bad:

Good:

1) VERY strong job market and good pay too! no matter how many times i get fired from a job i seem to land another good one in 2 weeks or less. (just being honest, heh)

2) Restaurants are second to none, both service and quality of the food. You get spoiled here, and when you have to go anywhere else in the country you will be disappointed with the restaurants.

3) Cost of living is very reasonable. Houses normally are about $75-$80 per sqft here which is comparable to Oklahoma. No other major city the size of Houston can even come close.

Bad:

1) Traffic

2) Humidity

3) If your white and don't like being the minority, you may not like it here. I personally don't give a rats hiney, it doesn't bother me.

Overall I like it here. I passed up many opportunities to come here before I finally decided to take the plunge, because I had heard all the stereotypes and believed them to be true. Really, there only somewhat true, but if you live in a nice area, not true at all. Katy, Sugarland, Clearlake, all very nice places to live...

Also, when I first moved here I was a little disappointed in the night life here, which could work in your favor as you will be rest assured your daughter will likely be at home on the weekend or at a nice restaurant. This is where Dallas outshines Houston. Dallas night life is really neato....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/26/2009, 11:58 PM
I've lived in Houston for over 15 years. I love it. Most areas of town and burbs are the same as anywhere else. Houston is just a bigger city and more spread out. You are going to live and work in one part of it, just like any other city. And of course, Houston has it's crime neighborhoods, but so does every other city. You never go over to that part of town, so it's not a problem.

Rent and cost of living is comparable to Tulsa, OKC and Dallas, auto insurance is about double than what it is in Oklahoma. People are very friendly. There are also TONS of things to do...many free events and activities going on every weekend. Houston is an international city, very multicultual. Lots of multicultural events all over the city where you can taste the food and see the traditions.

As mentioned, the job market is better than just about anywhere else in the country. Many different industries. Great opportunities.

I'm also a Tulsan and worked and lived in OKC for a few years. I love Tulsa. But I also felt I outgrew it and wanted a bigger city.

If you want to find out more about Houston, the local OU Club has some great links.

http://www.ouclubofhouston.org/en/cms/?115

If your daughter is an OU grad or not, she should contact the local Houston club. They would be happy to help her any way they can.XLNT Post, Rookie!

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2009, 12:14 AM
I'm sure you've instilled her with high moral values and that they sleep in separate houses when they hang out together. Also, she blushes when he attempts to hold her hand while swinging on the veranda.

Better?

Pssssst! Homey, that's code for their shagging like minxes!

Petro-Sooner
7/27/2009, 12:43 AM
Its very likely I'll end up in houston. Nice to hear some thoughts on where and where not to live. West/Southwest is in?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
7/27/2009, 07:26 AM
Everyone complains about the humidity, and rightly so, but the winters here are awesome. Temps are generally in the 60s and 70s for highs and it is absoultely beautiful here from October to early May.

1890MilesToNorman
7/27/2009, 08:03 AM
I grew up in OKC and I moved to Houston when I was 26, lasted exactly 6 months through one summer. Tried Dallas fer 6 months and had my apt. robbed while I was away on vacation then promptly moved to Maine.

Too damn hot down there and a lot less crime up here!

sooneron
7/27/2009, 09:49 AM
I used to love Houston. Lived there as a young'in. Now? Yuck. You can't get from air conditioned vestibule to air conditioned vehicle fast enough!

sooneron
7/27/2009, 09:51 AM
Its very likely I'll end up in houston. Nice to hear some thoughts on where and where not to live. West/Southwest is in?

pfft! No. River Oaks, bitches!:texan:

boomerinhou
7/27/2009, 10:11 AM

Yes, the West and Southwest parts of town are great. I live on the west side...just west of Beltway 8 and I-10 area near Memorial. Nice part of town. Most neighborhods west of the Galleria (outside the 610 Loop) are great. Further west to Dairy Ashford and highway 6 around the west Houston Energy corridor are also nice. Other neighborhoods and burbs worth considering (depending where you will work):

West (I-10 - Katy Freeway)...Katy (Ft. Bend County)
Southwest (I-59 - Southwest Freeway)...Sugar Land (Ft. Bend County)
Northwest (I-249 - Northwest Freeway)...Cypress
North (I-45 - North Freeway)...Spring, The Woodlands (Montgomery County)
Northwest (I-59 North to FM 1960)...Humble, Kingwood

Nice neighborhoods, great schools, restaurants and shopping, friendly people.

