PDA

View Full Version : Allsome story about a Legal Immigrant

olevetonahill
7/23/2009, 11:41 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/072309dnmetlongwalk.4262511.html?nTar=OPUR

CrimsonJim
7/23/2009, 11:51 PM
Good read.

olevetonahill
7/24/2009, 01:12 AM
Good read.

Thanks

Crucifax Autumn
7/24/2009, 01:32 AM
Refreshing to see a story of an immigrant flying OUR flag. I'm not the biggest illegal basher around here and I actually feel for them when they are being taken advantage of and mistreated and wish their home-lands were better places so they'd be able to survive their, but this guy is a breath of fresh air compared to all the azzholes that march around carrying the flag of another nation and spouting off a bunch of non-English gibberish. And before anyone jumps on me for that, I feel the same way about people flying the confederate flag as well, and the ****tards flying soviet or nazi flags can suck it too.

There...Equal oppoertunity post sure to **** off everyone on every side!

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2009, 01:54 AM
He gets a visa in only 60 days - God Bless America!!!

Crucifax Autumn
7/24/2009, 01:55 AM
Would you prefer they issue them same-day?

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2009, 01:59 AM
Would you prefer they issue them same-day?

I know some who have been waiting 12 years.

Crucifax Autumn
7/24/2009, 02:04 AM
Are they waiting or have they been denied and keep re-applying and appealing? I know of musicians from England that have had to cancel tours due to being denied thanks to youthful crimes or recent drug busts, but I still don't see that as a reason to open the whole thing up and just print the friggin' things out like school IDs on orientation day.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2009, 02:50 AM
Are they waiting or have they been denied and keep re-applying and appealing? I know of musicians from England that have had to cancel tours due to being denied thanks to youthful crimes or recent drug busts, but I still don't see that as a reason to open the whole thing up and just print the friggin' things out like school IDs on orientation day.

no, they have not been denied. the process just takes that long for family-based petitions.

Crucifax Autumn
7/24/2009, 03:06 AM
I actually find that rather hard to believe considering how fast short term visas are granted for touring groups, actors, etc. not to mention the huge numbers of middle easterners and asians still getting in on work and student visas.

But, since I know little about it, I'll let you have that one conditionally. I don't concede the point really, but I concede I haven't researched it. If I had to guess I'd say that maybe it takes so long for the legal immigrants thanks to the a-holes that take up so much of immigration's time by sneaking in, but that's just a wild stab in the dark.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2009, 03:10 AM
from july 2009 visa bulletin:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4512.html

(NOTE: Numbers are available only for applicants whose priority date is earlier than the cut-off date listed below.)

all others China India Mexico Philippines

1st 15NOV02 15NOV02 15NOV02 01JAN91 01SEP93
2A 22DEC04 22DEC04 22DEC04 22JUN02 22DEC04
2B 15APR01 15APR01 15APR01 01MAY92 01APR98
3rd 22OCT00 22OCT00 22OCT00 01JUL91 01JUL91
4th 22OCT98 22OCT98 22OCT98 15JUN95 08AUG8

for example, if your U.S. citizen parent petitioned for you (unmarried son or daughter from Mexico) in 1991, you are now eligible for a green card. If the parent petitioned in 1992 you are still waiting 17 years later.

so 60 days to get a visa is GREAT!

Crucifax Autumn
7/24/2009, 03:17 AM
Do you think maybe the fact that the guy's dad was a natural born US citizen who served in the US military may have bumped him ahead of some guy that showed up here in 1989, became a citizen, and then started trying to get his family over here? Just askin'.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2009, 03:21 AM
Do you think maybe the fact that the guy's dad was a natural born US citizen who served in the US military may have bumped him ahead of some guy that showed up here in 1989, became a citizen, and then started trying to get his family over here? Just askin'.

probably. and we treat refugees from communist countries differently. swim to shore from cuba and you're here to stay.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2009, 03:32 AM
I actually find that rather hard to believe considering how fast short term visas are granted for touring groups, actors, etc. not to mention the huge numbers of middle easterners and asians still getting in on work and student visas.

family based petitions are different from work and tourist petitions. but the kicker is, if you have a family based petition in the process, it is very difficult to get a tourist visa to visit the family - it's a catch 22 - your petition for a green card proves you want to stay permanently so giving you a tourist visa is too risky - you may never go home!

work petitions are easier for entertainers and athletes as well as high skill areas - medicine, professors, etc.
and work petitions are not permanent.

work petitions for agriculture, hotel, restaurant ,etc are so full of red tape and expensive it isn't viable for the employee or the employer. needs to be overhauled for H2A and H2B guest worker visas to really work. this should be the heart of immigration reform.

Crucifax Autumn
7/24/2009, 04:05 AM
probably. and we treat refugees from communist countries differently. swim to shore from cuba and you're here to stay.

Put me at the top of the list that says that's screwed up...Last thing we need is more Cubans in Miami voting for the likes of Pat Buchanan while simultaneously marching for immigrant rights. Equally silly is how Hatians fleeing for the same reasons as the Cubans get turned around and sent back. The whole policy is silly and needs to be revised to be equal among all illegals and legals as well. Maybe if we weren't so willing to let certain people in and turn certain people away, we'd be in a better position on 9/11 and in the arguments about who to give amnesty to and who can get a visa.

The entire system is retarded and needs to be overhauled.

Crucifax Autumn
7/24/2009, 04:07 AM
family based petitions are different from work and tourist petitions. but the kicker is, if you have a family based petition in the process, it is very difficult to get a tourist visa to visit the family - it's a catch 22 - your petition for a green card proves you want to stay permanently so giving you a tourist visa is too risky - you may never go home!

work petitions are easier for entertainers and athletes as well as high skill areas - medicine, professors, etc.
and work petitions are not permanent.

work petitions for agriculture, hotel, restaurant ,etc are so full of red tape and expensive it isn't viable for the employee or the employer. needs to be overhauled for H2A and H2B guest worker visas to really work. this should be the heart of immigration reform.

Or maybe we shouldn't pretend there is a such thing as a temporary hotel maid or grape picker!

StoopTroup
7/24/2009, 05:30 AM
Mastercard>Visa

Chuck Bao
7/24/2009, 10:15 AM
Nice story, Olevt.

This guy got his visa approved in 60 days under the Orderly Departure Program that was based in Bangkok. One of my friends worked to help resettle Vietnamese refugees to the US during that time. I know that he would enjoy reading that story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orderly_Departure_Program

On a side issue, I am not at all confident of getting Nope a tourist visa for next summer, but we are still going to try.

olevetonahill
7/24/2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks Chuck
Leave it to juan to say something Snarly .

SanJoaquinSooner
7/24/2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks Chuck
Leave it to juan to say something Snarly .

you mean this?:

He gets a visa in only 60 days - God Bless America!!!

I mean it. Hats off to his good fortune. Not an ounce of snarliness intended.