Again, contact the local Houston OU club (via their website). They will be happy to get you more information.

Hope this helped!!!

sooneron
7/27/2009, 10:18 AM
Yes, the West and Southwest parts of town are great. I live on the west side...just west of Beltway 8 and I-10 area near Memorial.

Again, contact the local Houston OU club (via their website). They will be happy to get you more information.

Hope this helped!!!
You must live very close to my Dad et al.

He lives down the street from Rummel Creek Elem.

OUAlumni1990
7/27/2009, 11:24 AM
We live in the Copperfield area (Cy Fair schools)

Fraggle145
7/27/2009, 11:28 AM
Houston sucks ***.

soonermix
7/27/2009, 11:35 AM
i moved down to houston for a job
it is or can be as exciting as you make it.
down town, rice village, midtown all fun places.

and about only 7 hrs driving from houston to okc
about 1 hr 45 in the air i believe will rodgers to houston hobby

JohnnyMack
7/27/2009, 11:37 AM
I couldn't take the weather. I need fall and winter.

OklahomaTuba
7/27/2009, 11:44 AM
I couldn't take the whorn and aggie fans.

Fraggle145
7/27/2009, 11:51 AM
i moved down to houston for a job
it is or can be as exciting as you make it.
down town, rice village, midtown all fun places.

and about only 7 hrs driving from houston to okc
about 1 hr 45 in the air i believe will rodgers to houston hobby

You are dumb.

You want to move back and you know it.

OUAlumni1990
7/27/2009, 11:52 AM

What aggie fans? They only make themselves known (and in your face) if they win, which hasn't been for awhile...

picasso
7/27/2009, 12:04 PM
my sis lives near Bel Air.

Turd_Ferguson
7/27/2009, 12:05 PM
funny, my mom used to smoke Bel air's.

JLEW1818
7/27/2009, 12:12 PM

I love Houston. I love Tulsa too tho.

Let me know where she moves to in Houston tho....:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

soonermix
7/27/2009, 01:24 PM
You are dumb.

You want to move back and you know it.

this is not new

IB4OU2
7/27/2009, 01:45 PM

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Fraggle145
7/27/2009, 01:53 PM
this is not new

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

boomerinhou
7/27/2009, 03:18 PM
You must live very close to my Dad et al.

He lives down the street from Rummel Creek Elem.

I'm VERY close to Rummel Creek Elementary Sooneron...but I'm just south of Memorial...

boomerinhou
7/27/2009, 03:22 PM

Hasn't been a problem since 2000. In fact, in that regard, it's actually more fun to live down here now....:D

BOOMER!!!!!!!!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
7/27/2009, 03:28 PM
Yes, the West and Southwest parts of town are great. I live on the west side...just west of Beltway 8 and I-10 area near Memorial. Nice part of town. Most neighborhods west of the Galleria (outside the 610 Loop) are great. Further west to Dairy Ashford and highway 6 around the west Houston Energy corridor are also nice. Other neighborhoods and burbs worth considering (depending where you will work):

West (I-10 - Katy Freeway)...Katy (Ft. Bend County)
Southwest (I-59 - Southwest Freeway)...Sugar Land (Ft. Bend County)
Northwest (I-249 - Northwest Freeway)...Cypress
North (I-45 - North Freeway)...Spring, The Woodlands (Montgomery County)
Northwest (I-59 North to FM 1960)...Humble, Kingwood

Hope this helped!!!

I would also through Pearland in there too. Becoming the next big place in the Houston area as well.